The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2017, 07:11 AM
Aristocracy

He was a child, a minor when his mother died. Harry has a right to speak about his feelings if he wants to, every human being deserves that right. Harry has always and continues to give support to his family and IMO, after reading the entire Newsweek interview, is what he did. He described his and his family's sense of duty for a position that is not chosen but one is born to do.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Muhler and Curryong absolutely right both of you. That some some posters totally see the opposite just blows my mind. Makes me think I don't belong here were people twist words and see only the worst. Goodness we have a long way to go to understand mental health.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Harry has a right to speak about his feelings if he wants to
Of COURSE he has that right.. I just question the wisdom of exercising that right in 'in the Press', who will use his words [as they used his Mothers] for their own ends, without regard to him or anyone else.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I think this should more be interpreted as no one "desires" the throne. It's a duty to take on, not reluctantly but with considerable trepidation.
Which IMO is a healthy and sound approach.

I would perhaps be a little more worried if Harry had said the heirs can't/couldn't wait to be the monarch.
Harry not wishing to be king himself is in my eyes a humble and respectful view on the role as monarch.
I also think it's an indication that Harry will be there to support his brother, because he know what a daunting task William is facing.

I don't look at this as whining, more as an honest account of how he feels. - And keep in mind that other heirs in other royal families have spoken about similar reservations, yet, as they grew older and in some cases took over, they have tried to do their very best.

I think Harry is in the position that he is able to say out aloud what his brother cannot say.

he isnt helping anyone out by saying this...he needs to either just speak for himself or be careful...bc ur (harrys) country has been going through alot of trauma and you go and say that...thats just very stupid..i imagine with all his interviews now...that his grandma will give him a slight elbow bump and say your talking too much now...

saying what he said makes the whole family look bad...he forgets tabloid journalists are vultures and will wait to twist his soul baring words all the time...and yes being too revealing with the media never served her(diana) well...it actually led to her downfall, unfortunately...i still dont know why this interview needed to be done...its not august or sept...the timing is very odd.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps on Harry's part its all part of the process coming to emotional maturity. The dam has busted wide open and he's not learned to fully control it yet and put it into perspective maybe? I don't know.

I could kind of equate it with the newfound emotions that an alcoholic finds going into recovery at first. He's finding a freedom from the onus of the bottle and it will engulf him to the point he may even want to walk into bars and "convert" the drinking public on the woes of alcohol or even to just prove to himself that he could even be there without being "tempted". Its part of coming to the point of acceptance of the changes in one's emotional life and ways of thinking. We've seen prime examples here in these forums of how what Harry says can be interpreted by how we process them differently ourselves.

Emotional maturity has its bumps and bruises along the road much like riding a bicycle. You fall off a lot at first but learn to adapt to recognizing the pot holes and wear protective gear to prevents the hurts.

I much admire Harry for the process he's going through and being so open publicly about it but from reading other's perspectives, I can also see the dangers of where being so open and honest are the "pot holes" in the road that need to be considered also.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Folks, all Harry is saying is that the family don't treat the monarchy as some Game Of Thrones. No one in the family is trying to kill each other for the throne. They will always do the job as royals. Everyone knows The Queen never really wanted to be Queen, but she stepped up to the job on her fathers death and served honorably.

People are taking Harry's words the wrong way.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-22-2017, 08:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Harry's words are as much needed these days as a hole in the head. Diana is dead for 20 years, why not complain in private and confront those who are responsible for making him walk behind the coffin. We don't know what went on behind the scenes back then, it is only making the adult members of the family look bad.

Same goes for the 'nobody wants to be king or queen in the family', especially from somebody who won't be king anyway.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I intend to go and buy Newsweek and read the entire interview, (given last October, I believe but not published till now) not just interpret, perhaps wrongly, what was said by Harry after reading what a newspaper stated was said after they cherrypick. Then I'll come back and post what I think about it.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Majesty

I'll look forward to that post. Immensely.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisuzieii View Post
[/B]
...........its not august or sept...the timing is very odd.
The timing might be related to Diana's birthday in July. It maybe the 20th anniversary of her death in August and her funeral in September. But her life began in July.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:58 AM
Majesty

Its been stated that the Newsweek article stemmed from Newsweek following Harry around for year and the interview was a part of that which was done last October.

The release date therefore, really doesn't reflect on Harry, the royal family or anyone besides the editors and publishers that put the whole thing together.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

The media is pretty busy spinning Harry's words and people online are helping them. Harry said nothing controversial nor wrong. That's not how the media will tell it though.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-22-2017, 10:34 AM
Majesty

That is why, after much thought and listening to what other posters were saying, I can see the dangers in Harry being too open and honest about things. Just the fact that excerpts of quotes from the actual interview were "cherry picked" is also a factor.

I do admire the fact though that he's able to be that way though. It shows a man comfortable in his own skin.

Now after all this talk about cherry picking, I want a huge slice of cherry pie. Sadly, all I have is black cherry yogurt so that'll have to do.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:44 AM
Courtier

Here's a link to the actual article:
Exclusive: Prince Harry on Chaos After Diana's Death and Why the World Needs 'the Magic' of the Royal Family

ETA:

Excerpts (less than 20% of the full article):

Exclusive: Prince Harry on Chaos After Diana's Death and Why the World Needs 'the Magic' of the Royal Family

It is one of the most poignant images of mourning in modern times, and perhaps one of the cruelest: a 12-year-old Prince Harry, head bowed and fists clenched, marching in the funeral procession behind his mother’s coffin. He, along with his older brother, Prince William; his father, Prince Charles; his grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh; and his maternal uncle, Charles Spencer, walked slowly through the heart of London on September 6, 1997. Seven days earlier, the beautiful, charismatic and unpredictable Princess Diana had died in a car crash in Paris. She was 36.
Her funeral was nearly 20 years ago, but Harry’s recollection of that tragic day can still overwhelm him. “My mother had just died, and I had to walk a long way behind her coffin, surrounded by thousands of people watching me while millions more did on television,” he tells Newsweek . His face hardens. “I don’t think any child should be asked to do that, under any circumstances. I don’t think it would happen today.”

[snip]

but he is proud of what he has accomplished and restless to do much more. He tells me several times that he aches to be “something other than Prince Harry.”

The Extraordinary Ordinary

For the best part of the past year, Newsweek was given generous access to follow Prince Harry, now 32, as he went about his royal duties.

[snip]

“My mother died when I was very young. I didn't want to be in the position I was in, but I eventually pulled my head out of the sand, started listening to people and decided to use my role for good. I am now fired up and energized and love charity stuff, meeting people and making them laugh,” he says. “I sometimes still feel I am living in a goldfish bowl, but I now manage it better. I still have a naughty streak too, which I enjoy and is how I relate to those individuals who have got themselves into trouble.”

[snip]

Does the prince ever worry that too much “ordinary” might make the royal family too accessible and take away its mystery? “It’s a tricky balancing act,” he says. “We don’t want to dilute the magic….The British public and the whole world need institutions like it.”

[snip]

(Royal officials prefer to remain anonymous in order to speak more freely about the family.)

[snip]

One of the many things Harry is eager to “get on with” is an overhaul of the British monarchy—he, William and Kate appear determined to drag it into the 21st century. “The monarchy is a force for good,” he says, “and we want to carry on the positive atmosphere that the queen has achieved for over 60 years, but we won’t be trying to fill her boots.”

[snip]

“We are involved in modernizing the British monarchy. We are not doing this for ourselves but for the greater good of the people…. Is there any one of the royal family who wants to be king or queen? I don’t think so, but we will carry out our duties at the right time.”

[snip]

Harry sees himself as having three core roles in a working life that isn’t exactly a career but is as close to one as he’s ever likely to have. The first is to honor and extend his mother’s legacy.
[snip]

His second role is to support the queen, now 91, who is steadily passing on some of her duties to her grandchildren. “The queen has been fantastic in letting us choose,” he says. “She tells us to take our time and really think things through.”

The third strand of his working life is something previous generations of stiff-upper-lip royals would never have countenanced for a moment: Harry is determined to break the stigma surrounding mental health issues.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

So I haven't read the article, but can someone tell me when it was done and what for? Therefore I can have a clearer picture before I comment.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think this should more be interpreted as no one "desires" the throne. It's a duty to take on, not reluctantly but with considerable trepidation.
Which IMO is a healthy and sound approach.
IMO this is sums up how most of our current hereditary monarchs have approached their role when they were the heirs.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

The fact that the interview was given last October/November and yet not published until now makes me think that it may have something to do with the two forthcoming documentaries to mark the twentieth anniversary of Diana's death. The brothers are going to speak about their reactions to her death and funeral on those. However, it could have been just a general piece on how a younger single Royal approaches his charity work, organises his life, etc.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:44 AM
Majesty

I think the time has come for Harry to stop talking and get on with some regular work.

At best this is naive but for someone who has spent most of his adult life complaining about how the media 'twist' his words this could be considered stupid.

He seems to have forgotten his responsibility to the monarchy.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Aristocracy

I've long felt that the Windsors err on the side of downplaying the advantages of their position. They never really talk about royal life as being enjoyable, it's always hard work, duty, toil...I think they fear seeming too glamorous or coddled. If they don't strike the right balance in their wording it comes off as either cold or whiny. But I honestly don't think there's anything different in the substance of what Harry said in this interview from what his father, aunts and uncles and grandparents have long made the family's "party line."
Old 06-22-2017, 12:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
So I haven't read the article, but can someone tell me when it was done and what for? Therefore I can have a clearer picture before I comment.
With an american outlet, I am pretty sure that it has to do with Diana's death anniversary, and especially in America there is a lot of unreflected glorification going on so I don't think it was wise to indicate some unflattering family issues (being forced to walk behind the coffin, nobody wants to be King etc).

This must be upsetting since especially Charles has been a very hard worker for the causes he supports for decades, to indicate now that he doesnt really want the job will only fuel the idea that William should overstep him, what is a popular idea especially in America where 99,9% of the people have no clue about the way those things work in a monarchy.

Furthermore, most of the time I have not seen Harry live a life of misery.
Obviously more could have been done to help both William and Harry but why complain about it now and in public? I am sure they will have confronted their father in private and there is always the choice to bow out, especially for Harry. No need to throw anybody under the bus now, especially not whilst living a super luxury life and posing as happy family at events for THE FIRM.

Comes across for me as ungrateful or spoilt.