Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Welcome to The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's
Current Events, Part One

Commencing May 19, 2018

The previous thread can be found here.
Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited by a moderator:
First event coming up...Tuesday I think? Can't wait to see!

LaRae

It was released a few weeks ago they will honeymoon at a later time.

LaRae

It is delayed a little but they are taking one. They have an event Tuesday with Charles, Camilla and I think William.

Not William - he is in Manchester for the Commemoration of the Manchester Arena Bomb.

PoW is hosting a Garden Party for his charities and patronages at BP with Duchess of Cornwall (part of 70th birthday celebrations). Sussexes are also attending

Were there any sightings of Meghan and the Queen getting on the train Wed evening?

LaRae

Were there any sightings of Meghan and the Queen getting on the train Wed evening?

LaRae

Not sure if they were pictured, but they’re on the Royal Train now.

Ooh, that must be hard- their first night apart as a married couple.

:previous: How do we know Harry didn't sneak onto the train and stash away somewhere? He's good at being under the radar. :D

:previous: How do we know Harry didn't sneak onto the train and stash away somewhere? He's good at being under the radar. :D

I bet he is in the train dogsitting Guy!!
Save

Ireland in July, France in August ...then the tour to Oz in the fall. Plus whatever they do in between!

LaRae

There was also the rumored trip to the Netherlands to "kickoff" Invictus 2020. It seems like that should rate more than an announcement on social media.

Sussexes first tours/visit will be to Ireland and the rumoured second visit to France. I am surprised they will be going on tours within Europe before they tour Commonwealth countries. Considering how much they are really emphasized the Common Wealth connection for them.

Do you think they might be used for secondary Brexit tours? I think the heirs will still lead the main Brexit tours but maybe the Sussexes might be sent over to very strategic countries that have been previously toured where they really want to emphasize a special relationship? "seal the deal" sort of tours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sussexes first tours/visit will be to Ireland and the rumoured second visit to France. I am surprised they will be going on tours within Europe before they tour Commonwealth countries. Considering how much they are really emphasized the Common Wealth connection for them.

Do you think they might be used for secondary Brexit tours? I think the heirs will still lead the main Brexit tours but maybe the Sussexes might be sent over to very strategic countries that have been previously toured where they really want to emphasize a special relationship? "seal the deal" sort of tours.

Their first major tour is to Commonwealth countries. The shorter trips have specific reasons and are easier to plan as they are shorter. The Australian and NZ trip is going to be much longer and likely planned earlier as well, but the timing has to coincide with IG since they would already be down there for that.

And the second paragraph just didn't make sense. I wasn't aware Brexit tour is only limited to heirs.

I meant Brexit tours are generally spearheaded by Will and Kate or Charles And Camila not limited to them.

This isn't intended as hate but a genuine question has Harry done a Brexit tour before?

Well, he went to Denmark on one of those two day charm cum post- Brexit visits several months ago. He met Joachim and Queen Daisy, also members of the Danish Invictus team. As Denmark is an associate member of the EU I suppose that counts.

I meant Brexit tours are generally spearheaded by Will and Kate or Charles And Camila not limited to them.

This isn't intended as hate but a genuine question has Harry done a Brexit tour before?

What do we classify as Brexit tour? Any foreign tour since Brexit? Then yes, he's been. Although responsibilities seems to increase for royals after marriage. Likely due to the higher amount of press coverage for two people. Although Charles and Camilla was obviously the exception as Charles was conducting engagements and tours as heir long before they married.

Can someone explain how tours at the request of the Government works? Does the government say we want so and so to do this tour, or do they just say we want someone to go here and the royal household picks who to send?

I know there is a Royal Visits Committee, which reviews requests from foreign governments and takes advice from the FCO. (The Committee is within the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and is chaired by the Permanent UnderSecretary to the FCO, a senior civil servant.) Presumably a particular Royal is often chosen because of certain patronages, strong interests in the region etc.

Last edited:
I know there is a Royal Visits Committee, which reviews requests from foreign governments and takes advice from the FCO. Presumably a particular Royal is often chosen because of certain patronages, strong interests in the region etc.

In addition, it probably depends on who has time in their schedule during the desired time frame.

I suppose if invitation from the country explicitly states a certain royal as well? I think the Australian and NZ government specified the Sussexes. Or at least I think Australia did this time. I'd have to check on how NZ was worded on the press release.

Most Royals visit either Canada or Australia/NZ as their first big visit after marriage. C&D went to Australia. A&S went to Canada. E&S went to Canada as did William and Catherine.

Given IG games are in Australia this year it makes the most sense to kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited:
Sometimes the foreign policy of HM Govt really comes into it as well. In a recent article about William's visit to Israel the NY Times stated that Harry was at one stage pencilled in for it until scheduling interfered. But here is an interesting 2017 article about the planning of a visit to Israel by a Royal in light of past British Govt policy.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...s-plans-scrapped-foreign-office-boris-johnson

I think they said for the Sussex Austraila and New Zealand they are invited but Tonga and Fiji is at the request of the government if I remember the press release right. Same with Ireland it was a request by the UK government.

I believe the countries that send invites can also send some sort of notice of which Royal they would prefer to visit but in the end its up to the FCO the royals/royals visit committee and their schedule determine who is actually sent.

Correct me if I am wrong but I remember reading Denmark had requested Kate while Harry was the only with a schedule that would allow for the visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom