The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #801  
Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,868
My first thought on Chelsy marrying Harry and remaining in legal practices is that it sure would put the paparazzi into a twist knowing that should they overstep their bounds with Harry or Chelsy and even maybe William and Kate, there's gonna be some right up front legal action taken. Can you see Chelsy's privacy being abused and her taking names?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #802  
Old 05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,325
But Hilary was not prohibited from practicing law while she was merely married to an office-holder, that's the point. Is there some kind of rule or law in England that a royal cannot be a lawyer?

BTW, lawyers are rarely/never called Dr. here in the U.S., either, even though they technically have a doctorate. They usually put esquire after their names (Esq.,) if they want to be more...pretentious (and in some firms it's just the custom).

Hilary did continue to do some lawyerly things while Bill was Governor of Arkansas, the role of First Lady calls for complete commitment to it (although remember, she still worked on legal matters as first lady - she tried to draft a healthcare bill).

I'm not sure why Chelsy's job choices would be so limited. She couldn't defend or prosecute anyone simply because she's a royal? If that's the case, how things have changed!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #803  
Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,829
That "technical" doctorate is known as a J.D. (Juris Doctor). As for her working while Bill was Governor, she did not. A layperson can "draft" a healthcare bill. Mrs. Clinton was unable to pass the District of Columbia Bar exam in 2005. I don't know if she has done so yet. Since she is now a Federal employee, being licensed in any U.S. state is good enough.

She did sit on several law-related committees (unpaid) while her husband was president, but she could not practice law.

I'm not an English law scholar, but I would imagine that Chelsy would be unable to practice law as a member of the Royal family.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #804  
Old 05-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 896
Not that it matters, but Mrs. Clinton was a partner in the Rose Law Firm in Little Rock, and practiced law for the majority of time that her husband was governor. I believe that she took- and failed- the DC bar exam in the early 70's, not in 2005. At that time she was a US Senator from New York.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #805  
Old 05-13-2011, 04:02 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,829
Although she was a partner in the firm during that time, she really did paralegal work. She was not a litigator and basically operated as the firm's client magnet. Yes, I was wrong about 2005 -- but she did fail the exam. She was admitted through reciprocity to the New York and Mass. Bars. Not that it matters.

If Harry wants to wed Chelsy, I say go for it!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #806  
Old 05-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
British universities don't offer the Juris Doctor. I think the equivalent is the LLB, which, according to Wikipedia (source of all knowledge) Chelsy has already completed. LLB holders are not addressed as doctors. There could be problems for the Royal family if the firm she works for involved in anything controversial, though.

LLB is a Bachelor's Degree in Law - which Chelsy has done.

She could do further research and study and get an LLD - which is a Doctorate in Law in which case she could be called Dr.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #807  
Old 05-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Darwin View Post
Chelsey and Harry strike me as a good match. Harry just isn't the type to stay with one woman for almost seven years if she isn't right for him. He's just too free spritied I know that they haven't been together for all that time, but William and Catherine weren't together for their whole eight year courtship either, and it's been taken as a sign of how strong their relationship is.
I always think there must be something real between Harry and Chelsy, too, just because of how long they've been together; but can anyone really see Chelsy marrying into the royal family? I think what the papers say is true - she doesn't want to.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #808  
Old 05-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: everywhere, United States
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I always think there must be something real between Harry and Chelsy, too, just because of how long they've been together; but can anyone really see Chelsy marrying into the royal family? I think what the papers say is true - she doesn't want to.
I too believe that is true about Chelsy. It would be nice to see if Harry's future wife could have a job and still be a royal.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #809  
Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 582
Maybe his wife could own her own business and make her own hours. I think it would be hard to work for someone else and try to do your job and still do your royal appointments especially travel out of the country.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #810  
Old 05-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
Maybe his wife could own her own business and make her own hours. I think it would be hard to work for someone else and try to do your job and still do your royal appointments especially travel out of the country.
If Harry were to continue his military career, I don't think he'd have a full diary of royal appointments which would leave his wife with plenty of time to pursue her own career. I was thinking that if it was Chelsy and she wanted to pursue her legal career while married, perhaps she could even join the team of legal eagles that work for the Firm or even for some of the charities that Harry is patron of.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #811  
Old 05-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: everywhere, United States
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If Harry were to continue his military career, I don't think he'd have a full diary of royal appointments which would leave his wife with plenty of time to pursue her own career. I was thinking that if it was Chelsy and she wanted to pursue her legal career while married, perhaps she could even join the team of legal eagles that work for the Firm or even for some of the charities that Harry is patron of.
This sounds like some good ideas. The only problem would be the appearance that she is cashing in on her connections. This was one of the most prominent accusations thrown at Sophie and Edward. The royal family having seen the failing at their attempt at mixing the two worlds might make the family reluctant to endorse the plan.

I do hope that some agreement can be worked out. I think it would be a great way to match what appears to be Harry's career plan as Iluvbertie has said.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #812  
Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 PM
nascarlucy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Florida Area, United States
Posts: 1,336
If Chelsy pursued a legal career that involved defending people who were unpopular or controversial, she probably would not be suitable to be a royal bride in the minds of some people. Or if she had a passion about a certain issue and defended people relating to that issue, the same would be true. Even in a non-controversial legal issue, someone would make it into a controversial issue. Someone would find something as they always do to complain about or make a issue out of something which is a non-issue.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #813  
Old 05-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: everywhere, United States
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
If Chelsy pursued a legal career that involved defending people who were unpopular or controversial, she probably would not be suitable to be a royal bride in the minds of some people. Or if she had a passion about a certain issue and defended people relating to that issue, the same would be true. Even in a non-controversial legal issue, someone would make it into a controversial issue. Someone would find something as they always do to complain about or make a issue out of something which is a non-issue.
Good point about the catch-22 about life in general. I am certain that no matter what the wife does some people will hate it, even if she does just royal duties. Wonder is the same exception would apply if his wife was in the military. I know some people don't think he would marry someone like that but I am just floating a what if.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #814  
Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
This sounds like some good ideas. The only problem would be the appearance that she is cashing in on her connections. This was one of the most prominent accusations thrown at Sophie and Edward. The royal family having seen the failing at their attempt at mixing the two worlds might make the family reluctant to endorse the plan.

I do hope that some agreement can be worked out. I think it would be a great way to match what appears to be Harry's career plan as Iluvbertie has said.
As a senior member of the royal family (should she marry Harry), she most likely would be expected to get involved in charities and patronages like the rest of the family. If Harry was to continue in his military career, what better way for Chelsy to contribute than by possibly working for the legal departments of say... Sentebale for example... pro bono.

That would be an amazing contribution I think while also putting her chosen profession to good use. As she'd be donating her service, that would eliminate any negativity over using her position for profit etc.

Just an idea.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #815  
Old 05-15-2011, 12:32 AM
notyourgirl's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Neverland, United States
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
Good point about the catch-22 about life in general. I am certain that no matter what the wife does some people will hate it, even if she does just royal duties. Wonder is the same exception would apply if his wife was in the military. I know some people don't think he would marry someone like that but I am just floating a what if.
I am afraid that woman would be hated, and people would say she entered military only to meet him and get married to him... just like most people think about Tessy, the wife of Prince Louis of Luxembourg

I like Chelsy, and I would like them to be together... but if they decide that it's time to end the relationship, then well, I want to see him with someone whom he'd love and who'd love him... no more Princess Diana drama please
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #816  
Old 05-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 5
I do not like Chelsy Davy and she does not have the elegance, refinement, and serenity of the Duchess of Cambridge. I do hope that Prince Harry finds somebody in the fullness of time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #817  
Old 05-15-2011, 12:57 AM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,325
Google News is reporting from some source that she's going back to Zimbabwe, as she doesn't want to experience any more "British winter weather."

Isn't it almost summer in the northern hemisphere? Perhaps an English summer is like an African winter.

At any rate, supposedly, they're cooling the relationship off.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #818  
Old 05-15-2011, 01:35 AM
Duchess of Darwin's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
As a senior member of the royal family (should she marry Harry), she most likely would be expected to get involved in charities and patronages like the rest of the family. If Harry was to continue in his military career, what better way for Chelsy to contribute than by possibly working for the legal departments of say... Sentebale for example... pro bono.

That would be an amazing contribution I think while also putting her chosen profession to good use. As she'd be donating her service, that would eliminate any negativity over using her position for profit etc.

Just an idea.
It's a very good idea. She wouldn't be criticised for trading on her connections, because it would be her connections (her Husband's charities) that would benifit, along with a good cause, and she wouldn't be criticised for being a "little Wife" because she would be using her education.

It might not happen, but I hope it does.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #819  
Old 05-15-2011, 02:23 AM
Esmerelda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre

Good point about the catch-22 about life in general. I am certain that no matter what the wife does some people will hate it, even if she does just royal duties. Wonder is the same exception would apply if his wife was in the military. I know some people don't think he would marry someone like that but I am just floating a what if.
Or Chelsey could become a military lawyer if she's interested in that sort of thing.

I personally think it far-fetched that anyone would enter the military just to meet Prince Harry. With the risks involved and all units they could be assigned to, I don't think any rational person would accuse them of that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #820  
Old 05-15-2011, 02:29 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,152
I agree with you, Doulton. You've put things quite succinctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulton View Post
I do not like Chelsy Davy and she does not have the elegance, refinement, and serenity of the Duchess of Cambridge. I do hope that Prince Harry finds somebody in the fullness of time.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children Aussie Princess Prince Harry and Prince William 1110 07-12-2014 10:00 PM
Prince Harry 'Walking With the Wounded' Expedition to the North Pole Mar-Apr 2011 Rosapru Prince Harry and Prince William 40 04-27-2011 01:29 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth bourbon-parma charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jewellery jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman picture of the month pieter van vollenhoven pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:36 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]