General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 4: July 2014 - August 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Marie's engagements for today and tomorrow have been cancelled.

The Princess is currently in France with her grandmother whose health is "in serious conditions".

Afbud - Kongehuset

My best for Marie and her family.
at 97 I wish her much peace

Prinsesse Marie: Farmor er stadig syg | BILLED-BLADET
BB writes that Marie is back i DK after having visited her grandmother, who is still in a poor condition though.

So perhaps we should have a look at the relationship between Marie and her beloved grandmother.
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #49, 2015.
Written by Henrik Salling.

Baroness Odile de Sairigne is 97.
Marie told about their relationship in an interview five years ago.
When asked what role-models she grew up with, Marie responds: "The first to come to my mind is my fathers mother. She is, apart from being my grandmother, my best friend.
She's 92, but still in good shape. She's a very, very strong woman.
Even though she's been through a lot, she has all the time held her head high. That's why she is still well and healthy, I believe.
My grandmother has always been the strongest in the family and I admire her wildly". (*)

And Baroness de Sairigne was indeed the one Joachim went to officially ask for Marie's hand in marriage. - Partly I'm sure because she means so much to Marie, but also because Joachim know the position the matron has in a French family.

When bette Henrik was born, Baroness de Sairigne was among the very first to be told and she was also high on the list of people who was shown the newborn when Marie and Joachim went to France prior to the baptism. Also because Baroness de Sairigne couldn't attend the baptism.

(*) That's an expression I'm certain she picked up from Nikolai and Felix. Five years ago Marie's mastery of Danish would have been less than it is now, so it's no wonder she picked up such a (youthful) day to day expression.

:previous:"Celebrate Christmas in another way?" What he means by this?

:previous: Have some family time together, just not on Christmas Eve.

The 25th and 26th are typically family days, where you have a lunch with friends or family - or bonus-children as in this case.
For adults that's something we look just as much forward to as Christmas Eve itself.

Not to mention the movie premieres on the 26th.
So there are plenty of opportunities for quality time together between Christmas and New Year.

I realized thanks. Just thought he meant that the children they spend christmas diverse as Mary and Frederik in another country perhaps.

:previous: Like going to France?

Perhaps next year. M&F are away this Christmas, but I can well imagine J&M wanting to celebrate Christmas with our Marie's family once in a while.

The magazine edition of BB has more on Nikolai and Felix.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #50, 2015.
Written by Dorthe Quist.

The area J&M have moved to, Klampenborg, is an area where money is not an issue and where you wouldn't allow your au-pair to drive anything less than a Mercedes. - I mean, what would the neighbors think?!? :ermm:
So such an area is of course well suited to a sales-reception of luxury goods.
That took place at Skovshoved Hotel located just a few hundred meters from J&M's home.

Arriving around 18.00 our Marie darted inside to have a closer look at among other things, fashion by Rikke Gudnitz, jewellery by Christine Hvelplund and bags from Cosi. - Joachim however kept back and enjoyed a glass of wine with a few other men, whose wives were also otherwise engaged... :D
And accompanied by Rikke Gudnitz Marie did indeed spend an hour looking around.

The whole thing last only a couple of hours and it's only for invited guests. - No paupers here please! (Paupers being defined as those who only have one Porsche) :p

Afterwards Joachim said: "There certainly was lots of inspiration" (for Christmas presents). Joachim was seen looking at a Cartier watch. - But nothing was bought or ordered though.
Joachim also gave a few more details on Nikolai and Felix. He explained that they have some kind of Christmas get-together with his oldest sons before and after Christmas.

Marie's grandmother is still very poor, and Marie said: "It was really good that I was able to be with her".

Sad to hear Princess Marie's grandmother is still that ill.

Iben Detlefs who was Joachims great love when he was in his youth, has died from cancer aged 48.
Historien om Iben og prins Joachim: Hun dømte ham som 'arrogant' - men så forelskede hun sig - Danmark | www.bt.dk

Iben Detlefs came from a small town in Jutland, from parents who had divorced. They met when she was 22 and he was 19 and Joachim fell in love on the spot.
Initially she didn't like him much, actually she didn't like him at all, she thought he was arrogant. But after having wooed her for three months she gave in and fell in love with Joachim well.
They were very close for the next five years and the press was certain she was the one to marry Joachim.
She was discreet, spoke French, knew how to use utensils and endeared herself to the Regent Couple.
But she also had her problems. Her mother got and Iben basically had to take over and be responsible for her younger brother.
Then Joachim went to Hong Kong to work in shipping (IIRC) for Mærsk and one day she got a call, it was over...

Two years later Joachim married Alexandra.
Iben also married a few years later.

She remained on friendly footing with the DRF and was invited to QMII 50th birthday and the Regent Couple's silver anniversary.

She remained friends with Joachim and as such her death must have affected him.

It is always sad to lose a friend especially this time of year. The prince family is dealing with an ill grandmother of Princess Marie also. I hope they find time to relax a little.

On the occasion of our Marie turning 40 in a few days she is giving a number of interviews it seems.

Also in the online version of the serious paper Jyllands Posten today.
She's pretty frank I'd say.
I haven't got time to write a summary let alone a translation, but she clearly leaves the impression of a young woman who had no expectations of ever becoming famous. A woman who lived an ordinary, albeit fairly privileged life without too many financial concerns.
So it was a huge culture shock when she suddenly caught the attention of the press when she started dating Joachim in earnest. And that attention almost resulted in her not marrying Joachim.
But she's clearly smitten with the man and in the end decided to join the DRF after doing some research it seems into what the DRF was and what it means to the Danes.

She seems to have found a comfortable balance now between being royal with all that entails in the form of duties and perks and being Marie, the wife and mother of two children, whom she obviously adore.

BB will also publish an exclusive interview in the next issue and I expect that to be better illustrated and perhaps more personal. - Marie is wonderfully talkative. :p

Last edited:
On the occasion of our Marie turning 40 in a few days she is giving a number of interviews it seems.

Also in the paper version of the serious paper Jyllands Posten today.
She's pretty frank I'd say.
I haven't got time to write a summary let alone a translation, but she clearly leaves the impression of a young woman who had no expectations of ever becoming famous. A woman who lived an ordinary, albeit fairly privileged life without too many financial concerns.
So it was a huge culture shock when she suddenly caught the attention of the press when she started dating Joachim in earnest. And that attention almost resulted in her not marrying Joachim.
But she's clearly smitten with the man and in the end decided to join the DRF after doing some research it seems into what the DRF was and what it means to the Danes.

She seems to have found a comfortable balance now between being royal with all that entails in the form of duties and perks and being Marie, the wife and mother of two children, whom she obviously adore.

BB will also publish an exclusive interview in the next issue and I expect that to be better illustrated and perhaps more personal. - Marie is wonderfully talkative. :p

thanks for the summary mulher, i loved hearing about it. it's the image and idea i have of marie so i am glad that she is what she portrays to be.

Marie on the cover of BilledBladet where she gave an interview
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...bgrafik_02-02-2016_1200x675.jpg?itok=Q0CCLv9I

in this preview, she talks a little bit on her relationship with Mary and Frederik
Prinsesse Marie til BILLED-BLADET: Sådan er mit forhold til Mary og Frederik | BILLED-BLADET

"- They are so sweet. They are busy and so have we. So it can sometimes be difficult to find time to meet. But when we meet, it's very cozy. Both couples have the four children, so there is time for it when we meet. All eight children have great together, says the princess

"- It might have been difficult, but I feel very fortunate. Our family is very natural. A warm family, says the princess, who also finds good support in Princess Mary, themselves have been in the same situation as Marie.

- Crown Princess will of course also from a different country, so we talk together and exchange some items. It's good to have good support in the family, like my husband, of course, have been."

another part of the interview
Prinsesse Marie åbner op: Sådan er vores hverdag - Herognu
where she talks about their new home and how they have little help.

"There is no cook at home in Klampenborg, so replace Prince Joachim and Princess Marie to cook for the family, and there are no hard feelings from Prince Joacim the prospect to cook - he is in fact happy to be in the kitchen ."

on having Nikolai and Felix over
"- It is so important to give space and show them that it is still their home. Although the prince and I now have two children, so it is important for me that I am the same to all four. There is no difference. There must never be one who feels that there be two sets. They should feel at home and be comfortable with us, says Princess Marie Jyllands-Posten and reveals that Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix come as often as they like - they must, however, remember to give notice if they want to eat with ."

Daily Mail have discovered our Marie it seems: Is Princess Marie of Denmark a right royal copycat of Princess Mary? | Daily Mail Online

Even though they are slightly off the mark in regards to Mary and Marie having an identical style. Even I can see that!
And apart from being brunettes with brown eyes they don't resemble each other much.
Instead DM hints that there might (could be/should be/must be/please let there) be rivalry between them.

Is it just me that thinks it would have been nice if they included her stepsons in the family photo:ermm: They always try to present them as this united group, and Marie seems to be close, but then they leave them out of a family shoot.

I think it's fine. Sometimes when you take a family photo, not everyone is around. They are away at school, camp, their other parents.

It's not like its a habit that Felix and Nikolai are not photographed with their father, stepmother and half siblings.

Some of the HOLA interview. In no way is this an exact translation. Just me summarizing a bit :flowers:

They met HOLA at 11am in the morning at Christian VIII Palace

They asked Joachim what threw his attention to Marie when they first met. "Do you have any doubt" answers Joachim and laughs. He said he was one of the few that spoke french so they sat together and talked. He was still married and notes that the romance began much later ;)
what are the better qualities of your wife, she is popular in Denmark?
Joachim: Marie has the ability to impact the people's heart directly. She tries to put herself in other people's shoes. She is also pretty and photogenic, but once you talk to her you know that there is more to her.
Joachim about Nikolai and Felix: they are both good boys with great character. They are also older and can take care of the younger siblings and teach them new things. It helps the family unit
Joachim: Henrik also has a good character but he can be a bit stubborn. Athena has a strong attitude and when its her and the boys, its is her who governs . she is the viking of the family :lol: They are both normal kids that we try to teach to behave when at events and to smile at the photographers. Its a normal upbringing, Henrik doesnt like being called prince at school.

why name them Henrik and Athena?
Marie: I have always like the name Henrik even before meeting Joachim. Athena is a very strong name that I have always like and has a beautiful history

How was growing up with the Queen as your mother? the public love her, can you talk on her personality?
Joachim:My mom became Queen when I was two, for me she was always the Queen and I became aware from a young age that she as a mother would not be at home all the time. She has always been interested in the government and even at the age of 31 she took her role seriously. Besides her role she is an artist that loves to draw, paint..My father plays the piano and writes, I grew up in an artsy home

What has been the biggest obstacles in becoming a public person?
Marie: that everyone has an opinion on you. Its difficult but I learned quickly that you cant please everyone and you shouldnt try to.

You left New York after the attacks of 9/11. Do you think it was destiny to meet Joachim after so many years away from Europe? Did you imagine being princess of Denmark?
Marie: I spent 6 years in the USA, it was a wonderful time. Im convinced it was destiny to meet Joachim as i had no plans to return to Europe. I loved my life in NY and had finally found the city for me, but with the economy going down my company suffered and I wasnt able to renew my visa. I was upset at the time but I thanked God because look who I met, Joachim. It was destiny, you can do alot of things but loive and destiny have a way to write things in in ones life

Marie: Nikolai and Felix are incredible. I thought it might be difficult. I come from a divorced household, my father married three times and being a stepmother is not easy. But it was very fluid from the start. the boys are very nice and incredible, curious and intelligent. When they visit I treat the same as Henrik and Felix.

Was is easy to become the second wife of Joachim?
Marie: Becoming the third princess consort, after princess Mary and the first wife of Joachim, was a challenge. It was difficult to form my role, and have patience,. I learned to find themes to focus on that were of interest to me and that I felt secure in

I learned from the Queen the sense of duty. She is a very intelligent woman, her and Joachim are like twins in talking about history

Almost 8 years of marriage what is the secret?
Marie: Love, respect, understanding, commitment, liberty and trust.

Why sell Shackenborg ?
Joachim: it was difficult to maintain financially. My time attending to the farms took up alot of time and interfered with my royal duties. For many years i tried to combine the two but it was hard. I loved it there but also it was complicated with Nikolai and Felix visiting. They has to attend two different schools, we wanted to be closer to them in Copenhagen.

Henrik's retirement and a possible abdication for the Queen:
Joachim: He is 81 years old, and after 50 years of service, although with a lot of energy still he wanted to focus more on his art, literature and music. To enjoy his last years in peace and calmness. He will still support the Queen just not in alot of official events, but still be a loving husband, present father and fun grandfather.
My mother has made it clear. she will stay on the throne. In case she is not in condition to reign for whatever circumstance, it will be the Crown Prince that takes on those duties. So she will remain on the throne, we have grown up with this tradition (in the royal family) and thus we agree with it.

:previous: Thanks, Polyesco :flowers:

There are distinct advantages of being the kid-sister in a group of siblings. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom