Princess Marie, Current Events Part 1: March 2009 - June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How was Alexandra knowness of the Danish language ?
Is Princess Marie speaking better as Crown Princess Mary ?

How was Alexandra knowness of the Danish language ?
Is Princess Marie speaking better as Crown Princess Mary ?

Alexandra speaks extremely good Danish and she mastered the language pretty early. No least helped IMO by the fact that she already spoke several languages.

Mary speaks, understands and naturally reads a considerably more advanced Danish that our Marie.
Marie on the other hand speaks a simpler and more day to day Danish, with an almost flawless grammar and pronunciation. So IMO Marie is ahead of Mary when it comes to basic grammar, pronunciation and her accent is much less obvious.

Both women speak Danish in conversation speed.

I should like to hear M&M crack a spontaneous joke, the most difficult thing to do in any new language, that would really be an indication of how advanced their mastery of Danish subtleties is.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #9, 2015.
Written by Dorte Quist.

Our Marie has been on the job too lately. When she visited Southern Jutland. To be exact the new innovation house Mind Factory in the town of Tønder, just down the road from Schackenborg.
The house has been established by ECCO, with whom both Mary and Alexandra have worked with closely before.
The innovation house is located next to Tønder Commerce High School and Business School and it's basically a workshop for the local and the students from the local schools to come and exchange, work on and develop ideas. Education being very much Marie's area.

Marie said an the inauguration of the Mind Factory: "I have lived most of my Danish life in Møgeltønder and I feel something very special for this local area.
When I moved here the area became home to me and my family and it's an area and a people who are frank and who welcomed me warmly to become a part of the region. Down here the sentence: We can and We want applies and that to me is something very special for this region in Denmark".

Marie had a chat with the students and were shown some of the ideas they had come up with and that included goofing around a bit with the students and having a good laugh.
As usual Marie exchanged a few words with the press on the way out. She wasn't going to drive by Schackenborg she explained because she had to go back to Copenhagen.

Thanks, iceflower :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #18, 2015.
Written by Dorte Quist.

While their children remained in Aalborg Zoo, Joachim and our Marie went downtown so that Marie could become an official member of the Christian IV's Guild. The article doesn't specify what the purpose of the guild really is, but they have some interesting members on the list. Joachim, the Regent Couple, president Reagan and Walt Disney.

With Joachim sitting in the background Marie was admitted to the guild under general merriment. First the members had to walk in procession, with the left hand on the right shoulder of the person in front. But Marie must have been sleeping during the instructions because she put her hand on the left shoulder of the man in front, wrong! Hmm, then the hand on the other shoulder, or was it the other hand? Or perhaps both hands on the shoulder of the of the guy in front. Ah, the left hand on the right shoulder, got it!
The members went inside and here Marie was required to eat two red sausages and drink a cup of mead. then she was a member.
Shortly after the children with their nanny and the four legged furry creature named Apple came from the Zoo to join them, so it was time to head for the airport to fly home.

Tuesday, May 5 attended HRH Princess Marie Emergency Management Agency chief course for managers in disaster preparedness authorities, companies and organizations throughout Scandinavia at Havreholm Slot. The picture shows Princess Marie next director of Emergency Management Henning Thiesen and directors and managers from disaster preparedness.

kongehuset.dk picture gallery

Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #23, 2015.
Written by Ken Richter.

Our Marie went to the sports day in the town of Aabenraa, where a number of southern Jutlandic special schools for children with mental or physical handicaps get together.
And here she took a very active part in the various events, some of them being almost a little dangerous.
One of them being a kind see how many milk-boxes stacked on top of each other you are brave enough to stand on.
One child who brave was Benjamin age ten: "I'm brave and I dare do". So he was standing on more and more milk boxes, while a teacher and Maire held his hands. In the end he was so high up that Marie had to stand on a box simply to still be able to hold his hand. She exclaimed: "I can't reach any higher".
Back on ground Marie said: "You are my hero".
Benjamin liked that! "She said I was her hero".

Marie also took part in another test, where she with ten year old Camillia, walked sideways while balancing two water filled glasses between them.

She also started a 400 meter relay run, and mingling with as many chidlren as possible.

Today, our Marie will see and take part in various exercises and demonstration by the Civil Defense on the island of Bornholm for the yearly Total Defense Day.
Prinsesse Marie til Beredskabets Dag
The purpose is to show the public what the Civil Defense is capable of and try to recruit future conscripts and volunteer members.

Marie will be sailing along the coast in search of a "missing person" as well as lifting a truck using a cushion.

The whole show with Marie is scheduled to last some 1½ hour. So I think we can expect photos in 4-5 hours from now.

Last edited:
Very interested event. And after so long to see Marie again . Maybe and someone children too? :flowers:

A very good video from BB: VIDEO: Prinsesse Marie tog roret | billedbladet.dk

The weather was great for once, so lots of people had showed up.
Marie was shown various exhibitions before being taken out in a rescue boat. Which she sailed safely back again to the quay.
Then she tried lifting a truck with an inflatable cushion, before giving an interview to the press and driving away in a Civil Defense truck.

It was her first visit to Bornholm.
Her title is Korpsmester a la suite = equivalent to a first lieutenant - without a command.
I noticed she in keeping with the older tradition of the Civil Defence did not wear a headgear, to emphasize the civilian nature of the organization. Unless for warmth or work. In contrast to the military where headgear outside is mandatory.
Our Marie sure has a talent for languages!
She speaks fast, with very few in any grammatical mistakes and with only a slight accent, making her very easy to understand. It's actually only a slightly odd intonation on some words that stands out.

Not sure if you can watch this news clip: http://www.tv2bornholm.dk/\net-tv?videoID=219431&dag=01.08.2015

Marie also visited the most well known of the round churches on Bornholm before going home.

For the fashionistas: The outfit Marie is wearing is a Ministry of Interior design. ;)

Gotta go, we are expecting guests.

I found a four month old video featuring our Marie when she visited the Civil Defense training ground near the town of Tinglev: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDf-CxBHbp8

Last edited by a moderator:
A very good video from BB (..)
Tak Muhler. :) Honestly I'm impressed that Marie has learned Danish so very quickly as her native French is so very different. Does Prince Henrik make similar mistakes being native French speaker as well? I'm wondering if Countess Alexandra's understanding/speaking German made is easier for her to learn Danish?

Tak Muhler. :) Honestly I'm impressed that Marie has learned Danish so very quickly as her native French is so very different. Does Prince Henrik make similar mistakes being native French speaker as well? I'm wondering if Countess Alexandra's understanding/speaking German made is easier for her to learn Danish?

You are welcome. :)

No, our Marie's spoken Danish is way superior to PH.
Oddly enough PH's understanding of Danish and all the subtleties is perfect I'd even say better than the average native.
But his spoken Danish is poor. He constantly makes basic grammatical mistakes and his accent is notoriously heavy.
Marie actually rarely makes significant grammatical mistakes. Her mistakes are some a native could do while chatting ahead.
The funny thing about Marie is that her intonation is sometimes off. Difficult to explain but it can be compared to pronouncing Adidas as a-DI-sas.

Marie speaks a day to day Danish and that she does very well indeed! In contrast to Mary, she does not express herself using advanced sentences and advanced words.
Alexandra is way past that point. She now only has a very slight accent.

I've heard many times before people saying that it is a lot easier if you have learned German first, and understand German grammar. And I've heard it so often that there must be some truth to it. This is however something I honestly can't understand. Because to me, and I dare say most Danes, German grammar is very difficult and confusing.

A little note. I have experienced on a number of occasions that foreigners learning Danish find the southern Jutlandic accent the most easy to understand. My guess is that it is a lot softer than say the Copenhagener accents that are very hard, and in contrast to the Funen accent that can be downright melodic ad thus more distracting. Akin to Irish English.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #35, 2015.
Written by Dorte Quist.

Wearing shoes from Louboutin Marie arrived at Copenhagen habour, pretty close to Amalienborg for an outdoor meal in connection with Copehagen Cooking, that is aimed at promoting Danish cuisine.
Upon arrival our Marie was naturally presented with a bouquet. An edible bouquet, consisting of plants and herbs.
Here she gave a speech about the gastronomic revolution that has gone through Scandinavia within the past couple of decades. (Before then Scandinavian cooking had a very low or no reputation abroad).

She said: "The food-culture means a lot to all of us. Ten-fifteen years ago a gastronomic revolution started in Copenhagen that has spread all over the country, indeed to all of Scandinavia.
Copenhagen is consistently spoken about as one of the most important gastronomical cities in the world. That we must hang on to. And that the food-festival helps to ensure.
I look forward to experience and taste the festival. Bon appetit".
The theme for the festival is community. I.e. eating with others.

The reporter praise Marie's Danish.

Princess Marie has attended the inauguration of the new campus in Tønder today, August 29:

** jv.dk gallery **

This afternoon, September 3, Princess Marie opened the exhibition "Georg Jensen. An adventure in Danish silver." in Kolding.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** tvsyd.dk video and gallery: PRINSESSE MARIE SÅ PÅ SØLV **

** jv.dk gallery: Prinsessen åbnede årets satsning på Koldinghus **

** BB: VIDEO: Smukke prinsesse Marie var bjergtaget af Georg Jensen-udstilling ** translation **

Thanks Iceflower. :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #37, 2015.
Written by Ken Richter.

The Georg Jensen exhibition takes place right now in the medieval castle of Koldinghus (*) and it's supposed to be in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the birth of the silversmith Georg Jensen. But that's really in 2016, but for whatever reason it takes place this year.
Whatever, our Marie inaugurated the exhibition that runs for the next six months and she was pretty enthusiastic and encouraged everyone to come and see it: "It's so beautiful and I can warmly recommend it".

On the occasion Marie wore a necklace from George Jensen with a Dew Drop pendent-thingy made by Viveanne Torun

(*) The castle is strategically located and as such has had a significant role in Danish history. It blew up in 1808 but has now been restored.
For those interested in words and their origins: The word "hus" in Danish today means house, but in medieval times "hus" meant a large stone building and that would cover anything from a rich merchants stone house to a cloister to a castle. Houses built from stone were rare here in DK some 800 years ago.
As such the oldest castles we have here in DK almost all have the word "hus" in the name, like Koldinghus, Hammershus and so on.
The younger palaces and castles have the word "borg" in the name. I.e. Christiansborg, Amalienborg, Egeborg and so on. "Borg" being derived from the German "burg" meaning castle.

So for the British in particular: If you encounter a name for a location in especially eastern England containing "hus" you now know what it means.

Our Marie has been out and about again: Prinsesse Marie så på japansk blomsterkunst | billedbladet.dk

Today she visited Ikebana International Copenhagen Chapter's 50th anniversary exhibition. - Which is about the Japanese art of flower decoration.
Not because she's a patron, she was the guest of honor. Marie has become interested in flower arrangement and she was indeed keenly interested.

The lady in a Japanese kimono looked great. Ikeabana arrangement were lovely.

i love marie's blouse, it looks feminine and very appropriate for the event!

Our Marie has been out and about again: Prinsesse Marie så på japansk blomsterkunst | billedbladet.dk

Today she visited Ikebana International Copenhagen Chapter's 50th anniversary exhibition. - Which is about the Japanese art of flower decoration.
Not because she's a patron, she was the guest of honor. Marie has become interested in flower arrangement and she was indeed keenly interested.

Looks like Countess Sussie af Rosenborg attended the opening too (woman in centre).

It seems to have a close relationship Marie with the Countess Sussie . I think some time ago were together again in an event if I am wrong.

I see our Marie is to take part in (or more likely observe) the annual KRISØV 2015 this week.

It's not a physical excersize as such, but a drill for going through the various procedures for the decision makers involving the total defense.

This year the scenario is that a Russian nuclear powered ship collides with a large freighter in the Danish straits.
So that involves naturally the navy and Navy Home Guard and the government environmental ships for combating pollution.
It will also involve the air force for surveillance and for testing for radioactive leakages.
It will involve special wards at the hospitals or setting up special field hospitals for treating victims who have been exposed to radioactivity.
And so on and so up until the worst case scenario. I.e. a radioactive cloud emitting from the ship and having to evacuate parts of DK and naturally involving neighboring country.

The media is also involved because a part of the drill is to release press announcements and record TV and radio broadcasts for the public.

Even though the drill involves the most senior decision makers, it's unlikely to involve government ministers, but instead the civil servant in charge of the relevant ministries. For the simple reason that the current government or minister could be gone next week, and it's the senior civil servants duty to advise the minister, so the civil servant has to know the procedure.
For those who have been through this it's very intense! And I must admit I envy Marie, I would very much like to observe such an excersize.

- Such drills were also standard during the Cold War, both on government level and on regional level. (I know a good deal about the regional level, because I was involved in that myself, but that's another story).

On the government level it was the same sort of people who took part. The drills took place in the REGAN bunkers and the scenario was that there was a major crisis between NATO and the Warsaw Pact.
At some point it was decided to evacuate some members of the DRF to the REGAN bunkers along with key members of the government, but not their families.
Hostilities broke out, culminating in an invasion of Denmark with bridgeheads being established at various points. At some point chemical weapons and tactical nuclear weapons would be used.
The drills always ended when strategic nuclear weapons were to be launched.
- And this is where the regional HQ's took over to deal with the aftermath of a nuclear exchange.

That the drills always ended at this point is really pretty obvious. The Soviets knew perfectly well where the REGAN bunkers were located and they would be targeted and knocked out or at the very least rendered de facto inoperable.
As such it is unlikely that QMII, PH and Frederik would have survived.
Joachim might have a chance as he would very likely have been taken to a regional HQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom