The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-23-2017, 01:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Losing their minds? Do you mean that, or was it a slip of auto-correct?
I mean people were making too much noise about the interview.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-23-2017, 03:27 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Osipi, can you recall the source that stated that the sit down occurred in October? I haven't been able to find it.
Y'know, I couldn't find a source either. I think I was going by what other people were saying in posts that this interview happened in October. I did, however, find the source of the fact that Newsweek had been following Harry around for a year prior to their article. This article comes from Newsweek itself.

Exclusive: Prince Harry on Chaos After Diana's Death and Why the World Needs 'the Magic' of the Royal Family

Old 06-23-2017, 06:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

IMO both Harry and William needed less "ordinary" and more "royal". When you think of their ages and what they have achieved it's not an awful lot. William's "job" keeps his flying hours up and OK Harry's career was, to all intents and purposes, taken away in this age of instant communications which made his army situation untenable.

Ordinary! Pffft!

The press breaking the embargo during Harry's first stint in Afghanistan got him sent home. However, the press didn't force him to leave the Army. He did that himself.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:55 AM
Majesty

I wonder if you are interested in what foreign royal commentators has to say.
Here in DK the historian Lars Hovbakke Sørensen is used all the time to comment on royal events and issues. Sometimes I agree with him, other times I think it's nonsense, but at least he tries to be as unbiased as possible.

Ekspert efter prins Harrys chokerende udtalelse: Derfor vil vi aldrig høre kronprins Frederik sige det samme | BT Royale - www.bt.dk

"It's not something you often hear the royals say. There is after all no one who is in doubt that the royals has a very high sense of duty in connection with doing the job they have. Because they are born to it, without having chosen it. But it is pretty unusual that they say that they are not keen on taking on the job/doing the job". He adds that the statement seem extra surprising as Prince Harry is the fifth in line to the British throne is a central person in the BRF.

Frederik has previously expressed misgivings about eventually becoming king.
"He has in many ways signaled that he was kind of insecure. He isn't anymore, but it surely is obvious that it's typical for the many young in the royal families that they at some point are in doubt as to what role and position they actually have - and whether that is something they feel like living up to - as they haven't chosen it themselves".

He adds that we at present will not see similar statements from the Danish princes:
"No, not at present. It might be that Crown Prince Frederik would have liked to say that previously but it's not at all on topic at present".

Lars Hovbakke Sørensen can well understand Harry's need for talking about him walking behind the coffin with his mother:
"It's very natural that he vents these things. Surely everyone can understand that it has been incredibly hard.
The special thing about the royals is that their public and private life is intertwined in a completely different way than other people and that's why they end up in such situations, where it's difficult to say what is the right thing to do. When you have to do what is right in relation to the family and to the public institution the royal house and the way it interacts with the rest of the society".
Old 06-23-2017, 07:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The press breaking the embargo during Harry's first stint in Afghanistan got him sent home. However, the press didn't force him to leave the Army. He did that himself.
Not entirely, had Harry not been forced to leave Afghanistan and had continued flying on the front lines, rather than being assigned a "safe" desk job, I believe he'd still be in the military. The press showed they couldn't be trusted even when lives were at risk so Harry couldn't remain in combat zones which radically altered choices available to him.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:38 AM
Majesty

Harry was in his element when he was in active service in Afghanistan and I agree he'd still be in the military if he had been able to serve as just "another one of the guys". Because of who he is and with the press attention, he became a giant red bulls eye that detracted from the job they were trying to do and resulted in him leaving Afghanistan. I seriously think Harry just wanted to be left alone, to do what he came to do and was no more important than the rest of the soldiers he was involved with. His royal status made that impossible and probably annoyed the hell out of him.

There are and always will be downsides to being a royal and who better to know that then the ones that experience it firsthand.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Andrew served 20 years in the royal navy. From the Falklands War to the Ministry of Defence.

Harry knew when he signed up he wouldn't be in Afghanistan forever. Units and soldiers get rotated all the time.

I think he got bored and decided to leave to army but it was his choice. He could still be serving in some capacity if he wanted.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Wasn't it that to get the next natural promotion, Harry had to do a stint comprised mainly of desk work as opposed to actual combat? And that was why he chose to leave when he did.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Majesty

If I remember right, it was. Harry, though, I think was more inclined to be involved with being part of active service than the urge to rise up among the ranks.

No matter what, no one can say that he shirked his duty to crown and country. He's just found better ways to do it now through his royal roles.

Its all good.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Prince Andrew served 20 years in the royal navy. From the Falklands War to the Ministry of Defence.

Harry knew when he signed up he wouldn't be in Afghanistan forever. Units and soldiers get rotated all the time.

I think he got bored and decided to leave to army but it was his choice. He could still be serving in some capacity if he wanted.
I agree. The press had nothing to do with Harry leaving the Army or even leaving Afghanistan in the case of his second tour of duty. Other family members served longer in the Armed Forces, e.g. the Duke of York and the Duke of Kent.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:37 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
Wasn't it that to get the next natural promotion, Harry had to do a stint comprised mainly of desk work as opposed to actual combat? And that was why he chose to leave when he did.
That's what I remember. And Harry may not have been suited to a desk job. Not everyone is and better that he realized it and left the military than remain and not enjoy or be effective in the position. Remaining because it was just expected or there was nothing else to do (in the military) would seem to be a poor choice all around.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I agree. The press had nothing to do with Harry leaving the Army or even leaving Afghanistan in the case of his second tour of duty. Other family members serced longer in the Armed Forces, e.g. the Duke of York and the Duke of Kent.
And that was a different time, no instant news for one thing--and so what. Why should Harry stay in the military just because his uncle and grandmother's cousin did? That is a stupid reason.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
That's what I remember. And Harry may not have been suited to a desk job. Not everyone is and better that he realized it and left the military than remain and not enjoy or be effective in the position. Remaining because it was just expected or there was nothing else to do (in the military) would seem to be a poor choice all around.
I am not a military person, but I suppose that, if one wants to pursue a long-term career as an officer, a desk job is something that will inevitably come up at some point, isn't it ? More informed posters may comment further .
Old 06-23-2017, 09:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

So on this subject I actually wanted to take some time before responding.

This interview has clearly been "dropped" and hasn't come as the full picture. It's not like it's come out of a documentary/interview in a magazine so we could get the full context.

My biggest issue is that Henry is speaking on a subject that he does not have to deal with himself. He will never be King. Therefore don't badmouth something that your father and brother have worked all their lives/working for to do. Everyone knows that being a monarch especially is bloomin hard, we know we couldn't cope with it and that it is a massive weight on someones shoulder. But he cannot tell people that from his position. He sounds like a whinging child.

This has come as a massive surprise for me, because Henry has always appeared laid back in the way he approaches things but the way to approach a subject like this isn't to blurt out. We know Henry had/has massive issues with the press, and if this is an attempt to tell them they struggle it's backfired.

In their situation it's easier to embrace it, and try and make it your own which I think William and Catherine have been doing.

It is such a shame that he decided to speak on this subject.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:15 AM
Majesty

The more I think about it, as much as I do admire Harry's openness and candor recently, I can very much see where this one statement about being King is a good example of "open mouth, insert foot". He may not have intended the statement to garner the reactions that it did but sometimes when one doesn't choose their words properly and with a lot of thought, they just come out so very wrong.

Of course we're never going to hear about his family's reaction to his words but I can't imagine them being overly happy at the way a statement could insinuate that they could even resent their roles but plug on because that is their "duty".

Charles has defined his role as Prince of Wales excellently and I see no reason to believe that won't continue when he is king. William (and Kate) are very much following in the example the whole family sets and draws the line between public duties and private lives and thoughts.

Sometimes in order to get things right though, one has to make a mistake in order to learn from it.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Video - CTV's Royal Commentator Richard Berthelsen says Prince Harry may have gone too far in some of his remarks made during a recent interview:
CTV News Channel: 'An awkward situation' | CTV News

Richard Berthelsen is a very serious royal commentator and I agree with what he says (something I rarely do when it comes to the so-called royal commentators).
Old 06-23-2017, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Many non UK posters on here only have limited access to the entire range of UK media.

I read nearly all (don't do Daily Mail) and this interview has not helped Harry or the BRF with journos or the public. The vast majority think that he has a life of privilege and it comes at a cost. If he doesn't want to pay it, then leave.

This is the "man in the street" response. Not royal followers or Harry fans which are found on sites like this.

So in the UK this is a PR disaster.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-23-2017, 10:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Video - CTV's Royal Commentator Richard Berthelsen says Prince Harry may have gone too far in some of his remarks made during a recent interview:
CTV News Channel: 'An awkward situation' | CTV News

Richard Berthelsen is a very serious royal commentator and I agree with what he says (something I rarely do when it comes to the so-called royal commentators).
The thing is Harry didn't go too far. His words were misinterpreted, but everyone already knows that the family don't have any ambition to get the Top Job. It's pure duty and service that the royal family work under. No member of the family really publicly talks about the possibility of becoming monarch. Not even Charles talks about it. If so, he's uncomfortable talking about it.

What really gets me is that many of these veteran royal reporters and correspondents know what Harry is talking about. They wanted a little excitement in their royal reporting and twisted Harry's words into the idea of he's saying that no one wants the future role of monarch. They made it seem like he's whining about his position. He knows it's a unique privilege and he's and other members of the family use it to do some good for others and the kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Many non UK posters on here only have limited access to the entire range of UK media.

I read nearly all (don't do Daily Mail) and this interview has not helped Harry or the BRF with journos or the public. The vast majority think that he has a life of privilege and it comes at a cost. If he doesn't want to pay it, then leave.

This is the "man in the street" response. Not royal followers or Harry fans which are found on sites like this.

So in the UK this is a PR disaster.
I don't think the royal family is getting their knickers in a twist over it though.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree he shouldn't be talking about something that will never happen for him. Harry isn't going to be king.

What's happening now is some papers like the DM are taking a pop at the entire royal family (not the Queen)

It wasn't a good thing for Harry to say and I agree with Cepe, it's a PR disaster.

Max Hastings: Prince Harry should stop whinging | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
....... His words were misinterpreted, but everyone already knows that the family don't have any ambition to get the Top Job. It's pure duty and service that the royal family work under. No member of the family really publicly talks about the possibility of becoming monarch. Not even Charles talks about it. If so, he's uncomfortable talking about it.

What really gets me is that many of these veteran royal reporters and correspondents know what Harry is talking about. They wanted a little excitement in their royal reporting and twisted Harry's words into the idea of he's saying that no one wants the future role of monarch. They made it seem like he's whining about his position. He knows it's a unique privilege and he's and other members of the family use it to do some good for others and the kingdom.
this has been my thought on this 'out of context' soundbite - when Harry said no one in the family wants the job - I believe he was referring to aspiration, ambition and desire. The entire family has been raised with a sense of duty and responsibility.

The reporters (and their editors) were looking for click bait - if Harry had said the family wants the job then the headlines would have been "Coup at the Palace: Harry wants the Throne" or "William to fight Charles for the Crown". I think the more polished reply would have been that the family wants to serve. but that isnt nearly as interesting. He will learn - these are the types of missteps that happen when you speak to the press directly. No wonder HM doesnt give interviews

of whom much is given, much is expected