The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-22-2016, 10:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Sure...it would make sense to me. The BRF do things together. I've seen all of them at various functions here and there.

Kate has done things with the Queen and Camilla ...maybe Sophie can't remember about her or Anne.

LaRae

Old 09-22-2016, 10:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kate has done one engagement with The Queen and Camilla. She has done a few more with just The Queen and none with just Camilla. Camilla hasn't done any with just The Queen. It is rare for family members who aren't partners to do things together unless it is the entire family events.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Could the princes' future wives continue working?

Camilla and the Queen did a joint engagement together in 2013 naturally horses were involved

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...l-8911213.html

Kate did 2 engagements with the Queen and Philip- kicking off the diamond jubilee in Leicester and opening a tube station in London when she was pregnant with George. She attended some London 2012 events with Sophie and Louise and watched the sailing with Anne and Tim.

We also have seen William do a couple of engagements with his grandparents, WK with Charles, WK with the Queen. WK and Harry have done a ton of stuff together.

Then you have the big Royal events like Trooping, Garter Day, Remembrance Day and when the Queen hosts receptions at BP there are usually multiple royals there.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-23-2016, 02:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well, Harry's certainly sticking to the Invictus Games, which he worked hard to help make a success this year. He was also helping out at Sentebale when he was in Africa, before helping to move those elephants in the summer. He's stuck to Sentebale since he helped start it off at 19.
But these are all on and off projects. he can work on them for a few months, then when it gets boring, he can move on to the next one.. or say he's needed for some royal engagements and move on to that for a time.
I think that he has something of Di's lack of "stick to it"-iveness, or perhaps it is simply that he's a rich young man and a second son and does not need to work.. and because he's a second son, he's not at present asked to do full time royal work.
But when he marries, I think that Charles is going to have him and his wife on full time royal work, so his wife wont have much time for a real career. and there are things as other have said of conflict of interests. Fergie wrote books, which was meant to be non controversial thing, but in fact she got a lot of flak because she said that she'd donate the money to charity and didn't realy do tat..and her wrok was criticised as a rip off of other books etc.
Anway I don't see Harry marrying a girl who is very into a career...
Old 09-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Someone once posted here and I do believe it rings true and that is what we see any royal doing and what is reported is most likely just the tip of the iceberg what they actually do. We see maybe 10% of their activities with charity work and royal engagements. We do not see the behind the scenes work these people do.

I think the opposite of what you do. I think Harry is very committed to what he does and what his goals are in his role as a Prince of the UK. He is slowly but surely solidifying where his passions are and I'd bet my last honey bun that Harry is going to be very much a world traveler doing foreign tours for his grandmother and monarch. He is comfortable being out and about with people and enjoys what he does and is very well received wherever he goes.

I do agree that Harry's wife, when he marries, will not be one that will continue or start up a career of her own.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-24-2016, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

If the person was a writer or some sort of academic where the schedule was flexible that maybe something that they could continue in Royal life. Nothing where it's 9-5 or selling a service, working for a large corporation, but say the person is an expert on medieval literature and did a lecture at a university 3 days a week for six months at a time that would probably be more sustainable than being a City trader.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

The spouse to Harry, the second child, compares to the spouses of Princess Margaret and Princess Anne, both second children as well. If memory does not fail me, Antony Armstrong-Jones, Mark Phillips, Timothy Laurence but also an older generation person as the late Angus Ogilvy simply had to provide in their income indeed. With other words: being a spouse to someone close to the throne and have a career is possible indeed. The given examples prove it.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

However, there are different expectations from a man marrying a Royal and a female marrying a Royal. The only real exception would marrying the heir like Philip did. The men aren't becoming Princes marrying Margaret, Anne or Alexandra. The women marrying a Prince are becoming Princesses when they get married.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:00 PM
Nobility

Presumably Harry's wife will become a duchess like Sarah Ferguson, heck even the wives of the two heirs are duchesses, albeit royal duchesses. I get what you are saying but to say a female married in has no choice but to become a working royal because she got a high-falutin' title, I don't think that Harry and his wife's options are going to be that limited. I think that if she wants to continue working she can and the BRF will figure out how to handle her title if it becomes an issue, perhaps she will get one of Harry's lesser titles and be the Countess of X.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I didn't say they have no choice but the previous post citing men who married female royals as examples of people who continued their careers post marriage isn't an apples to apples comparison with a woman marrying into a Royal family. If Prince Edward was Princess Edwina instead, what her spouse did would not be that big of a deal but as we saw with Sophie their is different standard with Royal woman.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent

With the advance of years it will become easier to have a career indeed. Plenty of royals in the banking sector, the military, international organizations (UN, EU) or for companies (or being a business(wo)man themselves.

It would be sad when talented or highly educated people are confined fo ribbon-cutting only.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Presumably Harry's wife will become a duchess like Sarah Ferguson, heck even the wives of the two heirs are duchesses, albeit royal duchesses. I get what you are saying but to say a female married in has no choice but to become a working royal because she got a high-falutin' title, I don't think that Harry and his wife's options are going to be that limited. I think that if she wants to continue working she can and the BRF will figure out how to handle her title if it becomes an issue, perhaps she will get one of Harry's lesser titles and be the Countess of X.
I agree and think the other barrier is finding work that the British public can tolerate. JMO, but there is always hue and cry when there is any taint of possible royal influence giving one a hand up. From what I see the rest of Europe is a bit more open minded about it. I think things are changing and that the family who are not working are also making wiser choices these days.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Of course it all depends on whether Harry and his wife will be required for full time Royal duties in future. If they are, and I think they may well be, then there would be little time for a full time job in the workforce.

It also depends to a great extent on what job or career she will have. If she is a writer of charming little children's books about Horace the hare or Cecil the kitten, or has a job deep in the bowels of Windsor castle, in the Royal Libraries for instance, all well and good.

If however, the wife has a job in the commercial world or even in academia at university near London, then all sorts of things might crop up. Jealousy of colleagues with regard to promotion, favouritism etc, extra funding for that academic institution etc.

Plus, as we know, the British tabloid media is a ferocious and tenacious beast that won't take no for an answer. That is not something that working senior royals in other Royal families, such as the Netherlands, really has to face.

The Press in Britain is more than capable of making colleagues or clients lives a misery with snide articles about a certain university's funding or why a City firm is drawing in so many clients. As we saw with Sophie Wessex, they could find a way to introduce a non bonafide client to the firm, or do some investigating of her colleagues, hassling, photographers hanging round, offering money for interviews on fellow workers' opinions of her.

This wouldn't be the same as Zara being able to work, or Peter Phillips (and he has had critical PR recently.) This woman will be a King's daughter in law, another's sister in law. Harry once remarked "There is no private life any more." with regards to the amount of hassle he receives all the time he's out from press and members of the public with cell phones, Twitter etc.

Most senior royals absolutely adore their privacy, their homes and being able to pull up the drawbridge and relax when they can. Having a job in the marketplace at any level might be just a bridge too far, especially if Harry and his wife have a young family.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I oyal influence giving one a hand up. From what I see the rest of Europe is a bit more open minded about it. I think things are changing and that the family who are not working are also making wiser choices these days.
As far as I can see the other European monarchies are more likely to allow younger sons and most daughters to cut loose and possibly give up their place in the succession while remaining part of the Royal family and keeping a title. so it doesn't matter so much what they do. If they make an unsuitable or controversial marriage, they just slip out of the Royal set up to an extent. Whereas the British RF is bigger and busier and wants more of its people doing the royal duties.
and perhaps because of the Abdication they are not keen on the idea of someone giving up their place in the succession.
But if Charles does want to slim things down and not have his siblings' children working (which commits him to helping them financially), Harry and his wife will be needed to do royal work and so a full time career for H's wife doing something else wont be possible.
(and Sarahs' working writing stories of Joey the budgie or whatever didn't work out well).
IN any case I think its very unlikely that H will pick a career girl. I think he will go for a fun loving deb who wont want a career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
However, there are different expectations from a man marrying a Royal and a female marrying a Royal. The only real exception would marrying the heir like Philip did. The men aren't becoming Princes marrying Margaret, Anne or Alexandra. The women marrying a Prince are becoming Princesses when they get married.

Yes of course there are. And even so I beleive that these men who married Royal ladies had to push a bit, to keep their careers. Previously almost the only Princess who married a commoner in the 20th C was Princess Mary who became the wife of Lord Harewood. He was a well to do landed gentleman, and so his lifestyle wasn't that different to the RF, of tending his land, and doing charity and similar type engagements. But from the 60s, where the Princesses married men with "jobs" in the modern sense, it was an innovation.. Snowdon was "artistic" so that wasn't too big an issue as it is fairly acceptable to have a carrer in the arts. But Ogilvy had some flak over business dealings. And Mark Phillips was horsey so again not such an issue, but he didnt want a title and I think that caused some fricton.
But Philip had to give up HIS career because he was marrying the queen.
However women marrying into the RF have traditionally not had a career and been expected to take up the charty and similar work, together with their husbands
Old 09-25-2016, 03:17 AM
Majesty

One thing to remember too about marrying into the royal family as a female in previous decades is that women going into the workforce and having careers was not the norm. Men brought home the bacon and women were expected to cook it. This was predominate up until around the 1970s-1980s.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-25-2016, 03:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
However women marrying into the RF have traditionally not had a career and been expected to take up the charty and similar work, together with their husbands
That seems to be the point.. Women in the “upper classes” were never supposed to have careers so there was nothing to give up. But.. if men can keep theirs I see no reason why women can't.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:24 AM
Heir Apparent

We overlook that a future King himself, a VERY titled man, is working as an ambulance pilot. If even a future King can have a career, surely other royals or their wives can.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
That seems to be the point.. Women in the “upper classes” were never supposed to have careers so there was nothing to give up. But.. if men can keep theirs I see no reason why women can't.
Becauase Harry's wife will be needed for royal duties. if she wants to work on something of her own in her private time, she can do so.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Becauase Harry's wife will be needed for royal duties. if she wants to work on something of her own in her private time, she can do so.
If Anne’s husband isn’t needed than I don’t see why Harry’s wife would be.. Anne is a younger child of a queen, Harry would be younger child of a king. THey are in the same position. The mere fact that one is married to a man and one to a woman should, imo, make no difference.

Quote:
We overlook that a future King himself, a VERY titled man, is working as an ambulance pilot. If even a future King can have a career, surely other royals or their wives can.
This.

I would like to add this, but I can’t seem to edit my own post..

I think one of the problems is how people view careers. Men's careers seem to be viewed as “more important” because men are seen as the breadwinner. Women's careers are less important because they are married to someone who has a career and who therefor brings in “the money". So... seems to me a woman’s career will play second fiddle until people realise women are just as worthy of having a career without having to give it up because it’s convenient to a man or his family.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:37 AM
Majesty

There are a lot of variables that have been pointed out and they're all valid. I think a lot depends on the need to be a full time working royal and of course, the plans of the "Firm". For all we know, Charles may slim it down to being just the King and his consort, his heir and the heir's family and the rest left more or less to their own devices.

We just don't know and my crystal ball is in the shop. We'll see what happens when the time comes. Anything is possible.

― John Lennon

Tags
prince harry, prince william, royal duties, working wife