General News for Prince Harry, Part 1: December 2016 - November 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That last statement isn't right. What Harry has said recently is that they were offered help but he refused to talk. And you cannot make someone talk.

That's why the Head Together Campaign is about "talking", and that its ok to talk.

Right, but I think someone should've worked with him and William privately and over time they would've talked. There was a lot stiff upper lips and simply moving on around them and that obviously wasn't much help. Sometimes it takes awhile for kids to talk about their heavy grief and they very often need years of counseling to help them out along the way.

The Heads Together Campaign is a great way of getting rid of the stiff upper lips around grief and get people to talking now and not later.

You are giving his comment the spin that exonerates the fannish-passion that made his walking behind his mother's coffin (at his tender age), with thousands of eyes upon him, 'necessary'. :sad:

Now, rather than see that the hysteria did damage to a child, it becomes that the boys weren't given 'the proper grief counseling that they needed', and whose fault would that be (by inference)? :sad: The BRF, of course; Charles, of course. So the rationale for hating Charles and blaming the BRF continues. When will it end? Why not accept that everyone at the time did the best they could (and made some mistakes). With the 20/20 vision of our 'enlightened' present it's easy to ascribe blame but it was a shocking moment and everyone did what they could. We know The Queen and Philip and Charles did not want to parade the boys in front of the public, but the public were angrily calling to see 'the boys', and even spoke to the boys once they did show up inlays that were just not okay imo. Very puzzling phenomenon.

If you're thinking I hate Charles or rest of the family...you got me totally wrong and you're talking to the wrong one.

Last edited:
Yeah.

I think everyone were in a state of shock. The BRF, the court, the public and the press. So no really knew how to deal with it.
I think those who reacted the most healthy was in fact the public, who expressed their shock, horror, grief and anger openly.
The press got a hard time as well, with lots of verbal abuse (which they have since conveniently put out of their minds).
The public needed to show their sympathy to someone and that someone were William and Harry, something they probably couldn't understand at the time. To them their mother was dead and that's pretty devastating for any child, and they couldn't be allowed to mourn in peace.
For the rest of the BRF, they IMO had to walk that walk, all they lacked was each carrying a cross to make the symbolism complete. A walk of penance.

It sure was weird to watch!

I stayed up to watch it...and it was very surreal.

I'm sure in hindsight his family realize this was not the right decision to have been made regarding the role of the boys.

I'm sure in hindsight his family realize this was not the right decision to have been made regarding the role of the boys.

I think they knew it at the time. :sad: Watch the video: how Harry clings to his father. There is nothing healthy about any of it. They should never have walked and I think the BRF knew that, but were responding to the hysteria a-abroad. There was real hate being directed at the BRF, people are forgetting that.

I can see that too...them giving in to pressure and I do remember the anger towards the media and the family. I've always been a bit mystified that the BRF was so caught off guard by it all, the reaction to her death and how they handled things afterward.

If you're thinking I hate Charles or rest of the family...you got me totally wrong and you're talking to the wrong one.

Understood. :ermm: I was just following a line of (potential) logic, not necessarily ascribing it to you personally, though that is the way it may have seemed because of a juxtaposition of ideas.

Last edited:
It wasn't a mistake for the boys to walk behind their mother's coffin. Obviously, it was a painful time for the boys though.

I disagree--it was horrible for a not quite 13 year old and a 15 year old have to make that walk behind the coffin with all the eyes and cameras on them. I was very uncomfortable watching them the day of the funeral. Thank God the cameras stayed off them during the funeral itself. I felt such compassion for William and Harry--I knew what it was like to suddenly lose a parent as a young person.

There are a couple of documentaries coming up to mark the twentieth anniversary of Diana's death in August and it's said that the brothers are going to speak then about their feelings regarding the aftermath of their mother's death, the atmosphere at the funeral, etc.

They therefore will expand on the things Harry has been quoted on in this interview. We are likely to get a clearer picture, IMO, of who they 'blame' (if anyone) for them doing that walk, as well as their coming down to London from Balmoral, seeing the public mourning, whether they were encouraged to talk about their mother in the days before the funeral, etc.

I think I'd rather wait for the docos and hear it all directly from the horses' mouth(s) so to speak, than from a printed interview, interesting though these often are. I realise that they will both be discreet but you can gather more from a TV interview in the way of physical expressions and demeanour than you can from the printed page, IMO. That's why I'm looking forward to these.

Harry certainly thinks it was.

LaRae

I recently watched the documentary "7 Days That Shook The Windsors" and at that time it was an old-fashioned conference call with the BRF at Balmoral and on the other end, at BP were the Spencers and the Politicians. Guess whose idea it was for the boys to walk behind the gun carriage. Harry was in every way still a child and wanted to go to France with 'Papa' to bring Diana home. He also wanted to behind the gun carriage. William absolutely did not and it was a surprise to many "in the know" when he stepped out with Prince Philip.

I think that is what Harry is talking about. No child should be asked to do that because he was too young to know what he was saying yes to.

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&r...eMw7z8&usg=AFQjCNG_Ws0QT92p9Skw5jiQjPJuKIK1OA

I recently watched the documentary "7 Days That Shook The Windsors" and at that time it was an old-fashioned conference call with the BRF at Balmoral and on the other end, at BP were the Spencers and the Politicians. Guess whose idea it was for the boys to walk behind the gun carriage. Harry was in every way still a child and wanted to go to France with 'Papa' to bring Diana home. He also wanted to behind the gun carriage. William absolutely did not and it was a surprise to many "in the know" when he stepped out with Prince Philip.

I think that is what Harry is talking about. No child should be asked to do that because he was too young to know what he was saying yes to.

Good point. :flowers: But I wonder if Harry is indeed making that subtle point.

It's being noted here in the British press that Harry didn't mention his father once in this long and broad ranging Newsweek interview. Take from that as much or as little as you want to.

I'm more concerned by Harry's comments that none of them really want to do what they have to, no one wants to succeed the Queen and they more or less do it 'for the good of the little people'. This is a very dangerous avenue to go down by Harry and he should realise that. I'm all for royals being reasonably frank in interviews, but this borders on whining IMO.

It's being noted here in the British press that Harry didn't mention his father once in this long and broad ranging Newsweek interview. Take from that as much or as little as you want to.

I'm more concerned by Harry's comments that none of them really want to do what they have to, no one wants to succeed the Queen and they more or less do it 'for the good of the little people'. This is a very dangerous avenue to go down by Harry and he should realise that. I'm all for royals being reasonably frank in interviews, but this borders on whining IMO.

I think that this was just sort of.."windsor-speak" from Harry, implying that no one would ever talk of wanting to succeed because it means the death of a beloved family member and monarch.

This is in the same vein as HM downplaying her long reign, as it is a result of her father dying so young.

No royal wants the throne, says Harry: Prince's astonishing claim about the future of the monarchy is revealed in extraordinary interview

No Royal Family member wants the throne, says Prince Harry | Daily Mail Online

not sure it is wise to say something like this at all, but if he does, Harry should only speak for himself, not for other people.

I agree. Harry sounds spoiled and peevish, and in any event, should only be speaking for himself.
Someone should venture to give him a hint that all this soul baring is not helping the RF.

In the long run, when a death happens to a very beloved family member, all of us have had moments where we just couldn't face up to it. For me, it was being by my dad's bedside while he was dying. A close family friend said to me almost the same thing as Philip said to William in the sense that if he didn't do it now (walk behind the coffin), it would be something he may regret in the future. It made sense to me and most likely to William too. Of course, our losses weren't so blatantly public with gawking masses and cameras focused on our every move and reaction. We were able to process death in private. William and Harry weren't allowed that.

Those two boys woke up to a morning where their young world had changed overnight and everything in the following days have had to have a feeling of unreality to them. Not only coming to grips with the death of their mother but realizing that the process of going through the stages of grief would be a very public thing.

To not want to be the monarch is not something new. Its a formidable destiny that hangs over one's head. It was expressed when our present Queen and her sister realized that their father had become King. Margaret said something along the lines to Elizabeth that "this means that someday you'll be Queen right?" When Elizabeth confirmed that, Margaret just stated "poor you".

The masses of the public may see being a King or Queen as a life of luxury and perks and privileges but those are that are raised close to the throne also realize the downsides to the role so much more. The loss of freedoms, the constant being in the public eye. The realizations of what the expectations of their roles entail and that its a duty that doesn't have an escape clause and is for life with no retirement into their golden years ahead. Its daunting to say the least.

History is filled with people that didn't want thrones. Harry isn't stating anything new here. Just because they'd rather not take on the role doesn't mean that that they wouldn't. The throne doesn't come to those because of a choice. It comes as a destiny and a duty.

Last edited:
To not want to be the monarch is not something new. Its a formidable destiny that hangs over one's head. It was expressed when our present Queen and her sister realized that their father had become King. Margaret said something along the lines to Elizabeth that "this means that someday you'll be Queen right?" When Elizabeth confirmed that, Margaret just stated "poor you".

The masses of the public may see being a King or Queen as a life of luxury and perks and privileges but those are that are raised close to the throne also realize the downsides to the role so much more. The loss of freedoms, the constant being in the public eye. The realizations of what the expectations of their roles entail and that its a duty that doesn't have an escape clause and is for life with no retirement into their golden years ahead. Its daunting to say the least.

History is filled with people that didn't want thrones. Harry isn't stating anything new here. Just because they'd rather not take on the role doesn't mean that that they wouldn't. The throne doesn't come to those because of a choice. It comes as a destiny and a duty.

But why speak for other people? Harry is so far down the line now that it is very unlikely he'll become King.

And it's not that the siblings without a proper royal job have lead the most joyful lives. The King/Queen has at least a job and knows what to do.
Margaret ended up very unhappy and Harry should be careful that the same fate will come to him, especially when looking to some of his uncles who feel so important when in reality they aren't.
Spares like Harry usually tend to take all the perks of royalty but don't really know what to do with themselves and whine about the downsides.

Spares like Harry usually tend to take all the perks of royalty but don't really know what to do with themselves and whine about the downsides.

I think, like all those with royal roles before him, Harry had to come to grips with who he was, what was expected of him and as there are no playbooks that expressly outline a job description, its was a search Harry had to make to find not only himself, but a meaningful way to make his royal role into something that not only he could be successful at but also give him a personal sense of purpose. It was a challenge for him and a challenge that is still ongoing to this day. His passions are starting to manifest in the work he does. His search for personal happiness and family is ongoing. He is slowly but surely getting his feet securely on the ground determining which way his future is going to go and mesh a royal role that destiny placed on him with his own personal sense of how he wants his life to be. Its called growth.

All humanity enjoys the perks they may have whether it be environment, financial or any external condition. None of us grow into adulthood and the roles of our lives without seeing the downsides of it. We all bemoan something or the other that "could have been".

Seems to me the Prince is as congentially unable to 'keep his trap shut' as his Mother was, and as it did with her, this will bring a good deal of trouble, both to himself and to 'the firm'..
In many ways I admire him greatly, but in this I do NOT..

I think this should more be interpreted as no one "desires" the throne. It's a duty to take on, not reluctantly but with considerable trepidation.
Which IMO is a healthy and sound approach.

I would perhaps be a little more worried if Harry had said the heirs can't/couldn't wait to be the monarch.
Harry not wishing to be king himself is in my eyes a humble and respectful view on the role as monarch.
I also think it's an indication that Harry will be there to support his brother, because he know what a daunting task William is facing.

I don't look at this as whining, more as an honest account of how he feels. - And keep in mind that other heirs in other royal families have spoken about similar reservations, yet, as they grew older and in some cases took over, they have tried to do their very best.

I think Harry is in the position that he is able to say out aloud what his brother cannot say.

Last edited:

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&r...eMw7z8&usg=AFQjCNG_Ws0QT92p9Skw5jiQjPJuKIK1OA

Harry was a couple of weeks from turning 13. He wasn't a little boy.

Harry needs to stick to talking about Invictus instead of speaking for his entire family. He is undermining his father and brother who unlike Harry will be King.

With being honest and upfront and open about who he is and his feelings about things that affect his life, Harry becomes more of a person in the eyes of the people the get to "know" him better. Its bridging a gap between how Harry is perceived as being Prince Henry of Wales, the second son of the Prince of Wales, heir apparent to Her Majesty, The Queen and Harry, the man, the human being who puts on one shoe at a time like we do.

Becoming more open and honest about who he is, his thoughts, his challenges and his doubts even is something that would serve us all well to emulate. Too often people only present a "facade" of who they are. Part of dropping that facade and actually being at one with oneself is letting what is inside of a person's makeup reflect in their exterior every day lives.

Isn't this the goal of good mental health? Its been stated that what Harry is doing is reflective of Diana's "opening her big trap". To me, its different. Diana's diatribes in public were to serve to build herself up by denigrating and bringing down something or someone else to do it. Harry is not doing that. He's talking about how things affected him personally, what he's found to have affected him personally and just why it affected him personally. His goal isn't to cast negativity on anyone one or the monarchy or his family or the fact that the rabbits got into his plants again and he aches to go "wabbit hunting" but in his own way, he's becoming a man comfortable enough in his own skin to be able to be that man openly and publicly. Warts and all.

I admire that.

I think this should more be interpreted as no one "desires" the throne. It's a duty to take on, not reluctantly but with considerable trepidation.

I would perhaps be a little more worried if Harry had said the heirs can't/couldn't wait to be the monarch.
Harry not wishing to be king himself is in my eyes a humble and respectful view on the role as monarch.
I also think it's an indication that Harry will be there to support his brother, because he know what a daunting task William is facing.

I don't look at this as whining, more as an honest account of how he feels. - And keep in mind that other heirs in other royal families have spoken about similar reservation, yet, as they grew older and in some cases took over, they have tried to do their very best.

I think Harry is in the position that he is able to say out aloud what his brother cannot say.

I agree with you Muhler, and as on so many other occasions, couldn't have said it better myself!
I will just add though, that the DM has a way of cherrypicking when it reprints interviews from other sources, so that an interview comes out skewed in many ways.
Also, words on a printed page are far more stark than in a televised or recorded interview. You often don't get nuances, a cheeky grin, twinkle in the eye, an emphasis on certain words in a sentence, Nor is it clear sometimes which part of the interview is in answer to a question being asked rather than a spontaneous statement coming out unbidden.

He was a child, a minor when his mother died. Harry has a right to speak about his feelings if he wants to, every human being deserves that right. Harry has always and continues to give support to his family and IMO, after reading the entire Newsweek interview, is what he did. He described his and his family's sense of duty for a position that is not chosen but one is born to do.

Muhler and Curryong absolutely right both of you. That some some posters totally see the opposite just blows my mind. Makes me think I don't belong here were people twist words and see only the worst. Goodness we have a long way to go to understand mental health.

Harry has a right to speak about his feelings if he wants to

Of COURSE he has that right.. I just question the wisdom of exercising that right in 'in the Press', who will use his words [as they used his Mothers] for their own ends, without regard to him or anyone else.

I don't look at this as whining, more as an honest account of how he feels. - And keep in mind that other heirs in other royal families have spoken about similar reservations, yet, as they grew older and in some cases took over, they have tried to do their very best.

he isnt helping anyone out by saying this...he needs to either just speak for himself or be careful...bc ur (harrys) country has been going through alot of trauma and you go and say that...thats just very stupid..i imagine with all his interviews now...that his grandma will give him a slight elbow bump and say your talking too much now...

saying what he said makes the whole family look bad...he forgets tabloid journalists are vultures and will wait to twist his soul baring words all the time...and yes being too revealing with the media never served her(diana) well...it actually led to her downfall, unfortunately...i still dont know why this interview needed to be done...its not august or sept...the timing is very odd.

Perhaps on Harry's part its all part of the process coming to emotional maturity. The dam has busted wide open and he's not learned to fully control it yet and put it into perspective maybe? I don't know.

I could kind of equate it with the newfound emotions that an alcoholic finds going into recovery at first. He's finding a freedom from the onus of the bottle and it will engulf him to the point he may even want to walk into bars and "convert" the drinking public on the woes of alcohol or even to just prove to himself that he could even be there without being "tempted". Its part of coming to the point of acceptance of the changes in one's emotional life and ways of thinking. We've seen prime examples here in these forums of how what Harry says can be interpreted by how we process them differently ourselves.

Emotional maturity has its bumps and bruises along the road much like riding a bicycle. You fall off a lot at first but learn to adapt to recognizing the pot holes and wear protective gear to prevents the hurts.

I much admire Harry for the process he's going through and being so open publicly about it but from reading other's perspectives, I can also see the dangers of where being so open and honest are the "pot holes" in the road that need to be considered also.

Folks, all Harry is saying is that the family don't treat the monarchy as some Game Of Thrones. No one in the family is trying to kill each other for the throne. They will always do the job as royals. Everyone knows The Queen never really wanted to be Queen, but she stepped up to the job on her fathers death and served honorably.

People are taking Harry's words the wrong way.

Harry's words are as much needed these days as a hole in the head. Diana is dead for 20 years, why not complain in private and confront those who are responsible for making him walk behind the coffin. We don't know what went on behind the scenes back then, it is only making the adult members of the family look bad.

Same goes for the 'nobody wants to be king or queen in the family', especially from somebody who won't be king anyway.

I intend to go and buy Newsweek and read the entire interview, (given last October, I believe but not published till now) not just interpret, perhaps wrongly, what was said by Harry after reading what a newspaper stated was said after they cherrypick. Then I'll come back and post what I think about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom