Princess Marie, Current Events Part 1: March 2009 - June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #21, 2014.
Written by our reporter in the countryside Trine Larsen.

Who went to Gavnø Manor, where a new tulip named after our Marie was to be presented and that's a very official ceremony!
Present were Marie as well as Helle Reedtz-Thott, a close friend of both M&F and M&J.
So far there are only 1.000 tulips in the world carrying the name "Princess Marie".
When Marie first saw the new tulip she exclaimed: "How beautiful it is".

This is actually the third tulip named after Danish royals, the first being Queen Ingrid from 1955, the second being Crown Princess Mary from 2009.

Helle Reedtz-Thott explained: "By cristening the tulip Princess Marie, we continue a centuries old Dutch tradition about christening the brith of each new flower that has been approved and accepted in the official list at Holland's Royal Onion Producers Association".

Marie was presented with a speciment of the new flower on a pillow handed to her by a young women dressd in Dutch national attire. Marie sprinkled the tulip with water and said: "May the seeding of you each autumn remind of the need for being visionary. May your long wither sleep be a testament to your patience. May your blossoming each spring inspire joy and renewal. - I christen you Princess Marie".
Then Mary signed an official document that will be send to the Netherlands to be formally registered.

Unsurprisingly it's a Dutchman who has produced the new tulip.

While there Marie also met Otto Reedtz-Thott.

Present were Marie as well as Helle Reedtz-Thott, a close friend of both M&F and M&J.
While there Marie also met Otto Reedtz-Thott.
And we all know that Baron and Baroness Reedtz-Thott are the owners of Gavnø :flowers:

:previous: Thansk, Iceflower :flowers:

I can add that the sale of Lego is booming! And that the company is now bigger than Matell, the Barbie company.

But then it's a durable toy! Some of the Lego bricks I played with as a child, has now been passed on to fourth generation of users. (I was second generation). I don't anyone really outgrow Lego.
So again the DRF is promoting Danish commerce. - And the Lego family is pretty close to Joachim and our Marie privately.

Thanks Roskilde & Polyesco :flowers:

The gentlemen present appear to be charmed by our Marie...
http://royalista.com/wp-content/ima..._charity-work_official-work_autox500@1.5x.jpg

Marie is perfect for that sort of more intimate interaction with people. Being the chatty type of person she is, I can very well believe she and the lady had a nice chat about this and that - and they most likely both enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Answering a question that has weighed heavily on my mind. "How many royal does it take...?":p

You are wicked, TLLK :p

The answer is: never more than one. (Explanation will follow).

There is an anecdote about some young men wishing to be admitted to an (British) officers academy, but there was only one vacancy left, so who to select?
It was decided to give them a test:
You are to construct a trench thirty feet long, three feet wide, six feet deep. Secure the walls with poles for every 1.6 yards and the trench must angle 38 degrees for every eight feet. You must also cover nine feet of the trench with planks and cover the planks with one foot of earth.
All the applicants started to measure up, discuss and sweat, except for one... He turned to an NCO and said: "Sergeant, dig a trench thirty feet....". He was admitted.

- Same thing with royals...

Thanks Polyesco. :)

It's handy to have a Civil Defence officer around... http://brs.dk/omstyrelsen/presse/nyheder/PublishingImages/2014/09/prinsessen-og-brandsikker-bolig/brandsikker-bolig-6-foto-Henrik-L%C3%BCthcke-hires.jpg
(That kind of steps ought to be banned. They are hopelessly unsafe).

But it's serious enough. Every second fire related death in DK involves an elderly. - Typically because they smoke in bed, in a chair and fumble or fall asleep - and that's the end...
Or forget a pot on the stove, or put something inflammable on the stove. - So the firealarms being put up are perhaps not so much to warn the elderly, but rather the neighbors.

I noticed a couple of things: Our Marie was for once accompanied by an adjutant. Presumably because this involved the Total Defence.
I also noticed a police officer nearby - which is just as rare.

The whole thing with firealarms is inspired by successfull initiatives in England and Norway.

Last edited by a moderator:
;) Thank you for the ultimate compliment Muhler. Loved the anecdote. :lol:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #40, 2014.
Written by our urban reporter, Henrik Salling.

Who, along with our Marie's LiW, Britt Siesbye, went to New York for the World Focus on Autism, which took place at Hotel Hilton.

Marie first went to see the Danish general-consul, Jarl-Friis Madsen. And here was a reception where a number of representatives for Danish businesses were present among them fro Vestas (whose top management are personal friends of J&M and Lego, the Lego family also being friends of J&M).
Then it was off to the conference. A number of prominent first ladies were present: Among them Ban Soon Tek, wife of Ban Ki-moon, and Margaret Gakou Kenyatta.
Apparantly Marie didn't give a speech but she was observed eagerly taking notes.

Afterwards she sat down withour reporter and they had a chat about what went on. Marie explained: "There are way too many who don't know enough about autism. Fortunately it's nice that there is much more focus on autism now. And it's dificult for me to understand why it has been ignored for so many years. It afflicts so many and it's very hard for the afflicted families.
Eotionally and economically it has a big impact on the afflicted families. Many mothers saty at home, because they must look after the children, because it can be difficult to find institutions (kidnergartens and nurseries) and get the necessary help. So I've been really pleased to hear that things are going better in a lot of countries.
To the meeting today 40 countries were represented and that was very inspirering and motivating. I think we are now ready to make concrete and genuine changes for the children and the families. You really muct not forget the families who are severely affected".

Q: You wished to join the work yourself, why?
M: "It's no secret that there is autism in my family. It's my step-brother's son. They have been and still are severely affected.
I know the family and have seen how hard it is for them.
They have been so dedicated and now they have fortunately got the help they needed. That has helped in their life and now they are happy. And soon they will have a child more, so it's so lovely".

Q: How did you react the first time you met your step-brother's son?
M: "Autism is very complicated. There are so many varying degrees and ways. It's an developement disorder - and that's why it often takes so long for people to react. It can be hard to diagnose due to the various degrees and ways.
It's important that people with autism get an active role in the society and I mself fight to prevent it being a stigma.
I think it was fantastic to get a small glimpse of what technology migh do for children with autism. As yet they don't know how much the Google-glasses can help, but even if it's only visions it's still exciting.
I have a lot to tell my association in Denmark.
It was fantastic to meet all the many "first ladies" and hear how they work in other countries. I hope they (the DK association) will listen now that I may come home with some new ideas".

But Marie also found time to promote Danish commerce while in New York. In this case an newly opeed Lego store on 5th Avenue. While Marie was equipped with a scissor made from lego-bricks, the manager for Lego in USA and the Danish general-consul used genuine scissors to cut a ribbon and thus open the store.
After a tour of the store Marie and her LiW strolled to a lunch at a nearby reastaurant, Sea Grill at the Rockefeller Center.
But even though New York was Marie's home for 3½ years it wasn't easy to find. Marie smiled to our reporter: "It's almost embarrassng. We can't find the restaurant".

Marie also talked to Henrik Salling about being back in New York: "It's utterly fantastic to be back". But she hasn't been to New York much since she moved away: "Actually I haven't been here a lot since I lived here myself.
I feel at home here. It's my city. It's a coool city. That's a word my children have taught me to use...". (The Danish word for cool is "fed" which actually means fat, so our charming Marie said: feeed = faaaat = coool. - And now you've learned a foreign word today :p).

And here is a BB video from Marie's visit to the only clock-maker school in DK, which she visited recently: VIDEO med prinsesse Marie på urmagerskole | Billed Bladet

The woman with the curly hair, is Minister for Education, Christine Antorini. She is often seen near Marie, because Marie is so involved with education.
Our Marie recieved a handmade watch and afterwards she told the reporters about her impression. Having lived in Switzerland clock-making is hardly a novelty, in fact several of her friends are clock-makers.

Her Danish is still pretty impressive. She is still using fairly simple words and sentences, but her pronounciation and grammar is virtually faultless.

Last edited:
Her Danish is still pretty impressive. She is still using fairly simple words and sentences, but her pronounciation and grammar is virtually faultless.

thanks, it's interesting to know, for us non danish speakers, how she's getting on with her danish. in my opinion, pronounciation is a big demonstrator of people perfecting a language. image does count, and pronounciation is the language equivalent for image. i also heard by someone some time ago that it's only when you can speak well, and feel confident in what you are saying, that one can really get better at pronouncing, because thinking about the grammar is not a problem for you anymore and you can concentrate on other aspect of the language.

:previous: Well, I'm certainly impressed by our Marie's mastery of the grammar.

Knowing very little French myself I can't speak first hand about French grammar but I understand it's very difficult.
However, I've heard many talk about Danish grammar being similar to German (which I can't see!) and Marie, having lived in Switzerland, will have been exposed to German.

And what you say sounds very plausible to me.

Last edited:
Marie is always stunning and seems to be genuinely interested.

:previous: Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Good grief, she speaks fast now! :eek: If she continues like that then in a few years even her accent will be imperceptible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom