Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Official Visit to Dublin - July 10-11, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soapstar

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
Hermosa Beach
Country
United States
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will visit Dublin, Ireland on July 10th & 11th.
The visit is at the request of Her Majesty’s Government.​

Last edited:
This article talking about Charles and Camilla's recent trip to Ireland mentions Harry and Meghan's upcoming visit.

https://www.independent.ie/business...n-brexit-in-front-of-the-royals-37018589.html

"Preparations for Prince Harry and Meghan's visit are at an advanced stage but are being treated highly confidentially by government officials and diplomats.

However, sources say the Taoiseach is expected to meet the couple at some stage during their short stay."

I'm still surprised by the Ireland visit, but what do I know.

I'm still surprised by the Ireland visit, but what do I know.

IMO it doesn't make much sense to send Harry and Meghan somewhere Charles and Camilla have already been this year, to seemingly decent exposure. This seems oft repeated enough by a variety of sources that I lean toward it being more true than not, but unless its to open something in particular that is special or attend some big, one off event, I see little reason for two senior couples to go to the same country in the same 6 month span, especially a non-CR/CW nation.

That time would be better spent visiting parts of the UK that rarely get royal visits or doing a duchy visit to Sussex.

This is very exciting. I bet they are looking forward to seeing Dublin. Can't wait!

That's exciting!! I'm glad that they'll continue visits around the country.

There were quite a few rumours of an Irish visit and I'm so glad they were true and who knows I might head up to Dublin if I can get time off work!

This is very exciting. I bet they are looking forward to seeing Dublin. Can't wait!

She has visited Dublin before .The Phil at Trinity College awarded her the Bram Stoker Medal in 2013 and she did a Q & A there .

And there is this

Thanks for that! I'd forgotten about that little trip. And at the end she managed a nice head on the Guiness as well.

I guess when Harry said he was going to introduce Meghan all around, he really, really meant it. This couple is hitting the ground running and probably enjoy every minute of it and come back asking for more. I love it!

Great news that Ireland is confirmed. Hope that there will be more information released soon.

I would truly love to know the identity of the genius in KP who thought this was a good trip to accept in the first place, just a few weeks after Charles and Camilla had been here, and to have them in Ireland on the 11th of July! The tone deafness of this is truly astonishing.

As they are clearly unaware, this is peak marching season in Northern Ireland, with activities beginning on the 11th of July ahead of the 12th of July commemoration of the Battle of the Boyne when William of Orange defeated the armies of James II in what is now the Republic of Ireland. Tensions are extremely high during this period and have unfortunately often led to riots and clashes between police and protesters.

Who on earth thought this was a good time for Harry and Meghan to be in Dublin of all places? I hope there isn't but if there is rioting in NI while they're a couple of hours down the road will they be expected to make some sort of public statement? To acknowledge it in some way? I wouldn't trust Harry to do so given his previous utterances on controversial issues. No doubt they would just continue to try pulling a pint of Guinness (the most disgusting beverage known to man) and just pretend not to notice.

Yet another example of the complete lack of understanding of the issues on this island from the royals and KP in particular.

I would truly love to know the identity of the genius in KP who thought this was a good trip to accept in the first place, just a few weeks after Charles and Camilla had been here, and to have them in Ireland on the 11th of July! The tone deafness of this is truly astonishing.

As they are clearly unaware, this is peak marching season in Northern Ireland, with activities beginning on the 11th of July ahead of the 12th of July commemoration of the Battle of the Boyne when William of Orange defeated the armies of James II in what is now the Republic of Ireland. Tensions are extremely high during this period and have unfortunately often led to riots and clashes between police and protesters.

Who on earth thought this was a good time for Harry and Meghan to be in Dublin of all places? I hope there isn't but if there is rioting in NI while they're a couple of hours down the road will they be expected to make some sort of public statement? To acknowledge it in some way? I wouldn't trust Harry to do so given his previous utterances on controversial issues. No doubt they would just continue to try pulling a pint of Guinness (the most disgusting beverage known to man) and just pretend not to notice.

Yet another example of the complete lack of understanding of the issues on this island from the royals and KP in particular.

The decision on the trip would not have been taken by KP, but by BP in consultation with the FCO. These are not jollies, but trips undertaken at the behest of HM's government.

Megan and Harry are rock stars!

No they're not

A

I find it hard to believe that the PTB in Ken Palace and so on would not know all this.. that it is a sensitive time of the year in Ireland and IMO there's no real need for a royal visit right now. C and Camill have just been there and they have been on visits before and are clearly welcome and good at doing them. WHy send the inexperienced Hary and Meghan

Last edited by a moderator:
This trip is starting to sound like the mystery of the week with people wondering "whatever are they thinking??" :eek:

So many different "red flags" that have cropped up since this trip was announced. Perhaps right now, only HM, The Queen and her advisors from the government have a clue and we're being left in the dark.

This clearly isn't a decision made by H&M and KP but an "official" trip at the request of HM, The Queen and her government.

Stay tuned for more details as they become available is all we can do.

This trip and the timing just seem odd all around. Since it's being done at the request of the government, I'm sure there must be some reason it seemed like a good idea, but I'm struggling to figure out what it could be.

You are acting as if KP has the decision on this. Royals are asked to take foreign trips at the request of the government, but is it really a request and ask other than out of politeness? It's their duty to do what the government "requests" of them. Obviously, they can't physically force them to go, but you simply don't go there without being accused of being political and taking a position against the government. Do we really think HMQ is always happy to meet dictators and inviting them into her home?

Last edited:
I wonder will the duchess pour a pint of Guinness this time round for the Duke!

I thought about 11th July as well. It’s bonfire night in Ulster. Obviously the government wants them in the Republic but it’ll go over like a lead balloon with loyalists NI.

Last edited:
No they're not

In the US, the term ‘rock star’ is sometimes applied to persons who create an excited reaction in others. I’ve seen it used to refer to physicists, scientists, professors and politicians, among others.

Let's get back on topic.

I find it hard to believe that the PTB in Ken Palace and so on would not know all this.. that it is a sensitive time of the year in Ireland and IMO there's no real need for a royal visit right now. C and Camill have just been there and they have been on visits before and are clearly welcome and good at doing them. WHy send the inexperienced Hary and Meghan

Did C&C go to Dublin earlier this month? I thought it was County Kerry?

Look! Some of us here are long time royal watchers! We know how these things work! The royals and the palace don't sit down and suddenly decide to go on these official trips! These trips are decided by the British government and the Foreign Office. These trips also take time to plan!
If anybody has a problem with the Sussex's trip to Ireland, write the government!!!!!!!!

Of course these trips are made when the government suggest them, I know that as a long time royal watcher myself, thanks very much! My issue is not with the visit itself. It is with its timing.

I'm going to guess that KP had at least a significant amount of say in when it happened. I doubt very much a letter is sent from the Foreign Office to Kensington Palace or Buckingham Palace saying that they request Harry and Meghan go to Ireland on the 10th and 11th of July. With the exception of the Autumn tour, Harry and Meghan have very little else in their official diaries.

My issue is with the true idiots who thought it a good idea for British royals to be anywhere near the island of Ireland, let alone the Republic, during peak marching/bonfire season. A true misstep which can only have been taken by people who have zero understanding of this bit of the world, part of which is actually in the UK!

All of this in addition to the fact that having spent around 6 hours max in NI (unannounced), they will now undertake a 2 day announced visit to the Republic, a bit of a slap in the face for those of us north of the border. I wonder if they'll bother driving the couple of hours up the road to Kilkeel where they're now Baron and Baroness? I somehow doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom