Duke of Sussex: Official Visit to Zambia - November 26-27, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So just a two-day visit, without the Duchess of Sussex accompanying him.

Just a current event really.

The main engagements Harry will do during his two days in Zambia:

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal
As part of the visit The Duke will attend a @UKinZambia reception to celebrate UK-Zambia relations, and will visit Burma Barracks to attend an event commemorating WWI and WWII Zambian veterans.

In Zambia The Duke will attend events for The @QueensComTrust, of which he is President. The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust champions, funds and connects young leaders who are leading social purpose ventures around the world

The Duke will visit @BongoHive, Zambia’s first technology and innovation hub. The organisation provides a range of startup and tech programmes, workshops and events all focused on making Zambia Africa’s next hotbed of innovation.

This is a varied programme even if it is a brief visit. There will be informal meetings with local leaders and politicians as well. It's always a pleasure for me to see Harry on his engagements. He's such a people person and seems to connect with most people he meets.

The main engagements Harry will do during his two days in Zambia:

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal
As part of the visit The Duke will attend a @UKinZambia reception to celebrate UK-Zambia relations, and will visit Burma Barracks to attend an event commemorating WWI and WWII Zambian veterans.

In Zambia The Duke will attend events for The @QueensComTrust, of which he is President. The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust champions, funds and connects young leaders who are leading social purpose ventures around the world

The Duke will visit @BongoHive, Zambia’s first technology and innovation hub. The organisation provides a range of startup and tech programmes, workshops and events all focused on making Zambia Africa’s next hotbed of innovation.

Looks like a very brief trip. Going all that way, one would have thought a few more days and locations / engagements could have been added to the schedule.

:previous:

I expect a few more engagements will be announced - KP rarely lists all the engagements for an overseas visit in the first announcement. There's nothing on royal.gov.uk yet.

Otherwise I agree, two days in Zambia for four engagements? Wasteful.

Blame the Foreign Office then since he's travelling at their request. LOL!

Seriously though....he may visit the parks unofficially.

This is a trip undertaken at the request of ...etc etc. Sometimes talks with government ministers on various topics occur behind the scenes under the auspices of so-called Royal visits to various projects. There might be something like that going on during this visit.

When Harry came from the plane and was greeted by the official party, a nine year old girl presented him with a lovely bouquet of flowers. I remember him at an engagement years ago jokingly complaining that Kate got all the bouquets. Well, he can't complain this time!

It's evening there I think and a busy day tomorrow, so it's probably off to the hotel and a meal.

Zambia's High Commission in London has released a statement in relation to a newspaper article that was run by The Sun which stated that Meghan had pulled out of the Zambia trip due to the Zika Virus. However Zambia has never had a case of Zika.

I’m very glad Zambia’s High Commission’s office released this statement. False information should not be allowed to continue and be believed by its readers.

A UK paper lied about something? I am shocked. Gasp.

The Sun knew that this was a solo trip to Zambia by Harry. It was announced as such. But because the tabloids like to jab at Meghan at every possible opportunity it was given this so-dramatic twist!

Good for the Zambia High Commission! Calling these people out when they make up these stories is the right thing to do.

LaRae

The Duke of Sussex this afternoon arrived at Kenneth Kaunda International airport, Lusaka, and was received by the British High Commissioner to the Republic of Zambia (His Excellency Mr. Fergus Cochrane-Dyet).

His Royal Highness was received by the President of the Republic of Zambia at state house, Lusaka.

The Duke of Sussex, president, African parks, afterwards attended a meeting at state house with the president of the Republic of Zambia and Mr. Peter Fearnhead (Chief Executive Officer).

His Royal Highness this evening attended a reception given by the British High Commissioner to The Republic of Zambia at the residence in Lusaka.

Ok, so it seems that there is more to the schedule than initially announced?

As for the Zika thing, I saw that this morning, but wasn’t sure if it was appropriate to post here since it’s not really anything to do with the actual tour, but tabloids going overboard with their baseless gossip. But I’m glad the High Commissioner is calling it out.

Not sure whether arrivals and departures are going to be recorded in the CC for this mini-tour (I know yesterday' departure from Heathrow wasn't.) However I'm glad that this visit is going to be a busy one and I'm glad Harry's met the President for a chat and enjoyed the reception given by the British High Commissioner.

He's a bit of a rock star, this one. But he really gets it in this part of the world.

Not sure whether arrivals and departures are going to be recorded in the CC for this mini-tour (I know yesterday' departure from Heathrow wasn't.)

Yes, it was.

Court Circular 25th November:
The Duke of Sussex this evening departed from Heathrow Airport, London, for Zambia.
Ms Heather Wong is in attendance.

Loved the photos of Harry in Zambia so far - it's always great to see him with people and children, especially.

Prince Harry to facilitate elephant move from Botswana to Zambia | Skynews Africa

After the closed door meeting with the president of Zambia a spokesperson for the president revealed what they talked about in the meeting.

“Prince Harry told the president during closed-door talks that African Parks will help move between 500 and 1,000 elephants from Botswana into Zambia’s Kafue National Park,” Lungu’s spokesman Amos Chanda said.

“He said this should help boost Zambia’s tourism and create jobs, especially for the youth.”

Botswana has the highest population of elephants in Africa, while Zambia struggles to pull in the same crowds to its more rundown safari parks

The Duke of Sussex this morning attended a meeting commemorating veterans of world war one and world war two at Burma Barracks, Lusaka, Zambia.

His Royal Highness, president, The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust, later attended a presentation held by the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust, Lusaka, and met beneficiaries of Circus Zambia.

The Duke of Sussex this afternoon visited Bongohive technology and innovation hub, Thabo Mbeki road, Lusaka.

Getting caught up. I always love seeing Harry on tour, solo or with Meghan ;)

Great photos. Amazing welcome with the dancers. All the photos so far show such a driendly people. And such beautiful colors.

Always enjoy seeing Harry with kids. He is in his element :flowers:

Sad the commission had to set story straight. Papers do little research sadly. It was always a solo trip. Considering her pregnancy and just getting back a month ago from a 16 day tour, going to Africa for two days may have been too much. Hopefully she will get to accompany him in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom