The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I'd like to see him taking on more charities, but I'd also like to see him going on official engagements with his grandmother and with his father. Surely it would be valuable for him to work with some of his more experienced relatives as he learns the ropes of full-time royal-hood.
Why should he need to shadow his grandmother or father? He's done some engagements on his own and seems to do just fine. He just needs to gain more experience.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:02 AM
Nobility

I never understood the fact that PANN is regarded as the hardest working royal- shouldnt that be the Prince of Wales?????/ working hard to cover the his kingdom?

I dont get it?

Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuedePhiladelphia View Post
I never understood the fact that PANN is regarded as the hardest working royal- shouldnt that be the Prince of Wales?????/ working hard to cover the his kingdom?

I dont get it?

Princess Anne has been regarded as the hardest working royal as she has, until last year, done more engagements than her siblings and from the late 90s onwards did more than her parents as well.

Last year, for the first time, Charles did more than Anne.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd255 View Post
Why should he need to shadow his grandmother or father? He's done some engagements on his own and seems to do just fine. He just needs to gain more experience.

In their teens Anne and Charles accompanied thier parents and learnt on the job.

Unfortunately William and Harry haven't really had that experience, which I think was a mistake considering their future.

I remember in 1970 both Anne and Charles visited Australia with their parents and watched and learnt and did what their parents did.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
In their teens Anne and Charles accompanied thier parents and learnt on the job.
Both William and Harry have already accompanied Charles at events. There isn't a great deal to learn is there. Walk about, shake hands, look interested and don't divulge any personal likes/dislikes/information. As a speaker, that is not something they could not learn any better from being there, as opposed to watching videos or taking lessons, as their mother did.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Id like to see them become CinCs of a few Regiments meet Foreign Royals and make more speeches
Old 10-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

What are CinCs? I'd like it if they would meet with other royals too.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd255 View Post
What are CinCs? I'd like it if they would meet with other royals too.
Commander In Chiefs
Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is kind of like being ushers at movies. None of them have an intrinisic value. They make no decisions, have no "real" responsibility and have a Commander in Chielf title. I like the boys, don't get me wrong, but the other stuff is just smoke and mirrors and always has been.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Commander In Chiefs
Thanks. I think most heads of state acquire this title. For certain monarchies I guess it's just a ceremonial title but I think William is too young and not in the position to receive it yet.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Colonel in Cheif actually
Old 10-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Colonel in Cheif actually
Whoops! My bad! Thinking like an American again.
HRH TPR has her own regiment. I think it would do William and Harry good to have theirs and take personal care of them.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Whoops! My bad! Thinking like an American again.
HRH TPR has her own regiment. I think it would do William and Harry good to have theirs and take personal care of them.

These are honoury positions of course and require as little or as much attention as the person chooses to give them, although most British royals are very good.

Some of the British regiments have foreign royals as their honoury colonel-in-chief as well.

One day both William and Harry will have these positions but tradition dictates that that won't happen while they are actually serving officers. Afterall the rank is 'colonel' and they are currently Lts so until they have left the military they can't concurrently hold the effective rank of Lt and the honoury rank of 'colonel' as there would even be a question of what position they use when in a mess etc - so until they leave the military honourary colonels-in-chief will have to be for other members of the family.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

FWIW, Prince Charles was made Honorary Colonel in Chief of the Royal Regiment of Wales in 1969, and Colonel of the Welsh Guards in 1975 at which time he was a junior naval officer. The rest of his Honorary military appointments weren't made till he had left the navy in 1976 though.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

I think we all need to remember that Prince Charles was and is the heir to the throne, so it is impossible to compare the public engagements that Charles carried out with those of either William or Harry at the same age.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Good point MARG.

What the BRF is facing now is the same thing that they faced during the time of Queen Victoria. Both the Queen Victoria, the heir (Edward VII) and the heir heirs (George V) are a alive, functioning and capable of handling duties.

In the past two generations you only had to worry about the generations of the Queen and the heir (Edward VII and George V), George V and Edward VIII/George VI and then George VI/Elizabeth II. The heirs of the 2nd generations were too young to take on public duties.

So its hard to compare Charles with William and Charles with Elizabeth IMO.

I hope this makes sense.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

What you say makes perfect sense, Zonk.

I don't draw a clear line between the heir and the heir's heir though. I see William as part of a continuum. Elizabeth is monarch now and Charles will be one day and then William will have his turn. And I also see William as only being one car accident or illness or sudden heart attack away from being heir; Charles could wake up tomorrow as King.

William is a grown man now, not a child, and in my opinion he should be ready to step into his father's shoes as heir tomorrow if needs be rather than his "heir" training being viewed as something that he has plenty of time to acquire because his grandmother is healthy and his great-grandmother lived to be over 100. Life's not that certain. For the same reason I think Harry should have a bit more "heir" training.

Just my opinion though.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
What you say makes perfect sense, Zonk.

I don't draw a clear line between the heir and the heir's heir though. I see William as part of a continuum. Elizabeth is monarch now and Charles will be one day and then William will have his turn. And I also see William as only being one car accident or illness or sudden heart attack away from being heir; Charles could wake up tomorrow as King.

William is a grown man now, not a child, and in my opinion he should be ready to step into his father's shoes as heir tomorrow if needs be rather than his "heir" training being viewed as something that he has plenty of time to acquire because his grandmother is healthy and his great-grandmother lived to be over 100. Life's not that certain. For the same reason I think Harry should have a bit more "heir" training.

Just my opinion though.

What do you think this 'heir' training should be?

Let's see - Charles finished school, went to uni, served in the military, started full time duties having been instructed in constitutional matters while at school and uni at the insistence of the Queen.

William finished school, went to uni, is serving in the military and has been instructed in constitutional matters while at school at the insistence of the Queen.

So for William to complete his 'heir' training up to the standard of his father he has to do full time royal duties and we know that that will happen but because he is two heart-beats away from the throne he has a bit more time than his father who was only one heart beat away.

Andrew finished school and went into the military (I am using Andrew because until he was 22 he was 2nd in line) where he served for many years before beginning full time royal duties.

Harry finished school and is currently in the military where I expect him to serve for another 20 years or so before retiring and becoming a full time working royal like his uncle. Add to that Harry has, at closest been 3rd from the throne unlike his uncle who was born 2nd in line.

It seems to me that William and Harry have had the same training and preparation as Charles and Andrew had in the same positions so they are being equally well trained as the generation before them, and they were trained by the Queen.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would like to have seen them doing more on the job training of the sort you mentioned in Post 84 above. I would also have liked to see William do more formal training at university level in subjects such as political science.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Actually I don't see the point. From the moment of birth their lives have been so highly publicised and politicised that they should both qualify for a masters in polysci!

There's nothing like learning at the coal-face or at the bosom! And William's been studying for how long?

I think both William and Harry consider their time in the Military as time off for "good behavior" knowing full well that they will, inevitably, be recalled to "Active Service"!

They are therefore making hay while the sun shines. Enjoying it all while it lasts.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, royal duties