Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, Part 1: February 2012 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary of articles in Billed Bladet #35, 2017.
Written by Trine Larsen and Henrik Salling.

Nikolai had taken the day off from Herlufsholm boarding school and in the afternoon, his dad, mother and stepmother gathered at Villa Joachim, on Emiliekildevej, where Nikolai was presented with his new wheels. A Renault Twingo.
He immediately took the car out for a spin, with a broad smiling dad by his side and mother and Felix in the rear. Our Marie was busy recording the departure.
Outside the gate stood our men from BB.
Nikolai said: "The day has been fantastic. I've got some presents... yes, this one among them. And the weather is good, so that's nice too. It's the first ride in the new car. I'm sure it can easily drive from here to Herlufsholm".

Joachim, who's head was almost split in two, said: "Yes, it's me who has chosen the model".

The celebration in the evening started around 19.00 and the family started to arrive just prior to that.

QMII was the first and checked if everything was fine. BB says she is in residence at Dannebrog. Not Amalienborg, not Fredensborg, but Dannebrog...
PH was the next, arriving from Fredensborg. Due to his difficulties walking he opted for a gangway going directly to the quarter deck. (And well away from the press. I.e. outside audible shouting distance...). With him he brought a large present for Nikolai. (My guess it's either a shotgun or a rifle).
Next to arrive were Mary and her children. They walked from Amalienborg, which is located only a couple of hundred meters from where Dannebrog was moored. Josephine, in a dress from H&M, was half-dancing on the way.
Isabella wore a dress from Morley and both girls wore coats from Zara.
Mary wore a dress from Prada.
Once aboard the children were seen running on the deck.

Next to arrive were J&M and their two children. Marie wearing a dress from Erdem.
Joachim said: "Now he's gone from child to adult". Adding that considering his son's age, he himself had mere gone to being old.
About Nikolai's future he said: "Right now he is to continue in 3th g (last year in high school). He's going to wear a decent cap next summer". (referring to the cap, students wear upon graduation).
Joachim also expressed a hope that he had put Nikolai on the right course, a better course than he himself had as a young man. So Nikolai will hardly become a race driver or a farmer, if it's up to Joachim. (*)

Last to arrive were Nikolai with his mother and brother. Alexandra was very proud indeed and said so!
"It's always been my dearest wish to see my sons grow up and remain healthy and well, but also be wise, responsible and independent world-citizens. That Nikolai at the same time is a loving, caring, considerate, supporting, generous and easy with a laughter son, brother and friend makes me the proudest mother in the whole world.
Nikolai is born with a natural curiosity and a great appetite for life. I wish for him that he will have an exciting and happy journey through life, which I look very much forward to witness" .

The party ended around 21.30 - a belated bedtime for the youngest. First to leave were Mary with her children. Josephine was still in fine from!
The party strolled back to Amalienborg.
Between Amalienborg and the quay is a small park with a large fountain and here Christian had to put his fingers in the water. And with big-brother does, so does little brother... Except that Vincent almost went into the fountain. But Christain was close to keep an eye on his brother.
Mother Mary said: "It's been a very cozy birthday". (Can I use the word "hyggelig"? I understand it's been adopted in English English).

At 22.00 Nikolai's family said goodbye to each other. Nikolai said: "It's been a really good day". Then he departed with his mother and brother.

During the celebration PH decided to go for a boat ride, but that is covered in the PH-tread.

And here are some nice scans for your viewing pleasure.
BB#35, 2017

(*) This is the first time I've heard a hint that Joachim may not have been that pleased with his choice as a career as a farmer.

---------------

And here is a video of Nikolai's first drive: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/video-prins-nikolai-koerer-foerste-tur-i-sin-nye-bil

Last edited:
:previous: thank you!

Nice video of Nikolai first drive in his new car. Must have been exciting.
And very cute of Christian and Vincent touching the water in the fountain:flowers:

that is such a happy smile. Lovely photo!

Well, I don't mind him modelling. If he think that's fun or he's earning his own money that way, fine with me.

But to be honest, I do think the timing is a little off. After all his grandad was not a normal man and Nikolai doesn't belong to a normal family.

Last edited:
Well, I don't mind him modelling. If he think that's fun or he's earning his own money that way, fine with me.

But to be honest, I do think the timing is a little off. After all his grandad was not a normal man and Nikolai doesn't belong to a normal family.

Yes I’ve no issue at all with him modelling but agree that the timing is off. His grandpa had just passed and he flew to London after the coffin was transferred to Christiansborg for a fashion show.

I think he is a very unique looking kid, as is his brother. The timing is a little weird, but would PH have wanted him to go.....I think he would have. I'm sure he'll be back in time for the service.

I agree that the timing is insensitive, but this could be his way of showing that although his grandad was a prince, he no longer wishes to be considered royal...as has been previously discussed.:cool:

I agree that the timing is insensitive, but this could be his way of showing that although his grandad was a prince, he no longer wishes to be considered royal...as has been previously discussed.:cool:

Has this been discussed here? :)

https://ekstrabladet.dk/flash/kongelige/danskekongelige/prins-springer-ud-som-model/7047670

in this article it's said that yes, the timing was bad, but Nikolai had the support from his father Joachim and his mother Alexandra.

I agree that the timing could be better, but I also love that he walked the catwalk for Burberry :)

I'm quite surprised at Joachim allowing this, its not something I thought the very traditional Joachim would support but who knows.

I suppose that one could praise his work ethic, considering the timing and such.

In general I am not a great fan of royals & modelling, but he is of course free to do whatever he wants. It can be a fun experience for somebody his age. And an easy way to make some extra money next to his studies.

I too find the timing a bit off, but I suppose you can't avoid showing up to a fashion show when you have signed a contract...and using the "royal" card may not be the right thing to do in a business that has such a strong competition among models.

As a one off its okay, if its a new "career" then its not right IMO

Why exactly is it not right? Is Nikolai ever going to really “represent” the DRF?

I actually agree. Let him have the career of choice if it works out well for him. I am sure his grandmother is thrilled and encourages.

Those boys are simply stunning, like they will do so well in the model world and they have their family to keep them grounded. If that’s what Nikolai wants, and he’s clearly done it before as you don’t just walk straight for Burberry then go for it boy!

Is this really Nikolai or someone lookalike? I mean is it confirmed that it is him?

Yes, it is confirmed.

The story is also well featured in the media today, with several commentators voicing their opinion.
Going from cool, to interesting(!) to fine - poor timing though.

I fully agree on the very poor timing. Especially since the court is officially in mourning for a month and this glamurous activity was within the most significant week: between passing and funeral.

Why exactly is it not right? Is Nikolai ever going to really “represent” the DRF?

I just don't think its a suitable career and as stunning as they boys may be I'm doubt he got there completely just on his looks, its the in thing to have a royal modelling at the moment. If he wants to do it then of course he is free to do so.

But to be honest, I do think the timing is a little off. After all his grandad was not a normal man and Nikolai doesn't belong to a normal family,
I too find the timing a bit off, but I suppose you can't avoid showing up to a fashion show when you have signed a contract...and using the "royal" card may not be the right thing to do in a business that has such a strong competition among models.
While it may be poorly timed, I am sure he was under contract for that fashion show and to pull the pin would be disadvantageous if he wishes to pursue this type of career. Just as he got a car for his birthday, he also got his recognition of adulthood and honouring your obligations is just one of those necessary tradeoffs.

I realise that his family is not "just any family" but the people who employed him would not have minded his not appearing for a funeral but I doubt they would understand Court Mourning. I think it was quite a harsh lesson in being an adult.

Actually, as far as I can see, about the only thing a child has to do that an adult does not, is eat their broccoli

Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 1: February 2012 -

I just don't think its a suitable career and as stunning as they boys may be I'm doubt he got there completely just on his looks, its the in thing to have a royal modelling at the moment. If he wants to do it then of course he is free to do so.

Just out of curiosity do you think it’s an unsuitable career for a royal or in general? I don’t think it’s the “in” thing, I think we just see it now with the access to social media. I disagree with the “only on his looks” comment as the only “insider” he has to lean on is Marie Chantal at a stretch, other than that people will not know who he is.

Side note: I’ll be interested to know what surname he’s using? If any.

In regards to the timing as previously stated this show has been on the cards for months if not a year, Nikolai would have been contractually obliged to attend and whilst I imagine he may have been excused? life goes on...

Well that's me told not to have an opinion...
I think its a very good career (I don't see where I said otherwise) and in fact a guy I went to school with is a very well known model. I just thing it completely leaves Nikolai open to comments of using his royal status IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom