The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
Thank you for dumbing down my words to such a thorough extend.
Totally unjustified since my wording clearly suggested that my opinion was based on more than one factor...
Wow! Amazing post. Moreover I absolutel y agree with all of your points, especially regarding Private Eye and The Independent.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
I'm assuming that because you're fom the US you don't know much about UK universities but Leeds is one of the best Their law department is widely acknowledged as being in the top ten in this country.

I know a lot of people who studied at Leeds and are now working at some of the most high-profile law firms in the country. I would suggest you do some research before belittling an excellent university.
No I am no expert in UK law schools; however, it was reported that it is VERY RARE for a LEEDS student to get an offer from the firm for which she interned -- FOR ALL OF TWO WEEKS. From what I have read about Leeds, it is not considered a top flight law school. Now if you have numbers to back up your claim that it is a top 1% school or whatever it is you allege, then great. But that won't change my opinion of this girl one iota.

Finally, fwiw, Leeds could be the #1 law school in the UK and it won't make a bit of a difference on the firepower she has upstairs to forge a successful stint at whatever firm she ends up working for. Success at TOP firms sadly being defined as making it through the ranks to partnership or billing over 3,000 hrs in a year, which I'm guessing will interfere with the two to three 2-week vacays in South Africa per year. I'm not some kid just figuring it out. Just because this girl goes to law school doesn't impress me at all.

So while I'm researching UK law schools I suggest YOU research what it takes to make it in the the world of large, corp law firms, to which apparently she aspires. For the moment.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Who would have thought that Chelsy Davy would become a polarising figure after the breakup?

Whatever the case, we can do without the personal and pointed posts thanks.

Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 01-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't need to research anything, nor do I appreciate the overly agressive tone. I have my law degree (not from Leeds) and I do know which universities have a good reputation and which don't in this country.

Moreover I suspect I have far more experience of how UK law firms operate than you do having had actual experience of them.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Nobility

Then I'm sure you are quite aware of the value of assumptions, suspicions, and hunches.

Nor did I much appreciate the tone of your unsolicited advice re seeking info on UK law schools. But I handle my business.

Much apologies Warren.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Many apologies Warren (I do like correct grammar) I canīt help but think that someone with a UK law degree would know more about a UK university than someone from another country but now that Chelsy is an ex and possibly she will remain one I am sure that if a law firm had taken her on just because of her friendship to Prince Harry we shall soon learn of it, she will be looking for another job very soon.
However from what we have learned about her she is quite able to stand on her own two feet and get on in the world.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Nobility

I somewhat agree with your assessment of her, Menarue. I'm just not going along with the deification of this girl simply because she's doing like millions of other recent graduates and trying to begin a career, be it as an attorney or learning and working at a parents' successful business.

I have read the remarks that Farrer, the firm at which she interned for two weeks, hires almost exclusively from OXFORD, that it was a bit of a coup for a law student from Leeds to get an internship with this firm, which naturally lead to suspicions that who she was dating and her celebrity may have played a part in securing that internship. Nevertheless, I've also read she's accepted an offer from Allen & Overy, so the rest of it is water under the bridge.

To get in the door at any of these firms means she is no dummy. So the best to her in any event.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

No deification from me Luvn she is just an ordinary girl who by extraordinary circumstances became the focus of journalists and others because she dated Prince Harry. I just find it a wonderful contrast to another royal girlfriend that she should go on to use her degree and work when from what we hear, she has absolutely no obligation to do this, she is from a very wealthy family and could just stay home and mope for the prince if she wanted to.
They are no longer a couple and she has decided to get on with her life. I am not sorry that she will not be "Princess Harry" she didnīt seem suitable but I wouldnīt have minded that much as there was very little probability that she would become Queen of England.
I hope that she is successful in her law career and meets someone of her own kind, rich, independent and able to give her more attention.
I see the Mugabe connexion would have caused problems if they had thought of marrying, in fact it may have already caused problems that we donīt know of.
Good luck to her, she is a smart pretty young woman and has her whole life ahead of her.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I am not sorry that she will not be "Princess Harry" she didnīt seem suitable --- snipped
I am relieved! Leeds University is 11th in the league, so could not IMO, be considered a prestigious University.
University Rankings League Table 2008| Good University Guide - Times Online

I have just found the 2009 Rankings League Table and Leeds is in 30th place for Law!

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...19&y=12&sub=38
Old 01-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

30th???? I had no idea. Reminds me of my cousin, when my aunt asked him his place in his class and he answered "the 20th", "well it could be worse" she said, then the question came. "How many children in the class?"
Old 01-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise View Post
And Chelsy Davy "independent"???? How many law school students are out there who can afford to fly back and forth to South Africa from the UK several times a year and for vacations or own a Mercedes?
South Africa is Chelsy's home, it's where her family lives. You'll find that most student go back home whenever their Uni schedule allows it.
If you are trying to paint Chelsy as some jet-setter that accusation has no credibility whatsoever imo considering she wouldn't have possibly got where she is if her life was one long holiday.
There is nothing particularly extravagant about her lifestyle so far. She's been living in run down student gigs and living a pretty ordinary student life.
Quote:
Her parents are bankrolling her lifestyle. How someone going to law school ... at a less than stellar school ... makes them into this paragon of a struggling working woman is beyond me.
Struggling woman? Where did I say that? Why so melodramatic?
Yes, her parent support her for now because she is a student and most parents who can afford to help their child through Uni do so.
However, she set her sight and might on her own financially rewarding career, meaning that down the line she will have her own source of income.
That is what I meant, in part, by standing on her two feet, and yes, that's called independence. I was also referring to the way she handled her relationship with Harry.
Quote:
I I'm just not going along with the deification of this girl simply because she's doing like millions of other recent graduates and trying to begin a caree
Deification?
My point is precisely the fact that, despite all of her millions, she chose to do like millions of contemporary women: build an education, a career, follow her goals, use her opportunities to make something of herself.
She is thoroughly modern, not an escapee from a Jane Austin novel waiting around for her man to pop the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I am not sorry that she will not be "Princess Harry" she didnīt seem suitable
I didn't think there was anything wrong with her per se but I could not see how she could be content with a position that require you to be little more than a trophy wife.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

A trophy wife? Princesses in the UK either do a lot of public work or else get raked over the coals every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
I didn't think there was anything wrong with her per se but I could not see how she could be content with a position that require you to be little more than a trophy wife.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY AND WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE. But I must hold Harry to the same standard. All I can say is I hope both brothers, especially William, enjoy LONG healthy lives.

And Chelsy Davy "independent"???? How many law school students are out there who can afford to fly back and forth to South Africa from the UK several times a year and for vacations or own a Mercedes? Please. Her parents are bankrolling her lifestyle just like Kate Middleton. How someone going to law school ... at a less than stellar school ... makes them into this paragon of a struggling working woman is beyond me.
I'd still argue that Chelsy is on the road to independence, probably more so than Kate, because Kate is working for her parents whereas Chelsy is on the way to developing an independent career. Also, a school can be good even if it's "less than stellar." There are nearly or over 100 universities in Britain, from what I can find, so being ranked 11th isn't that bad. I saw it got a "total score" of 90.2 out of 100, and the lowest university on the list was 45.7, so Leeds is definitely on the top end of the scale.

I have a cousin getting her law degree (not from England, mind you!) and from what I hear, it's very hard work. And you do have to be quite intelligent to pursue a law career. Also, I agree with Idriel's point that Chelsy didn't have to pursue a career or move to London. She comes from a wealthy family; she could have easily chosen a much less challenging degree, maybe some general courses in the arts or humanities. Chelsy obviously has some personal ambition that goes beyond just settling for what's convenient or what people say she should do, and I appreciate that about her. I don't see her as a "paragon of a struggling working woman," but anyone who knows what they want from life and is willing to work hard and sacrifice to achieve it is admirable to me.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Harry's won her back - but she hates the idea of being a princess. So how long before the royals scare Chelsy off again?

Quote:
Royal relationships are a Catch-22. Given the public scrutiny they will face, anyone prepared to go out with a member of the Royal Family invites suspicions of being insane or a sycophant.

And you’d only know that a girl wasn’t crazy (or a sycophant) when she said she didn’t want to measure out her days in photocalls and uptight functions.

It’s this unfortunate dynamic that drives the endlessly ricocheting, on-off-on relationship between Prince Harry and Chelsy Davy. The current status is that the couple are back together and don’t mind who knows it.
Read the article: Harry's won her back - but she hates the idea of being a princess. So how long before the royals scare Chelsy off again? | Mail Online
Old 12-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Franky, the article (even though its from the Daily Mail) expressed some of my concerns.

If she loves Harry and decides to marry (with the Queen's permission of course) she needs to be afraid of the British press (who will dissect every aspect of her life, her parents and her brothers life..and you can thru in a grandmother, aunt or uncle or two for good measure).

The Royal Family will not scare Chelsy off. I think the title is deceiving. If she marries Harry she will be the wife to the third in line to the throne and will have royal responsibilities. She will not be able to work in her chosen field so let's not kid ourselves. And she will have to life a royal life in England. Frankly, I don't think she loves him enough to do it. Or perhaps she loves herself too much and that is not a bad thing. In my mind, its better to just end it.

Harry can't change who he is (he is a royal serving in the armed forces and will never live in any place but England) and the sooner she realizes that the better off they both will be.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

But if she doesn't love him enough why would she give their relationship another chance? I mean, she's 24, not a Teenager anymore, so she must know what it means and where it could lead to.
I think as a pretty, wealthy girl she has enough options and contacts to meet someone else who's more suitable to her lifestyle. I'm not sure if I trust these articles too much. On the other hand, Chelsy is only 24 and maybe they take it from the easy side now.

However, I can't deny that I love them as a couple, so I wish them all the best and carefully considered decisions for the future.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Who says they are giving the relationship another chance? The Daily Mail?

From what I have seen thru the Daily Mail and other articles is that they care deeply for each other and enjoy each other's company. Nothing to suggest that they are officially a boyfriend and girlfriend.

And yes, she is 24. And I like the fact that Chelsy is intelligent and independent but she is not right for Harry IMO. Because independence does not work in the Royal Family. And my comment to end it now is based on this....if they do love each other and Chelsy can not reconcile her life to be princess, a card carrying member of the BRF with all the negatives and positives, giving up her law career (of which it appears she has worked hard to obtain) and this is NEVER going to change after FIVE years of dating. Why continue?

Old 12-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Who says they are giving the relationship another chance? The Daily Mail?
I know that they're not officially a couple again, but to me it pretty looks like that. Just my opinion. Isn't it hard to stay friends if you have been "happily involved"?

Quote:
And yes, she is 24. And I like the fact that Chelsy is intelligent and independent but she is not right for Harry IMO. Because independence does not work in the Royal Family. And my comment to end it now is based on this....if they do love each other and Chelsy can not reconcile her life to be princess, a card carrying member of the BRF with all the negatives and positives, giving up her law career (of which it appears she has worked hard to obtain) and this is NEVER going to change after FIVE years of dating. Why continue?
Time will tell. I see your points and agree with them. Once she has too decide between her own career and her love to Harry. No doubt. But at the moment it seems - in my humble opinion - as if they can't get away from each other really.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Yes time will tell. Either way, I only wish happiness for all the parties involved.

Honestly I think one of the potential problems with Wiilam and Kate and Harry and Chelsy is the history of Charles and Camilla. Both sons are keenly aware that Charles and Camilla made a connection in their 20's and then lost their way. William and Harry IMO need to realize that just because it happened like that with their father it doesn't necessairly mean that Kate and Chelsy are their soulmates.

But another major problem is that its basically just hard to date when you are Princes of Wales in the millenium, Diana and Charles's sons (with all that baggage) and a rabid press. I mean, look what happened when Harry went out with that Caroline girl. Suddenly she was in the papers, giving the British public a look at her life (warts and all). They already have a small circle and who the heck wants to date with all that press.

It appears to me (cause I don't know) that both boys care for Chelsy and Kate but sometimes I wonder if they just continue to date them (not that they don't care for them) because it easier to do so than find someone new to date.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Courtier

Harry could give up his Royal responsibilities. It would cause an enormous fuss and more, but he could do it.

When in a situation of loving each other dearly, why should it be the women that always have to give up everything?
It's not as if it would be the end of the Monarchy. The English Royal House has William, as well as Beatrice and Eugenie, and the PoW is still very fit too.

In the Dutch Royal Family, several members have actively removed themselves from the direct line of descent (Johan-Friso, and two of princess Margriet's sons). They married without permission from the Government. In the former case, they were forced to do so (because of Princess Mabel's past). In the latter case, they did it purposely and nobody made a fuss.

Now, Harry is third in line, so it would create havoc, but if he and Chelsy really love each other and it is obvious that she would be really unhappy living in England, I would applaud him for doing it.

*let the tomatoes come, I've got a shield*

Tags
chelsy davy, engagement, prince harry, security, zimbabwe