Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the interview filmed in Nott Cott? It looked nice; I had always imagined it as funky, dark, and cramped! (Don’t know why I thought that).

Does this engagement mean that Meghan can join Harry for Christmas dinner at Sandringham (sp?)?

I think the timing thing is a bit contentious for some people. There was a lot of buzz about Meghan dropping Cory as soon as Mr Prince came into the picture.

I think being vague about when exactly they met diffuses some of it

I don't think her bad math has helped matters at all. By all accounts, we've heard early July, which is similar to her comments to Pier Morgan about being single in late June. If that's the case, she didn't drop Cory as soon as Harry entered the picture. They've gone their separate ways before Harry and her met. But anytime that we've gotten any specific time, it's always been July, so I'll take that as such.

FashionMaven I think that is up to the Queen. I'm trying to remember if Kate joined them or not after she and William announced (in Nov). For some reason I don't think she did. Hmmm

LaRae

Does this engagement mean that Meghan can join Harry for Christmas dinner at Sandringham (sp?)?

I don't know about Christmas dinner, I don't think that's the allowed even for fiancee. However, I'd expect her to be there for the Queen's lunch at Buckingham Palace.

I don't think her bad math has helped matters at all. By all accounts, we've heard early July, which is similar to her comments to Pier Morgan about being single in late June. If that's the case, she didn't drop Cory as soon as Harry entered the picture. They've gone their separate ways before Harry and her met. But anytime that we've gotten any specific time, it's always been July, so I'll take that as such.

In the interview Harry said the first of July so....

LaRae

The first of July....his late mother's birthday?

Congratulations to the happy couple! Glad I was proved right, I told my MIL that Meghan was 'the one' way back when Harry issued that statement asking the media to leave Meghan alone.

I don't buy into the having to know each other for years before you get married scenario. If somebody is the one, you know pretty quickly. I knew I wanted to marry my husband after two weeks of him staying with me on holiday from Boston. We've been married 19 years now.

It will be fun (though maybe also at times frustrating) for Meghan adapting from American to British ways, as my hubby did. And he didn't have to become part of the royal family!

No, Meghan won't have to give up her US citizenship if she becomes naturalised as British. Neither the US nor the UK require new citizens give up their prior citizenship. I suspect, however, that unlike my husband, who is just a salaried employee, Meghan WILL renounce her US citizenship. That's because the US is one of the very few countries who tax on worldwide income. Meghan is likely to be very rich by the time she becomes British, and living in the UK, she will be required to pay UK tax as well as US tax. She can offset the tax she pays in the UK against her US tax, but I'm not sure the British public would like the money she gets being given to the US IRS. Prince Albert II of Monaco renounced his US citizenship on his 21st birthday for the same reason. But at the end of the day it is Meghan's çhoice.

Last edited:
Was the interview filmed in Nott Cott? It looked nice; I had always imagined it as funky, dark, and cramped! (Don’t know why I thought that).

My first impression and my impressions can't be taken as gospel truth is that the interview was done in Apt. 1A which houses their KP staff and W&K&H have held events and interviews there before. It seems logical to me.

Besides, Harry had his Nott Cott painted in a pink color. :D

My first impression and my impressions can't be taken as gospel truth is that the interview was done in Apt. 1A which houses their KP staff and W&K&H have held events and interviews there before. It seems logical to me.

I don't if it's 1A, but it doesn't seem to be Nott Cott. He does have his offices in KP as well in addition to living at Nott Cott, so it wouldn't be surprising to me if it was somewhere else in KP like his other interviews in the past.

I had heard about the pink walls too. :lol:

Ins't 1A the private appartment of W&K ?
I suspect they were in the former Diana's appartment, now indeed offices for the Cambridges and Harry.

Last edited:
funky, dark, and cramped

'Cottage' OFTEN summons up that image, but this Cottage is late 17th Century, with the high ceilings and large Sash windows characteristic of that era.It is ONLY a Cottage in terms of size, compared to the Palace next door...

That action was indeed quite impulsive and seems rushed but that was more than 15 months ago... So, not sure why that makes their engagement rushed. Harry had his summer already planned and apparently didn't want to wait for 10 weeks (didn't he stay in Africa for 10 weeks last summer?) to see her again. And was able to convince her to come over.

It makes sense that she wanted to make sure that her friend was not organizing a date just because he was a prince. Other than that, yes, I share some of your discomfort but on the other hand, many people nowadays meet by internet, so a friend who thinks that the two of you might get on, is more personal than that.

Their behavior during the interview and photo call leads me to think otherwise. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I wouldn't expect 'though' questions at an engagement interview; this is their way to present themselves and especially Meghan to the British people - of course they are not asking a royal criticaster to do the interview, that would be very bad PR management of the Firm. And she was actually asked about the comments regarding her ethnicity that I can imagine she rather not talked about. What other 'though' questions did you have in mind? It was interesting how Meghan volunteered information about Harry not having met her father.

I agree with so much of what you have said. I was trying to write an answer to Mbruno's post but yours is good.

The only thing I disagree with is the blind date. I have no discomfort with it. The friend knew them well enough to think they might hit it off--whether she expected this--who knows. But my brothers and I would not exist if friends had not set my parents up on a blind date many years ago.

I also thought it was funny when Harry talked about how the corgis have been barking at him for the past 30 years, and just went up and sat at Meghan's feet quietly when they met her. :lol:

My guess is, if anything won the Queen over to approve the marriage it was probably the corgis behavior towards Meghan.

I think Nottingham Cottage is more like a normal 2 bedroom house.

I agree with so much of what you have said. I was trying to write an answer to Mbruno's post but yours is good.

The only thing I disagree with is the blind date. I have no discomfort with it. The friend knew them well enough to think they might hit it off--whether she expected this--who knows. But my brothers and I would not exist if friends had not set my parents up on a blind date many years ago.

I met my husband through a mutual friend. She said that she thought that her co-worker and I would be a good match. Since she knows me well, we (he and I) started an online conversation and met a week later. It was a set-up, big time. And it was successful.

Four weeks later he had moved in with me. Two years later we got married. I was divorced and convinced that I would never remarry. He's six years younger than me and never had a serious girlfriend. When we met, we just knew. Sometimes you just know. So yes, I really do think that Harry meant what he said when he was asked "When did you know she was the one?" and he answered "The first time we met":

Timeline

In the interview Harry said the first of July so....

LaRae
Wasn't that the 'back-to-back' meetings? It sounded as if their first meeting (blind date) took place earlier but it wasn't completely clear to me. After transcribing the relevant part of the interview, I think you are right: beginning of July 2016 seems to be when they first met.

I: And this is how long after you first met?
M: It would be a year and a half.
H: Yeah.
M: Two, a little bit more than that.
H: No, just about a year and a half.
(...)
M: How public it has become, after we had a good 5-6 months of privacy, which was amazing.
(...)

I: How did you first meet?
(...)
H: we met once and then twice, two dates back to back in London, last July, beginning of July. And then it was three maybe four weeks later that I managed to persuade her to come and join me in Botswana and we camped out with each other under the stars. We spend... She came and joined me for 5 days out there. Which was absolutely fantastic. Then we were really by ourselves which was crucial to me to have a chance to get to know each other.

I: The friend who introduced you, was she trying to set you up?
M: Yes, it was definitely a set-up. It was a blind date.
H: A blind date for sure.
(...)
M: And so we went and had, met for a drink and then very quickly into that, we said 'what are we doing tomorrow. We should meet again.
H: Yeah, what are we doing tomorrow. Let's meet again. And then it was right, diaries, we need to get the diaries out and find out how we are going to make this work because I was off to Africa for a month, she was working. And we said, right, where is the gap? And the gap happened to be the perfect place.

Last edited:
My guess is, if anything won the Queen over to approve the marriage it was probably the corgis behavior towards Meghan.

:lol: You could be right. Animals are a great judge of character. It was extremely clever of Meghan to bond with the corgis immediately. It would have endeared her to HM I am sure.

Lady Diana Spencer was extremely uncomfortable that the Queen allowed the dogs to remain in the room during tea during the engagement with Charles.. She said that they were under the table the entire time.

I personally would have loved it, but Diana was not that much into dogs sadly.

MM I thought it significant that they didn't go more than 2 weeks during this whole dating time period without seeing each other.

LaRae

Ins't 1A the private appartment of W&K ?
I suspect they were in the former Diana's appartment, now indeed offices for the Cambridges and Harry.

Oh crap! Thanks for catching that, Nico! You're absolutely right. Apt 8&9 were Diana's apartment that has been turned into the offices for the Cambridges nad Harry. :D

OOOPS! Had my head filled with the engagement roast chicken recipe. :lol:

MM I thought it significant that they didn't go more than 2 weeks during this whole dating time period without seeing each other.

LaRae

They put a lot of work into this relationship already.?

And it is amazing that they were able to stay under the radar most of the time!

They put a lot of work into this relationship already.?

And it is amazing that they were able to stay under the radar most of the time!

I'm telling ya...there's a book deal to be had there!!!!!

Yep that's a long time period to commit to every 2 weeks when you live in separate countries and have busy schedules.

LaRae

Some quick thoughts:

1) It seems that they have been in a relationship for less than one year and a half actually. Besides, they admitted they went together to Botswana after only two proper dates. That adds to my perception that their engagement was a little bit rushed and pushed by the media.

Her going to Botswana last year after 2 dates seems rushed, sure, but that was over a year ago. Not entirely sure how it makes the whole engagement rushed.

People very commonly get engaged after just a year together, particularly when they’re older.

2) Maybe it is just me, but I find it odd that someone actually intentionally "set them up" and that Meghan knew beforehand that it was a setup and even inquired from her friend if it was worth it.

What part is odd? To me it very much seems like how set ups work. Person 1 has 2 friends who don’t know each other and are single and decides to set them up. Both of them likely know it’s a set up and at least one of them is going to ask the mutual friend what the other is like and if the set up is worth it. Having been set up more than once myself, I can assure you that happens a lot.

3) Again, maybe it's just me, but I don't get the same feeling that everybody is getting that they seem romantically in love. It sounds to me more like a relationship that is convenient to both parts for different reasons.

I feel like you’re being overly jaded here... a relationship that literally involved one of the two of them making an 8 hour flight on a weekly basis for a year and a half is not a relationship of convenience.

I actually once suggested a blind date between a colleague of mine and a friend of my husband; it never happened as said friend soon afterwards met his now wife - so, my slight discomfort doesn't mean that I am set against it. It just feels a little strange and especially to set a prince up with one of your friends ?

I bet the wedding is March 2018. We'll find out tomorrow if I'm right.

I bet they won't marry in march, during lent. So maybe a rush wedding in early february? If not, may or early june. But we'll see.

A pleasure to watch the interview. Harry seems absolutely besotted and I do think she will be good for him as she appears quite intelligent a bit older and more mature which is good, and respectful of the rf and in love as well. I love the white coat in Diana’s white garden and the stones in her ring.
Btw, I don’t think anything is rushed at all. My husband and I agreed to marry after knowing each other for one week. We married about two years later. I hope they marry in late March. I was very touched about his remarks about missing his mother, I remember when he was born.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom