The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Majesty

Come on, most senior BRF-males have served in several units, even several branches, and hold a position of some sort in up to several regiments.

If they were to conform to the various rules and traditions they would have to be clean-shaven and wear false beards.

In contrast most servicemen (I think we can safely omit most women from this discussion...) belong to one unit at a time.

It's typical of Daily Mail to make a song and dance act out of such a trivial matter.
Has Harry earned the right to wear the uniform? - Yes.
Is he a disgrace to the uniform/military? - No.
Did he wear sandals with the uniform or the cap turned the other way around? - No.
Did he behave in an undignified manner? - No.
So, is there a problem? - Nope.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Come on, most senior BRF-males have served in several units, even several branches, and hold a position of some sort in up to several regiments.

If they were to conform to the various rules and traditions they would have to be clean-shaven and wear false beards.

In contrast most servicemen (I think we can safely omit most women from this discussion...) belong to one unit at a time.

It's typical of Daily Mail to make a song and dance act out of such a trivial matter.
Has Harry earned the right to wear the uniform? - Yes.
Is he a disgrace to the uniform/military? - No.
Did he wear sandals with the uniform or the cap turned the other way around? - No.
Did he behave in an undignified manner? - No.
So, is there a problem? - Nope.
If this is directed at me let me reiterate - he can wear a beard, and its the DM making news rather than reporting it.

I queried that he is wearing an army uniform because he doesnt hold an honorary position in an army regiment.

How I understand because someone actually thought it was a reasonable question which I am entitled to ask.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
If this is directed at me let me reiterate - he can wear a beard, and its the DM making news rather than reporting it.

I queried that he is wearing an army uniform because he doesnt hold an honorary position in an army regiment.

How I understand because someone actually thought it was a reasonable question which I am entitled to ask.
It wasn't actually.
If anything it was directed at Daily Mail's silly article.

I just believe it is a question of being practical, since royals by their very nature are in a special situation.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Full Uniform (which includes headdress and cap badges), may be worn on specified official occasions by ex-servicemen, providing the letter 'R' depicting 'Retired' is worn, is provided at individual expense, and agreed in advance,on request, by the relevant MOD department. It is not however a practice which is encouraged; eg. it is not normal for retired officers to wear their old uniform on Remembrance Sunday, or any other occasion, unless the officer was acting in an official or representative capacity.
Thank you. It's really interesting bit of information.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I don’t know if Harry is in the same scenario with his Army commission, but William still holds his three commissions in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF. He even got promoted to Major, Lt Commander and Squadron Leader last January. He just is not on active service.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/235...-s-Iraq-heroes

When Harry gave out medals to the Royal Navy. He wore his Army uniform. So I don’t think he can wear a Navy or RAF uniform. Palmer in the article says he can’t.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Majesty

The idiocy is strong tonight!

The Harry-beard has also made it to the news here in DK. (Mainly because the reporters here tend to copy paste from Daily Mail, In this case it's actually the Mirror though).
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-harry...kuffer-os-alle

Alas, the DK reporter hasn't got the foggiest idea about the military.
Somehow the article reach the conclusion that Harry's rank of cornet is equivalent to a Danish second-lieutenant, which is fairly accurate. But then the bomb falls: A cornet is the second highest rank in a regiment(!)

Fortunately there is no rope at hand or there would be a good chance I'd be dangling from a tree right now.

So to you Brits: Our reporters are way more stupid than yours. (We seriously need a thumb-your-nose-smiley)
Old 11-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Our reporters are way more stupid than yours.
That REALLY 'beggars belief' !
Old 11-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry hasn’t be a Cornet for a long time. That was his rank out of Sandhurst. He left the military as a Captain.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
The rule does exist, with the exception of the Pioneer Corp. but he is no longer in the Military so I dont think the rule applies.

Beard ok for the navy; moustaches ok for army and RAF

What I dont understand is why he is wearing that uniform. He does not hold any army post. He does have honourary navy and airforce positions so it would make sense to wear one of those.

When someone leaves the services, they dont carry on wearing their uniform.

There is probably a reason but I have no idea what it is.

EDIT. Have been sent the following by ex army

Full Uniform (which includes headdress and cap badges), may be worn on specified official occasions by ex-servicemen, providing the letter 'R' depicting 'Retired' is worn, is provided at individual expense, and agreed in advance,on request, by the relevant MOD department. It is not however a practice which is encouraged; eg. it is not normal for retired officers to wear their old uniform on Remembrance Sunday, or any other occasion, unless the officer was acting in an official or representative capacity.
Why are any of the veterans wearing military uniform? The royals are certainly not the only ones in atteandance in uniform. And most of those would be retired veterans.

The royals hold honorary positions in the military, even those who never served in the first place (Anne, Edward). They are all considered to hold certain ranks, and wear the uniforms usually of their most senior rank. That is why Harry continues to wear an uniform.

See the same in Canada yesterday. Veterans who haven't served since WWII will still wear their uniform to events. Does anyone question them? Or is it simply royals it seems odd?

Harry retired as a captain. He continues to wear the uniform in official events.

Perhaps having Actually served active duty in the army, he thinks it proper to wear the uniform. Instead of an honorary uniform in a branch he never actually served.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Not sure about the U.K. (or other European service members) but here in the U.S. it is not at all uncommon for retired military personnel to wear their dress uniforms at various events. Weddings, funerals, parades, formal settings and of course anything connected to the military.

LaRae
Old 11-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Not sure about the U.K. (or other European service members) but here in the U.S. it is not at all uncommon for retired military personnel to wear their dress uniforms at various events. Weddings, funerals, parades, formal settings and of course anything connected to the military.

LaRae
Yes. Being American, I didn't even bat an eye seeing Harry in his uniform, because it's a common occurrence here in the US. But perhaps there are different rules in the UK.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:57 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Just an opinion of mine but I believe that *anyone* who has ever served their country in the military should proudly wear their uniform whenever they wish to. They gave of their time and their utmost abilities and even sometimes their lives and limbs to protect those of us that remained back home. We owe each and every one of them a debt of lifelong thanks and should veterans continue to wear their uniforms with pride, we are reminded when we see them of their service.

As Leroy Jethro Gibbs says in NCIS, "Once a Marine, always a Marine".
Old Today, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

https://royalcrown.info/prince-harry...prince-philip/

Look at this pic of the DoE at the age of 36...my goodness they resemble one another!

LaRae
Old Today, 07:59 PM
Aristocracy

That’s absolutely incredible Pranter. And with all the Harry beard business well, George V had a beard placing wreath at remembrance 1919. Also, this past Veterans Day my son put on his uniform and went out with his brothers, as he says, from the sandbox (Iraq). They meet every year
Old Today, 08:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I still don't know what the big fuss was/is about Harry's beard! He keeps is very well groomed. I think it's quite attractive with it.

LaRae
Old Today, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I just think it was all a storm in a teacup stirred up by very silly and bored tabloid journalists, who were soon put back in their box by a Ministry of Defence spokesman anyway.

Btw, George V was an ex naval man so he was allowed a beard, though there is the point that he wore lots of army uniforms as King, as did his father, while wearing a beard. In more modern times Prince Michael of Kent was a serving military officer, and he's appeared bearded and in uniform.

I agree Prince Philip and Harry do resemble each other, and I like Harry's facial hair, though I think it makes him look older.