Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with Jane's take whatsoever. It is pretty clear just from that little snippet she blames everything on Meghan and thinks the Sussex needs to fall in line behind the Cambridges for whatever reason. No what they need to do is support their monarch who is currently Queen Elizabeth II. Also there are no "winners" in this. And that mindset is actually the problem. People would be wise to remember that William and Kate will too need their family or their reign will be short lived. Her Majesty understands that.

A global Sussex brand isn't what the monarchy is about.

Got this from another forum.

Okay, Royals are not global?

Prince Charles works and invests (possibly Duchy money) in Romania.

Is William's conservation work related to protecting endangered turtle doves, crickets, red squirrels, and hedgehogs in the UK?

Prince Harry - Invictus Games, Sentebale, landmines in Angola, HIV/AIDs work.

Eugenie works to end global trafficking and slavery.

Oh, and someone should give Anne a lecture about being the President of Save the Children from 1970 to 2016. And for doing all those international site visits for the international charity Save the Children.

Charles and Camilla recently took over as joint royal presidents of her late brother's elephant conservation charity, Elephant Family. Camilla has worked with this for years.

The recent masquerade ball at Clarence House was a fund raiser for this international charity

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't agree with Jane's take whatsoever. It is pretty clear just from that little snippet she blames everything on Meghan and thinks the Sussex needs to fall in line behind the Cambridges for whatever reason. No what they need to do is support their monarch who is currently Queen Elizabeth II. Also there are no "winners" in this. And that mindset is actually the problem. People would be wise to remember that William and Kate will too need their family or their reign will be short lived. Her Majesty understands that.

Same here...I read that and just rolled my eyes.

LaRae

As long as we're referencing the media, I found this gem today:

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry announced they will create their own foundation after splitting from Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge earlier this week. The Royal Foundation, which the brothers formed together in 2009, stated the decision to split the couples was taken to "better align their charitable activity with their new households." But royal author Tom Bower warned the Duchess of Sussex should resist attempts to follow in the footsteps of her grandfather-in-law Prince Charles and help keep the family together.

Speaking to Good Morning Britain, Mr Bower said: "There is only one career, and that is to serve the country and make us all feel there is a family who symbolises the best of Britain.

"The problem with Charles was that he kept on doing the separate stuff and cause trouble.

Speaking to Good Morning Britain, Mr Bower said: "There is only one career, and that is to serve the country and make us all feel there is a family who symbolises the best of Britain.

"The problem with Charles was that he kept on doing the separate stuff and cause trouble.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...mily-feud-break-Kate-Middleton-Prince-William

The Sussexes are a truly international brand.

@Marlo - Jane clearly mentions the reports from Omid who states his sources tell him the Sussexes want their own ‘brand’. That’s completely different from doing charity work that crosses borders.

I'd add Anne's involvement with Save The Children. Last I heard, its a global organization also. There's also Anne's membership involvement with the International Olympic Committee. The Olympic Games are definitely a global thing.

Going global isn't something new at all.

Okay, Royals are not global?

Marlo, you quoted a person who said a Sussex brand was not the point of the [British] monarchy, which is nothing at all like saying that "Royals are not global."

It is very difficult to carry on reasoned conversation when other posters deliberately misstate direct quotes from others.

Jane from Berkshire to Buckingham has her take on it. Yes it’s a Cambridge blog but people post links to ‘Mad about Meghan’ all the time.

More: What Does the Royal Foundation Split Mean?

The point that Jane makes about whether Meghan realises or will be satisfied with a supporting role in the BRF is one that was made around the time of the engagement. It is clear that she is a clever, articulate and driven individual. How she copes with playing a junior, supporting role we are starting to see ramification of. Let us hope that the initial process of adjustment and defining of their roles helps her achieve the fulfillment that she seeks.

I'd add Anne's involvement with Save The Children. Last I heard, its a global organization also. There's also Anne's membership involvement with the International Olympic Committee. The Olympic Games are definitely a global thing.

Going global isn't something new at all.

But I’d think you’d agree there is no global Princess Anne ‘brand’?

The only brand is ‘The Firm’.

But I’d think you’d agree there is no global Princess Anne ‘brand’?

The only brand is ‘The Firm’.

You are right, the only brand can and should be "The Firm". Diana was the last royal who tried to create her own brand, and we all know things did not go well in that case. I hope Harry is wise enough to know that.

At the end of the day, I don’t think it’s really about one being envious of another as both roles have pros and cons. It’s about finding your own calling. And when I say that, it’s not just about being king or not, but what you want to do with what you have. About putting your own stamp even if you have to overcome hurdles. Just like their father had to. Many would’ve thought his purpose is to be king, a role that he has waited longer than anyone else in history for, but he’s certainly done far more than waiting 70+ years.

I don't think it necessarily has anything at all to do with being envious, for either brother. I didn't use that word, and don't think it really applies here. My reference was to the fact that William's role, status, and future are on a divergent course from Harry's and that at some point in the future they won't be just two brothers, they will be the sovereign and subject, and Harry will be subordinate to, and to a degree, dependent on William. That's a lot to absorb, especially since Harry now may see how this will impact not only himself, but his wife and children. Especially if he and William are currently at odds with each other over something (unknown and unspecified).

I took a quick look at that blog, and the author doesn't seem to have a great grasp of how the royal family actually works. I'd take anything she has to say with a very, very large grain of salt. I think it exemplifies the problem with going to blogs and twitter for information about something as complex as royalty--anyone can put up a blog, tweet or post on Instagram without any real knowledge at all--as we have seen.

The royal family itself are an international brand. This need to credit the Cambridges or Sussexes really serve no purpose. Who would William and Harry be without their titled privileged? If all of this went away tomorrow I imagine both would struggle with their new reality. Kate married a prince. That is majority of her identity. The same for Meghan, though to her credit she did have a career before this. But there is no denying she went from a working actress to a global name. That is the brand.

The point that Jane makes about whether Meghan realises or will be satisfied with a supporting role in the BRF is one that was made around the time of the engagement. It is clear that she is a clever, articulate and driven individual. How she copes with playing a junior, supporting role we are starting to see ramification of. Let us hope that the initial process of adjustment and defining of their roles helps her achieve the fulfillment that she seeks.

There are two issues with this. People who preemptively take issue with a smart, articulate, and clever woman joining BRF is just insulting every woman who joined the family before this. It’s also a narrative some tabloids have promoted in the past about how it’s better if a woman joins the BRF without much of her own career before. Second issue here is people have seemed to already written a narrative around Meghan of being a bad fit before they even gave her a chance.

Last edited:

Isn't she already playing supporting? I mean truly, what has she done because from where I am she not doing anything that different than those before her.

I read Jane's piece this morning, and she vehemently lays ALL of the blame at Meghan's foot (color me surprise).

There are two issues with this. People who preemptively take issue with a smart, articulate, and clever woman joining BRF is just insulting every woman who joined the family before this. It’s also a narrative some tabloids have promoted in the past about how it’s better if a woman joins the BRF without much of her own career before. Second issue here is people have seemed to already written a narrative around Meghan of being a bad fit before they even gave her a chance.

I don't think those are the issues. The issues seem to be whether Harry and Meghan are OK with playing a supporting role, or if they want to develop their own global brand and "do their own thing" somewhat independently of the Firm.

To be fair, setting up their own Sussex Foundation does not prove any of the above and, most likely, the split was cleared by the Palace, or else it would not have gone ahead.

I don't think those are the issues. The issues seem to be whether Harry and Meghan are OK with playing a supporting role, or if they want to develop their own global brand and "do their own thing" somewhat independently of the Firm.

To be fair, setting up their own Sussex Foundation does not prove any of the above and, most likely, the split was cleared by the Palace, or else it would not have gone ahead.

The issues I was specifically talking about are with the argument that was being made against Meghan in that post I quoted.

As for the broader issue of BRF, isn’t that the case with every member of the royal family? They all contribute in their own way, and them looking good in their endeavors translates to overall good look on The Firm they all support? Supporting the Firm isn’t just about playing second to the monarch on every issue. And certainly, it’d be weird to have monarch and another member of the family on the same issue. How the world views that contribution isn’t something they have control over.

Last edited:
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I tend to think that Harry and Meghan creating their "own brand" is an impossibility. Nothing that they take on or wish to do is totally their own decision at this point and I believe that both Harry and Meghan know this. The last thing in the world Harry would want to do is let his "Granny" down. In this regard, I am leaning towards thinking that a "global Sussex brand" is a figment of the imagination penned by overeager people who want to come across as "authorities" on how things are going.

Everything they start up doing has the Queen's assent as "The Boss" or "The Chairman of the Board" so to speak with the "Firm" which *all* of the BRF represent. The Queen keeps an eagle eye on everything to do with her monarchy and if something were to be amiss or out of place or even just not a really good idea at all, she'd make her concerns known. In fact, it was the Queen, herself, that handed the Commonwealth roles to Harry and Meghan on the proverbial silver platter along with green lighting the move of the Sussex office to BP and I seriously don't believe there would be a dedicated Sussex foundation established without the green light from "The Boss".

I'm inclined to believe that HM, The Queen knows what she's doing over people who write blogs and articles expressing their own opinions without actually being "in the loop" with how things are decided and enacted and for what purposes.

The autumn is shaping up to be busier than us usual. Both foundations with essentially launch. I assume three tours close together will be occurring before Christmas. Shall be very interesting.

The autumn is shaping up to be busier than us usual. Both foundations with essentially launch. I assume three tours close together will be occurring before Christmas. Shall be very interesting.

The autumn should be exciting. The Cambridges will launch their Foundation soon, because, just with change of name, it should be ready to go. But the Sussex's foundation will probably not be ready this year. I do think it takes a long time to set up a Foundation and get it running; hiring staff, the Board, etc. and some legal stuff to put in place.

I also would love to see some royal tours. I think this time it will be the Cambridges.

I think the will likely have the groundwork of the foundation in place. Maybe not a hard launch but something especially as the early part of 2020 will be quite busy for them it seems.

The royal reporters are under the impression the Sussexes will tour right before the Cambridges. I assume likely October/November timeframe. And Charles and Camilla problem will too.

The autumn should be exciting. The Cambridges will launch their Foundation soon, because, just with change of name, it should be ready to go. But the Sussex's foundation will probably not be ready this year. I do think it takes a long time to set up a Foundation and get it running; hiring staff, the Board, etc. and some legal stuff to put in place.

I also would love to see some royal tours. I think this time it will be the Cambridges.

I've read their foundation should be up and going this fall...and it is thought their tour will be in fall.

So far no hint about when or where the Cambridges are going.

LaRae

I find it odd people seem to think this is a sudden decision and now they will be racing to make a new foundation. This isn't like changing paint colors in the office. Both the old foundation and the new one for the Sussexes will require a major change. It's not simply changing the name for the original. It's changing the staff, funding and direction.

It likely has been in the process since the decision was made to split the households. They likely held off announcing as to see how first news went. It honestly makes sense. I was expecting this announcement as soon as we were told the households split. The foundation seemed next logical step.

It's possible the work has been going on since the wedding or shortly after. It was not a split second decision.

As for Harry and Meghan not having their own brand of course they will. All royals do. The BRF is indeed a firm. The queen is not a solo figure. She is the CEO of the firm. The members are all their own departments. While the CEO and her heir are the most public profile, the entire body has its roles. The other royals aren't simply mannequins who support the queen.

All he departments have their own function and press. All Charles siblings have their own foundations and their own projects. Andrew and pitch@palace, Edward and his role with Duke if Edinburgh awards and so on.

Anyone who thinks Meghan is expected to hide in the shadows and simply be a support doesn't really get the royal role. They support the firm by promoting their country, and their causes.

The only difference Harry and Meghan are highly popular so they get a lot of publicity. Unless they hid under a rock this is not something they can help. It's not something they are actively trying to build. Harry has always had a following since he was young and Meghan simply added to that.

William may be the future king but unfortunately for some he is boring. When he eventually is king there will be more focus. Maybe when George and his siblings are older Harry will fade but for now they are rarely seen kids.

Promoting their charities is the goal of a royal. No one, not the charities or the firm would bender from this couple disappearing.

One thing we have to remember too is the person who holds the purse strings for both couples.

When The Royal Foundation was established in 2009 for William and Harry, they didn't pay their office staff out of their own pocket. Their office staff was financially funded by The Prince of Wales through his Duchy of Cornwall earnings.

Since Harry married, it was decided that the Sussex office and household would be moved to BP. I believe that Charles is still funding the Sussex office and staff but the change will occur when HM passes and Charles is King. The Sussexes then will be funded by Charles through either the Duchy of Lancaster or the Sovereign Grant (not sure here... perhaps someone knows more than me). The Cambridge's office and staff will be provided for from William's Duchy of Cornwall's income. That creates a split right there.

All of this brings up the conundrum of financing the Royal Foundation operations if it wasn't split when Charles becomes King. It'd be weird with having two separate households and offices and their financing through different means and not a totally united front as the Foundation was when it was first established in 2009. It'd be reminiscent of the office of the Prince and Princess of Wales back in the "war" days. So many places I've read how that office at the time was divided into camps and there was chaos and discord over a lot of things.

Eventually Harry and Meghan's endeavors and incentives and philanthropic work will fall to William during his reign as King but hopefully that time is a long ways off yet and things will be established and running smoothly by then.

I'm hoping this somehow makes sense. :D

It's lovely to read a positive article about Meghan for once.

She seems to take on strawmen; nobody said that the royals don't do anything global (they do; and I, for one, love that Harry and Meghan are focusing on the Commonwealth as that carves a clear direction for their roles): it's that they don't promote themselves as a 'brand' and Harry and Meghan run the risk of doing so. It must be a really hard balance to do just enough and not too much in this area.

In addition, while I do think that in general Harry and Meghan are doing a fine job; stating that 'she hasn't put a foot wrong' is putting her on a pedestal that I don't think anyone deserves. Of course, Meghan has made some mistakes... that's normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom