Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, Part 1: February 2012 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both my grandmothers died when my sister and I were teenagers; we both had ‘important’- to us - social occasions immediately after the funerals. The discussion was along the lines of ‘what would gramma want?’ Fortunately for us, it was decided that gramma would want us to go to parties.

I have to think that Nikolai’s grandpa would have loved the idea of Nikolai dressing up in wildly fashionable clothes and walking the runway. Too bad he couldn’t have seen his grandson carrying on the stylish tradition.

I have to say that I was a little surprised by this. Not so much the timing (I think he had made a commitment, stayed as little as possible, did his thing and flew back to Copenhagen - it's not like we saw him drinking and partying) but, overall, the choice. While it could be fine to earn some quick and good money modeling while you are a student, it won't look good in 5 years when you want to be taken seriously. You will remain forever the aristo kid who dabbled in modeling, etc. etc. I thought Joachim would have more sense. I understand that he's over 18 and it's clear that he has to earn his own money, but I hope he won't become part of that jet-setting crowd who doesn't seem to do much except modeling, drinking, skiing and date each other... I just want to see these kids succeed and do well in their studies and their careers. They have so many opportunities and connections that it would be sad to see that all they want is to be another famous face. My advice: Nikolai, go study, do internships everywhere you can! Travel! You don't need to be dressed like an idiot and be reminded for it for the rest of your life!!! Am I terribly old-fashioned? I hope so.

Nikolai's appearance on the catwalk has of course been well commented.
The fashion editor of Euroman, Frederik Lentz Andersen (he knows what he is talking about) estimate that Nikolai would have received a salary of 50-100.000 DKK for his appearance. - Perhaps even more.
That is a very good salary for any eighteen year old!

https://www.bt.dk/royale/ekspertens-bud-saa-meget-tjener-prins-nikolai-paa-modeshow

100.000 DKK = 16,539.40 $ = 13,428.61 € = 11,851.90 £

Both my grandmothers died when my sister and I were teenagers; we both had ‘important’- to us - social occasions immediately after the funerals. The discussion was along the lines of ‘what would gramma want?’ Fortunately for us, it was decided that gramma would want us to go to parties.

I have to think that Nikolai’s grandpa would have loved the idea of Nikolai dressing up in wildly fashionable clothes and walking the runway. Too bad he couldn’t have seen his grandson carrying on the stylish tradition.

Maybe Nikolai was able to tell his grandpapa. Henri de Labord de Monpezat was of course quite beautiful in his youth, as we have all been able to see; I am certain le prince Henri was delighted for his first-born grandson and urged him to go: these events are scheduled months in advance:cool:

Well that's me told not to have an opinion...
I think its a very good career (I don't see where I said otherwise) and in fact a guy I went to school with is a very well known model. I just thing it completely leaves Nikolai open to comments of using his royal status IMO.

Sorry you seem to have misunderstood my comments as it was myself expressing my opinion about what you had written. Nowhere did I criticise you having your opinion.

You said you didn’t find it a suitable career, hence why I asked if it was because he was Royal or you found the career unsuitable in general.

Frankly being Royal in that industry does neither party any favours. If modelling is what he wants it will see him travel the world for his career, and the independence he’ll gain will be life changing!

Nikolai's appearance on the catwalk has of course been well commented.
The fashion editor of Euroman, Frederik Lentz Andersen (he knows what he is talking about) estimate that Nikolai would have received a salary of 50-100.000 DKK for his appearance. - Perhaps even more.
That is a very good salary for any eighteen year old!

https://www.bt.dk/royale/ekspertens-bud-saa-meget-tjener-prins-nikolai-paa-modeshow

100.000 DKK = 16,539.40 $ = 13,428.61 € = 11,851.90 £

I am not sure how much of an expert the interviewed gentleman is, but this amount of money would be very, very surprising. I doubt that even the best known male models of this moment will receive such an amount of money for one show.

Female top models can receive such an amount of money for a runway show. However, Nicolai is s a first time model. And on top of that, he is a male model. Then there still is the commission for the agency, tax, travel costs etc. More than a few hundreds Euros would be surprising. Often models hardly break even when the commission and travel costs are deducted. The runway show is more an advertisement to get hired for photo shoots and such.

Last edited:
:previous: If you say so, Marengo. ?

I plead ignorance, Your Honour.

I would say the amount received by Prince Nikolai is probably half of what estimated by Mr. Andersen (also, are we talking gross or net, here?). Yes, Marengo's arguments are right, but this is Burberry paying and the catwalk was a "mixed" (boys and girls) one so it attracts good attention. Plus, Prince Nikolai might be a first-time male model but to be able to say "Prince Nikolai walked the catwalk for us" has it's price! If you look, he's been on all the magazines (Hello! etc.). Honestly, I only think he did it because it was good money. I think (I hope!) this is just a one time thing...

Maybe Nikolai was able to tell his grandpapa. Henri de Labord de Monpezat was of course quite beautiful in his youth, as we have all been able to see; I am certain le prince Henri was delighted for his first-born grandson and urged him to go: these events are scheduled months in advance:cool:

I read somewhere that what may appeal to modelling agencies about Nikolai is that apart from him being tall and slim, his mix of Asian-European facial features makes him indistinct.

I don't have a problem with Nikolai modelling because, as other posters have said, Nikolai is not a major member of the DRF and I'm sure Henrik wouldn't have wanted him to sit around and do nothing after his death. He came back for the funeral, after all, so I don't understand the criticism (yes, I do get that the timing was a bit awkward for some).
I hope Nikolai enjoys his modelling career if that's what he wants to do. And I can understand why, he's very handsome!

If he has conditions, why not?
After all, it's not a profession to exercise till the 50 years of age.

:previous: Thank you, eya. Interesting to see them refer to him by his full title. A lot of royals prefer to use surnames at work to blend in with the rest of the public.

Reactions: eya
That's indeed a surprisung choice; Nikolai de Monpezat would be a way to focus less on his titles.

I have the impression that it's not really common for the Danish royals to use "fake" surnames. While e.g. William and Harry were enrolled at school under the surname Wales, I think that the DRF children are enrolled as Prince(ss) firstname. (But maybe that's more due to the fact that before the Monpezat title was etabished there wasn't an obvious surname-choice available (as Wales for William and Harry)?)
So maybe it would feel weird or at least not natural for Nikolai to use a different surname/a surname at all?

(Thoug Frederik used "Henriksen" for his studies in the United Stated, IIRC. So my little theory might be completly wrong ;-))

Nikolai used a fake surname, his then step-fathers if i remember rightly, for a social media account so its not unheard of. Interesting he chooses to use his full title

Scoop Models have confirmed that Nikolai does have a contract with them and that it was this modelling agency that put forward Nikolai for Burberry.
Prins Nikolai får modelkontrakt - TV 2

It's not a career Nikolai has chosen, but more for the fun it, basically. And in order to earn some extra money besides his studies. - Nikolai like practically all other students in DK are eligable for SU = Statens Uddannelsesstøtte = (financial) State Subsidy while getting an education.
The amount varies, depending on his age, whether he lives at home, whether he has a child and so on.
Apart from that he can take a loan at reasonable interests while say studying at the university and he can earn a not inconsiderable amount at regular jobs to supplement his income.
Alexandra's secretary has written that Nikolai's model job has the full backing of his parents. - I'd say for mothers in particular perhaps there is considerable bragging-potential in having a son who is a model. ;)

For someone like Nikolai who is financially secure from his parents, should he really need money and a place to live, an occasional model job would IMO be ideal. - Better than working in a supermarket Saturday morning. :coffee:?

Nikolai used a fake surname, his then step-fathers if i remember rightly, for a social media account so its not unheard of. Interesting he chooses to use his full title

It is not clear to me if it was his choice or the agency's.

PS: By "the agency", I mean Scoop Models.

. ;)

For someone like Nikolai who is financially secure from his parents, should he really need money and a place to live, an occasional model job would IMO be ideal. - Better than working in a supermarket Saturday morning. :coffee:?

It would be interesting to go the supermarket on a Saturday morning and see an employee with the name "Prince Nikolai of Denmark" on his tag.

:previous: It'll be a supermarket with a lot of costumers Saturday morning! ?

More on why Nikolai was chosen: https://www.bt.dk/royale/modelchef-derfor-har-vi-valgt-prins-nikolai

Bente Lundquist is the owner of the modelling agency and she says:
"We've booket him based on his looks and not because he's a Prince, but it isn't a disadvantage. I've met him on several occasions through his mother, and there I have since he was a child said that he has some fantastic good looking features.
He'll probably mainly work internationally, but he does after all also have a school he has to attend".

Both his parents have been very understanding. There is a present no date on his next modelling job.

It seems he has a good head on his shoulders and you're right Muhler, it beats working the checkout in a supermarket. Nice to see him earning money and not expecting his family to keep his in the style to which he has become accustomed by birth.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-niko...e-kun-vaere-model-her-er-mine-nye-karrierevej

Nikolai has told the magazine Tæt På in an e-mail:
"After finishing high school it is my plan to start a two-year training for reserve-officers at the Army NCO School in Varde (garrison-town).

Efter min gymnasieuddannelse er min plan at påbegynde en toårig reserveofficeruddannelse på Hærens Sergentskole i Varde,

- That means he has already been admitted and since he has to graduate as an NCO before becoming an officer, in suggests he will start boot camp sometime after the summer holidays. Having completed that he will become an NCO before embarking on the crash course for officers of the reserves.

Had a look at what is required:
https://www2.forsvaret.dk/uddannelsessite/uddannelser/Pages/Lojtnant_i_haeren.aspx

The first six months is a combination of boot camp, and basic NCO training. Having completed that he will be appointed sergeant.
Then he will do a tour training conscripts for a month.
Having completed that he will go to the Army Combat School at Oksbøl training grounds for four months. Having completed that he will be appointed second lieutenant.
Then he will as a platoon leader be responsible for putting two sets of conscripts through boot camp and perform other duties for the next twelve months.
At the end of his two year education he will be appointed lieutenant.

His salary isn't wonderfully high, but certainly not bad either for a student of any field. The monthly salary from day one is: 21.600 DKK + plus various supplements. = 2.900 € = 3.500 $ = 2.500 £.

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks Muhler, and also for the extra background information. Always appreciate

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-niko...e-kun-vaere-model-her-er-mine-nye-karrierevej

Nikolai has told the magazine Tæt På in an e-mail:
"After finishing high school it is my plan to start a two-year training for reserve-officers at the Army NCO School in Varde (garrison-town).

Efter min gymnasieuddannelse er min plan at påbegynde en toårig reserveofficeruddannelse på Hærens Sergentskole i Varde,

- That means he has already been admitted and since he has to graduate as an NCO before becoming an officer, in suggests he will start boot camp sometime after the summer holidays. Having completed that he will become an NCO before embarking on the crash course for officers of the reserves.

Had a look at what is required:
https://www2.forsvaret.dk/uddannelsessite/uddannelser/Pages/Lojtnant_i_haeren.aspx

The first six months is a combination of boot camp, and basic NCO training. Having completed that he will be appointed sergeant.
Then he will do a tour training conscripts for a month.
Having completed that he will go to the Army Combat School at Oksbøl training grounds for four months. Having completed that he will be appointed second lieutenant.
Then he will as a platoon leader be responsible for putting two sets of conscripts through boot camp and perform other duties for the next twelve months.
At the end of his two year education he will be appointed lieutenant.

His salary isn't wonderfully high, but certainly not bad either for a student of any field. The monthly salary from day one is: 21.600 DKK + plus various supplements. = 2.900 € = 3.500 $ = 2.500 £.

With two years of military training ahead of him, can we pretty much rule out any new modeling job for Nikolai in the near future ?

With two years of military training ahead of him, can we pretty much rule out any new modeling job for Nikolai in the near future ?

From around August/September (I'm sure) he'll basically only be available during holidays and weekend leaves.

A little more from Nikolai's email response

"I do not want to pursue a career as a model, but rather to see it as a job to help me while I'm in training," Nikolai writes in his reply to Close.

Prince Nikolai also tells in the interview that he has got a catwalk training of Scoop Models, and then it is very different to be in focus as a model than when he is in focus as a Danish prince.
Soon he will also be seen as a model for the Danish brand Won Hundred."
https://www.seoghoer.dk/nyheder/kon...ke-forfoelge-en-modelkarriere#billede-60107-8

A little more from Nikolai's email response

"I do not want to pursue a career as a model, but rather to see it as a job to help me while I'm in training," Nikolai writes in his reply to Close.

I might sound unfamiliar with the modelling world to those who are more knowledgable about it; but there's something about Nikolai's response that sounds a little strange to me, as it doesn't seem like he's very enthusiastic about modelling. I don't know, if I were his boss reading this, I would get that impression. Perhaps it's common though to have models of similar backgrounds to Nikolai's using modelling as a side job, and the agency were obviously fine with it since he was hired anyway.

I might sound unfamiliar with the modelling world to those who are more knowledgable about it; but there's something about Nikolai's response that sounds a little strange to me, as it doesn't seem like he's very enthusiastic about modelling. I don't know, if I were his boss reading this, I would get that impression. Perhaps it's common though to have models of similar backgrounds to Nikolai's using modelling as a side job, and the agency were obviously fine with it since he was hired anyway.

I disagree. Maybe it's the translation? I'd translate his response as: "I do not wish to pursue a career as a model per se but rather to use it as a job that'll support me [financially, I suppose] while I am studying." In any way, I don't think he's unenthusiastic about the job, I just think he knows it isn't the path he wants to follow in the long run.

:previous: I guess I just found it strange because here in England we're encouraged to talk about why we love the particular career; though of course Nikolai may have mentioned that somewhere else as we do not have the full email. He seems to be enjoying modelling anyway, so that's the most important thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom