Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I read this article by Piers Morgan on the DM: Piers Morgan : Meghan Markle can't lecture about equality | Daily Mail Online

I know many people have issues with him. I don't follow him on tv so I can't say whether I like him or not but, truth to be told, I have found myself agreeing with some of his articles. I also agreed with most of what he wrote today (though I'm sure many here won't) but I don't want to discuss that. One thing really, REALLY struck me. At one point, commenting Meghan's new bio on the Royals' website reporting her washing-up liquid "success" he writes:

"I remember discussing that very subject with you when we met for a drink in my local Kensington pub during the week you first met Harry."

Ok. I don't believe in coincidences. Why would Meghan meet with Morgan the same week she met Prince Harry? The meeting seemed to have been pre-arranged, not casual, and since it occurred in "his" pub probably requested more by her rather than him?. During the evening they discussed her story (the dishwasher incident and her views on women empowerment, etc. ). Why? It sounds like something you would tell during an interview! It all looks to me quite odd AND on the same week someone set her with Prince Harry? Who was using whom? Seems someone (who?) was doing a lot of PR/networking to me...but Piers Morgan seems a strange choice.

(I don't doubt this was true btw or he would be shut up by KP (privately or publicly) in a nano-second.)

He then goes on saying that they had already corresponded by email in previous months discussing gun control, etc. Ok...at that point she was neither famous nor influential (not even remotely, so, please, don't answer me that she was a humanitarian etc. etc.!). I would love to know how this acquaintance was formed and when (and if!) the correspondence ended!

To that, add that Violet von Westenholz, the now famous matchmaker, is in PR (and so are about a million society girls in London you'll say - true...). I don't know, but something doesn't compute to me. It all sounds very unnatural. I have no doubt that eager posters will enlighten me on the matter.

Has Morgan already discussed his acquaintance with Meghan? Maybe he has and I'm just ignorant but I was incredibly surprised I have to say!

There are about six pages of posts discussing Piers Morgan and Meghan Markle's pub discussion. How it came about (they were connected on twitter because of gun control and she was going to be in the UK), when it came about (either one or two days before she met Harry), and the wide ranging discussion they had (including the information that she was, at the end of June 2016, "recently single").

Here's a link to the six pages of posts, starting at the oldest: The Royal Forums - Search Results

Interesting to read the article about him, “the 52 year old known for his acid tongue”. The daily fail is bad enough but to subject yourself to nastiness by choice?

There are about six pages of posts discussing Piers Morgan and Meghan Markle's pub discussion. How it came about (they were connected on twitter because of gun control and she was going to be in the UK), when it came about (either one or two days before she met Harry), and the wide ranging discussion they had (including the information that she was, at the end of June 2016, "recently single").

Here's a link to the six pages of posts, starting at the oldest: The Royal Forums - Search Results

Thank you so much Hel! I was sure I was missing something!! I'll go and read about it. Very generous of you to provide the link! :flowers:

I saw that article! And he must have written around the same time he was slamming Samantha/Yvonne on TV for trash talking Meghan. I have no idea what point he was trying to make by quoting Meghan's email to him about gun control in a UK publication. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is gun safety a big deal in the UK?

I saw that article! And he must have written around the same time he was slamming Samantha/Yvonne on TV for trash talking Meghan. I have no idea what point he was trying to make by quoting Meghan's email to him about gun control in a UK publication. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is gun safety a big deal in the UK?

I'm thinking maybe it's the only bit of all the emails that had some substance so he published that, but he has written I think numerous articles pro gun control. It's an issue close to his heart.

“In accepting the tiara, Meghan also accepted her place in the royal family, and I mean that literally. A tiara isn’t a crown. That belongs to the monarch and after The Queen, it will pass to Charles then to William and straight past Harry on to Prince George. Meghan doesn't just fall behind those in the direct line of succession but also Harry and even her sister-in-law, The Duchess of Cambridge. It's a top-down system and it’s the glue that keeps the monarchy intact.

Meghan might be the biggest star in the royal family right now and indeed the western hemisphere but her wedding day was the first and last time The Queen waits for her in church and Kate tries to make herself invisible. The reality of that will already be setting in but I know Americans who have lived in the UK for decades who are still baffled by the class system here. It’s what separates the two cultures. Americans are brought up being told they can be president while we Britons are told there’s no point in even trying to be king or queen because you have to be born to it. “

Max Foster CNN: Royal Reality for Meghan Markle

I think it's getting tiring to read article after an article after article what Meghan has to get used to, how she wont be accepted, how horribly the Britons in their class system will treat her, how she simply never will understand it, because she's American, how she will get a horrible wake up call soon, how she will learn her place, how the protocol this and that..

Meghan has spent much of her adult life in the sexist, demeaning, belittling, racist, classist system of the acting world. She's an adult woman, who has lived and experienced life all over the world. Sure, she will experience new, and unpleasant things while learning her new role as the newest member of the BRF, but that happens everywhere, not just Britain. And most of her time won't be spent in the midst of these 'oh so stuffy aristos' but doing actual charity work, and that's an entirely different scene.

Max Foster & CNN Europe has done non-stop (over-)reporting for months now. No wonder he is running out of topics to discuss & starts writing drivel like this. Quite shocking for a news station, especially considering all the newly created crises by Russian stooges, kleptocrats and fascists everywhere are setting much of the world on fire. This could be considered more important for a news channel to report than to write the 101th article about the royal wedding of that day. The way it is now CNN has become an entertainment channel, one step up from the Daily Mail.

Last edited:
“In accepting the tiara, Meghan also accepted her place in the royal family, and I mean that literally. A tiara isn’t a crown. That belongs to the monarch and after The Queen, it will pass to Charles then to William and straight past Harry on to Prince George. Meghan doesn't just fall behind those in the direct line of succession but also Harry and even her sister-in-law, The Duchess of Cambridge. It's a top-down system and it’s the glue that keeps the monarchy intact.

Meghan might be the biggest star in the royal family right now and indeed the western hemisphere but her wedding day was the first and last time The Queen waits for her in church and Kate tries to make herself invisible. The reality of that will already be setting in but I know Americans who have lived in the UK for decades who are still baffled by the class system here. It’s what separates the two cultures. Americans are brought up being told they can be president while we Britons are told there’s no point in even trying to be king or queen because you have to be born to it. “

Britons can aspire to be Prime Minister.

Last edited:

This is quite funny to me because Meghan, having attended many engagements during her engagement, seems to always do her homework. This seems to only be news to those reporting it. Knowing the couple, I think they are fully aware they won’t ever be king and queen and I think that’s just the way they’d prefer.

And I know people were upset with Harry when he said no one wants to be King and Queen, but was he wrong? Is the weight of the crown really worth the tiaras? Or is it more of duty they were born into? I think if anyone asked any of the spares in the last four generations if they wanted to be king or queen, the answer would’ve been no. But it was a duty that one of them couldn’t avoid.

Last edited:
That article by Max Foster is the very pinnacle of vacuity.. it says NOTHING of interest, let alone give any insight into the new life opening up to the Duchess, as part of the BRF.

Of course there will be critics [as there are for ANYONE joining a family at the epicentre of our national life], but the VAST majority of people [of all classes and ages] will joyously welcome her, since she is the chosen spouse of a MUCH LOVED Prince.

EVERYONE wants Harry to be happy, and clearly his wife makes him so..

I cannot understand why anybody worries quite so much.. [other than for 'column inches']

Last edited:
That's about the gist of it with all mainstream news channels in the US these days, Marengo. The fine art of impartial journalism has taken a back seat to "personalities" and ratings and just a whole lot of "fake" news or blowing things out of proportion.

I want the real stuff back. Who, what, when, how and why.

That article by Max Foster is the very pinnacle of vacuity.. it says NOTHING of interest, let alone give any insight into the new life opening up to the Duchess, as part of the BRF.

Of course there will be critics [as there are for ANYONE joining a family at the epicentre of our national life], but the VAST majority of people [of all classes and ages] will joyously welcome her, since she is the chosen spouse of a MUCH LOVED Prince.

EVERYONE wants Harry to be happy, and clearly his wife makes him so..

I cannot understand why Americans worry quite so much.. [other than for 'column inches']

Since Max Foster is not an American I don't understand your last sentence. You can keep him!;)

Max Foster is not an American

Oops, my mistake.. i'll edit accordingly. Foster may not be but CNN is, and has no 'reach'in the UK..

Last edited:

Okay? Max not saying anything new here. Harry and Meghan know their role. Harry has zero interest in being King. They will use their influence in other ways which suits them much, much better in the long run. It is the best thing, honestly.

Think he wrote this piece in response to one of the American networks referring to Harry and Meghan as the next king and Queen.

This article provides context on the realities of being married to the 6th in line.

Think he wrote this piece in response to one of the American networks referring to Harry and Meghan as the next king and Queen.

This article provides context on the realities of being married to the 6th in line.

Well, American "news" people are not known for their veracity when it comes to things Royal. And they probably meant king and queen colloquially rather than King and Queen in actuality.

I think Meghan is fully aware of the realities of being married to the 6th in line.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Perfect comment and much appreciated.

I don't think someone mis-refers Harry and Meghan as the next king and queen deserve that much discussions. Pretty sure no one really think they will be king and queen someday considering BRF's high profile, let alone Harry and Meghan.

Last edited:
I think Meghan knows the expectations of her new position. I'm sure she considered all of those things--upsides and downsides--before she agreed to marry Harry.

What American network referred to them as the next king and queen? All the major news network coverage I've seen is well aware they won't likely be king and queen. Megyn Kelly even mentioned how don't people think that's what Harry'd prefer when they were doing the review of their royal coverage experience.

This whole statement doesn't take into account that Meghan is a very intelligent woman, who's been around all these people for a little while now, and knows what her spot is on the totem pole.

People love to under estimate her, but she hasn't not showed respect to all those individuals.

My husband is British and we use to live in England, Now we live in the US and when we went to see our daughter at 5 years old to school recital celebrating July 4th, made my husband really upset in what this kids were saying, they were having a script by the teachers and the kids memorized. The main point that make my husband upset was when one of the kids said something in the lines :" We are better because we can choose a president instead of a queen" Well you could see my husband getting really upset, saying how do you know? we are happy with our Queen! the concept here in America between royalty and presidents it is so far away from reality. And this was in a private school! there are not better or worst each country use to live different way and we should all respect that

:previous:

I think this article is just a quiet reminder not to Meghan but to some of her die hard fans that, for now of course, the Sussexes are the "it couple" of the BRF and all is fun and nice but in a soon to be future they will be englobed in a far more large working institution where, it's a fact, they will not have THE predominant role.

Of course they will have a MAJOR role , but not the first, and a day to day Monarchy is , let's face it, far to be THAT glamorous. I clearly recall the very high expectations for Will and Kate back in 2011 : "modern", "young", "breath of fresh air" ... now they are seen by many as "stiff", "dowdy" if not "boring" because they are precisely doing the job : more community visits than film premieres.

We are still so excited by last days incredible events, and rightly so. And this article is maybe bordeline "raining on parade" , but yes Meghan has to toe the line, and as pointed out, she seems to perfectly know where her place is.

Last edited:
That's about the gist of it with all mainstream news channels in the US these days, Marengo. The fine art of impartial journalism has taken a back seat to "personalities" and ratings and just a whole lot of "fake" news or blowing things out of proportion.

I want the real stuff back. Who, what, when, how and why.*

*Where? LOL ;)

And I agree.

:previous:

I think this article is just a quiet reminder not to Meghan but to some of her die hard fans that, for now of course, the Sussexes are the "it couple" of the BRF and all is fun and nice but in a soon to be future they will be englobed in a far more large working institution where, it's a fact, they will not have THE predominant role.

Of course they will have a MAJOR role , but not the first, and a day to day Monarchy is , let's face it, far to be THAT glamorous. I clearly recall the very high expectations for Will and Kate back in 2011 : "modern", "young", "breath of fresh air" ... now they are seen by many as "stiff", "dowdy" if not "boring" because they are precisely doing the job : more community visits than film premieres.

We are still so excited by last days incredible events, and rightly so. And this article is maybe bordeline "raining on parade" , but yes Meghan has to toe the line, and as pointed out, she seems to perfectly know where her place is.

The thing is, there's no 'quietly pointing it out' to anyone. There has been tens of articles like this, and every Meghan fan is aware of this. It's been bombarded for nearly 2 years now.

I personally find the tone of 'showing Meghan her place' borderline offensive. She has shown no indication, that she thinks she's some sort of star, or that she's marrying a royal in a higher position, than 6th in line. She cones across as hard working, and actually enjoys the behind the scenes work a lot, always has. And this wasn't aimed at you, or anyone else here, but these never ending articles of Meghan needing to learn her place, there has been so many of them.

My husband is British and we use to live in England, Now we live in the US and when we went to see our daughter at 5 years old to school recital celebrating July 4th, made my husband really upset in what this kids were saying, they were having a script by the teachers and the kids memorized. The main point that make my husband upset was when one of the kids said something in the lines :" We are better because we can choose a president instead of a queen" Well you could see my husband getting really upset, saying how do you know? we are happy with our Queen! the concept here in America between royalty and presidents it is so far away from reality. And this was in a private school! there are not better or worst each country use to live different way and we should all respect that

It's an outdated view based on the British class system. At one time the aristocracy held the political power in the UK and you couldn't grow up to be Prime Minister unless you belonged to the upper-class. In the U.S., on other and, we celebrate presidents like Abraham Lincoln, a "common man," who was born in a log cabin to an illiterate farmer. When the Boston Brahmin Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. campaigned for vice-president in 1960 he had to downplay his patrician background and manner.

Some Americans still view Britain that way. They also tend to lump the monarchy with the aristocracy, with the monarch at the top. That's where the statement "in the U.S. you can grow up to be President but in the UK you can't grow up to be Queen" comes from, ignoring the fact that the two positions aren't parallel.

And the class system does exist in the UK today, at least to some extent, which continues to confuse the issue for some Americans. My great-uncle and his wife lived in the UK in the 1950s and were taken aback by it. Mary Robertson, the American who hired Lady Diana Spencer as her children's nanny in 1980, was surprised at an acquaintance's reaction when she suggested she pair the two together. Diana was an earl's daughter, he was NOT her equal, that could never happen! And I believe the press made snobbish comments about the middle-class Middletons when their daughter dated Prince William.

It's an outdated view based on the British class system. At one time the aristocracy held the political power in the UK and you couldn't grow up to be Prime Minister unless you belonged to the upper-class. In the U.S., on other and, we celebrate presidents like Abraham Lincoln, a "common man," who was born in a log cabin to an illiterate farmer. When the Boston Brahmin Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. campaigned for vice-president in 1960 he had to downplay his patrician background and manner.

Some Americans still view Britain that way. They also tend to lump the monarchy with the aristocracy, with the monarch at the top. That's where the statement "in the U.S. you can grow up to be President but in the UK you can't grow up to be Queen" comes from, ignoring the fact that the two positions aren't parallel.

And the class system does exist in the UK today, at least to some extent, which continues to confuse the issue for some Americans. My great-uncle and his wife lived in the UK in the 1950s and were taken aback by it. Mary Robertson, the American who hired Lady Diana Spencer as her children's nanny in 1980, was surprised at an acquaintance's reaction when she suggested she pair the two together. Diana was an earl's daughter, he was NOT her equal, that could never happen! And I believe the press made snobbish comments about the middle-class Middletons when their daughter dated Prince William.

You know, it's interesting. I was watching The View on Monday on their coverage of the royal wedding. Meghan McCain was going on and on about how she couldn't do it because she has paintings of the Founding Fathers in her living room and how they fought against the monarchy. Someone told her the Founding Fathers might be over it at this point. :lol: Yea, things have definitely changed.

You know, it's interesting. I was watching The View on Monday on their coverage of the royal wedding. Meghan McCain was going on and on about how she couldn't do it because she has paintings of the Founding Fathers in her living room and how they fought against the monarchy. Someone told her the Founding Fathers might be over it at this point. :lol: Yea, things have definitely changed.

Not to mention the fact that Britain is one of our closest allies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom