Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
og9nvd.png
9hsaiq.png

Coat of Arms of TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

Welcome to The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's
General News, Part One

Commencing May 19, 2018

The previous thread can be found here.
Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
Here is the new? profile of the Duchess of Sussex on the official website.
https://www.royal.uk/duchess-sussex

About The Duchess of Sussex

The Duchess of Sussex, born Meghan Markle, married Prince Harry at St George's Chapel, Windsor in May 2018. The couple's official residence is Kensington Palace. As well as undertaking royal duties in support of The Queen, both in the UK and overseas, The Duchess devotes her time to supporting a number of charities and organisations.

From a young age, The Duchess had a keen awareness of social issues and actively participated in charitable work. Aged 11 she successfully campaigned for a company to alter their television advert that had used sexist language to sell washing-up liquid. Her Royal Highness also volunteered at a soup kitchen in Skid Row, Los Angeles from the age of 13-17. She continued to volunteer at the soup kitchen when she would return home to Los Angeles until the age of 22.

Last edited by a moderator:
The BBC reporter mentioned at the end of the broadcast that several official trips abroad are planned for this year. One of them will be to The Netherlands.

Excellent news and great experience for Meghan. I look forward to hearing more about it and other trips planned in coming months.

The BBC also mentioned a trip to Dublin being planned?

The BBC reporter mentioned at the end of the broadcast that several official trips abroad are planned for this year. One of them will be to The Netherlands.

I am surprised as I thought they will focus on commonwealth countries and trips to non-commonwealth countries won't happen that soon. But I am very looking forward to that.:flowers:

Can I see it as a sign that they will take over/share Wessexes' role and attend foreign royal events in future? simply a wild guess:lol:.

Last edited:
They will be visiting Auz for Invictus Games 2018 and its said they will visit New Zealand and Fiji on the way there/back turning it into a Commonwealth tour. A Dublin and/or Netherlands tour would only be a day or two, Kate did her visit to Netherlands in hours.

I heard that too! I better start clearing my agenda for the coming date then. ?

Interesting. Any rough date (month) ?

Has anything actually been confirmed by KP? I've seen reports of a Netherlands/Nordic trip and a big tour this fall (Oz, NZ etc etc).

LaRae

I fear I forgot all the other countries the BBC reporter mentioned but there were quite a few. She did not mention any dates. It was towards the end of the live broadcast, after they left the chapel IIRC. I can't find the entire BBC report online as they cut it up in xx pieces.

A detail but i'm surprised that her divorce is not mentioned. Not a big deal if you ask me but , for exemple, it's the case for the Duchess of Cornwall.

I think it’s the same logic as her wedding. With Camilla, there was no way of avoiding it and it was significant given her kids and the situation caused them not to be married in the Church. In Meghan’s case, it’s insignificant and treated as a nonissue in terms of getting married in church and wearing white (meghan’s Dress really couldn’t be any whiter).

Last edited:
A detail but i'm surprised that her divorce is not mentioned. Not a big deal if you ask me but , for exemple, it's the case for the Duchess of Cornwall.

Likely because of the obvious difference: kids.

Camilla's previous marriage is mentioned, because her kids are. Andrew is only mentioned briefly. The inclusion is just to include her children and grandkids.

Since Meghan and Trevor had no children, really no reason to include him.

I fear I forgot all the other countries the BBC reporter mentioned but there were quite a few. She did not mention any dates. It was towards the end of the live broadcast, after they left the chapel IIRC. I can't find the entire BBC report online as they cut it up in xx pieces.

How many countries? I can’t imagine it being THAT much more. There is already an Australian trip for IG at the minimum. There has been rumors about extending that. I’d be surprised if they don’t visit Canada next year though. I’ve heard some hopes from Canadians that they’d visit soon bc the bride lived there for so long.

Camilla's previous marriage is mentioned, because her kids are. Andrew is only mentioned briefly. The inclusion is just to include her children and grandkids.

Exactly. And while Camilla was Mrs. Parker Bowles when she married Charles, Meghan was Ms. Markle (not Mrs. Engelson) when she married Harry.

Another detail: her previous wedding had been only performed civilly, and the Church doesn't acknowledges it.

Beautiful site for Meghan and it says a great deal about the young girl learning about social responsibility and the strong intelligent woman she became today. I think she will be a perfect match for the BRF and most of all she and Harry share a deep love between them and that will provide the basis for their commitment to doing great things in the future.

I can't wait for their first official visit to Meghan's homeland! It'll be so exciting.

The discussion about the wedding coverage and ratings have been moved to the 'Wedding of Harry and Meghan' thread.

Surely it’s not accurate to suggest Megan Markle will bring feminism to the Royal family . Princess Anne has very successfully done so for years .

#JustSayin'

I'd actually be very hard pressed to define Meghan as a "feminist". To me, that word is too constricting and boxes a person into a certain mold. Meghan most certainly isn't a run of the mill, easy to put into a box kind of person. She embraces her femininity but its like her ethereal veil and highlights a woman comfortable in her own skin.

For me, the true feminist is the one that can see humanity as a whole and strive for balance in how all people are to be respected, cared for and loved as the unique people they are. This, too, I think was Bishop Curry's message. "Love your God, love your neighbors and also love yourself."

I have been watching the repeat coverage on BBC America....this is what I heard....trips to Dublin, the Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, the Fiji Islands and Tongo.

Queen Elizabeth is a great example of strength and feminism. I feel like people try to force their own definition onto Meghan. She is not bringing something foreign, just adding something different. There is nothing wrong with that but folks will twisted it to suit whatever agenda they are going for.

Anyways, as for the feminism thing. I'm glad the royal family included that in her official bio. I remember her being a feminist was an issue for some as they thought that's political. The reality for a lot of Western country isn't the lack of laws in these cases, but the traditional male and female gender role that we grow up with and then goes on to shape how we behave. Things like teaching girls to drown out voices that tell them they have to be a certain way, and teach them it's ok if they like math more than literature. It's the way people behave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the Sussexes will join the Royal party at the Chelsea Flower show 'Private view', this evening ?

Today I read this article by Piers Morgan on the DM: Piers Morgan : Meghan Markle can't lecture about equality | Daily Mail Online

I know many people have issues with him. I don't follow him on tv so I can't say whether I like him or not but, truth to be told, I have found myself agreeing with some of his articles. I also agreed with most of what he wrote today (though I'm sure many here won't) but I don't want to discuss that. One thing really, REALLY struck me. At one point, commenting Meghan's new bio on the Royals' website reporting her washing-up liquid "success" he writes:

"I remember discussing that very subject with you when we met for a drink in my local Kensington pub during the week you first met Harry."

Ok. I don't believe in coincidences. Why would Meghan meet with Morgan the same week she met Prince Harry? The meeting seemed to have been pre-arranged, not casual, and since it occurred in "his" pub probably requested more by her rather than him?. During the evening they discussed her story (the dishwasher incident and her views on women empowerment, etc. ). Why? It sounds like something you would tell during an interview! It all looks to me quite odd AND on the same week someone set her with Prince Harry? Who was using whom? Seems someone (who?) was doing a lot of PR/networking to me...but Piers Morgan seems a strange choice.

(I don't doubt this was true btw or he would be shut up by KP (privately or publicly) in a nano-second.)

He then goes on saying that they had already corresponded by email in previous months discussing gun control, etc. Ok...at that point she was neither famous nor influential (not even remotely, so, please, don't answer me that she was a humanitarian etc. etc.!). I would love to know how this acquaintance was formed and when (and if!) the correspondence ended!

To that, add that Violet von Westenholz, the now famous matchmaker, is in PR (and so are about a million society girls in London you'll say - true...). I don't know, but something doesn't compute to me. It all sounds very unnatural. I have no doubt that eager posters will enlighten me on the matter.

Has Morgan already discussed his acquaintance with Meghan? Maybe he has and I'm just ignorant but I was incredibly surprised I have to say!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom