Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kensington Palace

Verified account

@KensingtonRoyal
Follow Follow @KensingtonRoyal
More
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will visit Birkenhead on Monday 14th January.

Their Royal Highnesses will visit a number of local organisations that support and empower groups within the local community, including @TomorrowsWomen and @TheHiveYZ.

More details on the engagements on the 14th.

Omid Scobie

Verified account

@scobie
Following Following @scobie
More
First 2019 engagement for Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan! On January 14 the couple will visit Birkenhead, Merseyside to meet local organisations that support and empower groups within the community.

Their day will be split into several appointments, starting with:
- Viewing a new sculpture in Hamilton Square commemorating the life of poet @WilfredOwen2018.
- Meeting local vets and members of the Birkenhead Institute Old Boys, which Owen belonged to.
- A walkabout.

They will then...
- Visit @TomorrowsWomen, which supports women in vulnerable circumstances, offering training courses and support groups around mental health, domestic abuse and more.
- #HarryandMeghan will meet women involved and visit the onsite cafe and “Inspiration Hall.”

Finally, Harry and Meghan will...
- Pay a visit to @TheHiveYZ (created by @OnSideYZ) where young locals have a safe place for leisure, building key skills and confidence building.
- They’ll unveil a plaque and meet some of the youth as they take part in activities and workshops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kensington Palace

Verified account

@KensingtonRoyal
Follow Follow @KensingtonRoyal
More
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will visit Birkenhead on Monday 14th January.

Their Royal Highnesses will visit a number of local organisations that support and empower groups within the local community, including @TomorrowsWomen and @TheHiveYZ.

Should be a good day out. This is the type of day that is the bread and butter of royal work.

Might it have been an opportunity to make it an over-nighter, and visit some more of the region?

Should be a good day out. This is the type of day that is the bread and butter of royal work.

Might it have been an opportunity to make it an over-nighter, and visit some more of the region?

They are doing 4 engagements that day as is, including a walkabout. I don't think that's necessary. When we are talking about overnights, the cost of such trip goes up significant as not only they have to be accommodated, but their staff and RPOs as well.

ETA: I was reading up on the area and it was noticed how close it is to Chester, which is where HM and Meghan went for their day of engagements together.

Last edited:
Good, happy to see the younger royals doing more outside of London.

Yes, that's important. I really hope that there will be more engagements for the Sussexes in counties all over England and Scotland, including Sussex!

Last edited:
Good, happy to see the younger royals doing more outside of London.

That is right, IMO too, the younger royals need to steadily add to the number of non-London and the South East engagements they regularly carry out. Perhaps a few 1-2 night trips covering a broader region, quite like how the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall do their trips to Cornwall and Wales in the summer months.

Looking forward to this engagement. This is bread and butter royal work and I am glad to see it spread out beyond London.

According to Rebecca English, they can't reveal everything in terms of engagements at this stage. So that's probably why only three engagements are listed from Omid. I'm assuming the walkabout is not considered an engagement on its own.

Interesting. Wonder what else they doing.

I’m too looking forward to these engagements.

This sounds like a interesting day full of engagements. Can't wait!

Baby Sussex obviously enjoyed the journey to the North West of England! Very lively!

I'm so glad that Harry and Meghan are going to see the memorial statue commemorating the life of one of Britain's major war poets. After writing some wonderful stuff between 1917 to 1918, he was killed only a week before Armistice Day in November 1918. No wonder the statue is representing the exhausted troops at the end of this futile conflict.

Also a walkabout meeting locals, and vets, vulnerable women and youth. A full programme. I hope the Sussexes enjoy their visit to Birkenhead. And it's not raining! Yet!

I like the crowd turnout for Meghan and Harry. It shows the bad press thrown at them, primarily Meghan, has gained no traction. Keep doing you Hazza and Tungsten.

Baby Sussex obviously enjoyed the journey to the North West of England! Very lively!

I'm so glad that Harry and Meghan are going to see the memorial statue commemorating the life of one of Britain's major war poets. After writing some wonderful stuff between 1917 to 1918, he was killed only a week before Armistice Day in November 1918. No wonder the statue is representing the exhausted troops at the end of this futile conflict.

Also a walkabout meeting locals, and vets, vulnerable women and youth. A full programme. I hope the Sussexes enjoy their visit to Birkenhead. And it's not raining! Yet!

Closer-up detail of the statue:

It's interesting that the visit to the supermarket, was unannounced. Perhaps spontaneous or last minute. Do we know how Meghan and Henry travelled to Birkenhead? I presume not by train.

Helicopter...they were an hour late leaving to head back home.

It was announced that there were a couple events that weren't released ahead of time..so planned but 'embargoed'.

LaRae

Loved the coverage of the visit today from Harry and Meghan. Especially the moment when they met a little Harry and Megan from the school :D

I am really glad the couple took the time to greet everyone. One of my biggest gripes during the tour was that it felt like they were cutting their walkabouts too short (I understand the size of the crowds and their schedules make it difficult) it great to see they were able to take their time and greet a lot of the people that came out to see them.

Last edited:
I think that meditation has really helped him and Meghan also deal with the non-stop press and noise.

:previous: I also think that the huge support that Harry and Meghan receive from the British public....the very large crowds that they attract....also go a long way in helping them deal with the media noise and negativity.

No wonder Harry and Meghan try to spend as much time as possible greeting the crowds and being one on one with the public. Their day ran an hour late because they spent so much time talking to people. The public make up their own minds after interacting with the couple!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see them so happy and very warmly welcome despite the negativity of a certain press….

Richard Palmer comments on the day in Birkenhead ie 'interesting on many levels, baby news, the dynamic between Harry and Meghan, the interest in the innovative programmes tackling poverty... He promises an article in the Express if editorial space isn't cut, lol.
It will be interesting to see what article emerges!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom