Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 2: July 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And one is George Blandford.
George Blandford and George Spencer-Churchill is the same person. It's a perfect illustration of the discussion going on in the British titles forum about aristocratic titles used as surnames.

George Blandford and George Spencer-Churchill is the same person. It's a perfect illustration of the discussion going on in the British titles forum about aristocratic titles used as surnames.

Before his father became the 12th Duke of Marlborough, was he known as George Sunderland instead ? The use of titles as surnames is very confusing when titles change throughout someone's life.

Yes, I know. I didn't see that he was already identified in the posts above..

Before his father became the 12th Duke of Marlborough, was he known as George Sunderland instead ? The use of titles as surnames is very confusing when titles change throughout someone's life.

Probably it was less confusing in the period when the custom developed, i.e., prior to the evolution of modern needs such as passports, social media and professional branding.

I wonder how long the Glücksburgs will be able to maintain their refusal to use a surname, particularly in the current situation where Prince Joachim's children are/will be allowed to earn a professional income without government oversight. Every other reigning house in Europe either holds a legal surname or uses the name of their country or their dynasty as a surname for certain purposes.

I wonder how long the Glücksburgs will be able to maintain their refusal to use a surname, particularly in the current situation where Prince Joachim's children are/will be allowed to earn a professional income without government oversight.
They've never had any need for a family name uptil now but as you imply that need might change. Those princes who married unequally got the name "af Rosenborg" and those princes who remained in the line of succession used their royal titles even if working commercially (that said it was much different times back then). Nicolai apparently uses his mother's title of "Frederiksborg" when working as a model and I wonder if her surname after her two divorces is "af Frederiksborg".
I'd say that as long as Vincent, Nicolai, Felix & Henrik carry the title of prince they won't need a family name but maybe, I'm speculating here, the creation of the Danish comital title "af Monpezat" has given the members of the family a surname to be used when they so wish?

Last edited:
Or "de Laborde" after their grandpa.

They've never had any need for a family name uptil now but as you imply that need might change. Those princes who married unequally got the name "af Rosenborg" and those princes who remained in the line of succession used their royal titles even if working commercially (that said it was much different times back then). Nicolai apparently uses his mother's title of "Frederiksborg" when working as a model and I wonder if her surname after her two divorces is "af Frederiksborg".
I'd say that as long as Vincent, Nicolai, Felix & Henrik carry the title of prince they won't need a family name but maybe, I'm speculating here, the creation of the Danish comital title "af Monpezat" has given the members of the family a surname to be used when they so wish?

I agree. Nikolai's family name, if needed, should be 'af Monpezat' since it is his patrilineal surname and the name attached to his comital title.

As of now, according to the Royal House, he is 'Nikolai William Alexander Frederik, Prins til Danmark, greve af Monpezat', or, in the short citation, simply 'H.H. Prins Nikolai', see this link.

Last edited:
I didn't know that Nikolai is friends with Princess Maria-Olympia or several British aristocrats; but I guess when you're a royal you just know a lot of people in high society, or if not will be mutually introduced to them.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #4, 2020.
Written by Trine Larsen.

As you recall, Nikolai was a model for Dior Homme in Paris recently.

Joachim and our Marie were there as well, sitting on the front row. And it was the first time they saw Nikolai on the catwalk. After the fashion show they went backstage.
(I guess I have to scan the article, some of you are gonna love the photo with J&M - for fashion-reasons...)
Nikolai is becoming a regular model for Dior and the reason is that the Dior chief-designer, Kim Jones, very much like Nikolai's looks, attitude and background. - And Kim Jones is half Danish. That helps too, even though he was born in London.

After some time back stage it was off for the weekend, which Nikolai spend at home with Joachim and Marie.

From the photos in the article it's clear that all the androgen-looking male models wore earrings and gemstones in the corners of their eyes.

A good friend of Nikolai was also on the catwalk. A Lukas Gomann.

Athena is so cute! I can't believe she's 8 already. I like how the dog was included in the photos too.

Yes, IIRC our Marie's Apple died not that long ago, and they have a new one.

https://www.bt.dk/kendte/prins-nikolais-kaereste-flytter-i-millionlejlighed

Nikolai's girlfriend, Benedikte Thoustrup, has moved into her own apartment at Store Kongensgade (downtown Copenhagen) purchased by her parents for almost one million Euro.
The large apartment is 128 square meters.

According to the Public Register, she moved in there in mid January.

In contrast Nikolai moved into his own apartment, also located in a desired part of Copenhagen. His "mere" 70 square meter apartment cost 4.1 million DKK.

Nikolai has Benedikte have just returned from a skiing holiday together in the French Alps. At Couchevel.

- I think it's safe to say that both apartments are an investment.

What did she say?

Basically that she only offered advise when asked by her son in regards to furnishing his apartment. Because you should be careful about not taking over.

She offered advise in particular about storage, because this an area where women know more about how much room you really need.

- Perhaps she has her future daughter-in-law, Benedikte, in mind (if and when Nikolai ever pops the question) in regards to Nikolai buying cupboards and closets large enough. ?
As any seasoned husband knows when you buy a new wardrobe: One quarter is for the husband, the rest for the wife. That's a law of nature and there is nothing you can do about it.

That's something men, especially young men, simply can't fathom. (Not least because most of Nikolai's clothes are destined to be lying around on the floor or slung over tables and chairs anyway. :D)
Nikolai has no doubt looked at a closet like this and thought: There is oceans of room for all my clothes!
https://brandiliving.dk/2950-thickbox_default/2-flojet-garderobeskab.jpg

And Alexandra has immediately responded: No, there isn't! And certainly not with a nesting girlfriend around.

What! Are you saying that Nikolai is a slob who uses a floordrobe?

What! Are you saying that Nikolai is a slob who uses a floordrobe?

Floodrobe? That's new to me. :lol:

Mmnaahh. - I'm saying Nikolai is an unmarried young man. ;)
A man like that can have a dead cow in his bathtub without noticing it! Another law of nature. ?

https://www.bt.dk/kendte/prins-nikolais-kaereste-flytter-i-millionlejlighed

Nikolai's girlfriend, Benedikte Thoustrup, has moved into her own apartment at Store Kongensgade (downtown Copenhagen) purchased by her parents for almost one million Euro.
The large apartment is 128 square meters.

According to the Public Register, she moved in there in mid January.

In contrast Nikolai moved into his own apartment, also located in a desired part of Copenhagen. His "mere" 70 square meter apartment cost 4.1 million DKK.

Nikolai has Benedikte have just returned from a skiing holiday together in the French Alps. At Couchevel.

- I think it's safe to say that both apartments are an investment.

Not only that but a way to legally transfer money to your kids. As soon as the kids earn their own money, they can buy the apartment from their parents for an agreed sum which is far below what the apartment had cost or is worth at that time. So the parents make a loss from selling the apartment and the kids can use their payments to lower their taxes. Or so I read as a reason why rich people in Denmark buy apartments for their kids and sell them to them later on.

Reactions: eya
:previous: Yes, and the picture of the family probably around the same time. It even looks like our Marie is holding a phone/camera.

- And as always when something interesting is going on, dad is relegated to holding the dog. Hmm, wonder why I find that familiar? :confused:

New pictures for his 11th Birthday of Prince Henrik!

Nye billeder | Kongehuset

Pictures taken by Princess Athena!!

With the changes made to the Swedish royal house last year (birthday photographs of Prince Carl Philip's and Princess Madeleine's children are no longer published by the Swedish court, although their parents publish them on their personal social media), I think the Danish royal house is the only remaining European monarchy which treats children of a monarch's younger child as essentially equal to the children of a future monarch. It will be interesting to see whether that remains the case, given that Prince Joachim's children appear to be destined for more private careers than Princess Elisabeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom