The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 10:25 PM
Serene Highness

It has become very clear to me that with many people whatever Harry and Meghan do it will be wrong and hypocritical. I am older and therefore am limited in what I can do in regard to many of the worlds problems. In other words my days of marching and protesting are over, but I do have to wonder what all the people who are complaining are actively doing in regards to the world's problems. Honestly, it too often just sounds like jealousy and bitterness and complaining about what is wrong with what so many others in the world are doing to bring recognition to these issues, especially if they are wealthy.

I honestly wouldn't blame Harry and Meghan if they decided to just toss it in and disappear somewhere.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbutterfly View Post
I think until we invent new ways to travel long distances all this aeroplane talk is silly, especially because we can all do things to individually and collectively offset our carbon footprints. This is what large corporations meet to discuss...things like ethical supply chains, reforestation etc. As individuals however we can still all do our part.

Of course the simplest way to travel long distances is to fly.
But, private planes seem a bit self-indulgent.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:52 AM
Courtier

It's great that Meghan takes an interest in the very popular and inclusive sport of Lawn Bowls.

The Queen, Prince Charles and Princess Anne, Duke of Gloucester etc. rarely put a foot wrong when supporting various charities and environmental issues.
Harry and Meghan should remember to foremost lend an ear to the wisdom of older working royals.
And plane travel is a given for anyone who is instumental in any area of business, World leadership or conservation. Doesn't Harry use regular flights?
Some wealthy people might use elite aircraft but they also bring in large funding and attention to issues.
For Harry to participate he will rub shoulders with those who think the same, from all walks. Should he stay at home riding a bicycle? Sometimes but not always.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:41 AM
Majesty

Depending on their calendars, often air travel is the only option and catching a lift with friends or acquaintances isn't ideal but it's that or nothing. HM and Prince Philip took weeks and months on their tours using the Britannia and that is quite a footprint not to mention a heavy investment in time.

These days members of the BRF routinely use a helicopter to get around the UK and that includes HM, The Princess Royal, The Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Andrew and Prince William. Getting on a scheduled flight is not easy because it is not as if it is just Harry nipping off to Italy but also his support and (more importantly) his Protection Officers.

You only have to look at Meghan's attendance at the tennis to dramatically illustrate the consequences of her being there observing the rows and rows of empty seats all around them. Meghan didn't do that because she wanted to keep the common people away from her but her RPO's did and we know they must have a solid reason for doing so because the same thing happened the last time Harry flew budget. The took up the back six or so rows across the plane.

Travelling budget is an exercise in futility because they know and their RPO's know that there are significant credible threats to all of the members of the Sussex family and in an attempt to be seen to be less privileged they only succeed in inconveniencing lots of ordinary members of the public which is, counter-productive.

What I am trying to say is that we cannot apply the same rules to everyone because it doesn't work.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
It has become very clear to me that with many people whatever Harry and Meghan do it will be wrong and hypocritical. I am older and therefore am limited in what I can do in regard to many of the worlds problems. In other words my days of marching and protesting are over, but I do have to wonder what all the people who are complaining are actively doing in regards to the world's problems. Honestly, it too often just sounds like jealousy and bitterness and complaining about what is wrong with what so many others in the world are doing to bring recognition to these issues, especially if they are wealthy.

I honestly wouldn't blame Harry and Meghan if they decided to just toss it in and disappear somewhere.

This and thank you. It’s often the wealthy and powerful who are in a position to make a change. Especially on a larger scale. If all of it is considered hypocritical than none of them can do anything and nothing will change.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I’ve deleted a number of posts. Just a reminder for the Sussex forums:
  • The media is now no longer a topic of discussion. All comments on royal reporters, journalists, media outlets, or any comments with the intention of making the media the topic of discussion instead of the content of the article will be removed immediately by the moderating team.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:29 PM
Nobility

Now the silence is deafening! Has Harry’s press office given us any content to comment on regarding his carbon jaunt to the Google camp with security at taxpayer expense?
Old 08-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Majesty

The Cambridges flew to Mustique and back for a week's holiday with the Middletons, and using private planes for the trip. Did that not leave any carbon print? And RPOs were also covering them at taxpayers expense. Are you questioning those arrangements?
Old 08-02-2019, 03:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

IIRC didn't the Cambridges also go to Google Camp in the past? I don't remember any outcry about their carbon footprint (and security) when they went.

The double standard gets very old.

LaRae
Old 08-02-2019, 04:03 PM
Majesty

Several royals have been known to take painting holidays, short breaks to conferences overseas like Davos, taking private planes and sometimes borrowed yachts. God knows what the carbon print is on those. Not to mention shooting trips to Spain on private planes owned by friends while preaching conservation. And all with taxpayer funded RPOs in tow!
Old 08-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
IIRC didn't the Cambridges also go to Google Camp in the past? I don't remember any outcry about their carbon footprint (and security) when they went.

The double standard gets very old.

LaRae
Not that I know off. Harry went 2 years ago. So, probably best to get the facts before talking about 'double standards'.

And as far as I can see, other royals are and have also been called out if they go against the message they preach.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Once again, this thread isn’t about the Cambridges, or other members of the BRF. Take those discussions to their threads. Any further off-topic comments will be deleted.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:35 PM
Commoner

Again, do we have confirmation that he did in fact go to this event or are we happy to take one publication's word for it and go down our preferred rabbit holes?
Old 08-02-2019, 09:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
Now the silence is deafening! Has Harry’s press office given us any content to comment on regarding his carbon jaunt to the Google camp with security at taxpayer expense?
I don't see any reason why there would be a comment released. Its just a fact of life and a given that wherever Harry (and others) go, they will have around the clock protection officers looking out for their safety whether Harry goes to McDonald's on the corner or Antarctica to visit polar bears.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 08-02-2019, 11:46 PM
Royal Highness

Apparently Meghan is writing a children's book

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...scue-dogs.html

Good-goo-a-moo is there anything Meghan won't try and do? Still in the works it claims but it may work with her patronage the Mayhew.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:07 AM
Nobility

General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post

Good-goo-a-moo is there anything Meghan won't try and do? Still in the works it claims but it may work with her patronage the Mayhew.

There seems to be no end to Meg’s talents! The last time the mother of royal off-spring reinvented herself as a children's author was dear Fergie after her split from Prince Andrew decades years ago. I hope Meg’s literary career won’t struggle in the end like Fergie’s after industry figures showed one of her book titles sold fewer than 200 copies in Britain. Marie Christine, Princess Michael is quite good at researching and writing grown up books all by herself.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHat View Post
Again, do we have confirmation that he did in fact go to this event or are we happy to take one publication's word for it and go down our preferred rabbit holes?
I don't believe an official confirmation of Harry attending the Google event in Sicily has been made. That said, I did read something (which again may or many not be true, given all the misinformation around) that the Sussex press office refused to confirm how Harry may have traveled to Sicily, suggesting it may indeed be true.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:43 AM
Majesty

Meghan writing a children's book? I'd definitely suggest 'consider the source' on that allegation. Especially when quoting an unnamed 'Royal insider'. Charles also wrote a children's book, of course. And I believe Princess Michael was accused of plaigerism after the publication of at least one of her books.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post

They won't, because it's never only about the cause, but also about them, and not in a royal, but in a celebrity way of doing things.

Charles uses private planes etc but his causes are about his causes and not about him, that's the royal way to do it.
The bread and butter jobs.
Not always the glitzy movie premieres, fashion stuff, surrounding yourself with the famous and important with celebrity attitude.
Somebody said, it's not the causes but the way they approach them. Exactly.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post

Consider the source of this. This dude went on rant saying 'royals don't guest edit magazines' and this ear splitting tirade giving the game away. He knows nothing and is just blustering the usual fan fiction.

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status...518383617?s=19

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry