Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The BRF have been pretty clear in their strong support for Meghan since day one.

LaRae

An excellent Post Maia no 721.
And Rudolph you are so right , I worry about when Meghan and Harry are back at work, if they are not seen out and about often enough people will say they are lazy and not doing enough. Most do not realize how much work goes on behind the scenes. Not every event is covered by cameras.
The same thing happened with Kate after her wedding. If she wasn't seen out and about often enough she was heavily criticized.
And i just know the same thing will happen with Meghan.

That’s quite the endorsement. If I didn’t know better, I’d almost think there’s PR people on here posting for Meghan. Of course there aren’t.

The danger of course is that in building Meghan up to these astronomical heights, it makes the fall all that more visible.

Meghan clearly has a loyal fan base, but by making her into a combination of Meryl Streep, Mother Theresa, Lady Diana and The Queen all rolled into one, the bar is being set very high. If Meghan doesn’t do 500 engagements a year, 3 royal tours and finds a cure cancer, she will be considered a failure.

Not to mention it will give her critics a bigger stick to beat her with and say “see I told you so”.

To be honest, her critics judge her for breathing so it really means little. I do agree people are putting too many expectations on her at both ends of the spectrum. She has been a royal for 3 months. Take it down a notch.

It has been interesting in a few of these "100 Days" articles (which I find ridiculous) that there has been a sense of Meghan must work hard but not too hard. It has been truly fascinating. Just another example in that she will be judged regardless of what she does work wise.

Last edited:
That's seems rather harsh on the queen. How is Meghan 'next level' for the entire royal institution. She seems to be of added value (although she also brought a lot of baggage that is harmful to the institution - not necessarily her own fault but still damaging) but she is only a few months in and the monarchy would surely have been doing fine had Harry married someone else.

While I appreciate famous and rich people being an ambassador for certain projects (and them meeting people might be the highlight of the year for some of them), it's because of many others that these initiatives are successful. What is the 'cost' (not just financially) to them to be involved as that tells us a lot about their motives.

Just to clarify, I genuinely believe they want to help people but they do so from the very comfortable position that they won't ever be in need (well, other than of privacy).

Again, see my prior post. There's a lot going on. And a lot of it is going on in our own heads. I acknowledge that I do not know anything about what it's really like on the inside of the royal firm, but Meghan does. And I think she walked into this with her eyes open. Harry and Meghan over the course of their courtship surely talked a great deal about the logistics of being royal and about what their married life would be like. In addition, I don't think there is any question about how much they love each other. There is definitely 'a power in love.' Beyond what any of us might be willing to believe.

It's in your own head, if you think praising the Duchess of Sussex somehow diminishes the amazing and irreplaceable Queen Elizabeth II. Her Royal Majesty has reigned for over 65 years, longer than any other British monarch. She is not someone whose stature, presence and wisdom should be taken for granted. I believe the Queen has an eye and a heart for understanding who people are and assessing their character. I am quite sure that the Queen sees Meghan as a positive force for good in the royal family & the Commonwealth. The Queen also surely sees Meghan as a smart, confident woman and helpmate for the Duke of Sussex, her beloved grandson. Regardless of what anyone thinks, the union of Meghan and Harry did not occur lightly, casually, or carelessly. We don't know all of the behind-the-scenes details, and we probably never will.

As far as their humanitarian projects, the royals have evolved over the years, and they learned a great deal from Diana PoW's caring, hands-on touch with the public. The Queen has been a monarch who is very open to change and to adapting to changing times. I think the Fab Four are deeply committed to their projects under the Royal Foundation umbrella. None of them are doing anything for show. They are all very hands-on and caring, especially Meghan. You have only to look at the pre-Harry AOL Build interview with Meghan, and the Create and Cultivate interview with Meghan from October 2016 to get a glimpse of who Meghan is. She is sincere and dedicated to making a difference. She is a doer, not a complainer.

Last edited:
While I appreciate famous and rich people being an ambassador for certain projects (and them meeting people might be the highlight of the year for some of them), it's because of many others that these initiatives are successful. What is the 'cost' (not just financially) to them to be involved as that tells us a lot about their motives.

Just to clarify, I genuinely believe they want to help people but they do so from the very comfortable position that they won't ever be in need (well, other than of privacy).

Them being in a very comfortable position doesn't discount their contribution. Especially when a lot of them weren't born into wealth, but worked hard for it. Bottom line is I often see people discount those that are doing good, whether it be that they are in a comfortable place or because they are famous. They don't have to do it, but choose to do it. Not all of them get the level of Angelina attention. Meghan certainly didn't until after she got involved with Harry. But she couldn't have known that when she actually advocated for these issues. Yet she did them without knowing that one day this would happen and she'd devote her life to advocating for causes.

What does it cost anyone to volunteer? And yet not everyone does it. Why should someone being well off diminish the good they've done? Especially if they are able to inspire others to contribute in whatever way they can as well.

It has been interesting in a few of these "100 Days" articles (which I find ridiculous) that there has been a sense of Meghan must work hard but not too hard. It has been truly fascinating. Just another example in that she will be judged regardless of what she does work wise.

Yea, that made me do a double take as well. I don't know anywhere else would one of the rules is not to work too hard. And the reason is not to make others look bad. I'm not sure who they are trying to insult. :lol:

. . . . . Despite all the high intensity insanity that's been going on in the media, Meghan remains her calm, down-to-earth self even as she goes through a rare life transition.

The Duchess of Sussex is a pretty darn extraordinary human being. I see Meghan as a positive role model and someone to take inspiration from.

. . . . . As much as Meghan 'gets it,' I think the Queen 'gets' exactly who Meghan is, and the Queen has conferred her utmost approval.
Sadly the Summer has seen the length and depth of the animus toward Meghan, not least by her own family. However, I seem to remember her saying that she never read her own press. I truly hope she doesn't. However I, like many others on the forums, are perfectly aware that that Summer means the royal families of the UK and Europe tend to take a holiday and never where there is easy access to them so with luck they all missed the much ado about nothing.

To say that HM get's it is to understate the situation. Meghan's entrance into the BRF has certainly been both smooth and fast which, I believe, is a measure of the confidence she has in both Harry and Meghan and I will be really watching to see how they establish their own style.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one is against hard work. Certainly no one in the royal family. But the pendulum swings both ways. With Meghan being a ‘step up’ for the entire royal institution, that’s such lofty heights, there’s really no where to go but down.

Take Meghan’s “she wants to change the world” comment. Does Meghan really think she can change the world? If she does, she has a very over inflated view of herself. Relatively few people in history actually ‘change the world’

And if she doesn’t think she’ll change world, why say it? Because she thinks it makes a good sound bite?

I noticed Harry took a much more realistic line during the engagement interview by saying Meghan will be team player.

I’m sure the people of Britain will be content if Meghan just tries to help the neighbourhood

Last edited:
Yea, that made me do a double take as well. I don't know anywhere else would one of the rules is not to work too hard. And the reason is not to make others look bad. I'm not sure who they are trying to insult. :lol:

:previous: Yep, it's always important to read between the lines, to reflect on your own thoughts and motivations before critiquing and judging others. I don't read trashy tabloids, and I'm cautious about all of the made-up crap, and even the mainstream filler. Much of the 100 days stuff are summaries and rehashes, but every once in awhile there contains some grains of truth and reality.

And btw, in response to some other posters' comments, I believe Meghan is smart enough to know what she can take on and how much she can handle. She's not doing anything for her own aggrandizement in any case. She's a high-achieving Leo with a no-nonsense approach to life, as well as a love for the good things in life.

I suspect Meghan will gain her sea-legs and remain the calm in the storm and 'noise' around her. As it says in the bible, 'This too shall pass.' I believe that the Duke & Duchess of Sussex, despite all the ups-and-downs, are willingly bound together forever, come what may.

It is such an odd take. They seems to be reaching for another angle to attack Meghan. Lose/Lose situation.

Take Meghan’s “she wants to change the world” comment. Does Meghan really think she can change the world? If she does, she has a very over inflated view of herself. Relatively few people in history actually ‘change the world’

And if she doesn’t think she’ll change world, why say it? Because she thinks it makes a good sound bite?

I don't recall Meghan claiming she was going to "change the world" in the interview. Maybe you can refresh my memory. Now Nacho said after the polo event on his IG which many took great offense. Meghan said she wanted to get boots on the ground and was excited about getting to work. I don't see the issue in that considering she did work quite a bit as a fiancee.

I didn’t say it was from the interview. Harry’s comment about a team player is from The interview. I do think it’s Meghan’s comment because I don’t believe what Nacho said was off the cuff. To me it was very scripted. It makes for a good sound bite.

Okay then where did she said it? You speak like it was a direct quote. Just curious because I don't remember it. Nacho can have his own thoughts. We all have them but that is different than claiming it was from their own mouth.

Neither Meghan nor Harry ever said they are going to change the world. They both spoke in the engagement interview of wanting to see 'change, change for good.' See one part where they address this topic at about 12:45 in the video below. They also spoke of working together to make a difference for young people, and for the causes and interests they are passionate about. Some of their friends have spoken about believing Meghan and Harry are passionate enough to 'change the world,' which I think is fine for their friends to believe and to admire in them. It's one of the reasons why their mutual friends thought they should meet each other. :D

Please link to anywhere that Meghan said she is going to change the world. I think she's always been very specific about the kinds of 'change' she is interested in helping to make happen in the world. No one can singlehandedly 'change the world.' But together the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are in a very remarkable position to make some profound differences, chiefly through encouraging, supporting, enabling, and inspiring others. Many young people are already in the process of bringing change to their communities, and that's one reason why Harry was made Commonwealth Youth Ambassador and why Meghan & Harry 'hit the ground running' by visiting communities around Great Britain where important projects are bringing change to families and neighborhoods.

Last edited:
Again, see my prior post. There's a lot going on. And a lot of it is going on in our own heads. I acknowledge that I do not know anything about what it's really like on the inside of the royal firm, but Meghan does. And I think she walked into this with her eyes open. Harry and Meghan over the course of their courtship surely talked a great deal about the logistics of being royal and about what their married life would be like. In addition, I don't think there is any question about how much they love each other. There is definitely 'a power in love.' Beyond what any of us might be willing to believe.
Not sure what you are responding to. Did anyone question any of this?

It's in your own head, if you think praising the Duchess of Sussex somehow diminishes the amazing and irreplaceable Queen Elizabeth II. Her Royal Majesty has reigned for over 65 years, longer than any other British monarch. She is not someone whose stature, presence and wisdom should be taken for granted. I believe the Queen has an eye and a heart for understanding who people are and assessing their character. I am quite sure that the Queen sees Meghan as a positive force for good in the royal family & the Commonwealth. The Queen also surely sees Meghan as a smart, confident woman and helpmate for the Duke of Sussex, her beloved grandson. Regardless of what anyone thinks, the union of Meghan and Harry did not occur lightly, casually, or carelessly. We don't know all of the behind-the-scenes details, and we probably never will.
I disagree if the praise is that Meghan is a level up for the royal institution. That implies that without her the royal family is at a lower level. So yes, this specific type of praise by default diminishes the work of the queen. As I clearly stated I agree that Meghan is a valuable addition to the family but it's not that the royal family needed someone like Meghan to raise them up.

As far as their humanitarian projects, the royals have evolved over the years, and they learned a great deal from Diana PoW's caring, hands-on touch with the public. The Queen has been a monarch who is very open to change and to adapting to changing times. I think the Fab Four are deeply committed to their projects under the Royal Foundation umbrella. None of them are doing anything for show. They are all very hands-on and caring, especially Meghan. You have only to look at the pre-Harry AOL Build interview with Meghan, and the Create and Cultivate interview with Meghan from October 2016 to get a glimpse of who Meghan is. She is sincere and dedicated to making a difference. She is a doer, not a complainer.
Why 'especially Meghan'? Again, I believe they genuinly want to help people. But in practice it doesn't cost them that much. The cost is a little bit of their time and in return they get very interesting experiences and are praised for the wonderful work they do... The main accomplishment of the royal foundation imo has been to raise awareness about mental health. So, they certainly do relevant things and it was smart of William, Hary and Catherine to do so by creating the toyal foundation. Regarding most projects, I don't see others in a comparable position not doing something similar (Sofia of Sweden doing a project in South Africa to raise her charitable profile, Tessy going crazy with the number of projects she 'supports'). So, to me their greatest value is in identifying those issues that others don't talk about yet and that might be something of a taboo issue (Meghan did so on the topic of menstruation, Diana did so on several topics, Laurentien did so on literacy, and W, H and C on mental health).

Them being in a very comfortable position doesn't discount their contribution. Especially when a lot of them weren't born into wealth, but worked hard for it. Bottom line is I often see people discount those that are doing good, whether it be that they are in a comfortable place or because they are famous. They don't have to do it, but choose to do it. Not all of them get the level of Angelina attention. Meghan certainly didn't until after she got involved with Harry. But she couldn't have known that when she actually advocated for these issues. Yet she did them without knowing that one day this would happen and she'd devote her life to advocating for causes.

What does it cost anyone to volunteer? And yet not everyone does it. Why should someone being well off diminish the good they've done? Especially if they are able to inspire others to contribute in whatever way they can as well.

I appreciate Meghan and others doing these things. My main concern is the excessive praise the famous people including the royals receive while those who do the day-to-day really hard work often get unnoticed. So let's give praise where praise is due: those invisible employees and volunteers running all those programs and offering up much of what they have to serve those in need.

I do recognize that this showing up and being a face for certain projects and even the inflated praise also serves a purpose in inspiring others to actually go out and make the difference in their corner of the world.

Last edited:
I agree with Somebody on this. I think celebrities and the royals doing these charity events are great. When it is genuine it is even better but there are people who do it day on and day out who deserve the recognition as well. But they need people with high profiles to bring attention to the causes, so both are important.

Nacho Figueras' comment is the comment of a besotted and admiring friend, especially of Harry's. Harry's friends are overjoyed at seeing him find a woman like Meghan who from all evidence is a soul mate who loves him dearly and who supports him enough to be willing to make huge sacrifices in order to be with him.

While there are unimaginable perks involved in being a British royal Duchess, such a life also comes with huge responsibility, OTT scrutiny, and overwhelming lack of privacy. Honestly, Meghan's personality, accomplishments, character, and approach to life fits the bill for Harry in every possible way. She's someone Prince Harry could never have dreamed he would ever find. That she's not only gorgeous and accomplished, but that she also devotedly shares his passions and interests, and is used to being in the public eye, is a bonus no one could have foreseen. So yep, Harry's loyal and loving friends are entitled to voice all the superlatives they wish, as far as I'm concerned. If Harry's & Meghan's friends feel so strongly about what they can do together, I am quite sure Meghan and Harry will be hitting them up to put their money where their mouths are, when it comes to humanitarian fundraising efforts. :lol:

Meghan obviously feels lucky and blessed to have Harry's love too. So it's all good, no matter how much envious critics carp and nose-out-of-joint observers and media tabs/paps try to ferret out negative angles and human imperfections.

Last edited:
Comments about Meghan's wedding dress going on display have been moved to Meghan's wedding dress thread.

If you wish to continue the discussion about Meghan's charity work - past and future, please take it to her Duties, roles and responsibilities thread.

Comments about the Markles have been deleted. There is a reason the family thread is closed. Please don't bring the conversation over to this, or any other thread.

I've deleted a few posts. Once again, if you wish to discuss Meghan's future engagements and duties, please take it to that thread. If you wish to discuss engagement counts among various royals, take it to the British Royal family engagement thread.

:lol: The comments on the tweet are even better! ;)

"Yo, Prince Harry been down with the swirl for a minute..." :D

Hello magazine's first 100 days picture gallery:
https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalty/02018082746893/meghan-markle-royal-milestones/3

How could they get wrong the fact that the Trooping the Colour appearance was M&H's second in public after they said 'I do'. The BP garden party honoring Prince Charles was the first appearance immediately after the royal wedding.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it has never been a thing before re 100 Days for royals lol ^ Another American import!

Oz is a beautiful name. Quite magical in fact, as well as a nod to the country the Sussexes will be visiting shortly!

I’m surprised they just didn’t go with ‘Commonwealth’ lol. Seems very transparent to me. When they go to North America, they’ll have to rename it ‘Canada’. Although I suppose ‘Oz’ can be a reference to the Wizard of.

Ingrid Seward claimed on Twitter, when the Richard Kay article first came out, that she saw Meghan playing with a black lab puppy back in May in KP’s private garden. I’m not sure if it’s normal for her to be able to see what goes on the private garden of KP, so I don’t know how accurate that is.

I’m surprised they just didn’t go with ‘Commonwealth’ lol. Seems very transparent to me. When they go to North America, they’ll have to rename it ‘Canada’. Although I suppose ‘Oz’ can be a reference to the Wizard of.

Transparent about what? They didn’t make it public that they even got a new puppy. They’ve never allowed him to be seen in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom