The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-13-2017, 01:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

yes that's right, in that at the moment neither Will nor harry are full timers, but they are moving towards it. And I think that C will slim it down, and then Harry will be needed. and as C supports him, I think he will have to step up.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Like his brother there is no need for him to be full time right now. There are close to two dozen full time royals. But if Charles has his way to slim down the monarchy, yes he will be needed more. William will be prince of Wales and everything that goes with that. Their foundation will be Harry's.

You do realize his work with Invictus, walking with the wounded and senteble are considered royal work not private activities right? Just like William and tusk.
Not all of Harry's past work with Sentebale and the Invictus Games got counted in the court circular.

Of course Harry will be needed more "in due time" which is code for as older members die off and will somewhat soften my initial comment that "Harry is not going to feel anymore obligated to work for Charles or William than he feels to work for Queen Elizabeth" but I still think if Harry has other interests that he wants to pursue then he will do just that even if it interferes with his royal work and Charles and William will have to find other resources.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

There aren't any other resources. Charles is very clear that the York's aren't going to be used in any official capacity so in William's generation it will be Harry and his spouse to add to William and Kate. That is 4 people to replace the 6 in the generation above (Charles, Camilla, Andrew, Edward, Sophie and Anne) and the 6 in the generation above that (Elizabeth, Philip, Edward, Alexandra, Richard and Birgitte).

Harry usually disappears for about 3 months each year to work in Africa and I don't see that stopping any time soon, if ever.

As for the argument that not all Harry's work with Invictus or Sentebele counts in the CC - that is the same for all royals. They have many meetings, briefings etc before the official work and that side of things don't get counted for anyone. It isn't just for Harry.

As for whether Harry's wife could continue to work in private industry - probably not - as they would be seen to be using their royal connections to promote their own endeavours and that is a no-no. Look at the criticism of the Middleton's whenever they do any sort of 'royal related' theme for their party business. They are condemned as benefiting from Kate's position even though every other party business is also doing royal related themes at the same time. Zara and Peter are often criticised for using their royal links to promote their businesses as well so it would be even worse for the wife of a prince of the realm to be doing so if only cousins or in-laws are condemned.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Majesty

I would say that the asnwer would be quite a given. Now William is married, but of course whoever he had ended up marrying, that spouse would have had to give up any career or job. And the same applies to Harry's future wife.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:53 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As time passes and Charles becomes king, both William and Harry are going to be finding themselves in the royal limelight from dawn until dusk as their royal lives become even more than a full time job. There will be no room for their consorts to do anything less than what their husbands are doing. Its like leaving a place of employment in a certain field and signing on for 48 hour days at another place. They will be encouraged to find their own passions but under the strict guidelines that they represent and embody crown and country wherever they go and with whatever they do.

The conundrum that all the senior royals working for the "Firm" have had, for the most part, is to find a consort that they not only loved and had a stable relationship with but also to find a consort that is willing to take on the other 24 hours in that 48 hour day and work as a team with their partner.

Its not really a case of "love me, love my dog" but rather "love me, love the entire kennel". The right consort would be willing (and maybe even eager) to take on royal life and all its ins and outs and want to be part of a team. It involves sacrificing some personal freedoms but if the rewards of what can be accomplished through the "royal stage" is appealing enough, those sacrifices will be made gladly.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There aren't any other resources. Charles is very clear that the York's aren't going to be used in any official capacity so in William's generation it will be Harry and his spouse to add to William and Kate. That is 4 people to replace the 6 in the generation above (Charles, Camilla, Andrew, Edward, Sophie and Anne) and the 6 in the generation above that (Elizabeth, Philip, Edward, Alexandra, Richard and Birgitte).

Harry usually disappears for about 3 months each year to work in Africa and I don't see that stopping any time soon, if ever.

As for the argument that not all Harry's work with Invictus or Sentebele counts in the CC - that is the same for all royals. They have many meetings, briefings etc before the official work and that side of things don't get counted for anyone. It isn't just for Harry.

As for whether Harry's wife could continue to work in private industry - probably not - as they would be seen to be using their royal connections to promote their own endeavours and that is a no-no. Look at the criticism of the Middleton's whenever they do any sort of 'royal related' theme for their party business. They are condemned as benefiting from Kate's position even though every other party business is also doing royal related themes at the same time. Zara and Peter are often criticised for using their royal links to promote their businesses as well so it would be even worse for the wife of a prince of the realm to be doing so if only cousins or in-laws are condemned.
I was not stating or implying that Harry is the only royal who does work that is not counted in the court circular.

When Charles ascends the throne he will have bench strength in the form of three siblings, a sister-in-law, two adult children and one, possibly two, daughters-in-law and one or more cousins. William will not have that same bench strength.

My prediction is that those who are whinging that lower-ranked royals need to get real jobs will be whinging louder and harder when it dawns on them that the gameplan is to downsize the number of working royals but keep the same funding scheme. In the meanwhile those lower-ranked royals will be living off inheritances that are rooted in royal duchy income.

The hope has been that Harry's wife will be a working royal and if he marries Meghan Markle I see her joining the Firm, so they will luck out on that front, but if Harry fell in love with a military officer, an entrepreneur, an executive at a charity, then the BRF may have had to deal with a Harry's wife not being able to take on full-time duties.

Again if Harry marries Meghan, she will become a working royal but I also predict that in addition to Harry's trips to Africa, there will be lengthy stays in North America to accommodate any yearnings Meghan may have to spend time with her family and friends and to expose their children to their mother's family and culture.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:32 PM
Commoner

Do you think it will be "okay" for a prince's wife to be an entrepreneur with her own commercial enterprise?
Old 04-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Majesty

No, I don't. Reason being that as a Princess of the UK, any commercial endeavor would not be solely lending her name to something but also giving the illusion that whatever the product is, it is endorsed by the BRF. It just won't work.

As a wife, she could however set up a charitable foundation or work for a certain issue such as acne and call it the Princess X Foundation for Dermatological Health.

Just nothing commercial.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
No, I don't. Reason being that as a Princess of the UK, any commercial endeavor would not be solely lending her name to something but also giving the illusion that whatever the product is, it is endorsed by the BRF. It just won't work.

As a wife, she could however set up a charitable foundation or work for a certain issue such as acne and call it the Princess X Foundation for Dermatological Health.

Just nothing commercial.
What if she were a doctor or a surgeon with the NHS? I think those are very respectable and selfless careers. Maybe even a stock broker.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Definitely not a stock broker or anything that involves money.

Doctors and surgeons often have a say in budgets. Imagine the outcry - two hospitals vying for extra funding and it goes to the hospital where the royal is working - immediately it will be assumed that it was because of the royal.

It doesn't matter what the career is - any career whereby the royal concerned may have influence, even by implication, over money from the government or possibly corrupt individuals will not be acceptable and so it is not acceptable.

The press had a field day with Sophie as a PR person with her own company and Edward and his attempts in film and documentary making. That example basically says princes and wives of princes can't work outside the firm.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:43 PM
Commoner

Quote:

Doctors and surgeons often have a say in budgets. Imagine the outcry - two hospitals vying for extra funding and it goes to the hospital where the royal is working - immediately it will be assumed that it was because of the royal.

It doesn't matter what the career is - any career whereby the royal concerned may have influence, even by implication, over money from the government or possibly corrupt individuals will not be acceptable and so it is not acceptable.

The press had a field day with Sophie as a PR person with her own company and Edward and his attempts in film and documentary making. That example basically says princes and wives of princes can't work outside the firm.
I guess you're right, but Prince William was a helicopter pilot, so...

I definitely do think that direct heirs to the throne and their wives should not work, but spares like Harry and the York girls should pursue a career. It would really boost the public's perception of the monarchy (especially people with republican sentiments). Just my two cents though.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfisa View Post
I guess you're right, but Prince William was a helicopter pilot, so...

I definitely do think that direct heirs to the throne and their wives should not work, but spares like Harry and the York girls should pursue a career. It would really boost the public's perception of the monarchy (especially people with republican sentiments). Just my two cents though.
It was also stated outright before he even started flying for EAAA that his paycheck would be donated to charity. He does not make any kind of money for the work he does there.

Harry and his future wife (whomever she may be), I think, are pretty well slated to take on full time royal duties. Beatrice and Eugenie both have pursued their own interests in the private sector along with their own personal charities and patronages.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:08 PM
Heir Apparent

William works as a pilot for a company that is hired by a charity. The air ambulances run on donations. They don't get money from the government. A doctor at a NHS hospital is funded by the government. Probably the only career a royal female spouse can is is be in the military. They can't be out trying to make money when they are living rent free in public palaces.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:29 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
William works as a pilot for a company that is hired by a charity. The air ambulances run on donations. They don't get money from the government. A doctor at a NHS hospital is funded by the government. Probably the only career a royal female spouse can is is be in the military. They can't be out trying to make money when they are living rent free in public palaces.
Better to be paying taxes while living rent free in public palaces, which contribute to the upkeep of those palaces :P
Old 04-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

They are paying taxes. They pay taxes on their investments. They pay inheritance tax other than when it's sovereign to sovereign.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
They are paying taxes. They pay taxes on their investments. They pay inheritance tax other than when it's sovereign to sovereign.
Also, The Queen and Charles also voluntarily pay income tax I believe.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

True. Charles starting voluntarily paying tax on the income of the Duchy of Cornwall when he took control of the estate. He paid at 50% until marrying Diana when he reduced it to 25% due to the expenses of having a wife.

In 1992 The Queen was forced to begin paying taxes after the Windsor fire and the outcry about the public having the pay for the repairs so she was embarrassed into paying taxes at the same rate as everyone else on the Duchy of Lancaster income and her private wealth and Charles also agree to pay the going rate rather than a flat rate.

Until George VI monarchs and other royals paid tax on their income the same as everyone else but George VI negotiated the tax free status in order to pay Edward VIII for Sandringham and Balmoral and other expense associated with becoming King without having built up a fortune as heir apparent from the Duchy of Cornwall.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:22 PM
Courtier

While I agree that Prince Harry's future wife is unlikely to have a career outside of her Royal duties, I think if Harry fell madly in love with some one who wanted to continue a career accomodations would be made.
George VI had a sister and 3 brothers. David after the abdication was a no go for Royal duties and George died young.
Charles has a sister and 2 brothers.
George VI had 2 children - Elizabeth became Queen. Margaret married Snowden who continued his photography business after their marriage.
Charles has 2 children - William will become King. Harry's spouse could, like Snowden, continue a career, IMO.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:

Proof of this is in all the stories flying about that EAAA got the first H145 due to William, despite the charity stating that they intended to acquire one in an annual report issued 2 years before William quit the SAR.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:32 AM
Heir Apparent

If Harry's future wife worked for the NHS in any capacity she could well get caught up in controversies in the media about its shortcomings, funding etc. If she was a medical professional working in a private hospital or clinic and they secured some cutting edge equipment the press would leap on it, questioning how they received it, who were the donors etc. British tabloids are appalling and her working life could well be made miserable.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, royal duties, working wife