The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Courtier

I read it's already a security issue on Suits as it is. Highly unlikely she would be able to continue as an actress if they marry from that perspective alone.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Royal Highness

I am a bit baffled at people saying she could accept roles here and there. She is an average actress and hardly amongst the best in her age bracket. I doubt they would want her when they can get a Jennifer Lawrence instead and not have to deal with the palace and extra bodyguards.

There is a reason why Suits is her most notable work to date and that wouldn't have changed if she hadn't met Harry.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Could the princes' future wives continue working?

Meghan Markle isn't going for the same roles as Jennifer Lawrence. Other than a supporting role in Suits, the rest of her career is basically a Hallmark movie and single episode guess spots. It's not like she has had a Grace Kelly like career. A royal Duchess in the most well known royal family in the world doing public engagements or a guest spot in NCIS ?
Old 09-09-2017, 03:14 PM
Royal Highness

Which is why she couldn't do guest spots. Not nearly high profile enough and she wouldn't ever be considered for the high profile roles because simply put, the talent isn't there. No matter how you look at it, this marriage means she's moving up the career ladder.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Heir Apparent

She's made it pretty clear she wanted a family and realized her career would probably have to end or take a back seat in order to have it (how she wants it)....and of course if she marries Harry she can focus on charitable groups/works instead. Perhaps something she would rather do anyway.

LaRae
Old 09-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Moving up the career ladder as far as her acting career is probably a good way to put it. Not in terms of her personal career but what her acting experiences and struggles and successes have taught her over the years.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised to really see Meghan and her (if it does happen... always have to remember nothing is a set deal yet) future father-in-law find out they are kindred souls when it comes to the arts. The Prince of Wales, himself, is a patron or president of more than 20 performing arts organizations. This very well may be a niche where Meghan would find herself comfortable and enthused about taking on.

People that have the inclination and the talent to perform artistically don't always stay in roles or keep auditioning for parts. Some find that their acting career leads them to producing and directing. Some find fulfillment in teaching method acting. Some, like Meghan would see being a patron of an artistic/dramatic organization a more fulfilling role of her talents.

So, maybe, just maybe, Meghan wouldn't be sacrificing all that she's worked for over the years but finding different ways to put it to good use.

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/the...erforming-arts
Old 09-09-2017, 09:47 PM
Majesty

Article in the Sunday Times 10th September - usually a reliable source

This is the part of the article re continued working:

Sources close to the prince suggest he may be planning “a modern kind of royal marriage” that would allow Markle to pursue her career and charity interests beyond official royal duties.

One source said Markle was unlikely to become an “Identikit duchess”: “Harry will want his wife to have freedom and not be restricted to becoming a royal bride, giving everything up. He will push hard for that.

“I don’t think the Queen will stand in the way of a more modern kind of royal marriage; she backs her grandsons to the hilt. The palace courtiers must not stand in the way. If Harry is frustrated on this, it will be to the royal family’s detriment.”

The last attempt by a royal spouse to pursue a career ended in disaster. In 2001 the Countess of Wessex quit her own public relations firm after it emerged her business partner had tried to exploit her royal status.

END

I wonder if the idea is being put out there to elicit a response..... but I don't see how it could work. Security is one issue and the other is the same reason re Sophie "exploit her royal status"
Also - I can't see how the smaller BRF would work without H's wife.

It is a dilemma for any professional woman - I'm sure Letitzia struggled with giving up her v successful career.

Full article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...ding-2507jtb5q

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Majesty

It sure makes for interesting times for us royal watchers though.

Thanks for the info, cepe!
Old 09-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that's just wishful thinking by the media trying to stir things up.

LaRae
Old 09-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
I think it could be a "fishing" trip by KP or an entire pack of lies!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I think it could be a "fishing" trip by KP or an entire pack of lies!
I think it very unlikely she would even be able to continue with being an actress...she herself has expressed she would be willing to change her career path if she met someone and had a family. She's also, IIRC, talked about one of the reasons she works is in order to do her charity work (finance it)...so based on all that I doubt KP is trying to test the waters.

LaRae
Old 09-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Nobility

Or it could be an elaborate game of PR chess:
  1. float the idea that Harry hopes that Meghan can still maintain a bit of a career (this develops a romantic narrative of a prince looking out for his lady)
  2. wait for a bit
  3. announce the engagement
  4. in the engagement interview, Meghan says that, while Harry was supportive, she's prepared to give it all up to pour her efforts into being a member of the BRF (this develops a "dutiful" narrative, which maintains the romantic narrative -- Harry is still supportive -- but Meghan shows that she "gets" what being in the BRF is all about)

With that said, I think it's significant that The Times is talking marriage. They haven't spilt a lot of ink on this relationship to date (Roya has only written about it 3 times previously that I can find); the fact that they've started makes my spidey-sense tingle.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:21 PM
Majesty

When it comes to the press and the British royals, I believe half of what I see and none of what I hear until I get to look in the horse's mouth.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:31 AM
Aristocracy

I don't know how accurate that article is, but it isn't difficult to believe that Harry would push for Meghan to have more freedom in her role as duchess and the kind of work she would be able to pursue. I don't believe continuing her acting career would be a part of that but I can definitely see Harry as a vocal supporter in Meghan being allowed to expand her role a bit beyond what most would expect.

And I have to admit, if part of the intent here is to push a romantic narrative, then it's working, at least for me. I thought the statement released back in November was partly an attempt by Harry to show Meghan how serious he is about her and thus, was quite a romantic gesture. I liked it very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Which is why she couldn't do guest spots. Not nearly high profile enough and she wouldn't ever be considered for the high profile roles because simply put, the talent isn't there. No matter how you look at it, this marriage means she's moving up the career ladder.
While Meghan may not be an Emmy or Oscar-worthy actress, I don't think her talent, or lack thereof, necessarily has anything to do with what roles she has been offered or may be offered. There are plenty of actors (especially actors of color) out there who'll never get a chance to star in the kind of movies that are offered to someone like Jennifer Lawrence (who is highly overrated, imo) and it really has nothing to do with a lack of talent or acting ability. There are many factors that determine who does or doesn't land high profile roles... talent is only one factor and, oftentimes, it's not even the most important.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:36 AM
Nobility

The Times article that just came out!

I read it. I just read it, "Sources close to the prince suggest he may be planning “a modern kind of royal marriage” that would allow Markle to pursue her career and charity interests beyond official royal duties.

One source said Markle was unlikely to become an “Identikit duchess”: “Harry will want his wife to have freedom and not be restricted to becoming a royal bride, giving everything up. He will push hard for that."

I told you all that this is what Harry wants for Meghan and he's gonna get it too - Their marriage and Meghan's career. He does not want her having to give up everything! Kate did not have anything like that worth debating giving up or not prior to marriage up but Meghan does.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae

Oh? Just like it was highly unlikely to some years ago that Harry would fall in love with an American much less a half black woman? And look what's happened.

This is what Harry wants for Meghan and their marriage and I believe the source. It's a respected new sources for goodness sake!
Old 09-10-2017, 04:00 AM
Heir Apparent

But American Observer, curb your enthusiasm for a minute at take a good look at the bolded pieces there. It's replete with 'suggest' 'may be planning' 'unlikely to'. This is press speculation. Yes, The Times is a respected source, but none of it is set in stone stuff.

And Harry is obligated to his father and grandmother and eventually brother to do his best for 'The Firm'. That entails bringing his wife on board too. She might get some time off occasionally to do things for charities she's been involved with in Rwanda or India. But roles in film and TV land? Miles too difficult on security grounds alone.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:04 AM
Majesty

And so, bit by bit, the so necessary distance which every monarchy needs, is eroding, especially when Meghan continues her "career".

Harry and Meghan. The names alone. They could be contestants in The Only Way Is Essex. The experiment of his once dashing uncle Andrew with the loudmouth, unpoised and vulgar Sarah apparently has not learned Harry a lesson. History is repeating.

In Italy Prince Emmanuele Filiberto married actress Clotilde Courau. She continued "working". Since then we see a red-carpet addicted "royal" vogueing, posing, duckfacing in designer clothing, completely outshadowing her husband. When Meghan continues her "career", with the toxic combination of swarms of paperazzi plagueing her, I see no good in all this.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry's name is really Henry, as you very well know Duc, (the name borne by eight kings of England, stretching back to Norman times) and as Meghan (whose real first name is Rachel) is not vulgar, loudmouthed, unpoised or unpolished I don't see the connection, with Sarah or with Clothilde.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:21 AM
Aristocracy

But isn't it unfair to demand from prince's wives to stop doing what they like? Meghan will never be a queen, she will be just a duchess, what's wrong with acting for a duchess? Ok, not acting but /-put any other activity/-

Letr's face it: Prime Minister wife can continue working, president wives can continue working. Why not a duchess?

Tags
prince harry, prince william, royal duties, working wife