General News for Prince Harry, Part 1: December 2016 - November 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points. My feeling is it was sent just to Harry, though.

Good call Osipi. And doesn't William have a pregnant wife renowned for not keeping the best of health while pregnant. No-brainer!

It could be a reciprocative move by the Royal Foundation also. The Obamas were all too happy to help with the Invictus Games promotion last year when they were held in Orlando. The Invictus Games actually is under the umbrella of the Royal Foundation. Now, the Royal Foundation has been called on to reciprocate when it is a project sponsored by the Obamas.

These kind of events are usually done between organizations that have their own planners and decision making teams with people like W&K&H and the Obamas spearheading them. The more I think about it, I do seriously doubt that the invitation was issued between personal friends but rather between different organizations with similar interests.

Alternatively it was one nasty divisive comment from a sad person on Twitter that isnt worth commenting on.

Someone on Twitter said it was a slap in the face to Will that he was not invited and that it must sting William. I think it just that Harry is much closer to the Obama.

Yes, I think this is it. He seems to have built a genuine relationship with them over the last few years. And that is good for Harry and the RF, in general, as it brings them a lot of good press.

Who knows, Harry and Barack Obama may have discussed the Summit when he visited Harry at KP a few months ago and he agreed. When you see the two of them together, like at the IG you can see a warm friendship.

That's just ridiculous. William and Harry have their own things apart from each other too. Neither of them is going to be 'stung' about not getting invited to X.

LaRae

I agree. It's a shame that some people have nothing better to do than to project their own feelings onto a situation that has nothing to do with them.

How would anyone think it a slap to William? Just because he is future king doesn't mean he has to be invited to everything :bang:

And I don't think the invitation was sent to the foundation and they decided to send Harry. Honestly I wouldn't be surprise if the Obamas have never heard of coach core. Its not exactly the most public work that the foundation does. The heads together campaign, invictus, yes. Coach core the Obamas could be forgiven for not being aware of.

I think it very much was a personal invitation. Harry has built a rapport with the couple through Invictus. Where William has met them on the state visit, Harry has met them and interacted with them for Invictus. It seems to me the Obamas sent an invitation for Harry to be part of the kick off of their initiative and he accepted. Common ground for him and the couple.

People just liking to stir up muck where there is none :ermm:

This thread is for Harry's general news, so posts about Harry and Meghan's relationship have been moved to the Harry and Meghan thread. Please keep this thread on-topic.

Might it be seen as a bit too political for William at this point to associate too closely w/ Obama since the current president of the USA is from a different political party?

I really do think it has more to do with the organizations that they're involved with rather than on politics. It does seem like there is an easygoing friendship between those that spearhead the projects (Obamas, W&K&H) and that has to be a positive asset.

All the organizations that these people are involved with are not political in any sense and all of them seek to benefit the people that need them. Whether it be youth leadership in Chicago or supporting and bolstering the lives of wounded warriors or protecting the environment and the animals that live in it, its quite easy to see that their efforts are humanitarian rather than politically orientated.

I've always said that if these organizations make a difference in one person's life, then it is all worthwhile. One does not have to like a certain person and his methods or his politics to appreciate and support what that person is trying to do on a humanitarian level.

Might it be seen as a bit too political for William at this point to associate too closely w/ Obama since the current president of the USA is from a different political party?

You're right, Obama is not president, so its not a political event. It is a charity event run by a former president.

Besides it isn't William meeting with members of the British parliament, or with a commonwealth country. No worries he would be accused of trying to meddle in politics like Charles has been accused. The US is out of his wheel house.

A tasty education

I am aghast! I am dumbfounded! OMG! One of the most delicious, most gooiest, most scrumptious treats in the world has eluded our Prince Harry!

Its been revealed that Harry has never, ever tasted a s'more! I would seriously love to be the fly on the wall if and when he does sink his teeth into this delicious treat. As a former Girl Scout and Girl Scout leader, life is just not as good without s'mores!

For those who haven't heard of s'mores, they're easy to make. You need:

Graham crackers
Hershey chocolate bars
Marshmallows roasted over a campfire

Put a layer of the chocolate bar onto a graham cracker. Then add the roasted marshmallow and cover with another graham cracker and squish. They're so good, you want s'more!

https://www.aol.com/article/lifestyle/2017/10/27/prince-harry-has-never-tasted-a-smore/23258478/

BTW: the photo gallery of Harry with kids is just too cute for words. That is something I'll never tire of. Seeing Harry's expressions when he's around kids.

Last edited:
:previous: I read that he didn't eat s'mores because he finds marshmallows too sweet.

That's a logical reason for not eating a marshmallow in my book as I do not have much of a sweet tooth myself. But even though they're so sweet, they taste so wonderful roasted over an open fire. I even like mine burnt. :D

According to the CC Harry left Denmark on the 26th and flew to Norfolk, landing at an RAF base there. Probably relaxing a bit with the Cambridges at Anmer, or perhaps Wood Farm until he flies to Chicago. There are generally shoots going on at this time of the year.

My daughter loved rabbits and had white ones. One was called Cotton and one was called Marshmallow. She was also a Girl Scout like her mom. :D

I enjoyed that article. I think Harry takes “duty” very seriously and steps up to the plate. IMO he’s hits a homerun every time we see him.

So apparently Harry broke Army rules by appearing in uniform with his beard

Prince Harry breaks military rules by wearing a beard | Daily Mail Online

Prince Harry has broken military rules by wearing a beard while on official duty in a British Army uniform.
The 33-year-old retired from active service two years ago, but on Remembrance Sunday appeared with prominent ginger facial hair at the Cenotaph in London as a senior Blues and Royals officer.
A serving member in the elite cavalry regiment said: 'Prince Harry is letting us all down. There's no place for beards in the Queen's cavalry. He should have shaved it off for such an important day.'

He wasn't on official military duty I don't believe. That's the 'duty' it would refer to, not a BRF official engagement.

LaRae

Sorry I’m not good at posting pictures but maybe someone can. George V had a beard 1919

The rule does exist, with the exception of the Pioneer Corp. but he is no longer in the Military so I dont think the rule applies.

Beard ok for the navy; moustaches ok for army and RAF

What I dont understand is why he is wearing that uniform. He does not hold any army post. He does have honourary navy and airforce positions so it would make sense to wear one of those.

When someone leaves the services, they dont carry on wearing their uniform.

There is probably a reason but I have no idea what it is.

EDIT. Have been sent the following by ex army

Full Uniform (which includes headdress and cap badges), may be worn on specified official occasions by ex-servicemen, providing the letter 'R' depicting 'Retired' is worn, is provided at individual expense, and agreed in advance,on request, by the relevant MOD department. It is not however a practice which is encouraged; eg. it is not normal for retired officers to wear their old uniform on Remembrance Sunday, or any other occasion, unless the officer was acting in an official or representative capacity.

Last edited:
IF it were really verboten [amongst Princes] Prince Michael of Kent would NEVER have worn a uniform, and HMQ would have had a sharp word with her grandson beforehand...

Last edited by a moderator:
IF it were really verboten [amongst Princes] Prince Michael of Kent would NEVER have worn a uniform, and HMQ would have had a sharp word with her grandson beforehand...

But I wanted to know WHY is was allowed, not just accept as thats how it works.
I’m happy now I know cos Ive wondered for yrs.

Come on, most senior BRF-males have served in several units, even several branches, and hold a position of some sort in up to several regiments.

If they were to conform to the various rules and traditions they would have to be clean-shaven and wear false beards. ?

In contrast most servicemen (I think we can safely omit most women from this discussion...) belong to one unit at a time.

It's typical of Daily Mail to make a song and dance act out of such a trivial matter. :whistling:
Has Harry earned the right to wear the uniform? - Yes.
Is he a disgrace to the uniform/military? - No.
Did he wear sandals with the uniform or the cap turned the other way around? - No.
Did he behave in an undignified manner? - No.
So, is there a problem? - Nope.

Come on, most senior BRF-males have served in several units, even several branches, and hold a position of some sort in up to several regiments.

If they were to conform to the various rules and traditions they would have to be clean-shaven and wear false beards. ?

In contrast most servicemen (I think we can safely omit most women from this discussion...) belong to one unit at a time.

It's typical of Daily Mail to make a song and dance act out of such a trivial matter. :whistling:
Has Harry earned the right to wear the uniform? - Yes.
Is he a disgrace to the uniform/military? - No.
Did he wear sandals with the uniform or the cap turned the other way around? - No.
Did he behave in an undignified manner? - No.
So, is there a problem? - Nope.

If this is directed at me let me reiterate - he can wear a beard, and its the DM making news rather than reporting it.

I queried that he is wearing an army uniform because he doesnt hold an honorary position in an army regiment.

How I understand because someone actually thought it was a reasonable question which I am entitled to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom