Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry is only 5th in the line of succession and soon to be 6th when William's and Kate's third child is born. In the end, even if the RF objected to Harry marrying Meghan, I suppose the Queen would feel it would not be worth making a big deal out of it and, in fact, it would probably be counterproductive to do so. Besides, if the marriage doesn't work out in the long run, the worst that could happen would be Harry and Meghan getting a divorce, which is now a pretty routine affair in the Royal Family.

He is still the son of the heir; and he and his wife are expected to represent the royal family. So, whether he is 3rd, 5th or 6th doesn't really matter IMO. Formerly, everyone in the line of succession needed the monarch's permission to marry; it was only recently changed to the first six - which I think is a little short-sighted given that those below number 6 might be representing the family if the heir (and/or heir of the heir) has a larger family - as they still would need representatives of the various generations.

If the queen truly thought that this would be a big mistake, it would be worth it to escalate things and 'find a solution'. However, as I said above, she allowed Charles to marry Camilla... so I really don't see the problem and am surprised that the issue is even raised by some.

Last edited:
Maybe i’m In the minority, but I truly dislike the Diana / Catherine engagement ring, i find it too much. I much prefer the one Harry gave Meghan, or the one the Queen received from Prince Philip.
I do dislike the gold band, I feel white gold or platinum would have worked better.
I love her coat.

My day has been a shitty one (my cat is has cancer and isn’t currently hospitalized) so a shine of something happy.
I’m happy for them, and also a bit jealous.

Prayers for your loved one, hope you have your own happy news very soon :flowers:

I totally agree with you - I always thought that there was such a dominant thinking when seeing that ring - Meghan's ring has such thought behind it (I do agree that so does Catherine's) and is also a lot more colour neutral for wearing with any colour!!

I have a three diamond ring (obviously on a lot smaller size) and totally agree with this design ;) I am more platinum type person but yellow gold is very traditional and from what I have seen, she does seem to wear a lot of yellow gold rather than more on the silver line (obviously I'm prepared to be proved wrong).

I'm so excited about Meghan's coat - I have one in a light camel color. LOVE that choice of coat for her - it looked so gorgeous in the garden that Diana loved so much.

I love the ring too.

I cannot WAIT for this wedding!

Now we can move on from the endless discussions whetever or not when, how and what she'll do career wise.

But congrats to them! Unsurprisingly, she was more of a natural in front of the camera than him.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen is a non judgmental person, i guess thanks to her deep religious beliefs. But i do think she had higher expectations for William's bride than Harry's ...

That is probably true though for most people who married European royal heirs in recent years. Mette-Marit, Letizia Ortiz and Daniel Westling were certainly not the type of brides/groom who were expected for Haakon, Felipe and Victoria, and even Mary Donaldson or Máxima Zorreguieta were unconventional choices to a certain extent.

Kate Middleton, on the plus side, was actually a "safe choice" in comparison as she was an upper-middle-class, all-English, well-educated girl with an uncomplicated family background, and who had known and dated William for a long time. Meghan, at least at first sight, is a far more risky choice, but, as I said, I don't think the Firm cares too much because of Harry's relatively low position in the line of succession.

What could she do? Forbid them to marry and risk another feud? I know HM is a loving grandparent wanting their grandchildren to be happy, but I´m sure she´s not too fond about Harry marrying this divorced american actress/ soapstar. But she might be too discreet to say...

After seeing the marriages of three of her four children tank, I am quite sure the Queen is very happy to see her grandchildren marrying loving partners. She has seen what can happen when a marriage is forced to fit the norms or expecations... i.e. a virgin bride, a second choice, etc.

I think that her grandchildren thus far have made quite good choices. Peter & Autumn, William & Catherine, Zara and Mike and now Harry and Meghan... All seem to be loving, mutually respectful relationships. I would venture to say that viewing their successful partnerships, and the effect it has had of helping forget the disastrous 90s, has been one of the biggest joys of the Queen's later years.

as I said, I don't think the Firm cares too much because of Harry's relatively low position in the line of succession.

Did you have the same opinion when the engagement between Edward and Sophie was announced; that it didn't really matter who he married as Edward had a relatively low position (even lower: 7th)? And would you still say that it was kind of irrelevant whom he married? I know that initially the thought was that they wouldn't become full-time royals but in hindsight, that didn't work out that well..

And sorry for dragging this discussion on :flowers:

I'm so excited about Meghan's coat - I have one in a light camel color. LOVE that choice of coat for her - it looked so gorgeous in the garden that Diana loved so much.

I love the ring too.

I cannot WAIT for this wedding!

Yes, now that you say that, it brings even more home to me the deep significance of Meghan wearing the white coat in Diana's white garden that she loved so much. And also Meghan wearing the ring that Prince Harry designed using a stone from Botswana which is close to his heart, with some of the gems owned by the mother he so dearly loved and lost. With Meghan, it seems that Prince Harry's heart has been healed and strengthened in so many ways. It seems like fate.

Forgive me if it's been posted, but does anyone know if the interview will be streamed live in the U.S.? (Maybe SkyNews)? Thanks in advance!!

Did you have the same opinion when the engagement between Edward and Sophie was announced; that it didn't really matter who he married as Edward had a relatively low position (even lower: 7th)? And would you still say that it was kind of irrelevant whom he married? I know that initially the thought was that they wouldn't become full-time royals but in hindsight, that didn't work out that well..

And sorry for dragging this discussion on :flowers:

I didn't follow the Royal Family so closely back then, but Sophie seems to me to be a far less controversial/ more conventional bride than Meghan. In fact, I can't think of any plausible reason why the Queen or anybody else in the RF would have objected to Edward marrying Sophie, regardless of his position in the line of succession.

And if Meghan turns out to be a hard worker and a real acquisition to the BRF, Mbruno, will you be prepared to come on this forum in a few years and admit you got it wrong?

Forgive me if it's been posted, but does anyone know if the interview will be streamed live in the U.S.? (Maybe SkyNews)? Thanks in advance!!

You can watch the interview on BBC World News channel and on Sky News Live on YouTube here in the US.

And if Meghan turns out to be a hard worker and a real acquisition to the BRF, Mbruno, will you be prepared to come on this forum in a few years and admit you got it wrong?

I never said she would not be what you've just described. Sometimes, it may seem that my posts come across as anti-Meghan, but that is not the case. I am just pointing out that she is unconventional and risky to a certain extent, which doesn't mean I think she will flop or that I want that to happen. On the other hand, I won't join the Meghan fan club in this forum who claims she is perfect and can do no wrong. Honestly, I am trying to be impartial and objective here.

PS: Keep also in mind that several unconventional royal brides/grooms turned out to be hard workers and assets for the RFs they married into, like Daniel or Sofia; others like Mette-Marit or Letizia seem to be still somewhat divisive .

Last edited:
I saw in on CNN this morning and I squealed!! The haters on DM and elsewhere must be having a meltdown now, like their nasty comments were going to stop this. Congratulations to Harry and Meghan��. Can't wait for the interview ...and the ring.

the comments are in absolute shambles over there. all these comments about how the BRF needs to be disillusioned as it is no longer necessary....they need a republic blah blah. it is HILARIOUS.

i have a cup ready to collect and drink all their tears.

I didn't follow the Royal Family so closely back then, but Sophie seems to me to be a far less controversial/ more conventional bride than Meghan. In fact, I can't think of any plausible reason why the Queen or anybody else in the RF would have objected to Edward marrying Sophie, regardless of his position in the line of succession.

My question was about your comment about Harry being only 5th in line to the throne and therefore not important enough to not approve the marriage. Not about whether Sophie was controversial or conventional; just whether it would matter whether she was.

And as I said previously, the queen approved Camilla as a bride for the number 1 in line: she clearly was a risk to the monarchy (the BRF even figured that should tell everyone that she wouldn't become queen to avoid uproar) unlike Meghan.

Many grooms and brides are in some way or another 'unconventional'; however, I'd say that it depends on in what way they are unconventional whether it is a 'risky' move. Getting married just because someone ticks all the right boxes clearly is not the way to go as the BRF has found out the hard way. So, thanks for your clarification above.

Last edited:
Hot diggity dawg!! Its official! Its out there plain for all to see. Harry and Meghan will marry in the spring! And.... I slept through the announcement.

Its kind of neat to wake up and groggily just be thinking of a first cup of coffee and be greeted by the better half who just was beaming ear to ear as he informs me that H&M are engaged and hands me his cell phone with a text from my sis stating "how can you sleep??" Its amazing, its wonderful, its the stuff dreams are made of.

My first reacting watching the photocall was that impression that Meghan with Harry reminded me a lot of Victoria and Daniel on their wedding day. A very close couple with obvious displays of affection all around. This is a couple that know how they feel about each other and are not afraid to show it.

Finally too, our moderators get a good break. Many more threads opened up and things that before weren't "on topic" can be discussed and we're off and rolling up to the great event. It will be such a fun ride for all of us as we sit back and participate in the story that is Harry and Meghan.

I love the ring. Its relatively simple yet elegant and will look wonderful with the wedding band of Welsh gold that is the traditional British royal wedding ring. I'm laying my bet right here and now that Harry will also wear a wedding band with pride.

Now I need more coffee. I think its going to be a good news days from here on out. :D

@evolvingdoors: I can very much empathize with you as to what you are going through in the present. Its never easy to lose one of our own family members and hope this will comfort you in some small ways.

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com

I think that her grandchildren thus far have made quite good choices. Peter & Autumn, William & Catherine, Zara and Mike and now Harry and Meghan... All seem to be loving, mutually respectful relationships. I would venture to say that viewing their successful partnerships, and the effect it has had of helping forget the disastrous 90s, has been one of the biggest joys of the Queen's later years.

I never really thought about that, but you're spot on about HM's grandchildrens' choices. They all seem to be very successful relationships.

ALMOST TIME FOR THE INTERVIEW!!! This is so exciting! :lol:

Beautiful thing to see another royal couple get engaged during The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh’s 70th Wedding Anniversary year.

It must be very exciting for Charles to see his sons grown up and happy in their personal lives.

Diana is no longer here, but her sons has made sure her spirit remains with them as they move on with their lives. Both Catherine and Meghan have a piece of Diana on their hands. Incredible!

it does seem to me, like many pointed out, that standard were lower for harry's wife than for william's. a divorced woman, with an acting career, who isn't british or from a certain social background (such as autumn phillips)... i think those would be too many negatives for someone marrying william.

however, meghan seems like a fun, relaxed personality. a part of me thinks harry is the least comfortable of the brothers with the royal position so i guess meghan allows him to be more 'normal', if you will.

i am excited to hear their interview and getting to know them better. seems that end of the year is the time for royal engagement announcements! william and kate's happened late in 2010 too.

Any links to watch the interview live?

After seeing the marriages of three of her four children tank, I am quite sure the Queen is very happy to see her grandchildren marrying loving partners. She has seen what can happen when a marriage is forced to fit the norms or expecations... i.e. a virgin bride, a second choice, etc.

Absolutely! You have hit the nail on the head.
I must admit I've been a bit bored with all the discussions about this couple's pending engagement, but they do make such a beautiful pair!
And they do seem very much in love - I wish them all the very best for the future.

I never really thought about that, but you're spot on about HM's grandchildrens' choices. They all seem to be very successful relationships.

And it leaves only to wish the same ones for Duke of York's daughters.:flowers:

it does seem to me, like many pointed out, that standard were lower for harry's wife than for william's. a divorced woman, with an acting career, who isn't british or from a certain social background (such as autumn phillips)... i think those would be too many negatives for someone marrying william.

however, meghan seems like a fun, relaxed personality. a part of me thinks harry is the least comfortable of the brothers with the royal position so i guess meghan allows him to be more 'normal', if you will.

i am excited to hear their interview and getting to know them better. seems that end of the year is the time for royal engagement announcements! william and kate's happened late in 2010 too.

The former mistress (who at that time was also married!) of his father is the current princess of Wales (known as the duchess of Cornwall) - so, if a divorced woman who was sleeping with the prince of wales when he was married is good enough for the future king (at least from a government perspective - the church did have issues(!)); a divorced American actress/humanitarian who counts the prime minister of Canada among her friends would have been fine for another future king.

Beautiful thing to see another royal couple get engaged during The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh’s 70th Wedding Anniversary year.

Another? Which was the first one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom