Could the princes' future wives continue working?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessNatalie

Commoner
City
LONDON
Country
United Kingdom
Could the princes future wives continue working? I think that the future Princess Harry could continue to working depending on her job or do you think she would be required to give it up once she marries into the royal family.

Could the princes future wives continue working? I think that the future Princess Harry could continue to working depending on her job or do you think she would be required to give it up once she marries into the royal family.

Depends on her job, I'd think. Catherine could well work as an arts expert for the Royal Collections besides being Princess William. Chelsy Davy is about to become a lawyer, which could be a bit tricky if she became Princess Henry. But then Cherie Blair continued to work as a lawyer even though her husbnad was the PM, so I guess it's possible.

What stage is meant with future wife? There is either a girlfried or a fiancee. Can or should a girlfriend work - yes, can or should a finacee work - no. Once there is an engagement, royal partners should concentrate on their future role as there is a lot to learn until they finally become a member of the royal family.

I'd imagine that there would be such a demand for William and his future princess to appear on royal engagements that another job just wouldn't fit into his wife's schedule. They're bound to be popular, and as the young faces of the monarchy, I'm sure the Queen will want them doing royal work in the public eye as much as possible.

Prince Harry's wife, on the other hand, might have a better chance of having another job along with some royal duties. But if they're supported by taxpayer money, they're going to need to perform significant royal work as well.

The British public and the press will simply not allow them in any capacity to work as normal people. They will find a way to undermind them. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't have worked before and be currently working.

I agree with Ella Kay. William and his wife will need to be full-time royals. However, I think Harry's wife could and should work at a job/career.

Isn't there talk of "pruning" TRF in the next generation? Even the Wessex's kids don't use their Princely titles. I can imagine Pss Bea and Eugenie having to get some sort of job.

Of course, they would have to be jobs that wouldn't attract any sort of controversy. But I can see it happening for Pss Harry and the Wales' cousins.

I don't think Harry's wife will be able to work any more than William's wife. I think that the only way she could work is if Harry had no public role, if he does then she will too and shouldn't try to have a job outside of it. Sophie tried to continue working after her marriage and everyone knows what happened there. Didn't she even had problems working while dating Edward? I remember something about a Hello photo shoot and the deal with Range Rover.

Many will I think, see her as normal and leading the lifestyle they would love to become accustomed to!:D

I don't think so - Chelsey Davy is the more "normal" type I guess. Besides dating a prince she's able to pursue her studies, have a drink every now and then and a vacation every now and then. I think Kate Middleton's lifestyle is far from being perceived as "normal" by the wider public but as usual when voicing the slightest critizism the motivation must be nothing but sheer envy ;)

I don't think so - Chelsey Davy is the more "normal" type I guess. Besides dating a prince she's able to pursue her studies, have a drink every now and then and a vacation every now and then. I think Kate Middleton's lifestyle is far from being perceived as "normal" by the wider public but as usual when voicing the slightest critizism the motivation must be nothing but sheer envy ;)
I'm sorry, but isn't Chelsy the one who grew up in a multi millionare lifestyle? That is hardly more normal than Kate's upper middle class upbringing in a detached house somewhere in the UK. Kate already went to university, remember...? That's where she met her prince. h'mm she probably is now living a more luxurious lifeltyle now than b4, and chelsy is just continuing to live the lifestyle she was used to.

BTW, William is getting more bald by the minute...:eek:

Kate & Chelsy are so different as to make comparison between them impossible. Kate seems inclined to be a well-off wife. Chelsy is more academic/career inclined, as I presume she will use her law degree for something, since going through all the work for it and not using it would be surprising to me. Neither one or the other course is "better". They are just different.

At the same time, I can understand DoM's point about how Kate, as Princess W, might have to double her efforts to counteract the negative press about her shopping/holidays. It will be interesting to see how the media wave turns in her favor, however, when the time comes for engagement. At that point, it must certainly be in the media's interest to pump her up in a favorable light.

I agree that it would be difficult if not impossible for either of the princes' wives to work outside the royal family. They would be even "higher" than Prince Edward & Sophie, who hit roadblocks even in their comparatively "lesser" position. But at the same time, it's sad to think of Chelsy Davy going through all of her studies only to be Harry's wife, and it makes me almost wish her not to be Harry's wife, because it would be sad to see her lose any part of herself. She is too cool for that. As much as I love her with Harry, sometimes I think she is too good for the life she would have as his wife.
:ermm:

Don't you find it at least a little bit unusual that a 27 year old woman, who graduated from college, doesn't have a job? All she does is party and go on hollidays. She might one day become a queen of Great Britain! Where does she get any experience?

Well, Royals have parties and holidays too, so maybe she'll be an ace hostess. :)

Point taken Warren. :D

Maybe she will have honed her "Hostess" skills to perfection if and when they marry. As to having any sort of "job" outside of being William's wife . . . not a chance! She is going to be "The Face of English Royalty in the 21st Century" and everyone is going to want a piece of her. Poor thing! :eek:

Unfortunately Harry's wife will also be similarly "unemployable" as well. Allegations of "using family connections" etc. ad nauseum would abound. There is just no way of his wife having a normal "professional" career. Even when Prince William has himself an heir they will still be too close to the Throne for anyone to consider a career outside the BRF. :bang:

Of course, if Harry does marry Chelsy and she has a degree in law there might be more than a few areas her expertise could be used within "The Firm". :rolleyes:

It's interesting that Cherie Blair still continued to practice law as a high profile QC while her husband was Prime Minister, whereas the Sovereign's third son's wife had to give up her job. Based on Sophie's experience I doubt that a royal Chelsy would have the same latitude as allowed to Cherie.

I don´t know why Kate (or Catherine) Middleton would work, she doesn´t seem to have worked more than sporadically until now. It was said that she wanted a job as a photographer but when she said she wanted to go off whenever it was convenient to have holidays etc with the Prince they weren´t interested, so if there is an engagement or marriage I have no doubt she will not work, for her marrying a Prince seems to be a full time occupation.

Don't you find it at least a little bit unusual that a 27 year old woman, who graduated from college, doesn't have a job? All she does is party and go on hollidays. She might one day become a queen of Great Britain! Where does she get any experience?
Why work if you don't have to? There is nothing magical about being tied to a set schedule and getting a paycheck. We have no idea what she is doing when not being photographed with William. One can spend a lifetime acquiring skills that are useful to a major royal role without going to the office in the morning.
A puritanical view that going to work is somehow more respectable than not is perhaps not everyone's view.

Why work if you don't have to? There is nothing magical about being tied to a set schedule and getting a paycheck. We have no idea what she is doing when not being photographed with William. One can spend a lifetime acquiring skills that are useful to a major royal role without going to the office in the morning.
A puritanical view that going to work is somehow more respectable than not is perhaps not everyone's view.

It wouldn´t matter to me but wasn´t it the Queen who would be her future grandmother-in-law as well as sovereign that mentioned it?

Only if you believe the tabloids. I have a hard time imagining the Queen talking to a reporter for the DM about her displeasure in Kate's work ethic.

It wouldn´t matter to me but wasn´t it the Queen who would be her future grandmother-in-law as well as sovereign that mentioned it?

Katie Nicholl of the Daily Mail made that claim, and it was later contradicted by another columnist at her own paper, Richard Kay. Anything written about the royals in tabloids should be taken with a huge grain of salt. IMO, even if the Queen did think that Kate should get a job, she wouldn't voice those concerns to anyone who could even potentially pass her words on to the media. HM is more tactful than that.

I was asking not stating..... that´s why I put (?). As far as working is concerned Prince William´s mother worked, as an au pair, helping with cleaning and housework and then helping in a children´s school, and she was born an aristocrat and seemed to enjoy working. Some people like to make themselves busy, others not, I think that the life of the wife of an heir to the throne is not a continuous holiday, instead of a 9 to 5 job it is more or less 24 hours a day and some of the duties to be carried out would be very boring to some.

I was asking not stating..... that´s why I put (?).

Right -- I was trying to answer your question.

Regardless of Diana's work situation before her marriage, I think it's clear that her slate of duties while she was the Princess of Wales would have precluded any other work. William's future wife, whoever she may be, will be assigned similar tasks, and surely wouldn't be able to hold down another job (unless she was superwoman!).

I honestly don't think that they will be able to have a career. Being a princess is a career in and of itself, and above and beyond that, what kind of meaningful job could they do, when they would likely be surrounded by the press all of the time.

Not to mention, that as part of the Royal Family, they represent the UK, and by working in any specific sector or company it might seem as if they arelending credibility to that sector or company, or playing favorites. On top of that, as a representative of the UK, they shouldn't be seen to be dealing in anything overly business like or political because it might appear as if the state were sanctioning it.

Further more, who would hire them? If they do a bad job, do you think anyone would want to fire a future queen or princess?

Exactly, especially as the wife of such a senior royal such as Prince William. What I was thinking about was that Kate Middleton gives the impression of waiting around for William to have a free moment to spend with her. I don´t know whether she finished her degree course at University but I think she did, well she would make a much better impression on the British people by using that degree and doing something that seems useful instead of, what seems to be constant holidays and parties. Actually if she isn´t tied down to a steady job what is the holiday from?

well Kate would need to get a full time job first :lol::lol:

No seriously it would be hard for either Kate or Chelsy to work as they will be expected to carry out duties. However it might be easier for Chelsy to work if she married Harry as he will not be the future King

Even 25years ago there would be no question about the wives of Princes working. They were ladies who were raised in families where everyone filled their time with idle entertainment and lived a carefree existence.
Nowdays with the working classes marrying into Royal families people ask and discuss the possibility of these ladies having or keeping a job they had before their marriage.
I just hope we stop breaking down more barriers and let them become wives and mothers and have them learn how to pour tea, dress well and come in and out of vehicles without creating scenes that require comment.

Well said, Odette. Couldn't their wives just carry out their official duties and raise the children? I know it sounds old fashioned, but royalty is an old fashioned business. They will have full time jobs with their royal duties as it is. Why do they need to prove something more? We should at least give them the chance to see how well they do with their jobs at "The Firm" before they are written off.

Yes, Kate did graduate. With higher grades than William, BTW.

Unfortunately I would not advise for future wives of both Princes to work because people will just capitalize on them.

I don't know about that. Aristocracy had/have their burdens as well, especially in years past. They often took responsibility for charitable work, because the working classes had to earn a living and didn't have time to do it. Before there was social action on behalf of government, either the wealthy or the church did it, or it simply didn't get done.

Even 25years ago there would be no question about the wives of Princes working. They were ladies who were raised in families where everyone filled their time with idle entertainment and lived a carefree existence.

Back
Top Bottom