The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-25-2016, 04:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

maybe that will also depend on how many countries will have the british monarch as their monarch in the future... i could imagine the current workload of the british royal family is too big for a slimmed down family.
However, the wives of P. (then K.) Charles, P.William and P.Harry will almost certainly imo have to chip in with the royal duties and that will probably be a fulltime job... imo the slimming down will most likely be among the othere relatives

Old 09-25-2016, 04:45 AM
Royal Highness

I think it would massively depend on what job a future royal wive would have. If it was working for a commercial company then I think she would have to give up her job as other companied would claim she gives her employers an unfair advantage and undue publicity.

If, however, she worked for a charity, NGO or some other not-for-profit maybe even as a doctor, for the military or as a teacher then I think she would be able to carry on in some way.

Sophie Wessex continued to work for her own company but became unstuck because she had to go out and find new clients which immediately led to calls of using her royal status for commercial gain.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
If Anne’s husband isn’t needed than I don’t see why Harry’s wife would be.. Anne is a younger child of a queen, Harry would be younger child of a king. THey are in the same position. The mere fact that one is married to a man and one to a woman should, imo, make no difference.

This.
well there is a differnece. I think the queen would have preferred it if Mark had taken a title and come on the royal duties roster, but he didn't want to and Anne was well down the line of succession. So because of that and because of the fact that it was the 1970s and not the 1930s, the queen problably flet that she could not insist.
Harry will be one of only 2 children of the monarch, not one of 4 and with several cousins helping out, and his wife will IMO be needed.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:19 AM
Courtier

Harry's "wife" doesn't exist (as such!) so if he never married and did - but his wife held a formal role as a doctor / actress / barrister etc. why should anything change unless they agreed to it?

Harry will be (circumstance not changing) the son of the King, the brother of the heir to the throne. But at fourth in line, I think a bit of give and take in the role any future girlfriend / partner / wife would not be out of the question.

I can see Harry himself, continuing to play the HRH card for many years to come for the sake of the charities he holds close to his heart.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
Harry's "wife" doesn't exist (as such!) so if he never married and did - but his wife held a formal role as a doctor / actress / barrister etc. why should anything change unless they agreed to it?

Harry will be (circumstance not changing) the son of the King, the brother of the heir to the throne. But at fourth in line, I think a bit of give and take in the role any future girlfriend / partner / wife would not be out of the question.

I can see Harry himself, continuing to play the HRH card for many years to come for the sake of the charities he holds close to his heart.
Do you really see Harry marrying anyone like that? Mabye an actress but unless she was a very serious actress who didn't do nude roles or saucy comedies, I think she might be unacceptable anyway.
IMO Charles is going to slim down.. and at the moment he covers the expenses of some of the engagements for Will Kate and Harry and helps out financially. So paying the piper he will call the tune.
Harry may not marry for years, and If he does, I'm sure she will be a society girl who dabbles in jobs as Kate did.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
We overlook that a future King himself, a VERY titled man, is working as an ambulance pilot. If even a future King can have a career, surely other royals or their wives can.
he doesn't have a career. He has a job which he will quit at some stage probably in the next few years. He has been luckier than other Princes in his position that he isn't expected to do full time royal duties too young. He has been allowed to go into his early 30s in various jobs, and soon the times' coming when he will have to give that up. Harry COULD have had a full time army career, at least till he was about 40 but he chose to give it up.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Nobility

Is it possible that Prince Harry himself could live a life outside of full time royal duties? His role has already diverged significantly from that of his brother, and will continue to do so, and will eventually be considered a minor royal.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Harrywont be considered a minor royal until his nephew is king. Just like his aunts and uncles now, he will be a senior Royal when his dad and brother are king. And if Charles slims down the monarchy as said, there is no way will and Kate can do the job currently done by fifteen royals. Imagine him taking on all Charles does as well as his aunts, uncles, Gloucesters,kents do. No Harry is a senior Royal and will be for decades to come. If he isn't needed when George is king, he likely will be ready to retire anyways.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree that Harry will be needed in the foreseeable future in Charles's reign and in Will's. I don't think he can escape really. One thing is for certain, IF Harry and Meghan marry she won't be taking any more acting jobs from the time of their engagement.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Nobility

Surely Princess Margaret was no longer considered a senior royal in her later life?

If the working BRF was slimmed down to just C&C, W&K and kids, they could all fit into a people carrier!
Old 11-21-2016, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Considering the kents and Gloucesters are considered senior royals and further removed then Margaret, yes Margaret was still considered a senior Royal.

The reality is if you want you want to slim down the monarchy, those who are senior will re,sin senior even longer. Margaret was less a senior Royal, but as her nieces and nephews grew up, married and had kids, she fell out of the limelight. If we go down to Charles and his sons, there will be a lot if responsibility and Spotlight for Harry. Considering it will likely be thirty years, if they get treated likevtheurvdad, before George and Charlotte have yo become full time royals,
Old 11-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Serene Highness

Well since the original question was wondering whether princes' wives could continue working in the future, I believe it will 100% depend on the changing times. We might not be around to witness, but there might be a time when Kings and Queens are just titles and not the figure head of today. With so many people wanting total voting democracies, who knows what is coming in 100 years. Even now only a few have any real power in law making, etc. I personally love the Royal Families and hope they continue, but in today's society I can see a change and if that ever comes, yes all members of the titled will need jobs to exist after their vast inheritances run dry. Don't believe it will happen to England, but I can see in other countries quite easily.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent

The British monarchy is not even among the wealthiest. Their wealth is not money that will dry up. The Dutch own shares in shell. Alber of Monaco owns huge chunks of Monaco. The lichtensteins have vast art collections and other holdings. None of these families rely on some kind of stipend, or trust fund to survive. Along with balmoral and sandringham, the British royals have all their holdings in Cornwall and Lancaster, if uk ever went republic and they lost crown money. If the other monarchies succumbed, they would be like the many defunct ones like Prussia, living comfortably on their private estates and doing a lot of charity work. Some may get consultation jobs or such.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:10 PM
Courtier

Harry is a major royal on paper, as is Will and Kate but they are part-time working royals.

IMO Harry is not going to feel anymore obligated to work for Charles or William than he feels to work for Queen Elizabeth. If the stars align in such a way that Harry is living in Britain and wants to carry out a slew of engagements on behalf of Charles or William, then that will happen, but if he decides he wants to live outside of Britain and/or spend most of his efforts on his private charitable pursuits like Sentebale and the Invictus Games then that will happen as well and Charles and William will have to look elsewhere.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic...whether or not a potential wife of Harry could work in the private sector.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 04-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Commoner

Isn't Megan opening her own clothing brand or something? If she does that, would that be considered "okay"?
Old 04-12-2017, 06:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfisa View Post
Isn't Megan opening her own clothing brand or something? If she does that, would that be considered "okay"?
I'd heard recently that Meghan's clothing line contract with Reitman's has ended, and the clothes are no longer available.

According to all reports, Meghan will likely be moving to England after filming season 7 of Suits (at which point that contract will also end, and not be renewed).

Meghan is independently wealthy at this point in her life, so once she moves to England, she will likely focus more on her humanitarian work with UN Women. As far as her working in any other paid capacity, I doubt it, since an engagement and marriage to Harry is likely being planned with a commitment between them possibly understood already.

Oh, sorry, I didn't see moderator Zonk's post ahead of Anfisa's query, to which I was responding. Oh I see I may have misread the moderator's post and the topic I responded to is the correct topic of discussion.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I'd heard recently that Meghan's clothing line contract with Reitman's has ended, and the clothes are no longer available.

According to all reports, Meghan will likely be moving to England after filming season 7 of Suits (at which point that contract will also end, and not be renewed).

Meghan is independently wealthy at this point in her life, so once she moves to England, she will likely focus more on her humanitarian work with UN Women. As far as her working in any other paid capacity, I doubt it, since an engagement and marriage to Harry is likely being planned with a commitment between them possibly understood already.
Wow, that's all news to me. If all true I am persuaded anything is possible sooner rather than later. Interesting.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

well IF an engagement Is planned, no she would not be able to work in the private sector. She would have to give up her work and concentrate on some kind of charity work...
Old 04-13-2017, 12:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Harry is a major royal on paper, as is Will and Kate but they are part-time working royals.

IMO Harry is not going to feel anymore obligated to work for Charles or William than he feels to work for Queen Elizabeth. If the stars align in such a way that Harry is living in Britain and wants to carry out a slew of engagements on behalf of Charles or William, then that will happen, but if he decides he wants to live outside of Britain and/or spend most of his efforts on his private charitable pursuits like Sentebale and the Invictus Games then that will happen as well and Charles and William will have to look elsewhere.
Like his brother there is no need for him to be full time right now. There are close to two dozen full time royals. But if Charles has his way to slim down the monarchy, yes he will be needed more. William will be prince of Wales and everything that goes with that. Their foundation will be Harry's.

You do realize his work with Invictus, walking with the wounded and senteble are considered royal work not private activities right? Just like William and tusk.

Tags
prince harry, prince william, royal duties, working wife