The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that it has to do with when women in the 60s and 70s wanted more financial independence. Things have evolved from the point of saying that a woman has a right to work and have a career to the point where a woman is expected to have a career. So if a woman doesn't have a job these days--no matter how accomplished she is or how fulfilled she feels personally--she's seen as a lazy layabout. It's not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzysamos View Post
I'm wondering what has made society different now where we DEMAND that a woman work or she apparently doesn't deserve the oxygen she breathes?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Courtier

I think it'd be tough for William's wife to have a normal career...Harry's would probably be fine.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Gentry

I think no one mentioned this so sorry if it has been mentioned. Chelsea is going to become an attorney, with that degree she can do many types of things. She could still work part time with her own firm and still do royal events. She could also use her skills for royal events and especially Harry's charities. Kate on the other hand... I don't know.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Royal Highness

Good luck to Chelsy if she does practice law. Really! A glimps at the career of Cherie Blair during her years at No. 10 would give a taste. Daily Mail and etc will be tickled pink at the thought of picking over her cases and clients, and making all sorts of headlines over how any one of them would taint Chelsy's character and in extension the Royal Family, blah-blah-blah. None of it has to be true, of course.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter62986 View Post
Kate on the other hand... I don't know.
If Kate and William do get married, she's going to automatically have a full-time job on her hands being Princess William.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 09-14-2015, 02:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Why not?

Why does the wife have to give up her own ambitions etc when marrying into the BRF?

Why not change the entire structure and allow the royals to have a life, except for the monarch, who is after all the only one with any constitutional role?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the way that Charles and then later William is going to move the royal family. It made sense to have a lot of royals when the empire and commonwealth was so large AND travelling took so long but now it is possible to fly to the other side of the world, undertake an engagement or two and be back in a couple of days e.g. Harry and the Naval Review in Sydney.

That would mean that one or two royals could do all the really important stuff and the fluff stuff that fills most of the CC now could be left to the local mayor or whomever and also that the spouses could actually have real lives instead of having to give up their dreams simply because of whom they happened to fall in love with.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:33 AM
Serene Highness

So basically two working royals who don't do a whole lot and the rest doing whatever they want with their lives?
Old 09-14-2015, 02:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Why not? Why does the wife have to give up her own ambitions etc when marrying into the BRF?
Pretty medieval. for sure.

Quote:
Why not change the entire structure and allow the royals to have a life, except for the monarch, who is after all the only one with any constitutional role?
It seems to me that this is the path the monarchy will take. It must.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the way that Charles and then later William is going to move the royal family. It made sense to have a lot of royals when the empire and commonwealth was so large AND travelling took so long but now it is possible to fly to the other side of the world, undertake an engagement or two and be back in a couple of days e.g. Harry and the Naval Review in Sydney.
Yep.

Quote:
That would mean that one or two royals could do all the really important stuff and the fluff stuff that fills most of the CC now could be left to the local mayor or whomever and also that the spouses could actually have real lives instead of having to give up their dreams simply because of whom they happened to fall in love with.
Exactly so, but I am not British and I am not a subject of the monarch. Not my look-out. It just seems reasonable given the proclivities of the current generation of young royals (William and Harry). Given what I have read, I think this path was being laid down decades ago. Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
So basically two working royals who don't do a whole lot and the rest doing whatever they want with their lives?
Why not? Who 'don't do a lot' vis-a-vis royal duties, that is, thus leaving them free to follow a private life. Seems the only sane path to take for the sake of the people involved, don't you think?
Old 09-14-2015, 03:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Basically two working royals doing around 600 engagements each per year while the others have real jobs and not royal related activities.

When you look at the sorts of things that fills most of the diaries they are really not necessary but simply opening hospital wings, visiting this and that place, watching sport events etc. Royals who wanted to do charity work could still do that - as can people in the real world.

Only the monarch has to do anything official such as reading the red boxes, meeting the PM, Opening Parliament, dissolving parliament, swearing in the PM and cabinet and signing legislation etc. Really no need for the rest of them at all.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:12 AM
Courtier

I am of the impression that Henry wants a wife, not a live in companion. A wife who will accompany him on royal duties I am sure. And he wants to have children. At least that is what his interviews have lead me to believe.

Not so sure if Chelsy would be content with that. Clearly full time law is no longer her passion. What is? No interviews, no idea.

It may be that she is ready to be a Mum and she feels that and royal duties will be plenty for quite some time.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
I am of the impression that Henry wants a wife, not a live in companion. A wife who will accompany him on royal duties I am sure. And he wants to have children. At least that is what his interviews have lead me to believe.

Not so sure if Chelsy would be content with that. Clearly full time law is no longer her passion. What is? No interviews, no idea.

It may be that she is ready to be a Mum and she feels that and royal duties will be plenty for quite some time.
I don't understand the distinction you are drawing between wife and live-in companion. "Royal duties" is just a job. Most people's spouses don't tag along with them when they do their jobs, and many couples have different and time-consuming careers yet are very much couple and raise children together.

I don't know what Chelsy's current career plans are, but the skills she has acquired in the study and practise of law will have equipped her for lots of different occupations. She may well have her sights set on a role with some sort of humanitarian foundation. Even if she doesn't have an independent career, as Harry's spouse she might do the sort of stuff Queen Rania does. Rania has proven that the spouse of a Royal - even a Queen consort - can involve herself heavily and seriously in work which is far more significant than just cutting ribbons and turning up looking pretty and smiling for photo ops at fancy dinners on her husband's arm.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I don't understand the distinction you are drawing between wife and live-in companion. "Royal duties" is just a job. Most people's spouses don't tag along with them when they do their jobs, and many couples have different and time-consuming careers yet are very much couple and raise children together.

I don't know what Chelsy's current career plans are, but the skills she has acquired in the study and practise of law will have equipped her for lots of different occupations. She may well have her sights set on a role with some sort of humanitarian foundation. Even if she doesn't have an independent career, as Harry's spouse she might do the sort of stuff Queen Rania does. Rania has proven that the spouse of a Royal - even a Queen consort - can involve herself heavily and seriously in work which is far more significant than just cutting ribbons and turning up looking pretty and smiling for photo ops at fancy dinners on her husband's arm.
I am making no distinction, but we are talking about the English RF right?
Old 09-14-2015, 03:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Chelsy reputedly is planning a line of South African inspired jewellery to be released in the next few months.

There are certain disadvantages to wives working in the BRF. For instance, a (married-in) barrister might have clients clamouring for her to fight their cases, causing jealousy within the law firm. Conversely, if she lost several high-profile cases, there would be headlines in the press. What if she became involved in a controversial case, involving government policy (human rights, migration, for example?)

For better or for worse, people do treat individuals who are princes and princesses differently. If there is a promotion for this wife in a private firm might there not be mutterings from colleagues about favouritism? Same if the royal worked in a firm that dealt with a government department. Too near to government?

What if the wife was given a position because the boss wanted to curry favour, same as with products pressed on members of the royal family now. What if the royal family bought cars, equipment from this firm. The media may very well infer unfair competition. So might business rivals!

The British tabloids are rabid especially about the wife of a popular young royal. What if they planted spies in the firm (supposed temporary workers) to watch this person for anything inappropriate? How would fellow workers like paps, press hanging around outside when they are arriving for work?

What about security? Are these people to have no RPO's, leaving them open to being harassed or to terrorist or kidnapping threats? If they are to have RPOs how many, and would that interfere with the running of the firm, business meetings, etc? Some fellow workers might feel uncomfortable with police and security looming around during business hours.

There is a reason why women married into the BRF don't work, and these are only a few of the reasons.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
I am making no distinction, but we are talking about the English RF right?
Gotcha!
Old 09-14-2015, 04:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
There are certain disadvantages to wives working in the BRF. For instance, a (married-in) barrister might have clients clamouring for her to fight their cases, causing jealousy within the law firm. Conversely, if she lost several high-profile cases, there would be headlines in the press. What if she became involved in a controversial case, involving government policy (human rights, migration, for example?)

(snip)

There is a reason why women married into the BRF don't work, and these are only a few of the reasons.
They have a divided profession in the UK. She could still be a solicitor in sole practice, not answerable to partners or an employer. Though I am not suggesting that it would be feasible for Harry's wife to remain in practise as a lawyer as she would be too close to the throne and there is a distinct possibility that she could be retained to do work that could be deemed too hot to handle for someone in her position, or take a turn that placed it into that category. What I said above was that I consider that her training as a lawyer would have equipped her with skills that would be of assistance to her in many useful and intellectually-challenging capacities, some of which would surely be acceptable, and I cited Rania as an example.

Though I do think that it's time that the role of the more junior members of the BRF be redefined and detached from the central characters so that the married-ins, be they wives or husbands, can continue to practise their professions or pursue their careers.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:16 AM
Courtier

Does anyone remember what happened when The Duchess of Wessex continued working after marriage? She can be referred to as Princess Edward? Might that indicate some of the potential issues?
Old 09-14-2015, 04:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sophie Countess of Wessex was widely attacked for using her royal status to gain lucrative contracts for the firms she represented. Exactly one of the points in my above post.

Sophie did continue to work after her marriage but came undone in 2001 when the News of the World got a coup. 'A fake Sheikh' was placed by the newspaper in order to gain access to Sophie. They wanted to see whether she would offer any 'royal' inducements or influence to gain a contract with a person she thought was wealthy.

Instead, Sophie said a lot of things she shouldn't. She referred to the Queen as 'the old dear', criticised the Blairs and the repeal of the hunting legislation, praised Hague the Conservative leader at the time, and, all in all, made a terrible faux-pas..

Neither hers nor Edward's firms was going very well, (both firms were in debt), and shortly afterwards the couple retired to full time royal duties.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Does anyone remember what happened when The Duchess of Wessex continued working after marriage? She can be referred to as Princess Edward? Might that indicate some of the potential issues?

The Countess of Wessex (wife of an Earl is a Countess not a Duchess) continued to use her married name in her business activities after her marriage.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Countess, Duchess, Princess, call her what you will but the bottom line is that both Sophie and Edward were forced to end their "outside" endeavours amid accusations of favouritism such as, no one would use them in their jobs if they were not who they are . . . so . . .

Not only must justice be done, it must also be seen to be done. So, no job equals no possible influence peddling and there you have it politicians had nothing to moan about and have no compunction to use the BRF to further the good of the UK. Edward and Sophie lead quiet country private lives within the realm of the firm and only seen when acting for HM. European weddings etc.

Could Catherine hold down a job and be who she is. No! There are security considerations, and that is just the start.

Could Harry's future wife hold down job. We won't know until he's married.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
This is what I meant by making the meet-and-greet routine more substantially rewarding (a la Charles).
If one twines within that surface activity real work then the meet-and-greets are more palpable when they occur. Chelsy has a substantial past of significant personal achievement. There is no reason she could not take those skills and use them to advantage, say in Charles' own Prince's Trust, perhaps overseeing the many business' themselves. The possibilities are numerous with her background and ability to grasp material presented to her.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, royal duties, working wife