The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-17-2018, 04:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Perhaps so for you but the spin of the article is intriguing since it makes Meghan out to be someone of lesser monetary status (and so for many people by inference 'dangerous', a gold digger, etc). Fact is, Meghan's income potential is far greater than Harry's. JMO.
True. Meghan actually had training and a successful career of many years to fall back on, should she need to support herself.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I remember someone saying here that the British Royal Family is covered by other legal provisions when it comes to custody of the children, but I don't know exactly what those provisions are.
Marlene Koenig addressed this on her blog and references legislation passed in 1717 and 1772 but doesn't provide additional details.

Royal Musings: Custody of royal grandchildren

Old 03-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I remember someone saying here that the British Royal Family is covered by other legal provisions when it comes to custody of the children, but I don't know exactly what those provisions are.
The custody of children is not a problem in the UK because the monarch has legal custody of their grandchildren, not their parents. That’s why there was no custody fight when the Wales marriage fell apart. The Queen had custody of William and Harry, not Charles or Diana.
Should William or Harry divorce, again no custody issue wold happen, because Charles, as king, would have legal custody of his grandchildren.
Wonder how Meghan reacted when she was told this?

Old 03-17-2018, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
The custody of children is not a problem in the UK because the monarch has legal custody of their grandchildren, not their parents. Thatís why there was no custody fight when the Wales marriage fell apart. The Queen had custody of William and Harry, not Charles or Diana.

Should William or Harry divorce, again no custody issue wold happen, because Charles would have legal custody of his grandchildren.

I don't think she (or Harry) plan on divorcing.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I don't think she (or Harry) plan on divorcing.
I can’t say I’ve ever met a couple who did plan to divorce before getting married. But Meghan, of all people, is aware marriages fail and people do indeed get divorced.
For me, the custody of my possible children would be something I’d want to know before getting married.

I’m sure we’re all aware this is a hypothetical discussion.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I can’t say I’ve ever met a couple who did plan to divorce before getting married. But Meghan, of all people, is aware marriages fail and people do indeed get divorced.

For me, the custody of my possible children would be something I’d want to know before getting married.

I’m sure we’re all aware this is a hypothetical discussion.
And keeping it in the hypothetical I think Meghan and Harry have made a unique bond and a unique determination about their lives. I look forward to them always being surprising.

I also think that neither Harry nor Charles would ever deny Meghan her children, regardless of 'laws', and she knows that. She trusts Harry that far. Also, I don't think the British monarchy would do that. They didn't do that to Diana, nor to Sarah, they won't do it to Meghan should that ever happen. JMO.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Right she has some assurance they will play fair regardless if something happens between each other.

LaRae
Old 03-17-2018, 05:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
And keeping it in the hypothetical I think Meghan and Harry have made a unique bond and a unique determination about their lives. I look forward to them always being surprising.

I also think that neither Harry nor Charles would ever deny Meghan her children, regardless of 'laws', and she knows that. She trusts Harry that far. Also, I don't think the British monarchy would do that. They didn't do that to Diana, nor to Sarah, they won't do it to Meghan should that ever happen. JMO.
Iím not sure where you got the idea I thought they would deny Meghan her kids. I was responding with legal facts.
I have no doubt that an equitable custody arrangement would be made, as was the case with the Wales and York children and I assume Anneís kids as well.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:28 PM
Courtier

I agree, it was only an issue in Charles and Diana's divorce because of the circumstances. To say that it was bitter and acrimonious would be an understatement. I'd be surprised if Harry and Meghan ever found themselves in the same situation. Even the circumstances surrounding their marriage are different (no need for Harry to find a virginal aristocrat, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
I agree, it was only an issue in Charles and Diana's divorce because of the circumstances. To say that it was bitter and acrimonious would be an understatement. I'd be surprised if Harry and Meghan ever found themselves in the same situation. Even the circumstances surrounding their marriage are different (no need for Harry to find a virginal aristocrat, etc.).
To clarify, I was responding to Lady Nimue's post #1345.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Many divorces are bitter and acrimonious.. and the simple truth is that the queen or monarch would have custody of senior royal children like Will's and Harry's.. so if Meghan wanted tehm to live in the US ful time, she would lose...
Old 03-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Courtier

Yes, that's true but Harry would still have some say in any custody arrangements if he were plain Mr. Harry Mountbatten-Windsor. Expecting the children to live full-time in the U.S. when their father lives in the UK might be seen as reasonable. So Meghan might lose anyway. There's always that risk when people from two different countries marry.

I still can't see Harry and Meghan divorcing as acrimoniously as Harry's parents for the simple fact that their marriage is starting off on a much stronger foundation. Let's face it, whether you blame Camilla or the simple fact that they were incompatible, Charles and Diana's marriage was doomed almost from the start. If Harry and Meghan were to divorce I think they would be more likely to reach a custody agreement they'd both be happy with.

But this is all hypothetical and who knows, maybe I'll be proven wrong.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The custody of children is not a problem in the UK because the monarch has legal custody of their grandchildren, not their parents. That’s why there was no custody fight when the Wales marriage fell apart. The Queen had custody of William and Harry, not Charles or Diana.
Should William or Harry divorce, again no custody issue wold happen, because Charles would have legal custody of his grandchildren.

And that's exactly how it should be. No matter how we put it, children who happen to be in the direct line to the throne are not like any other children.

I wouldn't be comfortable with the second or third heir to the throne being used as a bargaining chip in a divorce fight (which happens so often).

Does Charles have legal custody of his grandchildren? I thought that belongs to the monarch, not the grandparent?
Old 03-17-2018, 09:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
Does Charles have legal custody of his grandchildren? I thought that belongs to the monarch, not the grandparent?
Not now, I meant when he is king.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
A Britisher claimed to me that "trusty and well-beloved" is terminology only intended to be traditionally used for UK or Commonwealth citizens. I would like to find out if that's true. If true, it seems weird.

I thought the Queen was referencing Kate in that way because she and Prince Philip had actually known Kate for many years, as opposed to their shorter time knowing Meghan. And I thought the Queen used "My" instead of "Our," when referencing Harry, because Prince Philip has retired from public life, and this is an official public document.

Can anyone with actual knowledge, please clarify?
Wbenson did a fantastic job covering the "trusty and well beloved" (though I strongly suspect it would not be applied to citizens of Commonwealth republics, just the Queen's realms that are Commonwealth contries), however I don't think anyone's addressed the singular/plural question.

It does not have anything to do with Philip or his retirement; the official Instrument of Consent merely uses the Royal We, whereas the declaration to the privy council uses the singular pronoun. When the Queen, in a formal document, says "We", she is referring always to herself as Queen, not to herself and Philip.

FWIW, it's consistent through all of the declarations of consent that they start with "I declare My Consent":

As an aside, Juliet, Edward, Louise, and Mark were all referred to merely as the Queen's "cousin", with no superlatives, so it wasn't just Marina Mowatt.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:03 PM

I noticed a difference in the privy council meeting notes. For Will and Kate's, she just had the declaration of consent, but for Harry and Meghan's it looks like she's also saying "this is what I want the Instrument of Consent to say".