Duties, Roles and Royal Training of the Princes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen no problem with William's behavior. So what he likes to go to clubs and have a few. Who doesn't at 25.

And I agree. But if he does that he has to expect two things. The first is criticism of his behaviour and that that behaviour isn't befitting of a Prince, especially one who's destined to be King. The second is that when he complains, his complaints are going to be taken seriously and the full context considered. And in the case of him saying that it was wrong for the press to mob him during his mother's inquest, he has to expect that people will and do find it distasteful and actually, quite stomach turning, to see both William and Harry getting boozed up at Boujis whilst the inquest is taking place. If William wants to go to clubs then that's up to him but he can't just expect good press and that's what he seems to want. He's coming across as spoilt, brattish, pompous and pathetic - and that's not the image he wants but it's the image he's slowly building. Not a glowing recommendation for Kingship.

Prince William did not "ask" for privacy. They merely want the paparrazzi to adhere to the section of the PCC code which expressly prohibits being pursued after being asked to desist. I do not think it is unreasonable for the press to adhere to a code IT created.

In between the righteous indignation and law of the jungle philosophy, I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Also, both William and Harry DO HAVE JOBS. They are in the military, doing their civic duty and serving their country. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe William has been living off of this salaray, his father's duckets, and since he turned 25 his inheritance from his mother. So by that reasoning no public person is supporting him YET and can basically shove their "I have a right to see William brush his teeth because I pay for his lifestyle." You pay for nothing yet. And Kate Middleton is a PRIVATE CITIZEN and again her lifestyle is her business. Not yours.

Finally both princes are young and odds on that Wiliam will not take the throne until he has lost all of his hair and is soft in his midsection. Plenty of time for clubbing, growing tired of clubbing, marrying, and settling down. I realize that MANY of the people shouting about William's behavior aren't even as old as he is and hence have no perception of age and time, so they have NO CLUE that the person you are at 25 is wholly different from the person you WILL BE at 45, 55, and 65. This past weekend I attended a high school class reunion. Let's just say it's been a few years since I graduated and everything changes in that span. Someone 21 or 25 or 35 for that matter has no idea. William still has plenty of time to grow into his future role.

Nevertheless, if something awful happens and William takes the throne earlier, I belive he has a good head on his shoulders and will buck up. Ditto for Kate if she is his choice for consort.
Great post :flowers: - I can vaguely remember being 25. When you get to 55+, you realise that everyone should have the chance to enjoy themselves - you are after all, a very long time dead!:ROFLMAO:

My remarks are not directed at any one person personally.

Prince William did not "ask" for privacy. They merely want the paparrazzi to adhere to the section of the PCC code which expressly prohibits being pursued after being asked to desist. I do not think it is unreasonable for the press to adhere to a code IT created.

In between the righteous indignation and law of the jungle philosophy, I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Also, both William and Harry DO HAVE JOBS. They are in the military, doing their civic duty and serving their country. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe William has been living off of this salaray, his father's duckets, and since he turned 25 his inheritance from his mother. So by that reasoning no public person is supporting him YET and can basically shove their "I have a right to see William brush his teeth because I pay for his lifestyle." You pay for nothing yet. And Kate Middleton is a PRIVATE CITIZEN and again her lifestyle is her business. Not yours.

Finally both princes are young and odds on that Wiliam will not take the throne until he has lost all of his hair and is soft in his midsection. Plenty of time for clubbing, growing tired of clubbing, marrying, and settling down. I realize that MANY of the people shouting about William's behavior aren't even as old as he is and hence have no perception of age and time, so they have NO CLUE that the person you are at 25 is wholly different from the person you WILL BE at 45, 55, and 65. This past weekend I attended a high school class reunion. Let's just say it's been a few years since I graduated and everything changes in that span. Someone 21 or 25 or 35 for that matter has no idea. William still has plenty of time to grow into his future role.

Nevertheless, if something awful happens and William takes the throne earlier, I belive he has a good head on his shoulders and will buck up. Ditto for Kate if she is his choice for consort.

Well, firstly, I don't call training in the army a job. It is for normal people because they'll go on to see active service but in William and Harry's case it's a matter of earning the right to wear a pretty uniform rather than do any real fighting. So if they are recieving an army salary something is seriously wrong because I don't see what they do to warrant it. Secondly, you say William's been living off of his father's assets - well the British people provided those and so everything William has had, we've payed for. Therefore, I'm entitled to a certain professionalism in my Royal Family and I don't get it from William. What you seem to miss is this; what he does now will not go away and won't be forgotten. Pictures of him acting the turd won't dissapear because of a suddent deferential air that sweeps over Britain one morning. If he becomes King, his old image doesn't just leave him. Look at Albert of Monaco for an example. William wants only good press, privacy, complimentary headlines, zero interest in who he marries and a celebrity lifestyle that he doesn't pay for and that the public aren't allowed to see. Well, he isn't going to have that because say what you like about the British, we're not stupid. We know when we're being taken for mugs and if William thinks he's got one over on us all and has the ability to snap his fingers and for everyone to join in a great show of appreciation for him, he better think again.

Kate is my business as I've said before. She'll be my future Queen Consort if she does marry him and I think I have a right to see her occassionally. Now, the press have been real bitches to them both but it's William who's to blame. Instead of a cosy weekend at Sandringham, he takes her to nightclubs where he knows they'll be photographed. Kate works hard, she has a real job, she's a sweet girl from what I can tell and I think she'd be an asset to Britain - but why she'd want to marry an attention seeking, no hoper of a Prince is beyond me. She deserves better, the Royal Family deserves better and quite frankly, the British tax payer deserves better. I'm all for sowing wild oats but if he's going to party, then he has to realise that it comes with the tag of "Party Prince" and you can't throw a hissy fit and complain when that happens.

Oh, that's just being 'normal', he sounds like many 25 year olds!:D

Well yes. Quite true. But he's the only 25 year old who should be in training to be King isn't he?

But what you call training really is irrelevant. He is in the army and he is drawing a paycheck. He is serving his country whether or not he is ducking bullets.

So what if he likes to toss back a few on his down time. He's allowed.

And it is no more William's fault that the press like to chase him and his girlfriend down the road for a couple of pictures to turn a buck than it was Diana's fault that the press stood over her snapping away as she lay dying in the street. It IS the fault of those who clamor for "pics!" and for whom the press harrass.

Last edited:
Is he? By running around in a field and bayonetting sacks? Come to that, his 'paycheck' is actually payed for by the British people. We pay taxes to upkeep the army surely, so we're paying his salary. I've said time and time again, I don't have a problem with him drinking when he wants to, what I do object to is his complaining that the press photograph him when he goes out to nightclubs where the press always camp out. It is his fault because he goes to these places. Go somewhere else for goodness sake. And I don't see anyone clamouring for pics, I know the majority really don't care. But we do care when he thinks he's above bad press because he isn't. The press aren't harrassing William, he's going to places they've always been - doesn't take a genius to work out the solution. His mother did the same thing, called in a few paps and then complained about the mob the press formed. If you can't stand the heat, don't set yourself up for the flashbulbs.

Also, both William and Harry DO HAVE JOBS. They are in the military, doing their civic duty and serving their country.

Are they? At least Harry is not allowed to serve his country and until now the only thing these two young men have done is providing a bad image for the army by bingedrinking and invading clubs when being off duty. I wonder what happened to other servicemen who not happen to be Mr Wales when ridiculing army service the same way the princes usually do.

And Kate Middleton is a PRIVATE CITIZEN and again her lifestyle is her business. Not yours.

That's the theory. In practice, any girl who dates the future King of GB will be pursued by the media. William should know better since his late mother was one of the people who thought they could control the media or use them one-way for their own purposes. You simply can't call them to show up and take pictures when you pose on a yacht with your lover and wear the most fashionable bathing suit but on other occasions expect them to stay away? This was a fundamental error Diana made and it's pathetic to blame the paparazzi for the circumstances surrounding her death.

Are they? At least Harry is not allowed to serve his country and until now the only thing these two young men have done is providing a bad image for the army by bingedrinking and invading clubs when being off duty. I wonder what happened to other servicemen who not happen to be Mr Wales when ridiculing army service the same way the princes usually do.

Bingedrinking and invading clubs when being off duty is pretty normal for the military. What I'm surprised at is that someone in Harry's group thinks more of selling pictures to a tabloid than keeping the group safe by keeping the bingefests secret. This tells you a little bit about the esprit de corps of the military now (it seriously appears to be lacking) and the ease at which others can get off for the same behavior. If the behavior in and of itself is so shocking Harry wouldn't be the only one getting into trouble. But apparently he is, so that tells you about the standards of acceptable behavior these days.

I think the pictures of Harry and friends are disgusting but the fact that people are only complaining about Harry's behavior tells me public indignation is a little bit hollow.

That's the theory. In practice, any girl who dates the future King of GB will be pursued by the media. William should know better since his late mother was one of the people who thought they could control the media or use them one-way for their own purposes. You simply can't call them to show up and take pictures when you pose on a yacht with your lover and wear the most fashionable bathing suit but on other occasions expect them to stay away? This was a fundamental error Diana made and it's pathetic to blame the paparazzi for the circumstances surrounding her death.

You may have a point there. William may be taking the worst routes of both his mother and father when dealing with the press. In the end he is a public person and he has to come to grips with that whatever his individual practices are.

However I disagree with you that the paparazzi should not be blamed for Diana's death. They weren't directly responsible because Diana's car made the choice of trying to outrun them but they were responsible for creating an atmosphere which could be dangerous not only to Diana but to themselves and innocent bystanders. Regularly engaging any celebrity in a highspeed chase for whatever the reason is going to create extreme danger for everyone around. Its a dangerous and very foolhardy practice and I imagine than more than one papparazzo has hung up his camera after almost getting killed in one of those chases having decided that he's had enough excitement for awhile.

Bingedrinking and invading clubs when being off duty is pretty normal for the military. What I'm surprised at is that someone in Harry's group thinks more of selling pictures to a tabloid than keeping the group safe by keeping the bingefests secret. This tells you a little bit about the esprit de corps of the military now (it seriously appears to be lacking) and the ease at which others can get off for the same behavior. If the behavior in and of itself is so shocking Harry wouldn't be the only one getting into trouble. But apparently he is, so that tells you about the standards of acceptable behavior these days.

I agree but it's a disgrace. Harry went on a binge tour the same weekend several servicemen died on duty. I wonder why the british public only needs two seconds to find out that this is not appropriate behaviour (even for non-royals!) but first thing Harry can think of is accusing the media of mounting a campaign against him.

However I disagree with you that the paparazzi should not be blamed for Diana's death. They weren't directly responsible because Diana's car made the choice of trying to outrun them but they were responsible for creating an atmosphere which could be dangerous not only to Diana but to themselves and innocent bystanders. Regularly engaging any celebrity in a highspeed chase for whatever the reason is going to create extreme danger for everyone around. Its a dangerous and very foolhardy practice and I imagine than more than one papparazzo has hung up his camera after almost getting killed in one of those chases having decided that he's had enough excitement for awhile.

Of course I agree that anything that endangers people is wrong but there are always two sides of the story. In Diana's case the paparazzi were around but not behind the car when it crashed and the accident had more to do with a drunken driver who thought he could show these guys how fast his car can go after obviously having tipped the paparazzis off when and from where they would depart; Diana thought that a princess does not need a safety belt and Dodi's bodyguard obviously did not feel responsible for her or Dodi, his boss. There are so many things that went wrong that night, the paparazzi chase is just one issues among others.

Bumping this thread since it seems to be a current topic at the moment.

Its a good topic. My feeling is that as long as the Queen is still alive, their limited roles in public events and chairty is ok. Her Majesty has four children to help represent her and I think that the princes should be devoted to their military careers. I think as they get older they should take on more duties, and especially when Charles becomes king, they'll be more responsible for doing things on behalf of their father.

William has done everything expected of him and more. He has an undergraduate degree. How many of his uncles, aunts can say the same? He then enrolled and excelled in a prestigous military academy, and has now begun his tour of all branches of the military, as he should as future commander of these forces. He is then expected to take a diplomatic assignment, again I assume as preparation for his future role.

He has performed well in all of his endeavors thus far, done exactly what is expected and probably has been mapped out for him. I have every expectation that he will continue to do so when it comes time to assume his ceremonial duties.

He seems to be a very fine young man, and I have great hopes for and expectations of his future.

hmm, well I have to agree with rebafan81 and Luv2Cruise. I think that whilst some people might like to see William and Harry doing more (and perhaps it's good for their work ethic (public image) to be showing more responsibility at their age), at the same time, all the important royal duties are already being very capably handled by the Queen, her husband and children, leaving very little if anything to be done by Prince William and Harry (who probably only have to do them because they're in immediate line to the throne after their father).

I can also see that if they hold back on Prince William's training and experience in doing royal duties (until Prince Charles' reign) and Prince Charles has a short reign, there would, in fact, be very little time for Prince William to get all the training and experience (related to those royal duties) needed to fulfill the future role of King.

I think, who ever's involved with planning these boys careers as royalty, have to conduct a balancing act because as much as they may want the boys to get as much experience as possible from early on, they would not want to take away too much responsibility from their father, for example, so as to avoid a situation where the boys are doing just as much or more than their father. That would look bad. It would look like the Queen plans to overlook Charles and give the crown directly to William when she steps down.

However, if, theoretically, something were to happen to Charles to prevent him from carrying out his royal duties (grave illness or, God forbid, death) before the Queen steps down, then and only then, I would expect to see a situation where William takes on more responsibilities than his father.

Last edited:
Too true. Right now there are no shortages of Windsors to carry on the official functions. When Charles becomes king, William and his wife will take over Charles and Camilla's duties, Harry, his wife, Beatrice and Eugenie will take over the duties of Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie. This will enable Charles' siblings to take over the duties of the Kents and Gloucesters giving them a well deserved retirement. There is no immediate need for William and Harry to have full duty schedules now. To compare William to his grandmother at the same age is unfair as the circumstances were very different. Let them be young while they can.

Bingedrinking and invading clubs when being off duty is pretty normal for the military. What I'm surprised at is that someone in Harry's group thinks more of selling pictures to a tabloid than keeping the group safe by keeping the bingefests secret. This tells you a little bit about the esprit de corps of the military now (it seriously appears to be lacking) and the ease at which others can get off for the same behavior.
You have always had the one person within the team/unit prepared to abuse the friendship, to earn some money. It's a pity Harry has not yet learned how to recognise them.:flowers:

William's displaying an heir of stupidity - Top Stories - News - Mirror.co.uk

I agree but it's a disgrace. Harry went on a binge tour the same weekend several servicemen died on duty. I wonder why the british public only needs two seconds to find out that this is not appropriate behaviour (even for non-royals!) but first thing Harry can think of is accusing the media of mounting a campaign against him.
1000's of servicemen and women were also out clubbing/drinking, did we hear anything negative about them - no, of course not. Just because you are in the services doesn't mean you stay at home/in barracks when other members of the forces or your unit are in a war zone.
It's called getting on with your life! :bang:

Last edited:
1000's of servicemen and women were also out clubbing/drinking, did we here anything negative about them - no, of course not. Just because you are in the services doesn't mean you stay at home/in barracks when other members of the forces or your unit are in a war zone.
It's called getting on with your life! :bang:

Is this the message a member of the Royal Family should send out? Get on with your life? I expect more discretion from a prince who happens to be in the army and a suitable behaviour when appearing in public, on duty or not.

This will enable Charles' siblings to take over the duties of the Kents and Gloucesters giving them a well deserved retirement.

:verysad: I do wish the Duke & Duchess of Gloucester would live forever. It'll be like the end of an era when they and the Kents are gone. Their descendents will blend obscurely into the aristocracy. The Wessexes & Yorks will be the Neo "minor royals" I suppose. But I'm in no rush for the handover. I like the royal family as it now.

Last edited:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/duties-roles-princes-9753.html

wow...this article both annoyed me and had some good points. the media can find every excuse in the book why they should be allowed to continue to encourage photographers to harass their subjects. the worst part was his "point" about the danger of the car chase. the author seems to think that because william and catherine were in a car with a trained driver that no one was in danger...what about other cars and pedestrians? he also says that "I presume those photographers who allegedly jumped red lights and broke speed limits will be dealt with by the traffic police"....is he stupid or just naive? yes i agree that perhaps william should have given some thought as to whether or not he and catherine should appear in public together at the same time that the inquest into his mother's death is going but come on...when the paps chase them in that manner it'll never be a good time to go in public together. the other good point was that whether or not william likes it, he's going to have to put some thought and planning into outtings like this...leave by the back door, don't use a vehicle that will draw attention...don't go out the door together or if you do, pose for a picture and then at least you can say that you gave the paps a chance and they can't complain that you never cooperate...use a vehicle with darkly tinted windows.

I agree with the article in it's entirety. He makes a first class point and I especially loved the; "[Kate and her sister] have been labelled the Wisteria Sisters - decorative, fragrant and famously good climbers". Fabulous.

Is this the message a member of the Royal Family should send out? Get on with your life? I expect more discretion from a prince who happens to be in the army and a suitable behaviour when appearing in public, on duty or not.

Do you think that past princes were more discreet than William or do you think the press was less inclined to run the more scandalous stories when it came to royals?

I remember reading about Prince Philip and his friends partying very hardy in the 50s in clubs when he was married and considerably older than William or Harry and there were some rumours of an affair but the British papers refused to print any of it.

Is this the message a member of the Royal Family should send out? Get on with your life?
Most definitely, what do you seriously want him to do, sit on his own in the barracks whilst wearing his horse hair shirt? :rolleyes:

If these young men are not entitled to some privacy, then what are we becoming? Should we allow the photographers on the training exercises, after all, they might see some real action hero stuff. Should we allow them into every single aspect of William and Catherines lives? Or should we expect the media to show some decency and allow them to actually have a life? If the country was to become a republic, can we hope the media would compensate them for the 'stolen' years.

Last edited:
Do you think that past princes were more discreet than William or do you think the press was less inclined to run the more scandalous stories when it came to royals?

I remember reading about Prince Philip and his friends partying very hardy in the 50s in clubs when he was married and considerably older than William or Harry and there were some rumours of an affair but the British papers refused to print any of it.

You have a point here ysbel. I think the latter - the press was less inclined because the public was not ready for those stories. A totally different climate within society. Times have changed and the princes (incl Charles) have to respond to that because there is no turning back. Today's society obviously not only tolerates but asks for these stories and there is the choice to either make a fool out of yourself or show some decent behaviour. If you don't want your picture to be taken when you are drunk and stumble out of a club, with or without girlfried, you better stay at home. That's what I don't like about Kate: Wills is a complete package that you either take or leave. You can't have the nice parts and reject the not so nice ones and it's pathetic to complain about the paparazzi. If she can't take it she should leave him as this is just the beginning.

lol i found that label funny too
this behavior in my mind is hubristic and destructive (it killed JFKJR)
"hubris denotes overconfident pride and arrogance; it is often associated with a lack of knowledge, interest in, and exploration of history, combined with a lack of humility."
Hubris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i see nothing wrong in young people partying (i did more than my share) but especially this week it seems unthinking and stupid to be photographed sloshed coming out of a club and then complaining when it seems they dared and egged on the paps showing up and coming out the front door when they knew they would be snapping at their heels (literally)

Most definitely, what do you seriously want him to do, sit on his own in the barracks whilst wearing his horse hair shirt? :rolleyes:

Does going out always mean to lose it? Does going to a pub always mean to grab some girls and binge till to stumble to the floor? Why always go to the extreme? Looking at their behaviour, both princes are begging the press to take their picture and of course they do and say thank you. If the princes want their perception in the media to change they have to change their habits first, not the other way around.

Charles was probably just as bad for his day, but the media had a little more respect. Most of the London clubs were very protective of their members.

Does going out always mean to lose it? Does going to a pub always mean to grab some girls and binge till to stumble to the floor? Why always go to the extreme? Looking at their behaviour, both princes are begging the press to take their picture and of course they do and say thank you. If the princes want their perception in the media to change they have to change their habits first, not the other way around.
How many times do you think either of them have been out for a drink and had no problem at all.

They are not begging to have their picture taken. Diana wasn't drunk but she was hounded to her death by the same sort of people who are now hounding William, Harry, Catherine and Chelsy. Diana wasn't drunk when she had to fight her way through a media scrum before she became engaged. The media are out of control and it is time they were regulated by other people.

I agree with the article in it's entirety. He makes a first class point and I especially loved the; "[Kate and her sister] have been labelled the Wisteria Sisters - decorative, fragrant and famously good climbers". Fabulous.

do you think the middleton girls are social climbers? i guess i kind of do think they are but aren't most people? the term "social climbers" always denotes something negative but i think most people, not all but most, would marry up if they had the chance.

I dont really care whether they're social climbers or not actually, I just think the name is fabulous. I'm one of those people who gets goose pimply when they about the Mitford Sisters - I just love the name. So whether it fits or not, I think the Wisteria Sisters is a very glam thing indeed. Faaaabulous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom