The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 PM
Courtier

Interesting. Right now there is 12 full-time royals, and 4 part-time royals if you count Tim, 5 when/if Harry marries. That is a lot of royals. I think Charles and the government would like to see about 8 during his reign though they won’t force anyone to retire, and William and Catherine will be promoted long before Harry. I have trouble imagining 8 or more royals dying over the next 10 years to free up space for Harry unless there’s some sort of tragedy like a balcony collapse during Trooping. There isn’t room for Harry. If we assume all the royals live to around their mid-80’s, or in some cases longer, Harry and his wife won’t be needed until William’s reign.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Heir Apparent

If Charles intends, as it seems he does, for his own family to be in the limelight in the next reign then that will include his sons and daughter in law(s). We saw the order on the Jubilee barge and Jubilee balcony appearances. Palmer was told by the Palace contacts only very recently that the Royal family is going to be streamlined and it's not known whether Charles's siblings will continue to work full time for 'the Firm'.

Harry will be needed when Charles will become King and will continue to be needed into William's reign. The elderly cousins of the Queen will be pensioned off I think in the next few years. We don't know what Charles's plans are for his siblings' futures in the Royal family, but the idea that he will allow them to shine at the centre of the Royal family at the expense of his own son will not be happening in my view.

It certainly won't be the case that Harry will be warehoused as a full time Royal until his nephew George becomes full time as well. How do we know when that will be? If George follows his father's path he may be in his mid 30's before that happens. Charlotte may not wish to take on Royal duties, may have a career that she loves, might marry early and have several children, we don't know what's going to happen.

I've always said that I can't see Harry's wife working in private business in Britain. There are too many imponderables, bosses wanting doors opened for the firm, press intrusion, problems with security, possible promotions, etc etc.

If she was an actress or dancer she would have to retire. Too many snide remarks about "HRH got this role/part because...." The BRF would regard such a career as problematic as well. Plus she will be needed in the new streamlined Royal family, as would any business woman. Things have progressed in the BRF but not to the extent of the King's daughter in law working in private enterprise. The woman concerned will make that decision when she marries, and really, Royal life is what the person makes of it.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
that last piece about a young female royal is sadly true.

But a young wife wont have to fill that role - Princess Charlotte has that chance.

Unless the world turns on its axis and we all become reasonable, even tempered and charitable human beings, the UK press will continue to be the animal it currently is.

So much as it would be appropriate for a royal woman to continue to work once she works the BRF, it wont happen. There is no half way house, although William is trying to forge that at the moment (and how many of you complain about that!). The only hope is if they do charitable work but that means the charity has to be 100% beyond reproach. and that includes not asking "friends" for help - all accounted for.

Frankly Id pack up and go home. The press would have a story and Id have a bit of a life (not all of a life because the press would track me forever)
I agree that it will continue to be practically impossible for someone who marries in to the core royal family to carry on with their career. Sadly, this is especially true for the women.

That is, unless the woman's career happens to be the 0.1% of careers that would be the perfect match for royal life - director of a non profit or an especially feel good charity might cut it, but even then the finance side of things would need to be immaculate; heaven forbid the non profit's accountants miscalculated their taxes or they employed someone who turned out to be unsavoury in any way!
Old 02-06-2016, 10:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Could the princes' future wives continue working?

Even as director of a charity, the Royal spouse could be accused of trading access for monetary donations. Anything that requires money for services such as PR, event planning, private law, etc would probably be out. The military would be a okay profession.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-07-2016, 01:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, I believe that Harry won't be warehoused and, along with William and Kate, he will be a full time Royal in his father's reign, and in the Queen's last years his duties will be increased. (As for Princess Alexandra and the Duke of Kent, both have had serious health problems in recent years, so it's not me suggesting jettisoning them, but may be themselves retiring.)

We'll see who is correct. You have your opinion and I have mine and I won't be changing my mind!

And yes, I distinctly remember Andrew when young, and I can remember Margaret as a young and single woman. I've been a Royal watcher for a very long time, both in Britain and Australia. I'll just observe too, that Charles has had only two children to bring into Royal life. The Queen had four, and that makes a great difference.

Anyway, this is not the thread to debate this, as this is about Royal spouses' careers. There are threads devoted to Charles's reign. I don't believe that Harry's wife will be allowed to have a full time private career, as she will be needed in the BRF and have posted on that.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well, I believe that Harry won't be warehoused and, along with William and Kate, he will be a full time Royal in his father's reign, and in the Queen's last years his duties will be increased. (As for Princess Alexandra and the Duke of Kent, both have had serious health problems in recent years, so it's not me suggesting jettisoning them, but may be themselves retiring.)

We'll see who is correct. You have your opinion and I have mine and I won't be changing my mind!

And yes, I distinctly remember Andrew when young, and I can remember Margaret as a young and single woman. I've been a Royal watcher for a very long time, both in Britain and Australia. I'll just observe too, that Charles has had only two children to bring into Royal life. The Queen had four, and that makes a great difference.

Anyway, this is not the thread to debate this, as this is about Royal spouses' careers. There are threads devoted to Charles's reign. I don't believe that Harry's wife will be allowed to have a full time private career, as she will be needed in the BRF and have posted on that.
It doesn't make a difference when Charles' siblings will be living longer than earlier generations. Hence, the overflow of royals. When William is King, Anne-Andrew-Edward-Sophie, will likely still be doing duties. Sophie is closer in age to Catherine than she is to Camilla. Remember that press story that says Lady Louise calls William her "uncle" even though he's her cousin. That says a lot.

I think this topic is very relevant to Harry's wife's career. If she isn't needed by the firm as a full-time royal then of course she will have more opportunity to have a career. The topics go hand in hand. That's like saying debating the Queen's health isn't relevant to when Charles could become King.

I also won't be changing my mind.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:43 AM
Heir Apparent

We don't know when William will come to the throne, just as we don't know how long Charles's siblings will live.

We were swinging way away in this debate from anything to do with Harry's future wife's career. If Harry's going to be such a minor Royal according to you, then why are we all debating whether Harry's wife has a possible career in business etc? You've made up your mind both he and she will be minor royals, (in spite of Harry being a king's son and another King's sole brother) working away from the BRF, so probably the thread should be closed!
Old 02-07-2016, 02:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
We don't know when William will come to the throne, just as we don't know how long Charles's siblings will live.

We were swinging way away in this debate from anything to do with Harry's future wife's career. If Harry's going to be such a minor Royal according to you then why are we all debating the possible career of Harry's future wife. You've made up your mind both he and she will be working away from the BRF, so probably the thread should be closed!
The thread is named "Could the princes' future wives continue working?'. If Harry and his wife aren't needed by the firm for another 20-25 years, then why can't his wife continue working? That's like saying to Beatrice and Eugenie, "ladies, the firm doesn't need you, at least not for a very long time, but you can't continue working your private-sector jobs, either!". That would be silly.
If Harry's wife wants to work - let her, if she wants to be a stay-at-home mom - let her, if she wants to be a socialite - let her. You're right that I've already decided she "can" work if she wants too. The bigger question for me is,"will" she?
Old 02-07-2016, 04:26 AM
Heir Apparent

In the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg there are plenty of HI&RH's, HRH's, HH's and HSH's who have to earn their own money. In former monarchies as France, Germany and Italy, there are a plenty of HI&RH's, HRH's, HH's and HSH's who have to earn their own money as well. So the answer on the question will be: yes, future spouses to royals can earn their own money.

Also in the UK we have seen this: see Sir Angus Ogilvy, the spouse of HRH Princess Alexandra who was a businessman. We have seen the Earl of Snowdon, the spouse of HRH The Princess Margaret, who was (and is) a professional photographer, and architectural designer and even an inventor (owning patents). We have seen it with HRH Princess Michael of Kent who is an author and an interior designer. The Earl of Harewood, spouse of HRH The Princess Mary, The Princess Royal was -beside exploiting his large estate- also an entrepreneur, investor and local councillor. HRH The Prince George, The Duke of Kent worked as a civil servant at the Foreign Office and the Home Office.

The idea that Princes and Princesses do nothing and that money automatically grows upon them is just a myth.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:27 AM
Heir Apparent

The vast number of the people you pointed to, Duc, were males who married royal women who were not in near direct line to the succession in the BRF. I know that Kings sons and grandsons like the Duke of Kent and William of Gloucester had careers. So have William and Harry.

We have already discussed, however, with the British tabloid press the way it is, and the way the public views senior members of the Royal family, how very difficult it would be for the married-in wife of a senior Royal to make a living in the private sector. Sophie was a perfect example. The attitude towards this sort of employment for the wives of senior royals is not the same in Britain as it is in continental Europe. That may be regrettable, but it just isn't.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope that in 2016, with the overwhelming majority of British women being active to earn their own independent income, that it will not be such a drama when the spouse of a senior royal wants to pursue an own career.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:00 AM
Courtier

Sophie didn’t get into trouble because she had a job. She got into trouble because she wasn’t *good* at her job. She was losing money, and she tried to lure in clients with royal chit-chat and she got caught. If Harry’s wife is good at her job, and she doesn’t hemorrhage money at every turn, then she’ll be fine. The press will probably write a few snarky articles in the beginning saying Princess Harry shunned the royal family, but after that I think they will be complimentary. They’ll say she’s a modern woman who could teach those royals a thing or two.

It’s quite debatable to call Harry a senior royal, especially when his career path is still so up in the air. I don’t consider the Cambridges senior royals at the moment, either.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
[...]

It’s quite debatable to call Harry a senior royal, especially when his career path is still so up in the air. I don’t consider the Cambridges senior royals at the moment, either.
In my personal view senior royals are the children to a Sovereign or a (future) Heir and their eventual spouses:

Hors Categorie
HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh (Sovereign)
TRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall (Heir)
TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (future Heir)

Senior royals
HRH The Princess Royal and Vice-Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence (child of Sovereign)
HRH The Duke of York (child of Sovereign)
TRH The Earl and Countess of Wessex (child of Sovereign)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales (child of Heir)
HRH Prince George of Cambridge (child of future Heir)
HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge (child of future Heir)

So in my book Prince Harry for sure is a most senior royal:
Grandson of HM Queen Elizabeth II
Son of HM King Charles III
Brother of HM King William V
Uncle of HM King George VII

Was he not a Prince Harry but a Princess Henrietta, we would have seen him alike a sort of Princess Margaret, with her status illustrated by the fleet of Royal Family Orders pinned on her robe: picture.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:55 AM
Courtier

When I think senior royals I think HM, DoE, PoW, and DoC. The rest are minor royals.

If we classify all the children of monarchs as senior royals then we won’t have minor royals in the future. Because I think gone are the days where male-line grandchildren of younger sons will use HRH’s. I believe Harry will follow Edward’s lead and have his children be styled as children of a peer. And Charlotte’s children won’t have titles unless she marries a man with one in his own right.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
When I think senior royals I think HM, DoE, PoW, and DoC. The rest are minor royals.

If we classify all the children of monarchs as senior royals then we won’t have minor royals in the future. Because I think gone are the days where male-line grandchildren of younger sons will use HRH’s. I believe Harry will follow Edward’s lead and have his children be styled as children of a peer. And Charlotte’s children won’t have titles unless she marries a man with one in his own right.
I doubt that the King of Spain, the Grand-Duke of Luxembourg, the King of Sweden, the Queen of Denmark, or any British nobleman would treat a son of King Charles III, a brother of King William V as "minor royal"...

Old 02-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Though it may be possible for the next generation, (George's wife), to continue a career in a private capacity, I don't believe it would be viable for Harry's spouse.

Let's say she worked for a British pharmaceutical company in some capacity. If that company gained any advantage in the marketplace the British press would say it was because of her. If she was promoted (due to her own diligence) it would be said that it was because of the HRH.

The security at such a firm would be a problem. Knowing a Royal was working there, some bomb threats could be made by disturbed people just to enjoy the headlines. Fellow workers could very well object to a couple of RPO's being stationed on the premises every day. Reporters could grill fellow workers about Harry's wife, even attempting working undercover as new staff to get a story. I just don't believe employment in the private sector would be viable at all
Old 02-07-2016, 06:00 PM
Nobility

I think that depends on how important it is for Harry's hypothetical wife to continue working at her job and if her employer is willing to make accommodations. The obstacles you are mentioning also apply to William as an air ambulance pilot.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

You make a good point about the obstacles applying to William's employment.

It seems to me that everyone who marries a Royal is expected to make significant sacrifices for the privilege, and women are expected to be prepared to make a greater sacrifice by reason of their gender. The marrying-in party seems to only have a hope of keeping their job if they are in one of the services, but I bet a female officer would be put under enormous pressure to resign. This irks me something fearsome. It is my none-too-secret desire that Harry will choose to marry a career pilot with a short hair cut who shuns high heels and makeup and who insists on wearing her uniform at her wedding.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Though it may be possible for the next generation, (George's wife), to continue a career in a private capacity, I don't believe it would be viable for Harry's spouse.

Let's say she worked for a British pharmaceutical company in some capacity. If that company gained any advantage in the marketplace the British press would say it was because of her. If she was promoted (due to her own diligence) it would be said that it was because of the HRH.

The security at such a firm would be a problem. Knowing a Royal was working there, some bomb threats could be made by disturbed people just to enjoy the headlines. Fellow workers could very well object to a couple of RPO's being stationed on the premises every day. Reporters could grill fellow workers about Harry's wife, even attempting working undercover as new staff to get a story. I just don't believe employment in the private sector would be viable at all
George’s wife will be a Queen. She is not comparable to Princess Harry. Charlotte’s husband is a good comparison. I would assume that he will work outside the royal family.

As for her getting work “advantages”, who cares? The tabloid press has whined about Peter’s firm getting the Queen's 90th birthday party, that hasn’t stopped him. The tabloid press has whined about Zara getting BBC Sport personality of the Year, and getting several endorsement deals despite being in a low-profile sport, and despite not being as talented as some of her teammates(Mary King, William Fox-Pitt), yet she continues on. The tabloid press has whined about Beatrice getting hard-fought financial jobs despite not having a degree in finance, yet she continues on. The tabloid press has snarked about Eugenie getting employed in NYC by one of her best friends, but that didn’t stop her. The press noted that Harry was given the opportunity to fly Apache helicopters even though he had low entry grades that would normally disqualify him, that didn’t stop him. William flies helicopters even though his eyesight would normally have disqualified him for the RAF, that didn’t stop him. Edward attended Cambridge even though his grades weren’t good enough to be accepted, Philip called the admittance a royal “miracle”, that didn’t stop him. Princess Harry will get some tabloid whining in the beginning , then the tabloids will move on. She shouldn’t be held to higher standard than born royals who embrace all the advantages thrown their way.

I don’t think security will be a big problem. It would cost security more to have her be a full-time royal, where they have to check out the crowds at all her engagements at random places. If security can clear George’s school (a future king!), they can clear the workplace of a woman married to a younger son of a King.

That’s if she wants to work. Harry is independently wealthy, and Charles/William will continue to fund Harry’s luxurious life. It’s not like she’ll need to worry about paying the rent. If her and Harry have children she might wish to stay home with them. Or she and Harry might fall in love because of their mutual passion for traveling. Then she and him can spend a good chunk of time exploring the world. Maybe, even take up a part-time home in Africa.

With the abundance of working royals, Harry and his wife have the chance to seize their non-royal passions and live life to the fullest. As long as the carry-out part-time duties, they’ll be doing their fair share.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Royal Highness

Harry could marry Bindi Irwin and then no one can say his wife is taking a job from someone else.

He could marry a woman that owns a animal rescue shelter.

There are a lot of career options and Harry is not married nor is he a full time royal.

He supposedly did not have security with him during his 3 months in Africa.

A spouse that continues to use her own name in a field she established prior to meeting Harry or George may be able to continue working.

As for George's spouse, she may have to quit when/if George becomes King but that could be 20 or 30 or 40 years after she marries.

I say let see if Harry becomes a full time royal before expecting a unknown spouse to work full time.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, royal duties, working wife