The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
It wouldn´t matter to me but wasn´t it the Queen who would be her future grandmother-in-law as well as sovereign that mentioned it?
Katie Nicholl of the Daily Mail made that claim, and it was later contradicted by another columnist at her own paper, Richard Kay. Anything written about the royals in tabloids should be taken with a huge grain of salt. IMO, even if the Queen did think that Kate should get a job, she wouldn't voice those concerns to anyone who could even potentially pass her words on to the media. HM is more tactful than that.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

I was asking not stating..... that´s why I put (?). As far as working is concerned Prince William´s mother worked, as an au pair, helping with cleaning and housework and then helping in a children´s school, and she was born an aristocrat and seemed to enjoy working. Some people like to make themselves busy, others not, I think that the life of the wife of an heir to the throne is not a continuous holiday, instead of a 9 to 5 job it is more or less 24 hours a day and some of the duties to be carried out would be very boring to some.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I was asking not stating..... that´s why I put (?).
Right -- I was trying to answer your question.

Regardless of Diana's work situation before her marriage, I think it's clear that her slate of duties while she was the Princess of Wales would have precluded any other work. William's future wife, whoever she may be, will be assigned similar tasks, and surely wouldn't be able to hold down another job (unless she was superwoman!).

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I honestly don't think that they will be able to have a career. Being a princess is a career in and of itself, and above and beyond that, what kind of meaningful job could they do, when they would likely be surrounded by the press all of the time.

Not to mention, that as part of the Royal Family, they represent the UK, and by working in any specific sector or company it might seem as if they arelending credibility to that sector or company, or playing favorites. On top of that, as a representative of the UK, they shouldn't be seen to be dealing in anything overly business like or political because it might appear as if the state were sanctioning it.

Further more, who would hire them? If they do a bad job, do you think anyone would want to fire a future queen or princess?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Exactly, especially as the wife of such a senior royal such as Prince William. What I was thinking about was that Kate Middleton gives the impression of waiting around for William to have a free moment to spend with her. I don´t know whether she finished her degree course at University but I think she did, well she would make a much better impression on the British people by using that degree and doing something that seems useful instead of, what seems to be constant holidays and parties. Actually if she isn´t tied down to a steady job what is the holiday from?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

well Kate would need to get a full time job first

No seriously it would be hard for either Kate or Chelsy to work as they will be expected to carry out duties. However it might be easier for Chelsy to work if she married Harry as he will not be the future King

Old 08-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Even 25years ago there would be no question about the wives of Princes working. They were ladies who were raised in families where everyone filled their time with idle entertainment and lived a carefree existence.
Nowdays with the working classes marrying into Royal families people ask and discuss the possibility of these ladies having or keeping a job they had before their marriage.
I just hope we stop breaking down more barriers and let them become wives and mothers and have them learn how to pour tea, dress well and come in and out of vehicles without creating scenes that require comment.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Serene Highness

Well said, Odette. Couldn't their wives just carry out their official duties and raise the children? I know it sounds old fashioned, but royalty is an old fashioned business. They will have full time jobs with their royal duties as it is. Why do they need to prove something more? We should at least give them the chance to see how well they do with their jobs at "The Firm" before they are written off.

Yes, Kate did graduate. With higher grades than William, BTW.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Unfortunately I would not advise for future wives of both Princes to work because people will just capitalize on them.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know about that. Aristocracy had/have their burdens as well, especially in years past. They often took responsibility for charitable work, because the working classes had to earn a living and didn't have time to do it. Before there was social action on behalf of government, either the wealthy or the church did it, or it simply didn't get done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Even 25years ago there would be no question about the wives of Princes working. They were ladies who were raised in families where everyone filled their time with idle entertainment and lived a carefree existence.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well women who married men in high positions were expected to manage the status of the couple in society. There were visits at home to the other society ladies every afternoon and parties they had to give and invite the right people and although they had servants the lady of the house had to master the invitation list and the seating arrangement to ensure that Mr. Blowhard didn't sit close to Mr. Prude and blow her husband's business advancement all out of smithereens.

Society like that doesn't exist anymore but you can find pockets of it. A co-worker of mine is the wife of a high ranking military official and she is getting tired of the social demands on the wives of the senior officers. The more senior the level of the husband, the more social demands on the wife.

The problem for Kate and other commoners who marry royals, there is no job that they can take to prepare them for the job of being a Princess.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-13-2008, 10:45 AM

Kate is a casual worker. She takes jobs to help family, friends, and the kind of jobs she can do on her own terms. It's cool because she can make her schedule as easy or flexible as she wishes, and then she can have fun too. It's the kind of life many would like to lead. You get to exert yourself on your own terms and have as much fun as you like. What's not cool about that?
Old 08-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
However it might be easier for Chelsy to work if she married Harry as he will not be the future King
I think that they only way it could work for her is if they didn't live in the UK. If they are in the UK, married to the future King or not, I think people will expect her to carry out duties and I don't think that there is a way to combine a private job with a public role.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I don't know about that. Aristocracy had/have their burdens as well, especially in years past. They often took responsibility for charitable work, because the working classes had to earn a living and didn't have time to do it. Before there was social action on behalf of government, either the wealthy or the church did it, or it simply didn't get done.
Well, there is a school ( I am sure it is still there) on Lake Geneva, outside of Montreux where young ladies were sent to learn the "burdens" of managing a household of the level they were destined to be a hostess of.
Those were the years when the ladies were raised to be a newer version of their mothers and not much was new to them. However these days a young girl from the outside comes in and starts learning her duties after she accepted the position.
It would be a refreshing start if there was some sort of a commitment from Kate to learn being a royal before she gets pushed on center stage (assuming she is heading for that role).
Old 08-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Serene Highness

Yes, but is it fair to ask Kate for a commitment to the royal machine before William is willing to give her one?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Yes, but is it fair to ask Kate for a commitment to the royal machine before William is willing to give her one?
Like I said before, if that very public break up of last year did not teach her anything and if she agreed to go back in such a public way with no firm commitment on his part...........well, what can I say??
Then again, if he commited to her, it is his job to make her look as good as possible so their future subjects become as loyal and commited to both of them as possible.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Nobility

I think, perhaps, Kate Middleton is getting her first taste of what royal life is going to be like. Prince William proposes, when he and the palace machinery is ready - and if he wants to!In Denmark it took Crown Prince Frederik quite a while to get down on his knee - in Rome in September of 2003 - and at times his then girlfriend was in despair, even though she had been introduced to the Queen at a private occasion. many months earlier. It is just the royal way of doing such things, I believe.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Kate is a casual worker. She takes jobs to help family, friends, and the kind of jobs she can do on her own terms. It's cool because she can make her schedule as easy or flexible as she wishes, and then she can have fun too. It's the kind of life many would like to lead. You get to exert yourself on your own terms and have as much fun as you like. What's not cool about that?
I think it is very uncool for Kate not to hold a proper job. It is very difficult for any commoner to become a member of a royal family - Danish Crown Princess Mary, for instance ,is not always having an easy time - but to head dive into public life without the confidence, knowledge and experience you gain from having worked, is right out foolish. In many ways CP Mary's story is a cautionary tale for someone like Kate Middleton. Mary came with a solid business background, but still - in MY opinion -sometimes seems crushed by lack of confidence in what she is doing. The Queen, William's grandma, is right not to be pleased about Kate's lack of a proper job.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Like I said before, if that very public break up of last year did not teach her anything and if she agreed to go back in such a public way with no firm commitment on his part...........well, what can I say??
Then again, if he commited to her, it is his job to make her look as good as possible so their future subjects become as loyal and commited to both of them as possible.
There is a very big difference between being willing to become a royal and actually starting to act like one. The break up (if indeed it occured) could only have served to remind her how informal her role as a girlfriend is. It is inappropriate for her to start presenting herself like a royal. What can be construed as making her look good could also be seen as her already acting a like a princess. That is a line that she should not cross until there is a ring on her finger. Right now she is only The Girlfriend. Perhaps a bit closer to the aisle than other girls, but really just as much of a future queen as any until William actually proposes.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
There is a very big difference between being willing to become a royal and actually starting to act like one. The break up (if indeed it occured) could only have served to remind her how informal her role as a girlfriend is. It is inappropriate for her to start presenting herself like a royal. What can be construed as making her look good could also be seen as her already acting a like a princess. That is a line that she should not cross until there is a ring on her finger. Right now she is only The Girlfriend. Perhaps a bit closer to the aisle than other girls, but really just as much of a future queen as any until William actually proposes.
It sounds 100% logical. I still believe the break up last year was real, since his friends came out in full force to make jokes about her, her mother, the chewing gum etc. so I could not believe it was a ploy to protect them from the media, since they never made any efforts themselves to be a bit more invisible.
Silvia started taking her distances from the other volunteers in Innsbruck and as her brother said, she was asked by CG only 10 days before the formal announcement. Although her romance was public knowledge no one remembers her as a party girl basking idly waiting for a proposal.
Perhaps Kate could tone down the partying and try to be seen as something more precious than a bikini clad beauty.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, royal duties, working wife