The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-07-2016, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

George's wife can't have a career when he is the1st in line. Will have to be a full time Royal. Maybe able to be part time Royal like Kate early in marriage if Charles is King but not if William is King.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 02-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Harry could marry Bindi Irwin and then no one can say his wife is taking a job from someone else.

He could marry a woman that owns a animal rescue shelter.

There are a lot of career options and Harry is not married nor is he a full time royal.

He supposedly did not have security with him during his 3 months in Africa.

A spouse that continues to use her own name in a field she established prior to meeting Harry or George may be able to continue working.

As for George's spouse, she may have to quit when/if George becomes King but that could be 20 or 30 or 40 years after she marries.

I say let see if Harry becomes a full time royal before expecting a unknown spouse to work full time.
Yes, a lot of the concerns relating to a wife of Harry's seem to suppose she would be someone else's employee. A lot depends on what field she works in, and the nature of her position in that field, and I agree that if she continues to use her own name it should be easier for her. And it seems to be assumed that Harry's wife will need to become a "full time royal" if he does, but I don't see why that should necessarily be the case.

As for George, so much time will have passed, and changes taken place, before he marries that I think it's quite conceivable that his wife could have a full career and have actually retired from it before becoming Queen.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Please note that approximately twenty plus posts (i.e. who is a senior royal, CoS, out of the country CoS, the streamlining of the BRF, death of the Wales family, etc) have been deleted as off topic.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss whether or not the wives of British Princes can work outside of the BRF.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice. Any question and/or concerns should be directed towards a member of the moderation team via PM.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 08-14-2016, 10:58 PM

Prince Harry's future wife

I have a question. Will Prince Harry's wife be able to have a regular job? Let's say she's a doctor or teacher can she keep her job after they marry? Or will she take on royal responsibilities instead?
Old 08-14-2016, 11:27 PM
Heir Apparent

When you marry a senior royal, you don't simply get a husband but a career. Harry is too close to the throne, his wife will be expected to work for them. When his dad is king, he and his wife will be Andy and Fergie, back up to the heir. Could you imagine the security required if she was working at a hospital? There would also be the worry of another Sophie situation.

You want to marry into the clan and keep your job you had to marry minor. The DIL of the extended family include a pediatrician (Ulster), university fellow/professor (St Andrews), Vogue editor (Nicholas' wife), actress (Fred's wife), But then again invited to royal events and holidays, the royal spouses are private citizens with careers.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:27 PM
Serene Highness

Difficult to say in these modern times. However, the British Royal Family prefers the spouses to work for 'The Firm". As in the case of Sophie of Wessex. When William becomes King he will need lots of family help with the work load. So Harry and his wife will be expected to fill those roles as well as any other living Royals such as Princess Anne, Edward etc.
Royal Tours, openings of buildings etc. Celebrating 100 yrs of firebrigade or whatever for instance. The public expect their royals to turn up to those things.
King William of course will be kept busy with Diplomatic duties as well as ceremonial duties and tours and such. The same really as what The Queen does now.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Highly unlikely she would be able to work outside the firm as it's called. It didn't work so well for Sophie either.

My guess is a wife of Harry will be kept busy dealing with royal duties.

LaRae
Old 08-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Commoner

Yes I think she will likely be referred to as HRH The Duchess of Sussex, as Henry is expected to be made Duke Of Sussex when he marries! Hence she will be expected to work for the firm!
Old 08-16-2016, 09:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

If Harry's future wife was already an established authoress or journalist, would she have to quit such a career?
Old 08-16-2016, 09:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry's future wife

An author maybe ok to continue but no way for a journalist. Princess Michael writes books and if needed a pen name could be used.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-16-2016, 09:39 PM
Heir Apparent

That depends. If she was a known author of biographies of literary figures or fluffy little children's books about rabbits, puppies, cats etc, probably not. If she wrote racy novels full of sex, violence and murder there might be a few eyebrows raised!
Old 08-16-2016, 11:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Journalist yes. Like any other career it would require time and other commitments which with royal duties.

An author is something one can do any where/time. Certainly wouldn't be first present or former senior royal to be.

Kids books and things like history or art. Doubt any royal author erotica
-Charles: wrote 4, co-wrote 11, illustrated 1, narrated 1 Also done countless intros, forwards, prefaces and scripts for tv documentaries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Man_of_Lochnagar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Visi...f_Architecture

-Fergie has had a lot of success. 11 kids books (6 Budgie, 5 Little Red), 2 young reader, 17 help books (5 WW, 12 other), 2 on Victoria, and 9 others. 7 were before separation, 3 more before divorce.

-Philip has done 13, nature or history mainly, and countless forwards

-Princess Michael has written 3 non-fic history and 2 fiction (both historical dramas)
Old 08-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Commoner

Being a royal is work every day all day long, the notoriety is annoying at best and the paparazzi a lot of stuff to deal with. Royal engagements often pay poorly and the hours are terrible. Some days even the people are awful. Perhaps this should be better rephrased, we she work in a corporate sense.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzzanah View Post
Being a royal is work every day all day long, the notoriety is annoying at best and the paparazzi a lot of stuff to deal with. Royal engagements often pay poorly and the hours are terrible. Some days even the people are awful. Perhaps this should be better rephrased, we she work in a corporate sense.
Its hardly "work" as many people would define it. And its harldy "poorly paid". No Harry's wife will probably be required ot help with royal work...
Just as Kate has had to do some engagements...
Old 09-22-2016, 05:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

I would regard 'no pay' as 'poorly paid'. The royals don't get a salary or other payment for doing their engagements.

Their official expenses are covered either by The Sovereign Grant or from the private incomes of the Duchy of Lancaster and Duchy of Cornwall. That private income also has to pay for their private expenses.

They don't get a pay cheque each week/month/year for being royal or doing any royal 'work'. If they do nothing they get the same as if they do 500 engagements each year from The Queen or Charles' private incomes and any other trust funds or inheritances they may have.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzzanah View Post
It is not just that senior royals don't have time to pursue other careers; there is also an issue of conflict of interest. What I mean is that, if one is the monarch's consort, or the consort of the heir apparent, it would be inappropriate in my opinion for that person to own a business or work for a corporation that could benefit from the public office her husband holds.

I don't see why the same restrictions should apply though to more junior royals, including the wives of the monarch's younger sons, especially if they don't get any direct public funding , which is the case nowadays in many monarchies.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is not just that senior royals don't have time to pursue other careers; there is also an issue of conflict of interest. What I mean is that, if one is the monarch's consort, or the consort of the heir apparent, it would be inappropriate in my opinion for that person to own a business or work for a corporation that could benefit from the public office her husband holds.

I don't see why the same restrictions should apply though to more junior royals, including the wives of the monarch's younger sons, especially if they don't get any direct public funding , which is the case nowadays in many monarchies.
True, but that coudl extend to the wife of a second son, when the likelhood is that Charles will slim things down and just have himself, his wife and Will and his family and probalby Harry doing royal duties.. So Harry's wife will be one of thte chosen few and the various restrictions will apply to her. SHe'll be part of the Senor working royal family...
Harry seems to be preparing for a full time royal career, as things stand. Ie dropped out of the army and is dabbling in charity work.. not really sticking to anyting..
Old 09-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, Harry's certainly sticking to the Invictus Games, which he worked hard to help make a success this year. He was also helping out at Sentebale when he was in Africa, before helping to move those elephants in the summer. He's stuck to Sentebale since he helped start it off at 19.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:38 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Most of what we see Harry doing is all part and parcel of what will enhance his future role as a working royal. He's also been taking on more foreign tours representing his grandmother and monarch. There could be a lot more being done behind the scenes that we don't see. He gets a passion for something, he acts on that passion. Sometimes to do a "job" successfully, it takes preparation.

This is what any future wife will have to adapt to. Someone to be a partner not only with home and family, but also willing to take on what will be expected of her for the rest of her life. Although Harry's wife may have a bit more leeway than William's wife, she still will be very much a part of the senior British Royal Family and all that comes with that.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-22-2016, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is it possible Prince Harry's wife and the Duchess of Cambridge, her sister-in-law, would be paired together to do charity work?

Tags
prince harry, prince william, royal duties, working wife