Could the princes' future wives continue working?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering the kents and Gloucesters are considered senior royals and further removed then Margaret, yes Margaret was still considered a senior Royal.

The reality is if you want you want to slim down the monarchy, those who are senior will re,sin senior even longer. Margaret was less a senior Royal, but as her nieces and nephews grew up, married and had kids, she fell out of the limelight. If we go down to Charles and his sons, there will be a lot if responsibility and Spotlight for Harry. Considering it will likely be thirty years, if they get treated likevtheurvdad, before George and Charlotte have yo become full time royals,

Well since the original question was wondering whether princes' wives could continue working in the future, I believe it will 100% depend on the changing times. We might not be around to witness, but there might be a time when Kings and Queens are just titles and not the figure head of today. With so many people wanting total voting democracies, who knows what is coming in 100 years. Even now only a few have any real power in law making, etc. I personally love the Royal Families and hope they continue, but in today's society I can see a change and if that ever comes, yes all members of the titled will need jobs to exist after their vast inheritances run dry. Don't believe it will happen to England, but I can see in other countries quite easily.

The British monarchy is not even among the wealthiest. Their wealth is not money that will dry up. The Dutch own shares in shell. Alber of Monaco owns huge chunks of Monaco. The lichtensteins have vast art collections and other holdings. None of these families rely on some kind of stipend, or trust fund to survive. Along with balmoral and sandringham, the British royals have all their holdings in Cornwall and Lancaster, if uk ever went republic and they lost crown money. If the other monarchies succumbed, they would be like the many defunct ones like Prussia, living comfortably on their private estates and doing a lot of charity work. Some may get consultation jobs or such.

Harry is a major royal on paper, as is Will and Kate but they are part-time working royals.

IMO Harry is not going to feel anymore obligated to work for Charles or William than he feels to work for Queen Elizabeth. If the stars align in such a way that Harry is living in Britain and wants to carry out a slew of engagements on behalf of Charles or William, then that will happen, but if he decides he wants to live outside of Britain and/or spend most of his efforts on his private charitable pursuits like Sentebale and the Invictus Games then that will happen as well and Charles and William will have to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Let's get back on topic...whether or not a potential wife of Harry could work in the private sector.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Isn't Megan opening her own clothing brand or something? If she does that, would that be considered "okay"?

Isn't Megan opening her own clothing brand or something? If she does that, would that be considered "okay"?

I'd heard recently that Meghan's clothing line contract with Reitman's has ended, and the clothes are no longer available.

According to all reports, Meghan will likely be moving to England after filming season 7 of Suits (at which point that contract will also end, and not be renewed).

Meghan is independently wealthy at this point in her life, so once she moves to England, she will likely focus more on her humanitarian work with UN Women. As far as her working in any other paid capacity, I doubt it, since an engagement and marriage to Harry is likely being planned with a commitment between them possibly understood already.

Oh, sorry, I didn't see moderator Zonk's post ahead of Anfisa's query, to which I was responding. Oh I see I may have misread the moderator's post and the topic I responded to is the correct topic of discussion. :)

Last edited:
I'd heard recently that Meghan's clothing line contract with Reitman's has ended, and the clothes are no longer available.

According to all reports, Meghan will likely be moving to England after filming season 7 of Suits (at which point that contract will also end, and not be renewed).

Meghan is independently wealthy at this point in her life, so once she moves to England, she will likely focus more on her humanitarian work with UN Women. As far as her working in any other paid capacity, I doubt it, since an engagement and marriage to Harry is likely being planned with a commitment between them possibly understood already.

Wow, that's all news to me. :blink: If all true I am persuaded anything is possible sooner rather than later. Interesting.

well IF an engagement Is planned, no she would not be able to work in the private sector. She would have to give up her work and concentrate on some kind of charity work...

Harry is a major royal on paper, as is Will and Kate but they are part-time working royals.

IMO Harry is not going to feel anymore obligated to work for Charles or William than he feels to work for Queen Elizabeth. If the stars align in such a way that Harry is living in Britain and wants to carry out a slew of engagements on behalf of Charles or William, then that will happen, but if he decides he wants to live outside of Britain and/or spend most of his efforts on his private charitable pursuits like Sentebale and the Invictus Games then that will happen as well and Charles and William will have to look elsewhere.

Like his brother there is no need for him to be full time right now. There are close to two dozen full time royals. But if Charles has his way to slim down the monarchy, yes he will be needed more. William will be prince of Wales and everything that goes with that. Their foundation will be Harry's.

You do realize his work with Invictus, walking with the wounded and senteble are considered royal work not private activities right? Just like William and tusk.

yes that's right, in that at the moment neither Will nor harry are full timers, but they are moving towards it. And I think that C will slim it down, and then Harry will be needed. and as C supports him, I think he will have to step up.

Like his brother there is no need for him to be full time right now. There are close to two dozen full time royals. But if Charles has his way to slim down the monarchy, yes he will be needed more. William will be prince of Wales and everything that goes with that. Their foundation will be Harry's.

You do realize his work with Invictus, walking with the wounded and senteble are considered royal work not private activities right? Just like William and tusk.
Not all of Harry's past work with Sentebale and the Invictus Games got counted in the court circular.

Of course Harry will be needed more "in due time" which is code for as older members die off and will somewhat soften my initial comment that "Harry is not going to feel anymore obligated to work for Charles or William than he feels to work for Queen Elizabeth" but I still think if Harry has other interests that he wants to pursue then he will do just that even if it interferes with his royal work and Charles and William will have to find other resources.

Last edited:
There aren't any other resources. Charles is very clear that the York's aren't going to be used in any official capacity so in William's generation it will be Harry and his spouse to add to William and Kate. That is 4 people to replace the 6 in the generation above (Charles, Camilla, Andrew, Edward, Sophie and Anne) and the 6 in the generation above that (Elizabeth, Philip, Edward, Alexandra, Richard and Birgitte).

Harry usually disappears for about 3 months each year to work in Africa and I don't see that stopping any time soon, if ever.

As for the argument that not all Harry's work with Invictus or Sentebele counts in the CC - that is the same for all royals. They have many meetings, briefings etc before the official work and that side of things don't get counted for anyone. It isn't just for Harry.

As for whether Harry's wife could continue to work in private industry - probably not - as they would be seen to be using their royal connections to promote their own endeavours and that is a no-no. Look at the criticism of the Middleton's whenever they do any sort of 'royal related' theme for their party business. They are condemned as benefiting from Kate's position even though every other party business is also doing royal related themes at the same time. Zara and Peter are often criticised for using their royal links to promote their businesses as well so it would be even worse for the wife of a prince of the realm to be doing so if only cousins or in-laws are condemned.

Last edited:
I would say that the asnwer would be quite a given. Now William is married, but of course whoever he had ended up marrying, that spouse would have had to give up any career or job. And the same applies to Harry's future wife.

As time passes and Charles becomes king, both William and Harry are going to be finding themselves in the royal limelight from dawn until dusk as their royal lives become even more than a full time job. There will be no room for their consorts to do anything less than what their husbands are doing. Its like leaving a place of employment in a certain field and signing on for 48 hour days at another place. They will be encouraged to find their own passions but under the strict guidelines that they represent and embody crown and country wherever they go and with whatever they do.

The conundrum that all the senior royals working for the "Firm" have had, for the most part, is to find a consort that they not only loved and had a stable relationship with but also to find a consort that is willing to take on the other 24 hours in that 48 hour day and work as a team with their partner.

Its not really a case of "love me, love my dog" but rather "love me, love the entire kennel". The right consort would be willing (and maybe even eager) to take on royal life and all its ins and outs and want to be part of a team. It involves sacrificing some personal freedoms but if the rewards of what can be accomplished through the "royal stage" is appealing enough, those sacrifices will be made gladly.

There aren't any other resources. Charles is very clear that the York's aren't going to be used in any official capacity so in William's generation it will be Harry and his spouse to add to William and Kate. That is 4 people to replace the 6 in the generation above (Charles, Camilla, Andrew, Edward, Sophie and Anne) and the 6 in the generation above that (Elizabeth, Philip, Edward, Alexandra, Richard and Birgitte).

Harry usually disappears for about 3 months each year to work in Africa and I don't see that stopping any time soon, if ever.

As for the argument that not all Harry's work with Invictus or Sentebele counts in the CC - that is the same for all royals. They have many meetings, briefings etc before the official work and that side of things don't get counted for anyone. It isn't just for Harry.

As for whether Harry's wife could continue to work in private industry - probably not - as they would be seen to be using their royal connections to promote their own endeavours and that is a no-no. Look at the criticism of the Middleton's whenever they do any sort of 'royal related' theme for their party business. They are condemned as benefiting from Kate's position even though every other party business is also doing royal related themes at the same time. Zara and Peter are often criticised for using their royal links to promote their businesses as well so it would be even worse for the wife of a prince of the realm to be doing so if only cousins or in-laws are condemned.
I was not stating or implying that Harry is the only royal who does work that is not counted in the court circular.

When Charles ascends the throne he will have bench strength in the form of three siblings, a sister-in-law, two adult children and one, possibly two, daughters-in-law and one or more cousins. William will not have that same bench strength.

My prediction is that those who are whinging that lower-ranked royals need to get real jobs will be whinging louder and harder when it dawns on them that the gameplan is to downsize the number of working royals but keep the same funding scheme. In the meanwhile those lower-ranked royals will be living off inheritances that are rooted in royal duchy income.

The hope has been that Harry's wife will be a working royal and if he marries Meghan Markle I see her joining the Firm, so they will luck out on that front, but if Harry fell in love with a military officer, an entrepreneur, an executive at a charity, then the BRF may have had to deal with a Harry's wife not being able to take on full-time duties.

Again if Harry marries Meghan, she will become a working royal but I also predict that in addition to Harry's trips to Africa, there will be lengthy stays in North America to accommodate any yearnings Meghan may have to spend time with her family and friends and to expose their children to their mother's family and culture.

Do you think it will be "okay" for a prince's wife to be an entrepreneur with her own commercial enterprise?

No, I don't. Reason being that as a Princess of the UK, any commercial endeavor would not be solely lending her name to something but also giving the illusion that whatever the product is, it is endorsed by the BRF. It just won't work.

As a wife, she could however set up a charitable foundation or work for a certain issue such as acne and call it the Princess X Foundation for Dermatological Health.

Just nothing commercial.

No, I don't. Reason being that as a Princess of the UK, any commercial endeavor would not be solely lending her name to something but also giving the illusion that whatever the product is, it is endorsed by the BRF. It just won't work.

As a wife, she could however set up a charitable foundation or work for a certain issue such as acne and call it the Princess X Foundation for Dermatological Health.

Just nothing commercial.

What if she were a doctor or a surgeon with the NHS? I think those are very respectable and selfless careers. Maybe even a stock broker.

Last edited:
Definitely not a stock broker or anything that involves money.

Doctors and surgeons often have a say in budgets. Imagine the outcry - two hospitals vying for extra funding and it goes to the hospital where the royal is working - immediately it will be assumed that it was because of the royal.

It doesn't matter what the career is - any career whereby the royal concerned may have influence, even by implication, over money from the government or possibly corrupt individuals will not be acceptable and so it is not acceptable.

The press had a field day with Sophie as a PR person with her own company and Edward and his attempts in film and documentary making. That example basically says princes and wives of princes can't work outside the firm.

Doctors and surgeons often have a say in budgets. Imagine the outcry - two hospitals vying for extra funding and it goes to the hospital where the royal is working - immediately it will be assumed that it was because of the royal.

It doesn't matter what the career is - any career whereby the royal concerned may have influence, even by implication, over money from the government or possibly corrupt individuals will not be acceptable and so it is not acceptable.

The press had a field day with Sophie as a PR person with her own company and Edward and his attempts in film and documentary making. That example basically says princes and wives of princes can't work outside the firm.

I guess you're right, but Prince William was a helicopter pilot, so...

I definitely do think that direct heirs to the throne and their wives should not work, but spares like Harry and the York girls should pursue a career. It would really boost the public's perception of the monarchy (especially people with republican sentiments). Just my two cents though.

Last edited:
I guess you're right, but Prince William was a helicopter pilot, so...

I definitely do think that direct heirs to the throne and their wives should not work, but spares like Harry and the York girls should pursue a career. It would really boost the public's perception of the monarchy (especially people with republican sentiments). Just my two cents though.

It was also stated outright before he even started flying for EAAA that his paycheck would be donated to charity. He does not make any kind of money for the work he does there.

Harry and his future wife (whomever she may be), I think, are pretty well slated to take on full time royal duties. Beatrice and Eugenie both have pursued their own interests in the private sector along with their own personal charities and patronages.

William works as a pilot for a company that is hired by a charity. The air ambulances run on donations. They don't get money from the government. A doctor at a NHS hospital is funded by the government. Probably the only career a royal female spouse can is is be in the military. They can't be out trying to make money when they are living rent free in public palaces.

William works as a pilot for a company that is hired by a charity. The air ambulances run on donations. They don't get money from the government. A doctor at a NHS hospital is funded by the government. Probably the only career a royal female spouse can is is be in the military. They can't be out trying to make money when they are living rent free in public palaces.

Better to be paying taxes while living rent free in public palaces, which contribute to the upkeep of those palaces :p

Last edited:
They are paying taxes. They pay taxes on their investments. They pay inheritance tax other than when it's sovereign to sovereign.

They are paying taxes. They pay taxes on their investments. They pay inheritance tax other than when it's sovereign to sovereign.

Also, The Queen and Charles also voluntarily pay income tax I believe.

True. Charles starting voluntarily paying tax on the income of the Duchy of Cornwall when he took control of the estate. He paid at 50% until marrying Diana when he reduced it to 25% due to the expenses of having a wife.

In 1992 The Queen was forced to begin paying taxes after the Windsor fire and the outcry about the public having the pay for the repairs so she was embarrassed into paying taxes at the same rate as everyone else on the Duchy of Lancaster income and her private wealth and Charles also agree to pay the going rate rather than a flat rate.

Until George VI monarchs and other royals paid tax on their income the same as everyone else but George VI negotiated the tax free status in order to pay Edward VIII for Sandringham and Balmoral and other expense associated with becoming King without having built up a fortune as heir apparent from the Duchy of Cornwall.

While I agree that Prince Harry's future wife is unlikely to have a career outside of her Royal duties, I think if Harry fell madly in love with some one who wanted to continue a career accomodations would be made.
George VI had a sister and 3 brothers. David after the abdication was a no go for Royal duties and George died young.
Charles has a sister and 2 brothers.
George VI had 2 children - Elizabeth became Queen. Margaret married Snowden who continued his photography business after their marriage.
Charles has 2 children - William will become King. Harry's spouse could, like Snowden, continue a career, IMO.

Proof of this is in all the stories flying about that EAAA got the first H145 due to William, despite the charity stating that they intended to acquire one in an annual report issued 2 years before William quit the SAR.

If Harry's future wife worked for the NHS in any capacity she could well get caught up in controversies in the media about its shortcomings, funding etc. If she was a medical professional working in a private hospital or clinic and they secured some cutting edge equipment the press would leap on it, questioning how they received it, who were the donors etc. British tabloids are appalling and her working life could well be made miserable.

Back
Top Bottom