Winter Holidays: 2010-2011, 2013-2015, 2017, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marie speaks Danish so beautifully, I'm really so impressed. You can barely hear her French accent anymore. Today's photo opportunity was really lovely. Athena has grown so much and I love that Nikolai is almost towering over Joachim now :D

Nice pictures, but I find it a little bit strange, that they are separate from Mary and Frederik. It was every time so nice to see the whole dutch royal family in the winterholiday in Lech. Maybe the danish are not so close to eachother?

Mary and Frederik have always favoured Verbier (even before Marie came into the family) whereas Joachim and Marie holiday in Villars because IIRC Marie has family there (there's some sort of connection to Marie's mum and stepfather, IIRC her stepfather has a ski-resort there or something). I don't see anything strange in that.

Again the weather was lovely for the photoshoot. The kids all look like they had a good time and Athena learning to ski is quite nice. I really liked how they had a pony sledge not sure what it's called for the photoshoot.

Nice pictures, but I find it a little bit strange, that they are separate from Mary and Frederik. It was every time so nice to see the whole dutch royal family in the winterholiday in Lech. Maybe the danish are not so close to eachother?
The Dutch RF traditionally does their family photoshoot in winter in Lech, the Danish RF in summer in Graasten. Are the Dutch not close because they don't take their summer holidays together?
The only strange thing is that in the Danish RF there are actually such holiday photo shoots for the queen's second son + family (and even more so than there are for the family of the crown prince: winter, summer in Cayx, Graasten). Neither Constantijn nor Friso pose(d) for the media in their holidays, except when in Lech.

If you think you can handle it, here is a cute video of in particular Athena on skis: VIDEO: Prins Nikolai og prins Felix er kærlige storebrødre i sneen | Billed Bladet
Athena couldn't care less about the press but she seems very much attached to Nikolai.
This is her third time or third day on skis, so the steering isn't quite there yet and that means that the strange adults with their cameras and questions just have to move aside...

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #8, 2015.
Written by Henrik Salling, who has followed Marie since the very beginning.

J&M along with their combined children went on skiing holiday in Villars-sur-Ollons, where our Marie incidently went to boarding school, so she knows the area very well.
And it was indeed a talkative and very proud mother and bonus-mother who showed off her children.
Athena, having her face almost obscured by goggles and a helmet, really couldn't be bother about some photographers. She was completely absorbed by this ski thing and having big brother dragging you was pretty cool! :cool:
However, learning to ski takes some balance so Athena, in the tradition of the DRF girls stuck her tongue out. (You know, gravity works better that way...:p)
But having mother push you worked as well. Athena stood there and quietly slid away (and through the pack of journalists as well). Steering and braking wasn't quite there yet though.
Marie, the proud mother, explained: "... But she's ready for it (learning to ski). It's the third day she's skiing. But she want's to do it herself. It's just so funny and she isn't afraid at all. After all Athena has only started this year. She has a good sense of balance, even though she's a bit nervous. She has been skiing three times already and I think she's enjoying it. - Athena will not be left behind by her brothers. She just has to learn to stop. But that is secondary. She has thrown herself into skiing and she's crazy about it".

But bette Henrik was skiing too, and while Nikolai cared for Athene it was Felix who looked after Henrik. That included hugging Henrik when that was needed. But Henrik is developing a will of his own! First he wanted mother to remove his goggles, and then changed his mind, so mom had to put them back on. But he isn't quite proficient yet, because when the group photo was taken, Henrik fell on his skis, causing a lot of laughter. Except from Athena, he was still busy just standing on them skis. :p
Marie explained: "They are doing really well. Especially Henrik who has become really good. The two little ones attend ski-school every day and Henrik can already ski with us. It's really fun to ski all of us together and we really enjoy it".
Henrik was pretty undaunted by obstacles. Marie said: "I don't think you can go that way, honey (*)... Oh, you can do everything, sorry".
And we also got an explanation for bette Henrik's injury on his nose. Henrik told our reporters: "I walked into the door to my room" (at Amalienborg). Marie added that he hadn't exactly walked into the door...!

Apparently bette Henrik and Athena had plagued their parents about getting a ride in a horse drawn sleigh and now that the photographers were there, they got their wish. While Joachim and Marie looked on, holding hands and whispering sweet nothings. (Henrik Salling speaks French).

Nikolai said about his younger siblings: "We can teach our little siblings a few tricks. We do have that gene about liking speed. It runs in the family".

(*) Actually she said "skat" = treasure (It's pronounced exactly like scat) and as you may know by now that is the most common name of endearment in DK. And also used by Mary.

While Joachim and Marie looked on, holding hands and whispering sweet nothings. (Henrik Salling speaks French).

how romantic :p;)
A very talkative Marie.
thanks Muhler :flowers:

I think this ski holiday speaks volumes about Joachim's side of the family and their feelings for Her Majesty. She is almost eighty-three and has just had major surgery yet they go on holiday and post photos. I hope she continues to make good progress with her recovery.

I think this ski holiday speaks volumes about Joachim's side of the family and their feelings for Her Majesty. She is almost eighty-three and has just had major surgery yet they go on holiday and post photos. I hope she continues to make good progress with her recovery.

She had surgery and is now on the road to recovery. I see nothing wrong with them being on vacation. It's not like she's in hospice and dying.

Well AFAIK Queen Margrethe didn't bother visiting Joachim either when he suffered from a stroke in France some time ago. Prince Frederik then made the trip alone to see his brother.

Well AFAIK Queen Margrethe didn't bother visiting Joachim either when he suffered from a stroke in France some time ago. Prince Frederik then made the trip alone to see his brother.

Mmm hmm. Exactly....That speaks volumes about Her Majesty if it speaks volumes about Joachim's branch.

Last edited:
Joachim's stroke was during Summer 2020 I think there were still travel and health restrictions due to covid.

Anyway always nice to see pictures of the siblings together. They look happy and skiing in the winter per usual.
I'm sure his fans love the behind the scene pics

https://app.box.com/s/jrlnbf8cym6phk3arolvkk74viiiggaz
https://app.box.com/s/dsq7cevapou7xsvm1uw9wuysxvws8zey

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #09, 2023.
Written by Marianne Singed, based on photos by Nikolai to Denmark and Benedikte Thoustrup.

The family went on skiing holiday in the Swiss town of Villars sur Ollon. A place the familiar with from many previous skiing holidays. - One of them still being clear in my memory. From 2015, where Athena for the first time went skiing - or rather she just stood there on he skis. Perhaps waiting for them to start... Until gravity and inertia slowly began to move her.
Our Marie's brother, Gregory Grandet, has been a ski-guide in the area for many years.
It appears the French winter holiday is at the same time as the Danish winter holiday, week #7 (for some schools week #8).
Benedikte Thoustrup is clearly fully integrated into the family and that's nice to see. It's rare that a teenage fling remains hot for so many years. She seems like a nice and very bright girl who is first and foremost discreet about their relationship. I.e. she doesn't talk too much.

Eml

Remember the pandemic?!

Back
Top Bottom