Duke of Sussex, Current Events 29: July 2017 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure Harry enjoyed his varied day of public engagements, everything from revisiting a village that was just devastated by flooding and celebrating just how resilient the residents of St Michael's on the Wyre are, to meeting those involved in a vital activity, assisting veterans with helpline services at Norcross. While he was at Blackpool, the pleasure dome of the north of England, it's a pity he couldn't have ridden on a few of the attractions. That would have really topped things off!

:previous: Especially if Harry could have gone on a few rides with the kids. It'd be hard to determine which one was the kid and which one was the prince. :D

Harry is truly coming into his own as far as stepping up and stepping into his royal role. What I notice most is that no matter what the engagement is, no matter who the people are that he's scheduled to meet, he throws everything he is into it and the rapport between himself and those that he is meeting is unmistakable.

Our Harry is all grown up and has found his niche and is one happy person inside and out.

Harry in Q and A form with Mellody on stage at the Forum. Lots of compliments coming through on social media.

Last edited:
Harry in Q and A form with Mellody on stage at the Forum. Lots of compliments coming through on social media.

I liked that it was a panel! Harry did well. And not that any woman should be defined by her husband, but Mellody Hobson is married to George Lucas (Star Wars George Lucas). In addition to her running one of, if not the largest African-American investment firms in the world.

Harry did an amazing job during the panel discussions and I really enjoyed today’s summit.

Prince Harry was amazing. The questions really had him out of his comfort zone, and I loved it. He was quick on his feet, and extremely thoughtful with his answers. Also, the trip to the school, with Michelle Obama, put a smile on the students faces! What an extraordinary day. It was an uplifting sight, considering the horrific events in New York. I'm proud of my former president and first lady, and their new friend.

Excellent discussion...the woman asking the questions was annoying IMO because she kept repeating/rephrasing the same question.

LaRae

Excellent discussion...the woman asking the questions was annoying IMO because she kept repeating/rephrasing the same question.

LaRae

Pranter, she did become a tad repetitive! :lol:

He did a great job. Very impressive listening to him talk. He handled it well :flowers:

Great seeing him and Michelle go out to the school as well. Great surprise for the kids. He really has seemed to build a good relationship with the Obamas. I hope we see continued interaction with Harry and the Obamas in the future.

Harry is a natural at this type of thing he’s done a magnificent job
His comments about his mother were very interesting. Well done Harry

True - I agree, the interviewer is really annoying.

But Prince Harry is fabulous - this guy is a huge untapped resource for good.
At times I get the jaded view that Royals live in a gilded cage and have no idea what the rest of the world have to endure.
But he speaks with eloquence and understanding and compassion, and I have so much hope for what he can do for those with most need, in the future.

Yes he's doing a lot more behind the scenes that we are even aware of. He's not sleeping all day and partying at night.

LaRae

Harry's back

CC 1/11

1st November, 2017
Prince Henry of Wales this evening arrived at Heathrow Airport, London, from the United States of America.
Ms Heather Wong and Mr Jason Knauf were in attendance.

The 'lady' who questioned Prince Harry at the Obama Summit is Mellody Hobson, a notable and well-regarded businesswoman (financial and investment analyst). Similar to Meghan Markle, Ms Hobson had established a successful career prior to meeting and falling in love with a very well known person. Her husband is the creator of Star Wars, George Lucas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellody_Hobson

I think Ms. Hobson did a fairly decent job of asking unexpectedly probing questions of Prince Harry. They weren't softball questions, and Harry proved to be quite adept at thinking on his feet and responding in a thoughtful and meaningful way.

At the beginning of their conversation, this response from Harry is quite revealing:

Hobson: "Did you always embrace this responsibility?"

Harry: "No, I don't think I understood it [the royal responsibility]. I think what happened to my Mom probably put me a step back thinking, 'Well how could someone who did so much for the world and who did so much for everybody else, be treated like that by a certain institution?' So, it takes a bit of getting used to. But as I said, once you understand the privileged position that you're in, you've then got to spend the rest of your life earning that privilege and giving back. And also gaining the trust and respect of the general public, and then using that position for good.

At first I wondered if Harry was referencing the 'royal' institution, but then I think it can be interpreted that he was referring to the way media/paps/tabloids hunted down his mother, which led to her death.

Harry's response re using one's status as a platform for good is very similar to something Meghan said in her AOL Build interview a couple of years ago, about being grateful for her success and desiring to use it as a platform to give back to others.

Harry: "I get all my passion, energy and inspiration from young people... It's all about giving back."

Last edited:
True - I agree, the interviewer is really annoying.

But Prince Harry is fabulous - this guy is a huge untapped resource for good.
At times I get the jaded view that Royals live in a gilded cage and have no idea what the rest of the world have to endure.
But he speaks with eloquence and understanding and compassion, and I have so much hope for what he can do for those with most need, in the future.

Prince Harry takes quite a bit after his mother, as Elton John has expressed on more than one occasion (most recently in conversation with Prince Harry re a tribute to Diana; the video can be found on Youtube). It is in fact largely due to Diana's desire for her sons to not live a sheltered palace existence, that both William and Harry are so caring and attuned to other people.

Diana took her boys to homeless shelters, hospitals, amusement parks, etc. She instilled in them a sense of responsibility, as well as a sense of fun and engagement with life outside palace walls. She did not allow royal staff to coddle her sons in a way that might have caused them to grow up spoiled and stuck-up. As Harry has said, "She was a naughty mother who let us know it was okay to be naughty sometimes, as long as we didn't get caught... We could feel her love from across the room."

I think Hobson, being a woman, might be seen as being too exacting and aggressive with her questioning. But if she were a man, she might be looked at differently for the same challenging approach. ;) I felt Hobson's questions were intelligent and probing, if somewhat overly demanding at times. I also think that the participants discussed beforehand the general direction questioning and panel discussions would take in connection with the specific topic areas. I don't think Prince Harry was surprised by Hobson's questions, despite her very inquisitory demeanor. In any case, he proved himself quite agile, articulate and forthcoming in his responses.

Harry also seemed to respect and appreciate the rigorous nature of the discussion. It certainly provided me with a greater understanding of the complexities entailed in setting up a viable charity and deciding how it should be operated, and what the focus should be, and how to make choices to support causes that will fulfill the greatest need and effect the greatest impact.

Last edited:
PRINCE HARRY WILL VISIT THE FIELD OF REMEMBRANCE AT WESTMINSTER ABBEY
Thursday 9th November 2017

Prince Harry will visit the Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey on Thursday 9th November 2017. His Royal Highness will be met by the Dean of Westminster, the President of the Poppy Factory and the National President of the Royal British Legion.
Prince Harry will lay a Cross of Remembrance in front of wooden crosses from the Graves of Unknown British Soldiers from the First and Second World Wars. The ‘Last Post’ will sound followed by a two-minute silence after which His Royal Highness will visit the plots meeting veterans from past and more recent conflicts.

This is the 89th year of the Field of Remembrance. The first Field of Remembrance was held in the grounds of Westminster Abbey in November 1928, when only two Remembrance Tribute Crosses were planted, but it began a tradition that took root and has grown and grown over the decades. There are now approximately 70,000 crosses planted. Each Remembrance Tribute carries a personal message to someone who lost his or her life in the service of our country.

www.poppyfactory.org/field-of-remembrance

I like to think to myself Barack, Michelle and Harry are really tight and they'll get front seats at the wedding. :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom