Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 2: July 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is unfortunate that Prince Nikolai decided to drop out of the military school. Now he is highly likely to pursue one of general degrees in history or geography in a university. Plum employments will be secured by his family's connections.

Last edited:
Point is we have no idea what Nicolaj is really interested in. He went to a private boarding school which he has just left with his final exams. Normally at that level in society, at least that's what my daughter told me who follows some Danish youngsters in Instagram, is taking a gap year travelling the world. At least that's what the Hellerup/Klampenborg set is doing, the children of artists and industrialists living/working there, who have attended Gamle Hellerup or Oeregaard gymnasiums. Isn't Felix now at Gamle Hellerup?
Instead Nicolaj chose/ was made to choose another kind of adventure, which is considered to be certainly "uncool" in his peer group, while being a model certainly has more "Street" (LOL) credibility.

And I see why he might think that with 4 cousins in front of him in line to the throne he can forget about tradition and do what he is more pleased to do. It's not as if his mother is that poor, so she couldn't support him even if his father quits paying.

Plus he has relatives like Louise Castenskiold, who works in Copenhagen in talent scounting and artist management as partner in an agency that has now for the third time received the Gazelle Prisen, an award by a financial magazine for companies who manage to double their success from one year to another. I 'm sure she alone has more than enough contacts to help him. Louise is a great-granddaughter of Princess Dagmar of Denmark, a daughter of Frederick VIII and Louise of Sweden & Norway.

So I'm not afraid that Nicolaj won't have success and "suitable" friends of the Golden Circle of Copenhagen-Hellerup set.

He is, after all, just a minor Royal who has to make his own way in life, there probably is not Schakenborg Manor for him to inherit. He has the artsy looks of a male model and it is common by now that the cream of fashion companies try to get minor Royals to model for them, like Lady Amelia Windsor, Olympia of Greece, Diana's niece Lady Kitty Spencer or the daughters of British and French nobility. Nicolaj can always look forward to marry a rich (American or other) heiress who would love to be HH princess till Denmark or become a diplomat like his grandfather Henrik was - it's always good to have a mameber of the first family represent a country. So I'm not afraid for him but am curious to see how he decides to live his life.

But I agree with my dear Muhler that finishing what you started is good for the character. My son is a man of peace, so he started his journey towards "leadership" in the fire services and then emergency rescue career but then he always was a type for leadership while Nicolaj perhaps isn't. Sons of impressive fathers (as Joachim surely is as well as Frederick and the late Henrik, probably Mr. Manley, too) and strong mothers often are more shy than their parents and choose different ways.
My point is that we don't know enough of Nicolaj to really know why he did what he did but considering his environment, his wish to leave the military must have been a strong one and so we should accept that.

It is obvious that his family wants him to have a serious job, military didn't work now university will be on the card, I understand from Alex' comments that he can do now what he wants (modelling) until next summer when he starts studying.
Joachim is very elitist too, I don't believe the parents are very happy but what can they do. Nikolai has pushed the boundaries once by dropping out of the military I believe the parents will now make it very clear to him that they want to see finished studies at university. Joachim is infamous for snobbish behaviour like insisting that his sons are called Princes, I doubt he lets Nikolai have his way in the long term doing modelling.

Oh, come on! He didn´t even apply for unsiversity, yet. So I doubt J. and A. already made it clear, "that they want to see finished studies at the university". How demotivating would that be?! :bang:

Remembering myself at this age, I would have shut my ears to that completely and would have done my own thing deliberately!

How symbolic that was...!
https://images.jv.dk/37/1661637_1280_857_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I happen to believe in commitment.

If you commit yourself to anything you do your very best to go through.
Quitting is another world for personal defeat. And it damages your self-esteem.
Sometimes you have to grit your teeth and carry on. Doing that you win a victory and that's good for your self-esteem, even if you hate it while it goes on.

I didn't volunteer for conscription. In fact I wasn't even that keen on serving in the military and I sure didn't like it at first! But I grew to like it, I learned to appreciate that the way the military did things perhaps made sense after all.
And I won a string of little personal victories and earned the respect of my comrades. I learned to feel proud about myself - something you really weren't supposed to be back in the 80's BTW.
That was a personal development I would have missed, had I had the opportunity to opt out after a few weeks.

Commitment is great. A prerequisite for wholehearted commitment is knowing you're heading down the right path. Are you supposed to know exactly what you want to do with your life when you're 19 and carrying the weight of your family's expectations on your shoulders? No. Luckily today's society largely allows for young people to have a couple of second chances – perhaps because it would be absolutely headless to let a teenage brain make permanent, life-altering decisions.

Most people also can't commit themselves wholeheartedly to something that isn't their wish to begin with. In my opinion, everything about Nikolai's choice to serve points towards it being a decision his family's hopes and expectations forced him into making. Now, in a situation like that, gritting your teeth and carrying on can be a good learning curve for some. For others, it can break you down. Personally, I think it shows a great strength of character in Nikolai that he has the stamina to drop out, knowing his decision will be dissected publicly to no end. Not only is that great character strength, it also shows that he's in tune with himself. And even if forcing yourself through something you don't have your heart in doesn't break you down emotionally, why waste two whole years of your life on an education you don't intend to use? That seems like a waste of time for everyone involved. And as someone who hasn't served in the military, I can assure you that personal development such as the one you experienced in the military isn't exclusive for military people ;)

Can I ask you, Muhler – will you be equally disappointed in Isabella, Josephine and Athena if they don't pursue a military education?

Last edited:
Oh, come on! He didn´t even apply for unsiversity, yet. So I doubt J. and A. already made it clear, "that they want to see finished studies at the university". How demotivating would that be?! :bang:

Remembering myself at this age, I would have shut my ears to that completely and would have done my own thing deliberately!

How symbolic that was...!
https://images.jv.dk/37/1661637_1280_857_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

The fact that Alexandra is already announcing that he wilk start university studies in a yet unknown subject strongly suggest that university studies is the next step they have in mind now the military plan didn't work out.

For now he can keep using his princely title to get some modelling jobs. A gap-year would probably be the better option if that is what his peers are also doing...

That was a quick announcement indeed! Nikolai is going on to do what I more or less expected; I wish him luck in his modelling and future studies.

Commitment is great. A prerequisite for wholehearted commitment is knowing you're heading down the right path. Are you supposed to know exactly what you want to do with your life when you're 19 and carrying the weight of your family's expectations on your shoulders? No. Luckily today's society largely allows for young people to have a couple of second chances – perhaps because it would be absolutely headless to let a teenage brain make permanent, life-altering decisions.

Most people also can't commit themselves wholeheartedly to something that isn't their wish to begin with. In my opinion, everything about Nikolai's choice to serve points towards it being a decision his family's hopes and expectations forced him into making. Now, in a situation like that, gritting your teeth and carrying on can be a good learning curve for some. For others, it can break you down. Personally, I think it shows a great strength of character in Nikolai that he has the stamina to drop out, knowing his decision will be dissected publicly to no end. Not only is that great character strength, it also shows that he's in tune with himself. And even if forcing yourself through something you don't have your heart in doesn't break you down emotionally, why waste two years of your life on an education you don't intend to use? That seems like a waste of time for everyone involved. And as someone who hasn't served in the military, I can assure you that personal development such as the one you experienced in the military isn't exclusive for military people ;)

Can I ask you, Muhler – will you be equally disappointed in Isabella, Josephine and Athena if they don't pursue a military education?

Your are always worth a read, even if I don't always agree. ?

Well, two things.

We who live in an age where you can choose your career, where many options are open to you, in your late teens, we are the odd ones.
Throughout history most 19 year old men were full adults, Many if no most, being providers, many being parents. For girls, well, they were fresh out of puberty when they became adults - with all that entailed.
At age 14 or so it was out earning a living, on their own. And that was pretty much regardless of their class.
They did not have the luxury of trying things and opting out. They had to grit their teeth and keep going, even if they hated it. There was little choice.
And that's how it is for I don't know how many 19 year olds even today!
So yes, a 19 year old can commit himself.

I don't quite subscribe to the point that you are not fully prepared to commit yourself at 19. You are inexperienced, yes. You are uncertain about many things, oh yes. You have dreams, absolutely!
As you know, some scholars question whether there really is such a thing as being a teenager.

To stay in a military context. Many of those who are send to places like Afghanistan or who fought in WWII were 18. They were adults by age 19.
I think there is a tendency to underestimate teenagers. When challenged teenagers are a lot tougher and a lot more willing to fully commit themselves if they really want to. Certainly they can deal with a lot more than we parents think they can.

Nikolai had the option of staying put until he became NCO after six months, then he could have decided that the military isn't for him. And being a leader isn't what he is. That would have been half a victory.
Instead he opted for the quick and easy way out and that's why I'm a little disappointed with him.

Secondly, I don't believe in any education being a waste of time. Not if you try to learn. You never know when it might suddenly become useful. But showing that you have completed something, that you have committed yourself, even if you will never work in that field again, that pays off the day you are looking for a job.

Isabella, Josephine and Athena? - And Felix, Vincent and Henrik? No, I will not be disappointed if they don't sign up. But I will be disappointed if they sign up and quit shortly after. It's one thing to be shipped home if you are unfit or injured, it's another matter to quit.
I mean, at 19 you can become a mother or a father! What are you going to do then? Sorry, parenting isn't my field, it's not what I would like to pursue, at least not right now. - Eh, where can I return this little critter here?
At age 19 you are an adult, and if you wish to be regarded as an adult and be treated as an adult, be an adult!
Do you think I'm hard? Harsh? Do you feel sorry for my children? ;)

Well, my own son did not sign up for volunteer conscription and he drew a high number at the draft board, so he didn't get drafted either. Did that disappoint me? Not at all. He is not the military type. He did of course know about my background and have asked questions, but he has never showed any interest in the military, so that's fine with me.
He has however started a higher education and I fully expect him to complete it. In return he will get every possible support from me. I'll be there to beam with pride when he is doing well and I'll knock him on the head if he is slacking. And if he needs a shoulder to cry on he'll get that too. I will do everything I can for him to win the victory that it is to complete what he has started.

As for my daughter. She can't sign up for physical reasons, but her determination is not in doubt! Anyway, she's daddy's girl, so she can't do anything wrong.
In fact I plan to dress her in a burka, because no pimpled dude can ever be good enough for my little girl! I, her morfar and brother heartily agree on that. :D
She should get a good education, a well-paid job and a good career, with a couple inseminated children from well-selected donors in-between. If she feels an urge to love someone, who will love her unconditionally in return, be forever faithful and genuinely treasure her, I'll buy her a Golden Retriever. ?

Last edited:
I don't consider it honorable for Nikolai to have completed the six month program if he realized at the two month point that this was not a job / career that interested him. He would have been wasting tax payer money getting training when he knew that he would not be around to provide a return on the taxpayers investment.

Your are always worth a read, even if I don't always agree. ?

Well, two things (...)

Well, lige over. (Although I had the utmost audacity to shorten your post a little there).

Thankfully, we're living in an enlightened time where the general life expectancy is way above 50 and Danish women hardly ever die during childbirth anymore ;) It really is completely irrelevant how things used to be because the world is different today and the opportunities we have are, thankfully, also different today. And as a historian I can tell you that, especially in terms of child welfare, historically speaking, we've had quite a lot of eh... unfortunate practices.

I never argued that you can't commit – or think for, as it seems you think I meant – yourself at 19, I argued that when you're 19 and faced with some pretty hefty expectations from your family (and on top of that, has a nation looking over your shoulders as well), it's maybe not the easiest thing to say, "You know what dad? Military? Yeah, that's not for me." And then, I not only think it's nice that we live in a society where you're not tied to the career path you first choose to pursue (although our government sure do their most to try to make it so), I also think it's evident of a great strength of character in Nikolai that he actually chose to listen to himself and found out what he wanted (or what he didn't want). That's not "the quick and easy way out". That's a decision he made well aware of the risk of disappointing his father and being painted as a weakling in the collective Danish press. To me, that's brave. And evident of a much stronger character than had he chosen to stick it out for 6 months just to appease his family.

Do I think you're too harsh? I think your line of thinking on this is awfully narrow-minded. Sorry to say, Muhler :ermm: I'm happy that powering through service even if you didn't dig it at first worked out for you. Doesn't mean that approach works out for everyone and I think it's bordering on dangerous to assume it does. Or, I think it does a lot more damage than it does good. And then I'm generally not a fan of parents (or anyone else for that matter – stop living through others) imposing their own ideals and life expectations on their children. That's never good for anyone. That's something I know from experience ?

Last edited:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/her-er-prins-nikolais-fremtidsplaner

Alexandra, through her private secretary, has elaborated on Nikolai's future plans.
"He will take care of/pursue his modelling career until next year, where he will begin studying. As the plan is right now he will start studying after the summer holidays."
Han vil passe sin modelkarriere indtil næste år, hvor han vil læse videre. Som planen er lige nu begynder han på et studie efter sommerferien,«

However, the secretary can't say what he is going to study as Nikolai hasn't applied yet:
"But he will study in Denmark."
Hvilken uddannelse sætter hun dog ikke ord på, idet prinsen endnu ikke har søgt ind.
»Men det er et studie i Danmark

"He will until then take those modelling jobs he can get, says the private secretary.
»Han vil indtil da tage de modeljobs, han kan få,« fortæller Helle von Wildenrath Løvgreen.

Interesting.
I hope they don't force him into University if all he wants to do is model :whistling: What if he wants to study in France? it has to be in Denmark?

It will be interesting to hear from Joachim on this. We shall see.

:flowers:

Interesting.
I hope they don't force him into University if all he wants to do is model :whistling: What if he wants to study in France? it has to be in Denmark?

It will be interesting to hear from Joachim on this. We shall see.

:flowers:

No.
There should be nothing to hinder him in studying abroad. In fact I think it would be beneficial for him to study at least for some time abroad.

Ah, Archduchess Zelia. ?
Your response, albeit still worth a read, is what I expected. ;)
As for our esteemed government. I understand there is a majority in the Parliament to rectify that silly limitation. But let's not go further into that as it is off topic here.

Well, first let's agree on disagreeing.
I hope you and Nikolai appreciate the luxury it is to "shop" (so to speak) educations, because that is a luxury only a minority in the world even today can afford.
And you being a historian I assume you can see general trends in the world today. Do you really think that luxury will necessarily continue? - I'm not so sure.
Finally. Come on! He had to stay on for six months in order to become NCO. Then he could have quit. He didn't sign on for 40 years. As I understand it it was always the plan that he would attend university afterwards. Otherwise he would have started at an officers academy for regular officers.

Staying on for six months is the equivalent of signing up for a cruise aboard the sailing ship Danmark. (Which is very much an option for the other DRF children BTW.)
See here, she's a beauty: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-f6S_ZJkoCAM/UeeJzl2DdoI/AAAAAAAACyQ/fCoqajmfygI/s1600/1+skoleskibet.jpg
And then two months in, 20 nautical miles west of Brest deciding: Oh, this is not the right shelve for me, I'm going ashore.
One man down means extra work for your team...

Life is full of adversity, of unpleasant things you have to do and crappy jobs you have to get up to every morning. The sooner you learn to deal with that and learn that you can deal with it, the better.
Nikolai hasn't learned that lesson yet...

Joachim has commented on Nikolai leaving the army:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-joachim-bakker-soennen-op

Prins Nikolai har truffet en meget moden beslutning,
"Prince Nikolai has made a very mature decision."

Han har både talt med den gamle oberst og sin unge far, og derfor står jeg ham bi hundrede procent,
"He has been talking with both the old colonel and his young dad and that's why I stand by him one hundred percent."

https://www.tvsyd.dk/artikel/prins-joachim-stoetter-op-om-sin-soens-modne-valg

Q: You are not disappointed?
J: "No."

It's pretty much what can be expected. I cannot imagine Joachim saying that he does not support his son's decision. Even if he actually was hopping mad.

:previous: I wonder if Nikolai will turn modelling into a full-time career and continue on with it until he figures out what he wants to do in the terms of studies.

Good for Nikolai for following his heart and doing what he wants to do. The pictures look really good and he's very photogenic. His look is very contemporary.

Last edited:
BT has something from Nikolai's agency:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-niko...tiden-han-skal-tjene-penge-paa-en-maade-og-vi

Bente Lundquist head of Scoop Models says:
"We are going to have a meeting with him, and he is checking out some things regarding his education and when he can start full time."
Vi skal have et møde med ham, og han er ved at undersøge nogle ting med sin uddannelse, og hvornår han kan starte full time,

"I know he hasn't left the military because of the modeling work, because that would have been possible anyway, because he is only doing special jobs, so He isn't going out on a job every day. He doesn't receive any apanage, so he has to earn somehow/so to speak and we aim high from the beginning."
Jeg ved, han ikke har forladt militæret pga. modelarbejdet, for det kunne godt have ladet sig gøre alligevel, fordi han kun laver specielle opgaver, så han skal ikke ud og lave job hver dag. Han får ingen apanage, så han skal tjene penge på en måde, og vi sigter højt fra starten,«

"Dior is one of the largest campaigns in the business, so a campaign debut can't get any bigger."
Dior er en af de største kampagner i branchen, så en kampagnedebut bliver ikke større,

Nikolai is fond of shows.
"He think it's fun to walk in shows like the other young models. He is only eighteen and it's fun to try and come out. He is an intelligent young man, who knows what he wants."
Han synes, det er sjovt at gå show ligesom alle andre unge modeller. Han er kun 18 år, og det er sjovt at prøve at komme ud. Han er en intelligent ung mand, der ved, hvad han vil,

She can't say too much about his future but we cannot expect to see him here, there and everywhere.
"You have to select the jobs, not just because he is a Prince, but also to maintain his good image. We are very keen about not just squirting the models out to all sorts of things.
It's about exclusiveness, that's also what is most interesting for Nikolai himself."
Man er nødt til at selektere opgaverne, ikke kun fordi han er prins, men også for at holde hans gode image. Vi går meget op i ikke bare at sprøjte modellerne ud til alt muligt
»Det handler om eksklusivitet, det er også mest interessant for Nikolai selv

"Right now it's about settling down/taking it easy/cool it. He needs to find himself. He had decided for the military and then he needs to find himself, before you tell the press."
Lige nu handler det om at have noget ro på. Han skal finde sig selv. Han havde besluttet sig for militæret, og så skal han lige finde sig selv, inden man går ud med det i pressen

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #45, 2018.
Written by Henrik Salling.

The court confirms that Nikolai will move into an apartment very close to Amalienborg.
Amalienborg consists of the four mansions, as well as various shops, garages and storage buildings, located basically in the backyards of the mansions.
As well as The Yellow Mansion, which house the administration.
Apart from that there are a number of apartment buildings close to Amalienborg, with apartments mainly reserved for staff members who work at the court. Both active and retired.
Considering the location they live here for a very affordable rent!
Some of the apartments house footmen and cleaners, who often work odd hours. In this way they can be on the job fast and they are not reliable on public transport at way too late at night or on having a car, which is next to impossible to park in downtown Copenhagen.
Being employed at court is an honorable and safe and (I understand) a pretty comfortable job, with good benefits and a solid pension, but it's not particularly well paid.
So say a cleaner would have to travel quite a distance every day to get to and from work. A cheap apartment next to Amalienborg is a coup!

And now Nikolai is moving into one of these apartments.

He has been observed in Ikea, looking for stuff for his apartment presumably.

---------------------------------

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-nikolai-indtager-catwalken-i-tokyo-skal-gaa-for-dior

It is confirmed that Nikolai will walk the catwalk for Dior in Tokyo on 30th November.

+He really looks as if he was born to wear Dior -which he is with his Royal Danish, French and Eurasian blood. Makes one wonder how the even more French half-siblings Henrik and Athena will turn out from their looks.

If I understand the article well enough, it's more or less an advertising/promotion piece. So Nikolai makes advertising now? Isn't that a bit... unusual for a Danish royal?
And didn't he get a Twingo for his 18th birthday? (I don't want to judge his car choices, because I really don't know anything about the circumstances and his needs, I am just a bit confused and want to understand:flowers:)

If I understand the article well enough, it's more or less an advertising/promotion piece. So Nikolai makes advertising now? Isn't that a bit... unusual for a Danish royal?
And didn't he get a Twingo for his 18th birthday? (I don't want to judge his car choices, because I really don't know anything about the circumstances and his needs, I am just a bit confused and want to understand:flowers:)

He did get a Twingo. So I don't understand either what he would need a subscription car for - many of his age group might be tempted to subscribe for a car though.

And you are right, this a very much promotion. So unless this little piece has been written without an OK from Nikolai, this is advertising IMO.
And since he is basically lending his name - and title - I predict there will be a little controversy in the press.
This is something Christian in particular and M&F's children in general would not be able to get away with!
But Nikolai is pretty far down the pecking order and officially not a working royal. However, this is something not even Elisabeth ever did. And the two are very much comparable status-wise.

:previous: me too. Looks indeed as if Nikolai was hired as a model to promote Sixt and because of him being a prince they both use him as the model and the famous name.

Indeed, even more weird considering he already has a car, so he doesn't need to rent to figure out what type of car he needs...

He did get a Twingo. So I don't understand either what he would need a subscription car for - many of his age group might be tempted to subscribe for a car though.

And you are right, this a very much promotion. So unless this little piece has been written without an OK from Nikolai, this is advertising IMO.
And since he is basically lending his name - and title - I predict there will be a little controversy in the press.
This is something Christian in particular and M&F's children in general would not be able to get away with!
But Nikolai is pretty far down the pecking order and officially not a working royal. However, this is something not even Elisabeth ever did. And the two are very much comparable status-wise.

I presume that Nikolai advertising for Sixt is similar to YouTubers and other social media influencers being given cars in return to advertise them on their channels/platforms (in addition to any current cars they already have). I wonder if Nikolai kept his Sixt car after he advertised for them, otherwise it seems a little odd for someone to have two cars at his age.

You could perhaps argue that it's a kind of infomercial for fellow students, most of which do not have the financial means Nikolai has.

Without having had time to check it further, it seems to me that a car that you subscribe to is very much aimed at young people, and probably especially students.
It's my impression that it's cheaper, and easier to deal with than leasing or renting a car. - There are probably some conditions, like the cars being older. And that the car is on a "when you need it only" basis.

Even if the product is a good one. I would say that a member of the royal family shouldn't actively promote products for his own advantage (i.e. to get lots of money - just because of his name).

It would be different if he himself had his own business because in that case promotion would just be part of the job (like Märtha Louise with her Angel School or Bernhard with Levi9). In this case he was hired to promote a product just because he is a prince - and has no relationship in any other way.

Is there any discussion in Denmark about Nikolai's choices in this regard?

agree.
sign, sorry but it looks cheap.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsJeKAXX4AAKruh.jpg:large
I hope he doesn't go down that route of prompting everything he is wearing or using like all others on instagram.

Even if the product is a good one. I would say that a member of the royal family shouldn't actively promote products for his own advantage (i.e. to get lots of money - just because of his name).

It would be different if he himself had his own business because in that case promotion would just be part of the job (like Märtha Louise with her Angel School or Bernhard with Levi9). In this case he was hired to promote a product just because he is a prince - and has no relationship in any other way.

Is there any discussion in Denmark about Nikolai's choices in this regard?

I haven't seen anything at all so far.

And admittedly I don't think it's a good idea for Nikolai to promote products.
If he want to go the way of an influencer, it would be better if he ditched the royal title. Count of Montpezat can do commercials, but not a prince.

I should like to know whether he has spoken with Alexandra or Joachim about this. I doubt it.
So he may be in for a major telling-off!

But having said that, you are allowed to make mistakes when you are young. And I know from experience that guys (and girls?) that age can be pretty oblivious to what should otherwise be considered self-evident.

One concern with Nikolai giving up his title is that in that case the expectation surely would be for his siblings to do the same while they might aspire careers that are perfectly fine for a prince or princess.

However, you might be right that part of these rather incosiderate actions might be related to his age. Nonetheless, in that case his parents or grandmother should explain his responsibilities as a prince of Denmark and the limitations that brings (next to many advantages).

Last edited:
One concern with Nikolai giving up his title is that in that case the expectation surely would be for his siblings to do the same while they might aspire careers that are perfectly fine for a prince or princess.

However, you might be right that part of these rather incosiderste actions might be related to his age. Nonetheless, in that case his parents or grandmother should explain his responsibilities as a prince of Denmark and the limitations that brings (next to many advantages).

Coincidentally, the issue of royals giving up their titles is also being discussed now in another Swedish forum. My question here is the same I asked in that other forum: is that legally possible in the Scandinavian monarchies ?

Queen Anne-Marie gave up her place in the line of succession when she married King Constantine. but the legal backing for her renunciation was that she had converted to the Greek Orthodox faith and, therefore, was no longer eligible to succeed to the Danish throne. Since the Danish Act of Succession does not provide for unilateral renunciation of succession rights, I believe the only options available to Nikolai would be to leave the Lutheran church as her great-aunt did, or get married in a few years without asking for the Queen's consent declared in a Council of State.

On the point of someone explaining to him "his responsabilities as a prince of Denmark", I'm afraid his mother actually encourages or has been supportive of his latest decisions (pursuing a modeling career, leaving the army, endorsing commercial products, etc.). With Frederik and Mary having four children, Nikolai is already 7th in the line of succession and will get increasingly lower in the future, so I guess the Queen and the Court don't really care too much about his antics. His father should be more concerned though and maybe he is the one who should talk to Nikolai about it.

Last edited:
Yes, they can give up their titles in several way.

Queen Anne-Marie gave up her place in the Line of Succession by default. I.e. converting from the Lutheran variant of Christendom.
Should she, albeit unlikely, divorce King Constantine and live in DK, it would be up to QMII to decide her title. Probably Princess of Denmark.

Princess Elisabeth considered marrying and thus giving up her title by default. I.e. marrying a commoner - with the unspoken precedence set by Frederik IX that it meant giving up the royal title.

QMII can at any time strip any member of her family of their titles, except for the Crown Prince. Frederik titles and status is secure by law.
So she can strip Nikolai of his title if she wants to.

There is nothing to hinder Nikolai from "requesting"/genuinely requesting QMII to strip him of his royal title. That's considered a matter within the family by the politicians. - Who might very well see the sensible thing in reducing the number of royals anyway, so I doubt there will be many protests.
It would be another matter if she decided to strip Frederik's children of their titles, without very good reason. (And here Christian would a major "no go!")

I can imagine there is a quiet agreement within the family that Joachim's children will be stripped of their royal titles upon marriage. Which is likely to take place during Frederik's reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom