Princess Marie as Patron of the Danish National Commission for UNESCO

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Thanks, Polyesco.

I hadn't noticed the video. Our Marie reminds me of the newsanchors in the old days.
Charming that she didn't use a teleprompter.

Important topic as well.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

For those who wish to have a closer look at our Marie's dress and learn the details, here is an article with pics from Royalista: Prinsesse Marie i fantastisk pink kjole - Royalista

It doesn't seem to be in English yet, so I can inform you that her clutch is from Miu Miu and she was wearing a diamond brooch on her shoulder.

Last edited:
Summary of two articles in Billed Bladet #22, 2014.
Written by Henrik Salling.

As you know Marie is patron for UNESCO DK, and in that capacity she went to Roskilde Cathedral, which is among three sites in DK on the list of World Heritage sites.
There were also children from schools in Denmark as well as Lebanon present.
And in her speech our Marie switched between Danish, English and French. (*) She said in her speech: "This church means an incredible lot to Denmark and for the royal family, my family".
The Lebanese children from Antonine International School were in Denmark as a part of an international cultural exchange.
Issued an iPad and with an app from the Ministry of Culture Marie also acted as a kind of tourguide.

But Marie also went to the DR1 Concert Hall, with children from schools in Copenhagen. Here she watched various entertainment and it's all a part of another international cultural exchange, CICLO 2014, between schools from DK, Brazil, South Africa and Russia.
Marie was among the childre, who hugged her and wouldn't let her go - litterally. Eventually she did manage to get free of the enthusiastic children

Marie was seen wearing a new ring (more on that in the jewel thread) instead of her wedding ring.
Her pink dress was from Jara Jarmon. Her shoes from By Malene Birger.

(*) Beforehand French was a very common second language in Lebanon, I assume children are still taught French there.

Marie has been quit busy with the UNESCO events, its great seeing her and how warm she is with the people she meets.
Thanks for all the updates and pictures.

Princess Marie as Patron of the Danish National Commission for UNESCO visited Højerup on the occasion of the celebration of Stevns Klint's inclusion on UNESCO's World Heritage List. Stevns Klint is a cliff in the southeast of the Danish Baltic Sea island Seeland.

** Pic ** sn.dk gallery ** seoghoer.dk: Marie kastede glans over Stevns ** translation **

** bt.dk video: Prinsesse Marie fejrer Stevns Klint ** stevnsbladet.dk gallery **

** BB: Prinsesse Marie kridtede skoene ved Stevns Klint ** translation **

Last edited:
Marie has been quit busy with the UNESCO events, its great seeing her and how warm she is with the people she meets.
Thanks for all the updates and pictures.

I agree that Marie has a very warm personality.

I see the locals have turned out in force.

There is a now disused fort at Stevns Klint. Back in 1962, during the intial part of the Cuban missile crisis, the convoy of Soviet ships loaded with missiles and missile parts for Cuba passed here. The ships were photographed and it was shown that the ships did indeed transport missiles. And that led to President Kennedy to give the order to enforce the blockade around Cuba.
What is less known is that measurements were made to to determine whether there was radioactivity emitting from the ships. I can't remember off hand whether there was but it was determined what kind of warheads were onboard the ships.

The Stevns Fort was a key part in controlling the Danish straits and thus preventing Soviet ships from the Baltic Fleet to enter the North Sea - until, at some point, the fort would have been taken out with nuclear weapons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Let's have a closer look at this picture: Lørdagsavisen: Stevns Klint UNESCO markering

Notice the church in the background. There are litterally hundreds of churches in that exact style dotted all over the country. Usually chalked white though.
They were build during the 1200's by one of the Valdemars I believe, during what can only be described as a clerical building boom. By the 1200's Christianity had finally taken over in all aspects here in DK. - DK becoming Christian didn't happen over night as contemporary chroniclers would like to claim. It was a gradual transition that took at least 200 years, from the top and down.
At the same time the churches were a political statement. the period 1000-1250 were marred by countless minor civil wars and mutual assasinations with the royal greater family and with the building of these churches the king created a visual proof of his power an wealth. While at the same time sending a message to neighboring countries that Denmark was modern Christian country and big daddy here is in control! - And the churches served as a very convenient refuges for the locals whenever the Vends came raiding - and they did that a lot!

:previous:

Very interesting, Muhler. Thank you. Until I read the Royalista article earlier today, I had no idea that such a place existed in Denmark. Are any of those churches in use today? If not as a place of worship, possibly a museum? It's good to see these things preserved.

Very interesting, Muhler. Thank you. Until I read the Royalista article earlier today, I had no idea that such a place existed in Denmark. Are any of those churches in use today? If not as a place of worship, possibly a museum? It's good to see these things preserved.

You are welcome. :)

Oh yes, the vast majority of these churches are still in use. Perhaps not every Sunday but certainly regularly.
Some have of course burned down over the centuries or been torn down, but I believe most churches from that period are still standing.
Because in contrast to churches in towns and eventually cities, these are (originally at least) rural parish churches and they haven't been changed a lot.
Those in the towns were often rebuilt according to new fashion or simply because they were more vulnerable to fire because the towns were so crowded.

Here are two pics of churches in the same style: http://www.langtved-og-omegn.dk/upl/website/billeder-fra-fldstrup/pskeg10323.JPG
http://www.kristeligt-dagblad.dk/sites/default/files/historier/drejoe/Kirken.jpg

For the fun of it, try do a Google image search with this text: dansk landsbykirke
Loads of churches from that same period will pop up!

Princess Marie as Patron of the Danish National Commission for UNESCO attended the Associated School Project in Copenhagen on October 31:

** ppe gallery **

Thank you, Muhler! :flowers:

I think the new look suits her, will be interesting to see how she'll style it in the coming weeks.

Here are some more nice pics of yesterday's UNESCO event:

** ppe gallery **

Prinsesse Marie så rideopvisning fra Eremitageslottets balkon.| billedbladet.dk

Today our Marie went - not that far away from home - north of Copenhagen to hunting palace Eremitageslottet. The reason being that UNESCO has included the park around the palace as a world heritage site.
It was deliberately created as a hunting ground and today it's part of public park and part home for a couple of thousand deer.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #35, 2015.
Written by Marianne Singer.

As you know our Marie was present at celebrating Dyrehaven = the large park area around Eremitageslottet, located north of Copenhagen. Actually down the lane to the right of where she lives now.
The reason being that the park has been included on UNESCO's list of World Heritage sites.
Hoping this will help attract tourists a number of politicians had shown up and from the balcony of Eremitageslottet, which is a small hunting palace, they saw 130 riders from local equestrian clubs galloping past. They are to a large degree the same riders people hope to see fall from their horses during the annual Hubertus Hunt. - And quite a few of the riders are now Marie's neighbors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom