The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

i'm happy marie is taking on new roles. it seems to me that she's the number one person for taking henrik's ex-patronages, as she's been assigned as the new patron for several of his old ones.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Courtier

I think it's great that Marie is taking two of Henrik's former patronages. Good news.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Princess Marie as Patron of the DanChurchAid has attended the organization's Christmas event at Schæffergården in Gentofte yesterday afternoon, November 27.

** Pic ** fb: Folkekirkens Nødhjælp **
Old 11-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i'm happy marie is taking on new roles. it seems to me that she's the number one person for taking henrik's ex-patronages, as she's been assigned as the new patron for several of his old ones.
So far Marie had only been assigned for 1 of Henrik's old patronages (now there are all together 3), Frederik for 4, Joachim for 2 or 3 and Mary for 1. So that hardly makes Marie "the number one person for taking Henrik's ex-patronages". But I can imagine a few more of his patronages becoming hers, also some of Benedikte's perhaps.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Denmark's Crown Princess Mary speaks during the opening ceremony of the photo exhibition "Access to Life" to mark the World AIDS Day in Copenhagen, Denmark, Aug. 28, 2013.

Picture
Old 11-29-2013, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Here's some more information and a video of the opening yesterday:

** Pic ** kongehuset.dk gallery: Åbning af "Access to life" **

** BB: VIDEO Prinsesse Marie kæmper for aids-syge børn ** translation **

** globalpost.com: Copenhagen holds photographic exhibition for World AIDS Day **

Old 11-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Iceflower

Listening to our Marie in the video I should like to hear what our English speaking members, perhaps especially Americans, think of Marie's English.

1:20 Q: Being a mother does that make you fight even harder to enable other mothers to being able to have children who...
M: "Yes, of course. - But I also fight, because...it's very important to show that HIV/Aids is an illness that can be treated. And that you can have a good life if you get the right treatment.
I do see in these strong pictures here that... that people are again happy/glad".

- Marie has a very good pronounciation, which makes her very easy to understand. And she use a fairly simple Danish which is nevertheless adequate as her message is getting across.
Mary in contrast is using a more advanced vocabulary and has done so almost from day one. A vocabulary I suspect is consistent with her day to day English.
It's fascinating to compare the two. Mary who is the novice in learning a new language in earnest and who is charging head on. Which means she has to work extra hard.
And Marie the more seasoned language student, who appears to be building on experience and who seems to adhere to keeping it simple.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

She speaks english with an accent but she speaks it well. Her english is clearer than Princess Letizia's of Spain from her speech in the U.S. awhile back. Marie went to college, lived and worked in the U.S. before she married Joachim so I'd expect her to speak English as well as she does.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Nobility

While she has an accent I don't think it is that pronounced, she speaks very well in my opinion.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, dbarn67 & Marlene.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
- Marie has a very good pronounciation, which makes her very easy to understand. And she use a fairly simple Danish which is nevertheless adequate as her message is getting across.
Mary in contrast is using a more advanced vocabulary and has done so almost from day one. A vocabulary I suspect is consistent with her day to day English.
It's fascinating to compare the two. Mary who is the novice in learning a new language in earnest and who is charging head on. Which means she has to work extra hard.
And Marie the more seasoned language student, who appears to be building on experience and who seems to adhere to keeping it simple.
thanks muhler, i'm always fascinated by languages and especially people's approach to learning languages, so i enjoyed reading this on how mary and marie approached the learning of danish differently.
so would you say marie is better at pronounciation while mary has a wider vocabulary? what about grammar? how do they deal with it and how are they doing with the structure of their phrases?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
thanks muhler, i'm always fascinated by languages and especially people's approach to learning languages, so i enjoyed reading this on how mary and marie approached the learning of danish differently.
so would you say marie is better at pronounciation while mary has a wider vocabulary? what about grammar? how do they deal with it and how are they doing with the structure of their phrases?
You are welcome.

At their present level, I'd say Marie has a better pronounciation. Mary (like so many English speakers) has problems with the Æ Ø Å vovels. They exist in French and German, so our Marie has an advantage there.
Mary also tends to pronounce words in English. Marie tends to slow down and thus pronounce the words more carefully, when she's thinking about what she wants to say. Here Mary instead goes ahead at full speed.

Mary's Danish is more advanced, in regards to her vocabulary, the length of her sentences, the structure and so on.
Judging from hearing Mary speaking English I'd say she speaks Danish at a similar level as she speaks English, in regards to her choice of words and phrasing. You can tell Mary is used to presenting things orally from her past.
I don't understand French well enough to judge how Marie's level is in comparison to the way she speaks French.

Accent.
No doubt here in my mind. Mary has a heavier, or rather more noticable, accent than Marie.

Marie's grammar, because she is using a simpler Danish, is close to perfect. There are a few typical mistakes here and there but nothing serious. In fact she makes a similar number of mistakes as a native makes at conversation speed, just slightly different.
Mary struggles more with basic grammar, mainly because there is no equivalent to the, der, die, das in Danish.

Example: Car = bil.
A car = en bil.
The car = bilen.
The cars = bilerne.
Cars = Biler.
More cars = flere biler.
Slightly confusing, eh? - A typical mistake of Mary (and indeed most English speakers) is to say "en bil" instead of "bilen". I.e. putting a non-existant "the" into the sentence.(In fact she's switching to Jutlandic dialect but that's another story).Again, because Marie is using simpler words and shorter sentences she doesn't make that many basic mistakes. Or perhaps it's simply more logic to her?

Speed.
When Marie is thinking about what to say or rather thinking in the back of her head "hey, I'm Princess, better be careful what I say", then she slows down and hesitate slightly. But when she isn't in princess-mode, she's going ahead at full speed and as we know she's quite talkative as well.
Mary, that's full speed ahead all the time. Conversation speed. If she hesitates it's not because she mentally struggles with her Danish but because she's genuinely thinking about what to say. Likewise her replies are instant. She's clearly more confident than Marie.

Understanding.
Mary understands Danish perfectly. Even the subtle nuances and the constant use of irony. (It helps a lot to be Australian in that respect)!
You can also tell that she's used to debating in Danish. Again, Danish on a pretty advanced level.
Marie certainly understands day to day Danish very well if not perfectly. She may struggle if the sentences and words are getting longer and more advanced. (But so are many natives).

Marie. It's my impression that she is more exposed to day-to-day Danish than Mary is. That is from ordinary Danes. Let me explain: Mary is after all the Crown Princess and apart from her status there is a tremendous respect towards her. Apart from friends, whose speech pattern she knows and who have a fairly similar background, I don't think Mary has that many "weather and wind" conversations with ordinary Danes. Mary meets a heck of a lot of ordinary Danes but my feeling is that it is mainly as the Crown Princess and that makes a difference in a conversation.
Marie on the other hand meet more ordinary Danes in an informal setting, I believe. Like the employees at Schackenborg, when she's going through Møgeltønder village or Tønder town. The mindset and pronounciation in rural Southern Jutland, let alone the topics can be way different from Copenhagen. And in that respect Marie has a big advantage over Mary, she's a secondary princess and as such people may be more relaxed around her (more relaxed than around Joachim too for that matter), not least in Southern Jutland where she and Joachim are more or less considered one of their own. I can well imagine Marie, being a very talkative and open person, having a chat with the local baker in Møgeltønder each time she drops in for a cake.

A bit long reply, as usual, but necessary I think to understand what I mean.

No doubt other Danish members have a different perception from mine.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

More nice pics of the exhibition opening on Thursday can be found here:

** pp: Princesse Marie : Son rayonnant soutien à ceux dont la vie a basculé **
Old 12-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

On today's World AIDS Day, December 1st, Princess Marie as Patron attended the AIDS Foundation's Christmas concert at the Trinity Church in Copenhagen and lit a candle at the memorial service afterwards.

** kongehuset.dk gallery: World AIDS Day 2013 **

** BB: Prinsesse Marie til World Aids Dag ** translation **

** pp gallery: Princesse Marie : Au service de la AIDS Foundation, elle entretient la flamme **
Old 12-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, Iceflower.

Oh yeah, the American ambassador is gay IIRC. - Not that anyone here cares one hoot, it's more how he is as an ambassador and he has been pretty invisible so far.
But that'll explain why he was there in the first place.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
She speaks english with an accent but she speaks it well. Her english is clearer than Princess Letizia's of Spain from her speech in the U.S. awhile back. Marie went to college, lived and worked in the U.S. before she married Joachim so I'd expect her to speak English as well as she does.
I actually would expect her to speak it better than she does, considering that she (unlike Letizia) lived, studied and worked in an English speaking environment for 7 years.
The fact that she has a distinct accent in English after so many years (a language I assume she already learned at school) makes me doubt that her pronounciation is so much better in Danish, although perhaps a French accent mixes better with Danish than an English one.

For my non-native ears she is easy to understand because she speaks slowly and in simple sentences (whereas I have difficulties to understand a word from Margrethe). But my impression is that after 5 years (and claiming to learn languages easily) her Danish could be better. Just like her English it's not bad but not really impressive either (apart from the fact that learning to speak a foreign language fluently is always impressive to me, no matter how well you speak it in the end).
Old 12-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

A pretty severe storm is whipping DK right now, so it's good to sit here snug and warm.

Summary of articles in Billed Bladet #49, 2013.
Written by Henrik Salling.

First December was World AIDS Day and on that occasion our Marie attended a Christmas Concert in Trinitatis Church in Copenhagen.
Here she met someone she knows well ny know and whom she appears to have developed a very good rapport with, the president of the Danish AIDS Asscociation, Susse Wold. She has a gay son and a number of his friends have died from HIV, hence her commitment.

There were a number of songs and music and Susse Wold who read a fairly tale by H.C. Andersen, in English, as a curtesy to the US ambassador, Rufus Gifford, who was there with his boyfriend.

Unsurprisingly, Marie's hairdresser, Dennis Knudsen, who had just done her hair at Amalienborg, was present as well.

-------

But that's not all, Marie is patron of DanChurchAid as well. The relief organisation under the state church.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #49, 2013.
Written by Henrik Salling.

And in that capacity she attended a Christmas event in Copenhagen, where active members and staff of DanChurchAid meet, along with invited contributors and ambassadors for the organisation.
One of the ambassadors is the young and very talented singer and songwriter Mads Langer, whome Marie also met. She said: "Your songs go straight to my heart".

About DanChurchAid Marie said: "I think it has been so exciting to learn about the projects. I have travelled with DanChurchAid and (I) can see it makes a difference. I'm very proud to be a part of DanChurchAid".
Old 12-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Courtier

As patron of DanChurch Aid Princess Marie will visit Ethiopia in the period 27-31 January 2014.
H.K.H. Prinsesse Marie besøger Etiopien - Kongehuset
Old 01-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

The programme of the visit to Ethiopia has been released today:

** kongehuset.dk: Program for besøg i Etiopien ** translation **

Quote:
Monday 27 January

Lunch at the Danish ambassador in Addis Ababa
pm. 13:00
Princess Marie participates in a luncheon organized by the Danish Ambassador to Ethiopia, which will report on developments in the country and to cooperation between Ethiopia and Denmark .

Visit to ENGSKO United Milling System
pm. 14:45
(..)

Meeting with DanChurchAid
pm. 18:00
Princess Marie greets local employees from DanChurchAid's office in Addis Ababa and is informed about the organization's work in Ethiopia.

(..)

Tuesday 28 January

Departure from Addis Ababa
pm. 8.00
The Princess and the remaining participating delegation head towards Bale Mountain, which is 400 kilometers south of Addis Ababa to visit the organization's projects in local areas.

Wednesday 29 January

Visit the project in Jibri
pm. 10:30
Princess visits a community in Jibri , Goro , and gets showcased the common water pump, which was established in June 2013.(..)

Thursday, 30 January

Visit to Sinana
pm. 9.30
Princess Marie visits a project in Goro , which aims to provide information on HIV in rural communities where people with the disease are often stigmatized . Princess meets men and women who have HIV that through the project attempted re-integrate into society. (..)

Friday 31 January

Visit to Tufa - Miessa Livelihood Enhancement Project
pm. 8.30
Princess visits a project in DCA in the area Tufa - Miessa , which is vulnerable due to lack of water and one-sided focus on livestock (..)

Reception at the Danish Ambassador
pm. 19:00
Princess Marie attends a reception hosted by the Danish Ambassador to Ethiopia in the Ambassador's residence .
Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Princess Marie ready for Ethiopia trip
Prinsesse Marie klar til Etiopien-rejse | Billed Bladet

https://translate.google.com.tr/tran...-rejse&act=url

Tags
princess marie, princess marie's charities and patronages