Duke of Sussex, Current Events 29: July 2017 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Harry's interview with former president Barack Obama was really enjoyable. The two have great chemistry.

Prince Harry's interview with former president Barack Obama was really enjoyable. The two have great chemistry.

I did find it funny that he asked The Good Wife or Suits. First I'm surprised because at IG, they weren't engaged yet at that time (although, if you think back, Harry's likely already planning on proposing at that point). And Good Wife, Harry? Really? Wonder if he's watched it. :lol:

I feel like I have entered an alternate universe! The Guardian Editorial Board yesterday released this rather glowing "Guardian View" on Prince Harry.

Will wonders never cease!

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...nce-harry-the-monarchys-best-insurance-policy

Opinion
The Guardian view on Prince Harry: the monarchy’s best insurance policy

The Queen is 91. The subtle process of managing the inevitable transition in a way that embraces both the integrity of the crown and its capacity to change inched ahead on Wednesday when Prince Harry guest-edited the BBC’s Today programme. There was a time when this would have been unthinkable, and not only because it is not the sort of thing that either institution does. The auxiliary members of the royal family often have the greatest capacity to inflame public scepticism about monarchy, and Prince Harry once seemed determined to personify the entitlement and pointlessness that could have jeopardised the continuity of the crown. But now he is reinvented; he is on the way to establishing himself as the official interpreter of an ancient, archaic institution to the generations that are already distant in both time and culture from the world that sustains his grandmother.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Harry has been very impressive and many are starting to see the potential in the future of the monarchy. The Fab 4 will be watched more and more as they transition. I'm actually excited to see them grow and come into their own as senior royals.

What exactly does a guest editor do? Is it mainly doing interviews or are there other things as well?

What exactly does a guest editor do? Is it mainly doing interviews or are there other things as well?

They decide and create content, so yes conducting interviews and stuff but also deciding what will be covered by the hosts and such.

According to the hosts from yesterday, Harry was the most hands on guest editor they have had so it seems he was very central to the content and production of the program.

I just listened to Harry's guest editing interviews, and he was simply marvellous. The interview with Barack Obama was insightful, loved listening to it. And with Prince Charles it came across really warm and loving. I liked the little snippets about Meghan, interestingly already in June Harry included that Suits question. Speaks volumes, imho.

Harry is really charming, I hope he will have more opportunities like thus in the near future.

I just listened to Harry's guest editing interviews, and he was simply marvellous. The interview with Barack Obama was insightful, loved listening to it. And with Prince Charles it came across really warm and loving. I liked the little snippets about Meghan, interestingly already in June Harry included that Suits question. Speaks volumes, imho.

Harry is really charming, I hope he will have more opportunities like thus in the near future.

Yes he was excellent very professional.

I picked up that President Obama made sure he picked Suits in the quick questions. Very nice and funny.

I thought the interview was done at IG? Which would make it September. At that point, I think Harry already knew he was going to propose soon.

DAMIAN THOMPSON When did Harry the hellraiser turn into such a right-on bore?

“AT 9am on Wednesday, the familiar pips signalled the end of BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. And also, I’m sorry to say, the end of Prince Harry’s reputation as the most quirky and intriguing member of the Royal Family.

The naughty charm, the mickey-taking, that redhead streak of subversion — all the qualities we associated with Harry flew out of the window during his guest editorship of the flagship news show.”

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5228444/what-happened-harry-brain-dead-radio-4/

I picked up that President Obama made sure he picked Suits in the quick questions. Very nice and funny.

And Harry stuttered a little when he commented on that being a great choice. :lol:

Harry is being himself. I expect nothing more or nothing less from him. The day that Harry turns into a puppet controlled by the media, the establishment or other people, is the day we can mark down as the day Harry died. No one should go through life with the expectation that they should be anything other than who they are.

I like Harry just the way he is now. He's happy, he's involved and he has a gift of being able to enjoy wherever he is and mesh right in there with the rest of the people he's meeting. He's also probably got enough of a thick skin to realize that if other people don't like him and criticize him, that's their problem not his. :D

Reactions: JSH

I guess he wants to be a regular guy,just like us and all that stuff but in the same time he is realistic about the fact that the media and people in general are intrested in him because he is PRINCE Harry and not just an ordinary Harry. So I think as much as he wants to be "normal" he needs to keep the Prince in front of his name if he wants to raise awareness and try to make a difference.
I have some ideas about how we could make this world a better place but no paparazzi were standing outside my apartament the last time I checked-because I'm a simple Andrew not a Prince Andrew...
Of course people who are close to him get to appreciate him(or not) for who he really is-not just a title.

Comments about Obama being invited to the wedding have been moved to the Wedding thread. Comments about Brexit and the relationship between Trump and Obama have been deleted. Please remember that we do not allow politics to be discussed on the board.

I have a problem with Harry cozying up to a politician, any politician, regardless of party. As a royal, Prince Harry should not involve himself in matters that can be politicized. The royal family is supposed to be above politics.

If you mean Harry interviewing former President Obama there was nothing political about it. It was more to do with their mutual charitable endeavors. Barack Obama is no longer President, holds no office and is not running for any office. He is a private citizen.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSH
It is really dangerous to isolate BRF members like Harry by buying in to the narrative that they are different and that is why we watch them. They are not puppets, they are flesh and blood with aspirations and motivations. They are privileged, and the best of them are trying to use their privilege productively. Harry's interview related to charitable work. Obama is a former president with power that stems from his political office, but he is now using that power for humanitarian aims. As a member of the BRF Harry is entitled to find meaning in his life. Harry is finding what he is good at. It's a good thing.

Harry, while a seeming nice person and good with kids, is not the most intelligent person. His desire so much to be one of us while nice to see cannot actually happen. We come on here to read and comment and watch the royals from all countries because, in part, they are different from us and are supposed to be.

Harry is walking a delicate line with his behavior, that video of him and his grandmother, these radio interviews, and this rush to marry this person.

Call me out, yell at me, delete my posts on here, but outside here I am telling you they are laughing at him loudly and making very critical comments, and not in a good way.

Charles, Harry and William have made it quite clear where they are focused on, the left one.

Who are laughing and where? Who is this they? I've seen tons of praise for Harry and this guest editing gig. I've seen loads of praise for multiple engagements he's been part of, not the least for the engagement in his personal life. It seems that this 'they' simply aren't happy with anything Harry does, ever, be it his work as a royal, or his personal life, so I'd say he's at best leaving that criticism where it belongs, in the pile of opinions he can never change, so why even bother?

I don’t think Harry thinks of himself as one of us in every sense. He’s talked about being aware that he is born into this great previlege and having this amazing platform to make change. That’s not something we all have, and he realizes that. He is the same as every person in that he is mere mortal and do have problems as well, which in time he has come forward to share in order to highlight a problem for the greater good in society. I do think it’s useful when he does things like this as some issues are caused by stigma and shame and doesn’t get addressed by it. His support for HIV has given hope to those that are so ashamed of it. Him taking the test publicly has removed some of stigma, and it is so important to prevent the spread of HIV. Him opening up about his own struggles have shed light to others suffering that everyone have issues and need help in some form. So yes, he is human and have problems like the rest of us. But he is also privileged unlike the rest of us and decide to use it for good in his own way.

:previous: Well said :flowers:

He seemed to have taken his mother's lessons well. She knew she could never give her children a normal up bringing, they would never be normal. But she wanted them to have a sense of what normal people experience. Both the good (fast food and rollercoasters) and the bad (homelessness and disease).

What Harry is doing is no different then what his mother tried to do in her life. He is just taking a more modern approach to it. The myth of touching people with AIDS has died. But there is a stigma still about being tested. Harry has taken that step to show to others, with other celebrities, that no stigma needed. Sometimes it takes people who are in celebrity or royal or political, some role people look up to, to take that step to make others listen. Its not simply enough to say 'you should do it'. You get more people listening by action then simple words.

The Guardian going on about Harry. Good for him.

Another Christmas Miracle! ?

Court Circular 15th January:
Prince Henry of Wales this afternoon received Assistant Commissioner Martin Hewitt (Assistant Commissioner for Territorial Policing at the Metropolitan Police Service).

Court Circular 8th February:
Prince Henry of Wales this morning visited Transition Intervention and Liaison Service at the Lakes Mental Health Hospital, Turner Road, Mile End, Colchester, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Essex (Mrs Jennifer Tolhurst).

HRH Prince Harry visits the Fit and Fed' at London youth centre in North London today,looks like fun!

IMO very big move for Harry... I am surprised this isn't William tbh.

Prince Harry to take Commonwealth role

https://www.thetimes.co.u...mmonwealth-role-f98q9qc22

Prince Harry will take on an official leadership role with the Commonwealth in a bid to attract new generations to the organisation.

In a significant boost to his *position within the royal family — and in an effort to cement the *monarchy’s ties to the member nations — Harry is expected formally to accept a new role at the Commonwealth heads of government meeting in London, which will run from April 16 to 20.

Senior royal sources confirmed that the prince will play a leading part at the summit, which is to be hosted by the Queen. She has been head of the Common*wealth since her coronation in 1953. Heads of all the 53 member nations are expected to attend.

It is thought there is already agreement among the Com*mon*wealth heads for Harry to adopt a “youth *leadership” role and he is expec*ted to speak at the summit’s Commonwealth Youth Forum.

[More at link]

It is also being reported that in addition to attending the IG in Sydney in the fall, Harry and Meghan will also tie in an official tour of OZ/NZ as well.

:previous: I’m sure William has a significant role in CHOGM. It might just be that Harry’s role was more in question because only HMQ and Charles have attended before, but given that it’s in London this year, I’d expect a higher turnout from BRF. And I did wonder about Australia before. It’d be their first foreign visit after marriage albeit an unofficial one if it’s just IG. I just didn’t know how they’d work all of it out if an official tour is added to it. If that’s the cascade, they’ll be down under for a decent amount of time.

I am very glad to see this. Harry is very much a people person. Others respond to him very well and anything that Harry can do to strengthen those Commonwealth ties between the 54 nations he will do to the best of his ability I'm sure. Good that he is being given a formal official role at this CHOGM too.

If the couple does tour Australia I will definitely go and see him in person again, and Meghan too of course!

Presumably the BRF intends to use team Harry & Meghan a lot more?

That would make perfect sense, as they are in their prime, both age and energy wise, as well as experience (Harry mostly of course) and just as importantly; they are in their prime PR/glamour wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom