The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

The journey of our Marie to Ethiopia will be shown on TV2 this Saturday at 18.25. So it will last about half an hour.
It was a crew from the regional TV Syd, who often follow J&M on the job in Southern Jutland, who went with her to Africa.

Marie says in the docu: "I was less than ten years old when the great famine hit Ethiopia in the summer of 1984. Those were dreadful pictures.
I cannot imagine myself being a mother and not being ablt to feed my child.
I cannot enjoy my life without supporting and helping other people. My social commitment comes from the heart. It's important for me to be in it with my heart in what I do.
The aim is to eradicate the extreme poverty. Every individual can make a difference".

I don't expect to see it live, but I'll record it and give a summary later. And I guess the docu will be online later.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I had the opportunity to watch the docu live and I'm sure one of our newsdiggers will be able to post a link here if and when it's online.

But here is a summary.

It was at the same time a charming, heartwarming and strong documentary.

There are an estimated 20 million people in Ethiopia living in extreme poverty.
1.2 million are estimated to be infected with HIV.
But as no one knows the number of people living in Ethiopia, that figure must be considered to be a conservative estimate. – In fact the population figure in Ethiopia is plus/minus some 25 million. Repeat plus/minus 25 million!!

Marie arrived in Addis Ababa which by African standards is considered a pretty well organized city and here she met with the local head of DanChurchAid (DCA), with whom she went and is seen conversing with throughout the documentary.
The day after they went on an eleven-hour journey, which they for security reasons had to complete before darkness.
As far as I could see there were no PET officers around, but the cars drove in a particular pattern designed obviously to confuse would be attackers and a car or two drove ahead of the convoy to scout and look for suspicious cars and other unusual signs. (That has FET written all over. I.e. special forces methods).
The areas they were going to had only very recently been made accessibly for the outside world and people there had literally rarely ever seen white people before.

Marie looked tired. No doubt the long journey was strenuous. Upon arrival to their destination and the only hotel, just as darkness set in, the convoy passed a mounted wedding procession and a bus on fire, which the locals tried to put out with sand and gravel.

The next day Marie went to see a project where women had been given a modest financial backing and a course in bookkeeping in order to set up a grocery store, which was doing very well.
The men were busy in the fields because a simple irrigation project now enables them to harvest three times a year. Result: Within a few years the local community had become quite wealthy by Ethiopian standards.
The keyword was water. A well and a simple reservoir ensured water throughout the dry season and women now only had to walk at most five kilometers to get clean water, - which on top of that was safe to drink! That has made a tremendous difference.
And as an appreciation – and somewhat unexpected – the locals presented Marie with a goat. That caused some panic among her entourage. They couldn’t refuse the goat, that would be most rude, but Marie kept her head cool and graciously and gratefully accepted the goat – Joachim can look after it…

Marie also met with HIV infected locals, who until very recently were facing a certain death, but not only that, a certain death alone and in poverty, because they were ostracized. Cheap medicine had changed everything. Now they can live a practically normal life and they are no longer kicked out of their social circles.

Marie was during this trip followed by a camera team from TV2 Syd, and yes you were in no doubt as to where the journalist came from! That was a genuine Southern Jutlander, an accent Marie will now be vary familiar with.

Marie also told on a personal level how the famine in 1984 had made a big impression and how she feels she cannot do nothing, especially with the priviledged life she lives.

Finally, and I know some will think I’m biased towards our Marie, perhaps, but I’ll try not to be.
Marie’s Danish is brilliant!
I was listening to her, while she spoke to the camera but in particular when she had private conversations with other members of the team. – No difference. Marie speaking on camera is the same as Marie speaking to everybody else. The same speech pattern, same speed, same choice of words.
She has a clear accent, but her pronunciation was next to perfect. At the same level as natives. In fact we natives may actually be sloppier with our pronunciation.
I could not spot any mistake in her grammar. No problems whatsoever with the endings, which is so difficult for foreigners to master.
She speaks a relatively simple Danish but nevertheless her meaning comes across easily. I’ll predict in ten years we won’t be able to distinguish her from a native, unless you pay close attention.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Royal Highness

thanks Muhler. this trip was great. and its nice that the organization is making a big difference and that Marie can highlight and bring attention to this matter.

Nice to hear about her danish. Simple but close to perfection is great I admire her learning a language so quickly
Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Courtier

I just wish the media would report more on Joachim & Marie. Denmark should showcase them more, delightful couple
Old 04-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

As Patron of the National Association for Autism Princess Marie attended the seventh annual World Autism Awareness Day in Taastrup today, April 2nd.

** tv2.dk gallery **

** sn.dk: Se billederne: Prinsesse Marie løb for en god sag ** translation **

** BB: Prinsesse Marie løb forrest i den gode sags tjeneste ** translation **
Old 04-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Royal Highness

Marie looks great and with a positive smile. What a nice event.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, Iceflower.

Judging from the pics it seems that our Marie has a good rapport with autists and is at ease among them, so they are at ease with her as well.

IIRC she has a close relative who is autist?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

The weekly Alt For Damerne #14, 2014 bring an illustrated article about Marie's visit to Ethiopia.

I have scanned the article and here are summaries of the captions to each scan.

https://app.box.com/s/up6elvhqzr6kglk3oggl
On the way. - This is way out in the country side where even the crows bring their own lunch boxes! And where Europeans to put it mildly is a novelty, let alone Europeans who dance around with cameras.
That attracted some attention, not least among the children, who were no less baffled when a European woman jumped out of a car and presented them with bananas, water bottles and cola and talked to them in an unintelligable language.

https://app.box.com/s/t4chx59u6w0nvbtk9w3e
From top to bottom:
In the village of Jibri, where our Marie was met with applause. A new and very effective water well has been dug, and wouldn't you know? There are no longer any limits to how much water people can fetch for drinking and washing! So much water! It has completely changed the life of this village.

The now legendary goat is presented.

Mariem, age 34 and mother of eight children talks about how it was beforehand in Jibri: "Beforehand we drank of the same water as the cattle, but the water project means that we now have clean water and that is a huge improvement.
There is however still a shortage of food. Normally I can feed my family, but there are two-three months a year, where there is not enough water. We have family in other districs who have a better income than ours. When we are lacking food we borrow from them".

https://app.box.com/s/5amvpkm5ytmspvi33aei
DanChurchAid set up a water-collection-divise on the roof of the local school, which is a great incentive for the children to be send to school. (Access to clean drinking water). Actually only two children have dropped out of school since and that is most unusual!

At home with Almaz, age 35, in the village of Maliyon. Almas has a husband and four children - and HIV.
Because she was diagnoced early on, while carrying her first child, and got medical attention, none of her children have HIV.
In fact she is vicepresident of the HIV-organisation and she goes ot to teach other mothers how to avoid getting HIV, she has also formed a support group, now consisting of five members, who go out and spread information about HIV.
That increased information has meant that people with HIV are no longer outcasts and people are no longer afraid of them.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you as always for the links and summaries
Marie really "shined" in this trip. And the organization is making a difference, Im glad that work is highlighted
Old 04-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #15, 2014.
Written by Henrik Salling.

As you now Marie is patron of the Autism Association and in that capacity she took part in a one kilometre run to celebrate the International Autism Day.
She ran with 34 autists and 20 paedagogues in the town of Taastrup.
To reassure the autists the route had been walked through to familiarize them not least with the road and railway crossings along the route.
Other autist joined in later, some of which had run almost a marathon, so presumably were running with the more severe cases or those who are simply not used to running.

When Marie arrived she was naturally met by the mandatory flower girl, in the shape of Danella. She had beens asked if she would present flowers to the Princess, but had misunderstood something, she thought the flowers were for her.
The situation was resolved by giving the girl a bouguet of flowers almost as pretty as the one our Marie got.
After having completed to run getting something to drink, Marie was shown some music instruments which have proven to be of big benefit for autists.
And she mingled with people, many of whom asked if the could pose for a selfie with her, which Marie obliged to do.

Afterwards Marie confessed: "I actually don't run so much. - It was nice to run with the children. I think they did well all of them".
Old 05-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Princess Marie as Patron of the Danish Epilepsy Association handed out the research grants at the association's national convention in Odense on Saturday, May 10.

** Pic ** kongehuset.dk gallery: Dansk Epilepsiforenings landsmøde **
Old 05-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

As Patron of the AIDS Foundation Princess Marie attended the AIDS Foundation's HIV vaccine briefing on the occasion of World AIDS Vaccine Day at Amalienborg today, May 20:

** ppe gallery ** kongehuset.dk: AIDS-Fondets HIV vaccine briefing **
Old 05-22-2014, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

billedbladet.dk has a short article about the event, translation here
Old 07-22-2014, 07:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Princess Marie as patron of the AIDS Foundation visited the Department of Infectious Diseases at Aarhus University Hospital today, March 1, 2013.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** tv2oj.dk video: Prinsesse på besøg ** lehtikuva.fi gallery **

I thought the Danish posters here at TRFs may like to know that Denmark's Aarhus University has been hailed as making the "single most important advance" in AIDS research announced at the big conference currently going on here in Australia.

Danish researcher Dr Ole Sogaard, from Aarhus University Hospital, is quoted extensively in a report from yesterday.

I don't know how to post a link, but if you would like to see the details, the journalist is Julia Medew and the heading is "HIV research: Cancer drug breakthrough in "kicking" disease out of hiding place".
Old 07-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
I thought the Danish posters here at TRFs may like to know that Denmark's Aarhus University has been hailed as making the "single most important advance" in AIDS research announced at the big conference currently going on here in Australia.

Danish researcher Dr Ole Sogaard, from Aarhus University Hospital, is quoted extensively in a report from yesterday.

I don't know how to post a link, but if you would like to see the details, the journalist is Julia Medew and the heading is "HIV research: Cancer drug breakthrough in "kicking" disease out of hiding place".
Thanks, Sun Lion.
That's good news. Aarhus University has a stellar reputation in regards to medical research.
I understand however the Australia is in the forefront of AIDS research as well?

While both QMII and Frederik have attended Aarhus University, our Marie is patron of SDU - Southern Danish University.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Our Marie has a new protection: Prinsesse Marie skal øge kendskabet til ny skole | Billed Bladet

European School Copenhagen. It will open shortly and basically be an international high school with an EU standard for graduation.

That must be considered in line with other of Marie's main protections within schooling and education, not least international education. She has been very active in that regards with SDU - Southern Danish University.

Tags
princess marie, princess marie's charities and patronages