The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #341  
Old 09-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
he would not have the same luxurious lifestyle as someone who had left the BRF as he has when he is within it.
and from what he's been saying lately about his depression and trauma over Diana's death and having therapy I wuoldn't say that he's that much of a happy go lucky guy. He certainly seemed to portray himself as someone with conflicts and traumas.
Yes, and he's openly talked about how he's dealt with it. He's not saying he's currently feeling this way, but he did when he was younger. He seems to be doing very well now.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 09-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
he would not have the same luxurious lifestyle as someone who had left the BRF as he has when he is within it.
and from what he's been saying lately about his depression and trauma over Diana's death and having therapy I wuoldn't say that he's that much of a happy go lucky guy. He certainly seemed to portray himself as someone with conflicts and traumas.
I'm not saying he's going to leave it, but I'm saying he'll be fine either way and it was choice he made because he wants to.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 09-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
he would not have the same luxurious lifestyle as someone who had left the BRF as he has when he is within it.
and from what he's been saying lately about his depression and trauma over Diana's death and having therapy I wuoldn't say that he's that much of a happy go lucky guy. He certainly seemed to portray himself as someone with conflicts and traumas.
Whilst Henry does not have millions of millions, his inheritance could see him quite wealthy. Plus, what sort of luxurious lifestyle do you think he has now? Yes he lives in a palace etc, but he certainly doesn't have the life of luxury he could have with his money if he weren't a royal.

You seem to brush off Henry's bouts of depression/therapy treatment very easily. But his mother died, I would be very very surprised if he didn't have some sort of depress or treatment. The BRF are close nit, and just like in the armed forces they look after each other, I'm sure Henry had that same feeling when he was with his "brothers" in the army. As other posters have said though, he's gotten over those traumas and worked through them by talking to someone. Something the three of them actively promote to do.

I think Henry is a very happy go lucky gentleman, he's a glass half full person.

But this thread is about whether the Henry's wife could continue to work and the last couple of pages I have seen nobody mention that exact topic.

Meghan couldn't continue to work in my opinion, just because of the age of William's children and the vastness of the BRF engagement workload. She will be a full time working royal if she marries Henry.

Autumn Phillips retains her Canadian citizenship, so I see no reason why Meghan cannot retain hers.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 09-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Autumn Phillips retains her Canadian citizenship, so I see no reason why Meghan cannot retain hers.
I would think Canada being a commonwealth country made that difference situation. Plus, Autumn Phillips isn't a full time working royal carrying out engagements on behalf of the Queen. She also doesn't hold the title of a royal Duchess.
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 09-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I would think Canada being a commonwealth country made that difference situation. Plus, Autumn Phillips isn't a full time working royal carrying out engagements on behalf of the Queen. She also doesn't hold the title of a royal Duchess.
I was waiting for this response.

I really don't see how having dual citizenship affects any of those things you mentioned? Doesn't stop her doing engagements, doesn't stop her holding a royal title. America is her home country and shouldn't be taken away from her unless she wishes. There are benefits to renouncing and american citizenship of course.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 09-11-2017, 05:39 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,176
From doing a bit of snooping around, I haven't found any British constitutional reason for Meghan to have to give up her American citizenship. It may be that she may choose to have dual citizenship which would make her a British citizen as much as any other British citizen (and that includes the royal family outside of the Queen) and she may choose to renounce her American citizenship. I think, for the most part, its going to be a personal decision on Meghan's part.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 09-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
As much as Harry would fight for his wife's freedom to do things her way, there are things that she will have to give up. Those two things are happening. Why? Because she is marrying a senior royal and becoming one herself when she says "I do". How is she going to represent the Queen on royal engagements when she is citizen of another country? How is she going to be a full time royal with a full time filming schedule? Her limitations to do promotion for her show right now is a problem as is. Not to mention as part of a romantic coupling on TV, they've toned her love scenes down to non-existent. That's just not sustainable in the long run.

OTOH, I imagine Harry would fight for her to take on the causes she wants to and perhaps fight for her current humanitarian roles to be kept.
I don't think Harry would have to fight for his wife to take on any sort of appropriate cause, as long as it fits with the overall strategy and goals of the royal court. The majority of the working members of the BRF aren't getting any younger and, while William and Kate will become increasingly more prominent royals as the years go on, they are only two people. I think Meghan would be actively encouraged to find or continue with a couple of causes that she truly cares about.

I also think Harry knows quite well Meghan as his wife could never continue her acting career or not become a British citizen. Not as long as he's a working member of the royal family, and for all his occasional bluster, Harry's not going anywhere.

And really, what would Meghan be giving up, career wise? It's not like she's a 25 year old being called the next Jennifer Lawrence or Meryl Streep. The one TV show she's done isn't going to go on forever and she's already 36. That's heading into geriatric territory for a woman by Hollywood standards. Post - Suits she'd be competing for a diminishing number of roles against a large number of very talented, very beautiful women. There are plenty of potential risks and down sides to Meghan marrying Harry but the loss of her career isn't one of them, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 09-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I was waiting for this response.

I really don't see how having dual citizenship affects any of those things you mentioned? Doesn't stop her doing engagements, doesn't stop her holding a royal title. America is her home country and shouldn't be taken away from her unless she wishes. There are benefits to renouncing and american citizenship of course.
I just think appearances wise, it'd cause a lot of unnecessary headache. And some might think BRF is very different from celebrity, but appearances matters to their existence A LOT.
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,405
Unnecessary headache for whom?! I imagine she'd get a fast tracked British citizenship should she wish.

I don't get what Meghan being an American Citizen has anything to do with the BRF looking like it's full of celebrities?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 09-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC, United States
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
From doing a bit of snooping around, I haven't found any British constitutional reason for Meghan to have to give up her American citizenship. It may be that she may choose to have dual citizenship which would make her a British citizen as much as any other British citizen (and that includes the royal family outside of the Queen) and she may choose to renounce her American citizenship. I think, for the most part, its going to be a personal decision on Meghan's part.
Meghan will not have to give up citizenship of her home country. She will be granted IMMEDIATE British citizenship as well after marrying Harry, meaning she'll have dual citizenship.
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old 09-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Meghan will not have to give up citizenship of her home country. She will be granted IMMEDIATE British citizenship as well after marrying Harry, meaning she'll have dual citizenship.
So the three year residency requirement will automatically be waived for her?
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Meghan will not have to give up citizenship of her home country. She will be granted IMMEDIATE British citizenship as well after marrying Harry, meaning she'll have dual citizenship.


Do we actually know that? There isn't a precedent for it.
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 09-12-2017, 08:26 PM
hel hel is online now
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kitchener, Canada
Posts: 365
There's no known British precedent, but the fact that residency, and sometimes citizenship, is for sale in many countries is the reality (residency in the UK will set you back 2.5 million USD).

Peter Thiel was granted New Zealand citizenship despite spending only 12 days there (his citizenship was actually accomplished in California) due to his “exceptional circumstances” related to “his skills as an entrepreneur and his philanthropy”, which were deemed to be of potential benefit to New Zealanders and the country.

It's not outside the bounds of possibility, is what I'm saying. Will it happen? Who knows. The only thing I do know is that whether she waits three years or gets citizenship fast tracked, there will be sturm und drang about it in the press.
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, D.C., United States
Posts: 345
One thing worth noting is that unless Meghan actually renounces her U.S. citizenship, her children would automatically have American citizenship from birth. I suppose they could renounce that when they become adults, but I wonder if the Palace would find that acceptable for heirs relatively close to the crown. (Here's the reference on children of U.S. citizens: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...rn-abroad.html

(The children of Peter Phillips apparently have dual citizenship through their Canadian mother, but they're further down the succession and their mother is a citizen of a Commonwealth country.)

As for Meghan's career, I don't think she'd be giving up much at this point. Up to this point, she has played the sweet, cute roles (as on Suits), but at 36, those parts aren't going to come her way much longer. She would be competing with more accomplished, much prettier actresses for meatier roles.

Maybe that's why she has been expanding her business and humanitarian work in recent years. It would be a smart move to start transitioning to other work now.
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:58 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,965
Call me cynical But tax wise she is better off being a UK citizen.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:03 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 5,783
I know there's this romantic notion that Meghan Markle will do this her way.

The fact is she'll be become an identikit duchess and tow the line.
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 09-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Peru
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
One thing worth noting is that unless Meghan actually renounces her U.S. citizenship, her children would automatically have American citizenship from birth. I suppose they could renounce that when they become adults, but I wonder if the Palace would find that acceptable for heirs relatively close to the crown. (Here's the reference on children of U.S. citizens: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...rn-abroad.html

(The children of Peter Phillips apparently have dual citizenship through their Canadian mother, but they're further down the succession and their mother is a citizen of a Commonwealth country.)
So, the provision that we are talking about is the one under 'Birth Abroad in Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen and an Alien'. It requires 5 years of physical presence prior to the birth of the child (of which at least 2 after the age of 14); so, if I understand it correctly, this should be interpreted: any time in the life of the American parent, so the fact that Meghan hasn't lived in the States for the last 5 years, is irrelevant (as it does not specify that those 5 years should be prior to the birth)?

Given that Meghan would be able to give up American citizenship as soon as she becomes a British subject, in my opinion it would be wise to do so to show complete dedication to her new role (do for example the duchess of Gloucester and princess Michael of Kent have dual citizenship of only British? The duke of Edinburgh was for sure expected to become British, even giving up his Greeks titles, to marry the future Queen). For the record, I expect it to be granted rather quickly as is common practice with most royal brides - at least in other countries; always resulting in some comments, but quite logical if the expectation is that the bride will represent the royal family of, and therefore the 'new' country itself. A recent example would be the hereditary grand duchess of Luxembourg.

On a side note, does this also mean that not only princess Leonore of Sweden (born on American soil), but also her brother Nicolas and future sibling have dual (American-Swedish) citizenship because of their father (who has dual American-British citizenship and lived in the States for at least 5 years I believe)?
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 09-12-2017, 11:57 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Unnecessary headache for whom?! I imagine she'd get a fast tracked British citizenship should she wish.

I don't get what Meghan being an American Citizen has anything to do with the BRF looking like it's full of celebrities?
The original conversation is based on would they have to give up their careers before Meghan was even in the picture. Now that she is, we know there is an additional unexpected event to consider. So question is if she could keep her US citizenship, and I said that would be unnecessary headache if she will be a full time royal representing the Queen. Not sure how that was confusing.

And I'm not sure about BRF looking like it's full of celebrities? Even when Meghan and Harry marry, she'd be the only one that had been a celebrity before. So I don't know who else you are referring to?
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:01 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Call me cynical But tax wise she is better off being a UK citizen.

Oh I agree massively! For this reason alone she'd be best giving up.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
The original conversation is based on would they have to give up their careers before Meghan was even in the picture. Now that she is, we know there is an additional unexpected event to consider. So question is if she could keep her US citizenship, and I said that would be unnecessary headache if she will be a full time royal representing the Queen. Not sure how that was confusing.



And I'm not sure about BRF looking like it's full of celebrities? Even when Meghan and Harry marry, she'd be the only one that had been a celebrity before. So I don't know who else you are referring to?

This is your post I was responding to;

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I just think appearances wise, it'd cause a lot of unnecessary headache. And some might think BRF is very different from celebrity, but appearances matters to their existence A LOT.
Nowhere in it does it mention that it would cause unnecessary headache when doing engagements on behalf of HM. Nor does it offer any explanation as to why you said "some might think BRF is very different from celebrity".

I'll repeat myself though, that Meghan having dual citizenship should she wish to keep her american status doesn't make anything different in my eyes. Like I said she'll become an automatic British citizen we assume, so what's the harm?

Also there's no question about "if" she could keep her US citizenship, of course she can. They question us should she.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:23 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,176
I think it will boil down to personal choice in what citizenship she'll have should she marry Harry. Citizenship has absolutely nothing to do with "celebrity" marrying into royalty. Some people even classify royalty these days as "celebrities". Even Charles has been known to say "We're a bloody soap opera."

Tax wise, we really have no concrete evidence of what her financial tax status is and its not our business to know. I would imagine though that right now, at this very minute, she pays taxes to both the US IRS (as a US citizen) and to the Canada Revenue Agency (as a US citizen working in Canada).

As has been noted, Meghan has used her professional acting revenues in order to finance and give her the space to work in humanitarian efforts and the ability to be able to travel where she wants to go. She's not hurting in the bank book department at all. Her experiences up until she met Harry, to me, can only reinforce and amplify her ability to fit into the scheme of how the "Firm" does things and feel comfortable doing it.

Some people dream of hitting it big in Vegas. When it comes to Harry finding a life partner that fits him as if its tailor made for him, he just happened to hit the jackpot with Meghan. If these two are totally sure they're the perfect fit for each other, there aren't any obstacles that they cannot overcome.
__________________

__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
prince harry, prince william, royal duties, working wife


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royals Working Out christinacg Royal Life and Lifestyle 4 07-25-2016 10:04 PM
Queen Rania's working visit to the US: May 2007 asturiana King Abdullah and Queen Rania and Family 65 11-06-2010 06:50 AM
Working visit to the UK: June 3-5, 2008 chelsea King Abdullah and Queen Rania and Family 26 06-22-2008 03:09 AM
Queen Sonja working for UNESCO Larzen King Harald and Queen Sonja 2 06-12-2006 10:12 AM
Mette-Marit working for NORAD (Autumn 2003) Alexandria Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Family 8 09-04-2003 12:06 PM




Popular Tags
best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark duchess of cambridge gala dress fashion poll general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein love monarchy news november 2016 october 2016 pablo urdangarín picture of the week pieter van vollenhoven portugal prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince nicholas prince oscar princess alexandra of luxembourg princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia gowns queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises