The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeT View Post
CBC News article with another perspective on Harry's comments.

""...."I think there are very striking similarities to Prince Philip's comments in Canada in the 1960s about how monarchy exists for the people rather than for the monarch," says Carolyn Harris..."

'Bit of a loose cannon': Why Prince Harry's musings on the monarchy may not be so surprising after all - World - CBC News
There's a name I haven't seen in a long time. Carolyn Harris. I wonder if she's still around TRF at all. She had some wonderful posts to her credit.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Basically, I found Harry's statement about "modernizing the monarchy" as something that has been ongoing already for a while. The BRF does plan things well in advance on how the "Firm" is going to go into the future and I think Harry was reflecting on that.

Just in the time I've been here on TRF, I've noticed the changes. The foundation is one where a lot of Will, Kate and Harry's charity work is done under an umbrella and even with global support. We've seen the monarchy itself jump into social media with Facebook pages, Twitter accounts and the elimination, at times, of the mainstream media to get information out.

These things add to the statement that Harry said (words from Royal Norway's quote) ‘We want to make sure the Monarchy lasts and are passionate about what it stands for,’ he explains. ‘We feel that the British public and the whole world needs institutions like this – but it can’t go on as it has done under the Queen."

Elizabeth II became Queen in 1952. The monarch at that time was still pretty much secular for the British monarchy and the focus was Crown and country and its people. Over 65 years we have shrunk more and more into a global society. This point is well shown by looking at those of us that post in the British royal threads. We come from all over the world with an interest in them. I think Harry means that its very much recognized that the British monarchy is now even an important institution globally and changes are needed to adapt to that.

I have seen no indication that there's been any kind of infighting with agendas in the family whatsoever. If anything, with the announcement of Philip's retirement, an emphasis was put on "Team Windsor" What better way to transition the face of a monarchy between the old and the new than working as a team to implement it? We still see the Queen in her traditional roles and doing things the way she's always done it but yet with the advent of the younger royals more and more on the stage, we see the fresh, new ways of doing things and how they do it. In between, we see Charles and Camilla, the middle stabilizing anchor holding it all together. I would even go as far as to suggest that Charles' reign will be seen as a "transitional reign".

I don't know. These are just thoughts that occurred to me of what might be.

It will be interesting to see how things change after Charles is King...and then William (should we all be alive still).....it definately sounds more and more like there's going to be some real streamlining of how things are done...all the 'functions' we see the Queen doing won't probably be seen again...smaller core group (so can we expect only the direct members of the King to be working for the most part after the bigger group retires or dies off?).

Perhaps a focus on charity work as the core....keep the major events like Ascot, the Garden party (couple of the big ones) but all the little ribbon cutting type ceremonies gone?

Interesting...perhaps we aren't going to see Charles move into the palace either...he will maintain his place at Clarence House and the palace will be for tourists any perhaps offices? Makes sense.

William/Harry will have main houses outside London with their 'apartments' at KP.

LaRae

Old 06-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Was Carolyn a poster here, Osipi? How wonderful. I do agree with her comments, of course. I'd forgotten that remark of Prince Philip's. Thankyou for posting the link, DeeT. Enjoyed the article very much!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:38 AM
Majesty

If I'm remembering right she did post quite a few of the pieces that she wrote but for the life of me, I cannot remember her member name at all. Oh for a brain that retains things the way it used to.

Now, it'll most likely come to me at 4am in the morning when I'm just about to fall asleep.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:37 AM
Aristocracy

I'm still here! - I've been busy in recent years writing books:

Magna Carta and Its Gifts to Canada (Dundurn 2015)

https://www.dundurn.com/books/Magna-...s-Gifts-Canada

Queenship and Revolution in Early Modern Europe

Queenship and Revolution in Early Modern Europe - | Carolyn Harris | Palgrave Macmillan

Raising Royalty: 1000 Years of Royal Parenting (which of course includes info about William&Harry's upbringing!)

https://www.dundurn.com/books/Raising-Royalty

Links to all my articles and interviews are available on my website www.royalhistorian.com
Old 06-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Majesty

There she is!!! Now I know I'll be able to sleep come 4 a.m.

I'm now interested in reading Raising Royalty. I'm about to read a book that I have on order called "King Kaiser Tsar: Three Royal Cousins Who Led" by Catrine Clay and this book sounds like an excellent "go along" book that would widen the perspectives. Also it would add to the perspectives of the environment Harry was raised in and how its changed over the decades.

Nothing pleases a bookaholic more than finding more books.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Aristocracy

Enjoy "Raising Royalty" - Here's the Table of Contents

The Table of Contents for Raising Royalty: 1000 Years of Royal Parenting | Carolyn Harris
Old 06-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
It will be interesting to see how things change after Charles is King...and then William (should we all be alive still).....it definately sounds more and more like there's going to be some real streamlining of how things are done...all the 'functions' we see the Queen doing won't probably be seen again...smaller core group (so can we expect only the direct members of the King to be working for the most part after the bigger group retires or dies off?).

Perhaps a focus on charity work as the core....keep the major events like Ascot, the Garden party (couple of the big ones) but all the little ribbon cutting type ceremonies gone?

Interesting...perhaps we aren't going to see Charles move into the palace either...he will maintain his place at Clarence House and the palace will be for tourists any perhaps offices? Makes sense.

William/Harry will have main houses outside London with their 'apartments' at KP.

LaRae
When we look at foreign monarchies, we see that often the monarch does not reside at all in the "headquarters":

King Felipe V of Spain lives at La Zarzuela and not the Royal Palace in Madrid.

King Philippe of Belgium lives at the Château de Laeken and not the Royal Palace in Brussels.

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden lives at Drottningholm Palace and not the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg lives at Schloss Berg and not the Grand-Ducal Palace in Luxembourg.

King Willem-Alexander will move to Huis ten Bosch Palace and not the Royal Palace in Amsterdam.

Etc.

So King Charles living at Clarence House and use Buckingham Palace for official events is quite in line with the practice in other monarchies.

Denmark is an exception as the Queen indeed lives in one of the four mansions which together form Amalienborg Palace, but she still maintains the tradition of having different residences throughout the year (Marselisborg, Fredensborg, etc.).
Old 06-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynHarris View Post
I just viewed your table of contents and this is now a must have for my collection of books. I so love the history of Europe and the Ancient Near East. In reading history books we don't learn just about the past but of things that can help us with today, if only more people would read history books then the world would be a better place for all of us. Thank you for the info!
Old 06-26-2017, 12:58 PM
Majesty

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I have put the website on speed dial though and will be enjoying that too as it seems there are many, many articles and such there that have captured my interest.

Now.... back to Harry and the lack of recent elephant pictures.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated!
Old 06-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
When we look at foreign monarchies, we see that often the monarch does not reside at all in the "headquarters":

King Felipe V of Spain lives at La Zarzuela and not the Royal Palace in Madrid.

King Philippe of Belgium lives at the Château de Laeken and not the Royal Palace in Brussels.

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden lives at Drottningholm Palace and not the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg lives at Schloss Berg and not the Grand-Ducal Palace in Luxembourg.

King Willem-Alexander will move to Huis ten Bosch Palace and not the Royal Palace in Amsterdam.

Etc.

So King Charles living at Clarence House and use Buckingham Palace for official events is quite in line with the practice in other monarchies.

Denmark is an exception as the Queen indeed lives in one of the four mansions which together form Amalienborg Palace, but she still maintains the tradition of having different residences throughout the year (Marselisborg, Fredensborg, etc.).
1. This thread is about Harry.

2. I don't think Charles/William will look to other monarchies when they decide with the UK government where to live when they take the throne.

3. King Harald and Queen Sonja also resides in the main Royal Palace in Oslo.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Royal Highness

Whether the [then] King and Queen are able to remain at Clarence House, with Buckingham Palace used for receptions/offices and Tourists will be a matter for the Government in office at the time of the Accession...
Old 06-26-2017, 02:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
[...]

Ascot -- there's an interesting point. HM and her father, as well as George V and of course King Edward VII were very enthusiastic fans of the turf, all of them knowledgeable and active horse owners and breeders. Charles does not seem to be all that interested. Luckily, Camilla is, so we might see a little shift, where it is the consort who is the principal royal racing fan.

Be that as it may, Ascot, though closely identified with HM, is not really the duty of the monarchy. All of those little ribbon-cuttings and plaque unveilings and tree-plantings, that's your monarchical bread and butter royal duty right there. OK maybe not so much the actual acts of scissors cutting ribbons per se, but those little visits are so important. Happily, that kind of personal contact is a strength of Harry's. As he defines his future role, he seems to have realized that, and that that side of him was inherited from Diana.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Whether the [then] King and Queen are able to remain at Clarence House, with Buckingham Palace used for receptions/offices and Tourists will be a matter for the Government in office at the time of the Accession...
And don't forget that Buckingham Palace will be undergoing extensive renovations and upgrades in the near future that will last for years. Right now, they plan to work around The Queen, but in the event of Charles's succession they may have him stay at Clarence House to speed up the timeline.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Ascot -- there's an interesting point. HM and her father, as well as George V and of course King Edward VII were very enthusiastic fans of the turf, all of them knowledgeable and active horse owners and breeders. Charles does not seem to be all that interested. Luckily, Camilla is, so we might see a little shift, where it is the consort who is the principal royal racing fan.

Be that as it may, Ascot, though closely identified with HM, is not really the duty of the monarchy. All of those little ribbon-cuttings and plaque unveilings and tree-plantings, that's your monarchical bread and butter royal duty right there. OK maybe not so much the actual acts of scissors cutting ribbons per se, but those little visits are so important. Happily, that kind of personal contact is a strength of Harry's. As he defines his future role, he seems to have realized that, and that that side of him was inherited from Diana.
Ascot IS her duty. Ascot is part of Crown Estate.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:15 PM
Majesty

Getting back to Harry here......

Harry isn't a horse racing fan and neither are his brother and his father so what happens with Ascot is totally up in the air and subject to another conversation in an appropriate thread.

It could all tie in with Harry's statement of bringing the monarchy into the 21st century. There will be changes with a new reign. There will be things that the royal family (and Harry included) that will be done totally different than how the "Firm" ran under HM.

I'm tending to think we'll see more global campaigns such as United for Wildlife of which Harry is an ambassador. We will see more organizations banding together for a single event such as we've seen several times with the Royal Foundation's list of charities and causes. Harry, himself, has started up the international Invictus Games.

All of these are part and parcel of why the monarchy "cannot go on as it has done under the Queen".
Old 06-26-2017, 05:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
"cannot go on as it has done under the Queen"
This eminently quotable quote [I think we need reminding], is from a one time 'spare', who will NEVER reign, be no more than a second son/younger brother/Uncle of the next Kings, and will only ever be [at best] a footnote in the history of the BRF.
The next Kings will decide the shape of the 'Firm' in the future.. NOT Harry.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
This eminently quotable quote [I think we need reminding], is from a one time 'spare', who will NEVER reign, be no more than a second son/younger brother/Uncle of the next Kings, and will only ever be [at best] a footnote in the history of the BRF.
The next Kings will decide the shape of the 'Firm' in the future.. NOT Harry.
I agree yet disagree. It most certainly be Charles' reign with him as the spearhead of the "Firm" but it will be his sons, their wives, his grandchildren and his extended family members that will be an important part of the "Firm" on an operational basis. It is that way for HM, The Queen now. Things that happen within the Firm aren't simply thought up by the monarch and issued as a directive in a memo. They consult each other, seek advice from each other and even sometimes work as a team.

Harry may only be a "spare" but I think he's more important in the scheme of things than you give him credit for. Harry, himself, also doesn't just come up with ideas (such as the Invictus Games) and just run right out getting busy and doing it but also seeks advice and approval from those he trusts to steer him in the right direction.

It'd be quite a sad thing if everything was in the power of the monarch and the rest were just puppets on a string to command to perform. I think that, in and of itself, would be the greatest danger to the institution of the monarchy more so than anything else. Some have stated that it may be a good idea for Harry to just give up and go away somewhere deep in Africa or something. Thing is, if Harry was to do that, who is to say that his walking away would strengthen the monarchy? Personally, I think should the public see a dissatisfied Harry taking his toys and going to another playground as a reason for them to think "Hey... maybe he's onto something here. Why do we need a monarchy?"

These are just thoughts that cross my mind and are my own opinions but one thing that comes from these discussions is that they make us think. We're not buying into sensational headlines but actually expressing opinions and listening to other's opinions and actually coming up with some interesting points of view.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

No, people think like that when he says stupit things like this: ''Is there any one of the royal family who wants to be king or queen? I don’t think so, but we will carry out our duties at the right time'' and when the the manipulating British press then write that Harry says no-one in the royal family wants to be monarchs.