Princess Marie as Patron of the Danish AIDS Foundation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muhler

Imperial Majesty
City
Eastern Jutland
Country
Denmark
Prinsesse får fornem post - TV SYD - TVSyd - Nyheder - Lokal - Tønder

Our Marie will become chairwoman of the AIDS Foundation.

She says: "As a patron I hope to help break down the prejudices, which leads to many Hiv-infected to live in loneliness and in fear of the reaction of other people. At the same time I wish to support the AIDS Foundation's focus on research in medicine, which can help future generations to grow up without Hiv and AIDS".

Prinsesse får fornem post - TV SYD - TVSyd - Nyheder - Lokal - Tønder

Our Marie will become chairwoman of the AIDS Foundation.

She says: "As a patron I hope to help break down the prejudices, which leads to many Hiv-infected to live in loneliness and in fear of the reaction of other people. At the same time I wish to support the AIDS Foundation's focus on research in medicine, which can help future generations to grow up without Hiv and AIDS".

That's excellent, well done to Marie! I'm guessing she was made Chairwoman on World AIDS Day (yesterday)?

Last edited:
I Think Princess Marie Looks Nice , Thank you for Posting

Princess Marie attended, as patron the AIDS Foundation's, Christmas concert in Trinitatis Church, Copenhagen. December 02, 2012

PPE Agency

Wuuhuu, I know the singers from the AIDS Event :D :D :D

Due to a certain pregnancy and because not much has happened with the DRF lately the BB coverage is pretty limited this week.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #49, 2012.
Marie holdt AIDS-talen - Marie gave the AIDS-speech.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Our Marie became patron for the AIDS Foundation late last year and this year she was for the first time to give a speech at the traditional Christmas concert in Trinitatis Church in Copenhagen. The church was filled to the last seat.

Each year the AIDS Foundation writes a speech that is being delivered at various events all over the country every year on the 1st December.
The Christmas concert has taken place for sixteen years and the proceed goes to people suffering from AIDS.

The opera singer, Jens Christian Wendt, took the initiative for the concert and he explained: "When Princess Marie read the speech she said to the AIDS Foundation that she would very much like to deliver that and she did that marvelously".

Opera singers sang, Angus Dei, Ave Maria and O Holy Night. (*)

- I can't say how it is in other countries but here in DK churches have also very much evolved into cultural centres. Concerts are very common, without any religious ceremonies, which means that people (including atheists like myself) who otherwise only go to church at weddings, funerals and baptisms also go to and very much enjoy concerts held in churches, not least because the acoustic is very special and the setting is often very beautiful.
In especially the cities where the churces are open longer, it's very common to see not least students going to church simply to meditate and enjoy the atmosphere, without any religious ceremony taking place.

Perhaps FasterB can tell us more about the songs, the church and the choir? :)

(*) This is a Norwegian version by Sissel Kyrkebø.
Sissel - O Helga Natt (O Holy Night / Cantique de Noël in swedish) - YouTube

Last edited:
Perhaps FasterB can tell us more about the songs, the church and the choir? :)
I can try to tell more about it :flowers:

The songs: Agnus Dei, Ave Maria and O Holy Night
I think we all know these songs as they are quite popular at this time of the year :flowers:

Trinitatis Kirke / Trinity Church
Trinitatis Kirke was builded by King Christian IV. Well, at least he ordered for the church to be build :ROFLMAO: The architect was Hans Steenwinckel the Younger.
Trinitatis Church started out as a church for students and professors at the University of Copenhagen. It should have room for both churchstuff and secularstuff.
Besides the churchroom there should be place to the royal collection of book and an observatory.
This threepart is reflected in the name of the church: The Trinity, where the Father is in Heaven, The Son is Thruth (the books) and the Holy Ghost is in the Churhch.

The church has a most distinctive belltower: Rundetårn (The Round Tower). I think you all know that :lol:

The singers and the choir
The singers were:
Operasinger Jens Christian Wandt (tenor)
Don´t know much about him other than he doesn´t sings at the opera, never has and I doubt he ever will.

Operasinger Monica Nørgaard Stevns (soprano)
She´s a really sweet girl, sings sooooo beautiful and she saved the concert just three hours before it was about to start by jumping in instead of Ditte Højgaard Andersen, who was ill.
Homepage: Monica Nørgaard Stevns
Facebook: Monica Nørgaard Stevns - Sopran

Holmens Herrekvartet
Consists of four of the malesingers from Holmens Kirke. I haven´t heard the quartet singing together, but I have heard them singing one at a time and they all sings, so I get goosebumps of joy :flowers:
Homepage: Holmens Herrekvartet
Facebook: Holmens Herrekvartet

Last edited by a moderator:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #22, 2013.
Vild med Jakob - Crazy about Jakob.
Written by Henrik Salling.

Recently our Marie presented three prizes on behalf of the AIDS Foundation at an annual event at Hotel Skt. Petri in Copenhagen.
One of the recipients was 41 year old Jakob Heedegaard, who contracted HIV in 2005. However, he chose to deal with it by being open about it and inspiring others in a similar situation as him.
Marie said about him in her speech: "Jakob is a message in his own right. He's fantastic - and very courageous. I hope he will inspire a lot of other young people. There are way too many prejudices and I hope that I too with my commitment can help break down some of these prejudices".
Right after presenting the prize to Jakob Marie went over to his mother to congratulate her on her son's prize. That moved Jakob Heedegaard: "That, I thought, was so sweet of her".

Wearing a dress from Elise Gug, Marie presented the prize for 10.000 DKK, which Jakob will spend on a cruise to Bahamas with some of his good friends.
In his return speech he thanked Marie for taking the trouble to have gone all the way from Møgeltønder only to present him with a prize. Marie disclosed afterwards that she hadn't gone that far, only from Amalienborg.
After the speech Jakob Presented Marie with an issue of the gay magazine, Out & About, where he was on the cover in connection with an interview to the magazine, in the hope that she would find time to read the interview, - and should she have any questions she was welcome to invite him for a cup of coffee.

The two other prizes went to Gitte Kronborg and Morten Frisch, who deal with research and medical treatment of AIDS.

Afterwards Marie said: "It's a very important issue and you clearly see how much of a difference they make in the AIDS Foundation. Today there were three recipients of prizes, who must know how grateful we are. That they have made a big difference. That's a very important issue to dedicate yourself to".
Where should people go, who have prejudices about HIV and AIDS?
Marie smiled: "Ask Jakob. He is so good".

Thanks ice flower!
Such a short trip to be visiting 2 countries that are quite far. Im sure its an eye opening trip and worth the travel time. Cant wait!

BT informs us that the Danish Foreign Ministry has cancelled our Marie's planned trip to Kenya for the AIDS Foundation: Prinsesse Marie ramt af rejseforbud: Afrika-tur aflyst - Royale | www.bt.dk

The reason is that the Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta will appear before in the International Tribunal in Haag. Here he will face charges for among other things, murder, ethnic cleansing and rape.
Until the trial has ended no Danes from the official Denmark will go to Kenya - and that includes Marie.
The AIDS Foundation is of course sorry because there is a genuine need for the work of the foundation in Kenya.

The trip may be postponed until later, depending on the political situation.

ADDED: There has been a follow up from the Foreign Ministry as to why Marie in particular will not be permitted to go.
Her visit will coincide so close to the trial that she may face "critisism". - Read: demonstrations, political boycot, akward questions from the press and so on. It is the duty of the government to protect the DRF from such eventualities.

Last edited:
Denmark's Crown Princess Mary speaks during the opening ceremony of the photo exhibition "Access to Life" to mark the World AIDS Day in Copenhagen, Denmark, Aug. 28, 2013.

Picture

:previous: Thanks Iceflower :flowers:

Listening to our Marie in the video I should like to hear what our English speaking members, perhaps especially Americans, think of Marie's English.

1:20 Q: Being a mother does that make you fight even harder to enable other mothers to being able to have children who...
M: "Yes, of course. - But I also fight, because...it's very important to show that HIV/Aids is an illness that can be treated. And that you can have a good life if you get the right treatment.
I do see in these strong pictures here that... that people are again happy/glad".

- Marie has a very good pronounciation, which makes her very easy to understand. And she use a fairly simple Danish which is nevertheless adequate as her message is getting across.
Mary in contrast is using a more advanced vocabulary and has done so almost from day one. A vocabulary I suspect is consistent with her day to day English.
It's fascinating to compare the two. Mary who is the novice in learning a new language in earnest and who is charging head on. Which means she has to work extra hard.
And Marie the more seasoned language student, who appears to be building on experience and who seems to adhere to keeping it simple.

Last edited:
She speaks english with an accent but she speaks it well. Her english is clearer than Princess Letizia's of Spain from her speech in the U.S. awhile back. Marie went to college, lived and worked in the U.S. before she married Joachim so I'd expect her to speak English as well as she does.

Last edited:
While she has an accent I don't think it is that pronounced, she speaks very well in my opinion.

Thanks, dbarn67 & Marlene. :flowers:

- Marie has a very good pronounciation, which makes her very easy to understand. And she use a fairly simple Danish which is nevertheless adequate as her message is getting across.
Mary in contrast is using a more advanced vocabulary and has done so almost from day one. A vocabulary I suspect is consistent with her day to day English.
It's fascinating to compare the two. Mary who is the novice in learning a new language in earnest and who is charging head on. Which means she has to work extra hard.
And Marie the more seasoned language student, who appears to be building on experience and who seems to adhere to keeping it simple.

thanks muhler, i'm always fascinated by languages and especially people's approach to learning languages, so i enjoyed reading this on how mary and marie approached the learning of danish differently.
so would you say marie is better at pronounciation while mary has a wider vocabulary? what about grammar? how do they deal with it and how are they doing with the structure of their phrases?

thanks muhler, i'm always fascinated by languages and especially people's approach to learning languages, so i enjoyed reading this on how mary and marie approached the learning of danish differently.
so would you say marie is better at pronounciation while mary has a wider vocabulary? what about grammar? how do they deal with it and how are they doing with the structure of their phrases?

You are welcome. :)

At their present level, I'd say Marie has a better pronounciation. Mary (like so many English speakers) has problems with the Æ Ø Å vovels. They exist in French and German, so our Marie has an advantage there.
Mary also tends to pronounce words in English. Marie tends to slow down and thus pronounce the words more carefully, when she's thinking about what she wants to say. Here Mary instead goes ahead at full speed.

Mary's Danish is more advanced, in regards to her vocabulary, the length of her sentences, the structure and so on.
Judging from hearing Mary speaking English I'd say she speaks Danish at a similar level as she speaks English, in regards to her choice of words and phrasing. You can tell Mary is used to presenting things orally from her past.
I don't understand French well enough to judge how Marie's level is in comparison to the way she speaks French.

Accent.
No doubt here in my mind. Mary has a heavier, or rather more noticable, accent than Marie.

Marie's grammar, because she is using a simpler Danish, is close to perfect. There are a few typical mistakes here and there but nothing serious. In fact she makes a similar number of mistakes as a native makes at conversation speed, just slightly different.
Mary struggles more with basic grammar, mainly because there is no equivalent to the, der, die, das in Danish.

Example: Car = bil.
A car = en bil.
The car = bilen.
The cars = bilerne.
Cars = Biler.
More cars = flere biler.
Slightly confusing, eh? :p - A typical mistake of Mary (and indeed most English speakers) is to say "en bil" instead of "bilen". I.e. putting a non-existant "the" into the sentence.(In fact she's switching to Jutlandic dialect but that's another story).Again, because Marie is using simpler words and shorter sentences she doesn't make that many basic mistakes. Or perhaps it's simply more logic to her?

Speed.
When Marie is thinking about what to say or rather thinking in the back of her head "hey, I'm Princess, better be careful what I say", then she slows down and hesitate slightly. But when she isn't in princess-mode, she's going ahead at full speed and as we know she's quite talkative as well.
Mary, that's full speed ahead all the time. Conversation speed. If she hesitates it's not because she mentally struggles with her Danish but because she's genuinely thinking about what to say. Likewise her replies are instant. She's clearly more confident than Marie.

Understanding.
Mary understands Danish perfectly. Even the subtle nuances and the constant use of irony. (It helps a lot to be Australian in that respect)!
You can also tell that she's used to debating in Danish. Again, Danish on a pretty advanced level.
Marie certainly understands day to day Danish very well if not perfectly. She may struggle if the sentences and words are getting longer and more advanced. (But so are many natives).

Marie. It's my impression that she is more exposed to day-to-day Danish than Mary is. That is from ordinary Danes. Let me explain: Mary is after all the Crown Princess and apart from her status there is a tremendous respect towards her. Apart from friends, whose speech pattern she knows and who have a fairly similar background, I don't think Mary has that many "weather and wind" conversations with ordinary Danes. Mary meets a heck of a lot of ordinary Danes but my feeling is that it is mainly as the Crown Princess and that makes a difference in a conversation.
Marie on the other hand meet more ordinary Danes in an informal setting, I believe. Like the employees at Schackenborg, when she's going through Møgeltønder village or Tønder town. The mindset and pronounciation in rural Southern Jutland, let alone the topics can be way different from Copenhagen. And in that respect Marie has a big advantage over Mary, she's a secondary princess and as such people may be more relaxed around her (more relaxed than around Joachim too for that matter), not least in Southern Jutland where she and Joachim are more or less considered one of their own. I can well imagine Marie, being a very talkative and open person, having a chat with the local baker in Møgeltønder each time she drops in for a cake.

A bit long reply, as usual, but necessary I think to understand what I mean.

No doubt other Danish members have a different perception from mine.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks, Iceflower.

Oh yeah, the American ambassador is gay IIRC. - Not that anyone here cares one hoot, it's more how he is as an ambassador and he has been pretty invisible so far.
But that'll explain why he was there in the first place.

She speaks english with an accent but she speaks it well. Her english is clearer than Princess Letizia's of Spain from her speech in the U.S. awhile back. Marie went to college, lived and worked in the U.S. before she married Joachim so I'd expect her to speak English as well as she does.
I actually would expect her to speak it better than she does, considering that she (unlike Letizia) lived, studied and worked in an English speaking environment for 7 years.
The fact that she has a distinct accent in English after so many years (a language I assume she already learned at school) makes me doubt that her pronounciation is so much better in Danish, although perhaps a French accent mixes better with Danish than an English one.

For my non-native ears she is easy to understand because she speaks slowly and in simple sentences (whereas I have difficulties to understand a word from Margrethe). But my impression is that after 5 years (and claiming to learn languages easily) her Danish could be better. Just like her English it's not bad but not really impressive either (apart from the fact that learning to speak a foreign language fluently is always impressive to me, no matter how well you speak it in the end).

Back
Top Bottom