Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Official Visit to Dublin - July 10-11, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course these trips are made when the government suggest them, I know that as a long time royal watcher myself, thanks very much! My issue is not with the visit itself. It is with its timing.

I'm going to guess that KP had at least a significant amount of say in when it happened. I doubt very much a letter is sent from the Foreign Office to Kensington Palace or Buckingham Palace saying that they request Harry and Meghan go to Ireland on the 10th and 11th of July. With the exception of the Autumn tour, Harry and Meghan have very little else in their official diaries.

My issue is with the true idiots who thought it a good idea for British royals to be anywhere near the island of Ireland, let alone the Republic, during peak marching/bonfire season. A true misstep which can only have been taken by people who have zero understanding of this bit of the world, part of which is actually in the UK!

All of this in addition to the fact that having spent around 6 hours max in NI (unannounced), they will now undertake a 2 day announced visit to the Republic, a bit of a slap in the face for those of us north of the border. I wonder if they'll bother driving the couple of hours up the road to Kilkeel where they're now Baron and Baroness? I somehow doubt it.

As I said upthread, I'm really wondering what the reasoning is behind this, especially since the timing is during such politically and historically complicated dates. All you have to do is consult Professor Google to understand why this is an interesting set of dates to choose.

Add into that the point Petticoat Lane made about the limited time H&M spent in NI during the get-acquainted tour, and it's easy to see why this might not go over especially well in NI.

I'm assuming that the PTB think that they are going to get something positive out of this trip that would outweigh the downsides, I'm just wondering what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did C&C go to Dublin earlier this month? I thought it was County Kerry?

The Prince and Duchess were warmly received in Cork and Kerry earlier this month.

I am sure that the royals will not want to be placed in a political sensitive situation and the fact that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are being sent at that time suggests that the government really want them to go!

Unless you were alive during the Troubles and understand the history between Catholics and Protestants in Ulster, it’s difficult to understand just how volatile this time of year is.

Every day during the lead up to 12th July, ‘The Glorious Twelfth’, members of The Orange Order along with Protestant marching bands, are out in communities throughout NI.

This takes us to 11th July, ‘Eleventh Night’ or bonfire night, when gigantic bonfires are lit all across NI. Some are more than 30 feet high. Tensions by this time are running high

Then on the 12th there’s the culmination of marching season. Thousands turn out in Belfast and other places to commemorate the victory of the Battle of the Boyne. When Protestant William of Orange, defeated Catholic James II, ensuring the success of The Glorious Revolution.

It’s a very emotional time and things a lot of times end in violence.

So it is a very bizarre time to send British royals to the Republic, especially when it will be viewed through the eyes of many in NI as a slap in the face.

I’d be interested to know why these dates were picked.

Last edited:
Thank you for explaining and the additional information. It will be interesting to see the itinerary.

We don't know what's behind this trip yet. And I certainly doubt that Harry and Meghan sat down to plan this themselves and insisted to the FCO that it must be the 10th and 11th that they visit.

My guess is that the Sussexes will complete their last engagement in Ireland on the 11th in the afternoon, and be long gone by night time when the bonfires are lit over the border.

Last edited:
Unless you were alive during the Troubles and understand the history between Catholics and Protestants in Ulster, it’s difficult to understand just how volatile this time of year is.

Every day during the lead up to 12th July, ‘The Glorious Twelfth’, members of The Orange Order along with Protestant marching bands, are out in communities throughout NI.

This takes us to 11th July, ‘Eleventh Night’ or bonfire night, when gigantic bonfires are lit all across NI. Some are more than 30 feet high. Tensions by this time are running high

Then on the 12th there’s the culmination of marching season. Thousands turn out in Belfast and other places to commemorate the victory of the Battle of the Boyne. When Protestant William of Orange, defeated Catholic James II, ensuring the success of The Glorious Revolution.

It’s a very emotional time and things a lot of times end in violence.

So it is a very bizarre time to send British royals to the Republic, especially when it will be viewed through the eyes of many in NI as a slap in the face.

I’d be interested to know why these dates were picked.

While I am an American, I attended Catholic schools from elementary through high school taught by many Irish born religious (priests,nun, and brother). I also had classmates with ties to NI and the Republic who definitely had memories of the Troubles.

When visiting NI and the Republic last summer we were there during marching season. Have to say it was a surreal and for myself a bit uncomfortable moment to drive into a town with the orange banners depicting the Battle of Boyne.:ermm:

While I doubt that Sussexes insisted upon the dates, it is interesting that the FO and their Irish counterparts were open to the visit happening then.

Sounds like an interesting visit.

Interesting but VERY short and so close on the heels of Charles and Camilla and it is, like theirs, at the request of the FO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to believe the visit starts tomorrow at least the weather is forecast to remain dry and warm more or less the same as the UK for the royal visit.

I actually forgot their visit starts tomorrow! Exciting week!

All the Brexit madness of the past day in the UK makes me very nervous about this tour now. A continued open border between Northern Ireland and Ireland is vital for UK. This tour just became a bit more complicated and significant, not the sort of easy first tour they were probably hoping for.

Alright folks, now that the excitement of the morning has past, it's time to get excited for the Ireland tour (is anyone else tired from all the events this week yet? :lol:). The British Embassy just tweeted that they are touching down soon.

British Embassy

Verified account

@BritEmbDublin
Follow Follow @BritEmbDublin
More
Not long now before Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrive in Dublin for some engagements this evening and a full itinerary tomorrow! Be sure to RT, Follow & Mention #RoyalVisitIreland @BritEmbDublin @KensingtonRoyal

An unprecedented number of journalists accredited for this mini-tour according to Rebecca English.

I think a few decided to stay back after that due to the recently drama in government, which is understandable given the seriousness of Brexit. But it does showcase the importance of royals. Politicians can resign and come and go, but royals stay and events go as planned.

Although it seems all the primary royal correspondents from most organizations went this morning, leaving their web team to cover the RAF 100.

Last edited:
It will be a busy 48 hours for the Duke and Duchess.

They have landed!

Its 21C or 70F in Dublin a lot cooler than the past few days but dry and sunny for the visit.

Excellent weather for the visit, thank goodness, not too hot or too cold, and some interesting places to go and see. Pity they couldnt detour to kiss the Blarney Stone though!

Last edited:
:previous::lol: Imagine that video and photo op for the owners of Blarney Castle!

Nothing like the thrill of lying backwards several feet up over an open space! You have to trust the person guiding you.

:previous::lol: Imagine that video and photo op for the owners of Blarney Castle!

Nothing like the thrill of lying backwards several feet up over an open space! You have to trust the person guiding you.

OMG, I just had a mental image. I would hope she'd take off her shoes if they had gone. :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom