Harry and Chelsy: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry wouldn't have to give up the army if he married Chelsy or anyone. But like the Yorks, Harry would also find himself away for military obligations. Call me crazy but I think Chelsy could handle it a little better than Sarah.

Its worth noting that I don't think that Chelsy could practice law full time and be a royal as well. If she decided to practice law she would have find non controversial cases so she doesn't appear to have an opinion. She would have to walk a tightrope in regards to what cases she could have.

If Chelsy and Prince Harry got married, would she still be able to pursue her career in law? If she wasn't, then she would have to make a choice between the two, a law career or Prince Harry.

Let's look at the example of the Countess of Wessex. After marrying a prince who was 7th in line to the throne, she continued working for her public relations firm. Then she got caught saying some unflattering things on tape by a tabloid reporter. It wasn't long afterward that Edward and Sophie announced that they were giving up their careers to support the Queen during her Golden Jubilee year. Since then, they've continued to carry out public engagements. I'm sure the fact that the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret were not longer able to carry out engagements also contributed, as it would leave the palace shorthanded.

Chelsy would be marrying someone a lot closer to the throne, and if she continued to work after marrying into the royal family, she could be the target of reporters pretending to be a client in the hopes of getting something embarrassing out of her.

Not necessarily. The Queen pays for most of the Royal Family privately. I think that only she, Prince Philip and the Princess Royal are paid by the Civil List--which is in itself paid from the income from the Crown Lands.

since she would be receiving tax payers money as a salary/allowance.

Not necessarily. The Queen pays for most of the Royal Family privately. I think that only she, Prince Philip and the Princess Royal are paid by the Civil List--which is in itself paid from the income from the Crown Lands.

The Princess Royal - like her brothers, aunt and cousins was sort of removed from the Civil List in the early 1990s. Any money she receives from the government, along with Andrew, Edward etc is repaid by the Queen from her independent income from the Duchy of Lancaster. If Anne is doing an engagement for the government, like Charles, Andrew etc she gets that paid by the government but she is otherwise supported by the Queen or from her own independent means, such as Gatcombe and the Trust Funds she inherited from her grandparents.

Yes, they are being paid by the Queen but don't forget their bodyguards are being paid by the British taxpayer. And they (I feel comfortable to speak on their behalf even though I don't pay British taxes) aren't not going to pay for British bodyguards protecting and British Prince in Africa.

They were upset the other day because they are spending 650K (adjusting for the difference between the English pound and the US dollar) to protect the Blairs. At least according to the DM and honestly, this is one article I think has a little teeth to it.

I thought the Queens income came from the British taxpayers as well...doesn't it?

I thought the Queens income came from the British taxpayers as well...doesn't it?

The vast majority of the Queen's income comes from the Duchy of Lancaster estate. This estate, like the Duchy of Cornwall estate for Charles, provides the independent income for the monarch.

The Civil List is what is needed to cover the official expenses of her position as Head of State e.g. the salaries of her staff and the costs of State Visits etc. It isn't a salary as such.

Hmm...thanks for the info LQ and Bertie.
Seeing all this info there's no way Harry could move to Africa. Unless he lives off the inheritance from Diana. All in all I doubt the British people would like that. Someone mentioned a vacation home...that's probably the smartest route to go.

It's not that new, the story about them breaking up was ridiculous.

Which bit?
We don't know what is true or false, only Harry and Chelsy know that.

A previous poster asked what he (Harry) would do if he lived in Africa other than charity work and parties, well that's not a far cry from the life he lives already. I've never come across two serving military men with as much free time as these two. They have yet to miss any of the summer or winter breaks they took before they joined the services. On top of that, IMO, the BRF will fragment when the Queen dies with each individual family drifting in it's own direction. I don't think her influence in keeping it together will be replicated by her successor/s.

Don't you think that they are so conditioned to rally around the monarch that they will do so as a matter of course?

William and Harry will rally around their father and Charles has also said he would like to see a smaller family so we probably will see less of the minor royals but that is no real issue as the focus should be on the monarch and his direct descendents (as it is now but the Queen has 12 direct descendents whereas Charles has only 2).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just think that the younger ones will more or less please themselves when it comes to the crunch. Prince Charles himself did and he was from an older generation than Harry.

Younger ones?
In 2012, The Queens Jubilee
Prince William turns 30
Prince Henry turns 28
Princess Beatrice turns 24
Princess Eugenie turns 22
Zara Phillips turns 31
Peter Phillips turns 35

I wouldn't call that too young, if Her Majesty passed away, every member of the royal family would rally around to their family and their country. That I am certain.
If Prince Harry, left after this, that's his decision.

I'm not sure what you mean. Prince Charles did what a Prince of Wales does. He spent time in the navy and then developed his own charitable organizations. I think that a point could be made that Prince Charles has done more for the nation than any previous Prince of Wales in terms of hands-on involvement with the nation.

I just think that the younger ones will more or less please themselves when it comes to the crunch. Prince Charles himself did and he was from an older generation than Harry.

I'm not sure what you mean. Prince Charles did what a Prince of Wales does. He spent time in the navy and then developed his own charitable organizations. I think that a point could be made that Prince Charles has done more for the nation than any previous Prince of Wales in terms of hands-on involvement with the nation.

Definitely.

Edward VIII served in the military during WWI and then did some tours of the Commonwealth but on a day to day basis didn't do a lot (he did what was asked of him but didn't have the get up and go to do something on his own).

George V collected stamps and shot things and like his son did what was asked but nothing else.

Edward VII I do think would have liked to do more but simply wasn't allowed to do so so spent most of his life waiting for his mother to die to be of use to his country (and I wonder how different the world might have been if his undoubted talents for dealing with people had been utilised as a younger man).

George IV - didn't do anything much except add to the royal collection until he became Prince Regent.

Actually when you look at it Charles has been the most out there Prince of Wales in history and he deserves a lot of the credit for making a meaningful role for himself and his position. He could have done, as earlier Princes of Wales, nothing more than appear occasionally and represent the Queen somewhere when asked by her but he actually has carved out a role for the Prince of Wales that is unique and sets a different standard for future heirs to the throne to try to emulate.

What a pitty...they was such a nice couple.
But i can understand chelsy. I think that the life in a royal family must be like you must live in the TV-Show Big Brother around the clock...and thats for your whole live. A very worst life, i think.
But for Harry i hope, that chelsy come back to him one day, because i think, that she really loves him. Maybe she only needs a litte bit time out.

They haven't broken up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, thats really good:flowers:
But in Germany TV they say they were broke up. they said, that chelsy planned moving to africa. Good, that its not true.
I am happy for them, and i hope, that they will marry some day.

... if Her Majesty passed away, every member of the royal family would rally around to their family and their country. That I am certain.
If Prince Harry, left after this, that's his decision.
I agree with this. I think Harry is much more dedicated to his role and his country than people give him credit for. He wouldn't be training in the British Armed Services if he was planning on living somewhere else.

I think Charles and Diana and other members of the BRF have ingrained "duty before self" in Harry and Wills that when time comes to rally around family they will do it. I'm confident that Harry will always be there no matter to support William and his Dad. Even if it means letting Chelsy go.

I think Charles and Diana and other members of the BRF have ingrained "duty before self" in Harry and Wills that when time comes to rally around family they will do it. I'm confident that Harry will always be there no matter to support William and his Dad. Even if it means letting Chelsy go.

I think thats probably right.... though I do feel Diana is probably not the best example to use here!

I agree that the Diana duty before self thing is pushing it a bit...but she (and Charles) certainly taught the boys to depend on each other.

I agree that the Diana duty before self thing is pushing it a bit...but she (and Charles) certainly taught the boys to depend on each other.

thats right, credit to Diana and Charles for bringing up two boys who understand their responsibilities well.

I still don't think Harry will move permanently to Africa. He might buy a second home there and live part time or just visit often.

I still don't think Harry will move permanently to Africa. He might buy a second home there and live part time or just visit often.

Shanaz I agree. And the reports on Prince Henry's and Ms Davies' relationship change with each reported article. So who knows.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom