Prince Joachim to Marry Marie Cavallier: October 3, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What would the Danish pronunciation be? Similar to French or closer to "Maria"?

Back on page 9 in post #179 there is a good description of how Marie's name is pronounced in Danish. Apparently the "Mar" is pronounced more like "Mur".

Well you would think I knew them personally because I just can't seem to get enough. This is going to be fun to watch all the things transpire over the next 6-8 months. I think I figured something out too during this announcement. Possibly I feel more interested because it is a love I have watched grow thru to this point. Now I suppose I understand other posters more intense like for certain couples. I have to admit when you get to see it from the beginning it is different. With all other royals I really had to just learn about and decide if I like them or not, plus they were already married so it was the unit I had to decide on as a whole. Not sure if I'm making any kind of sense, but hopefully I am.

Well you would think I knew them personally because I just can't seem to get enough. This is going to be fun to watch all the things transpire over the next 6-8 months. I think I figured something out too during this announcement. Possibly I feel more interested because it is a love I have watched grow thru to this point. Now I suppose I understand other posters more intense like for certain couples. I have to admit when you get to see it from the beginning it is different. With all other royals I really had to just learn about and decide if I like them or not, plus they were already married so it was the unit I had to decide on as a whole. Not sure if I'm making any kind of sense, but hopefully I am.

I agree - and you are making sense!:flowers:

I've read some months ago about one thing: When Mary cut her hair, everybody was quite surprised. Did she want to look more serious? I don't think so. I've read that she did it to be not so similar to Marie and that she's afraid of losing her uniqueness. I also have read that she didn't like her new cut. And that christening when Mary, Frederik and Christian were present, Joachim and Marie too. I don't know whose christening was it, I think it was the christening of the daughter of Mary's and Frederik's friends. Do you remember Mary's hair? She has never done her hair like that. She looked beautiful but I think she did it to look a little bit different from Marie. I think Mary is really afraid, because she's not the only one anymore. But I think she is still the leader because SHE will be the queen and she gave birth to a future king. That's why she wins, in her opinion I think.

I really doubt that Mary cut her hair because she was threatened by Marie. Mary has been holding her own in Denmark and doing a wonderful job. I doubt a new Princess could cause her to go to such great lengths! We don't know the nature of their relationship (although Marie's comments about not knowing Mary wenough to say what she could learn from her ere very telling :ermm: I think she should have said someting positive rather than something "neutral." ). I can see the coming headlines now: Mary and Marie at war. Mary threatens Marie. Marie univites Mary from her wedding. :rolleyes:

Back on page 9 in post #179 there is a good description of how Marie's name is pronounced in Danish. Apparently the "Mar" is pronounced more like "Mur".
I think we pronounce the 'Mar' in Danish as well - and then the final -e is distinct - which it is not in French I think. So it would sound more like [Mari:ee].
I haven't seen or heard people in Denmark comment on the similarities of the names; they really do sound different in Danish.

I think there were three dogs there, one from Henrik, Marie's white dog and the Joaquim's new dog! Where is Mary and Frederik? Where were does pictures taken???

I like Marie already. She is lovely. I like her style, her smile, her naturalness,...
But why is it wrong to compare Marie and Crownprincess Mary?

Yes, but in French it is pronounced Mur as well ( like in bus , a short "ah" sound) , not like the "a" in Mary.
The difference to French is the ending.

Yes, but in French it is pronounced Mur as well ( like in bus , a short "ah" sound) , not like the "a" in Mary.
The difference to French is the ending.

I went and listened to the pronunciations of Marie and Mary on different videos. I hear the difference now! Marie is said so quick together that it seems the "r" is only lightly pronounced almost skipped over. Or at least that is what my ears heard. And for Mary the "Mar" is sharper and the "y" was only lightly heard by my ears. But the strongness and lightness of the "ie" or the "y" is difinitely the biggest difference in Danish. Whereas in English the difference is mostly in the first syllable "Mar".

I am not usually a "Joachim watcher"...I prefer to focus on his Australian sister-in-law...but I am excited about this news!!! Another royal wedding to look forward to (and a royal wedding dress, sorry Joachim ;) )

But now finding out more information about Marie Cavallier, there seem to be SOO many similiarities between her and Mary...not just physically (both brunettes with brown eyes) but birthdates (Mary, 5th Feb and Marie, 6th Feb)...youngest in a large family (Mary one of four, Marie one of five)...both have step-parents (Mary because of death of mother, father remarried, Marie because of divorce, mother remarried)...Both engaged on a similar date (Mary, 8 October, 2003; Marie, 3 October 2007)

Sorry to do the unthinkable and compare Marie with Mary but the similarities are too hard to ignore...

So enough of the similarities...here's where they differ (on a more superficial level)...I prefer Mary's engagment outfit (beige dress with belt detail and tweed dress coat and cool shoes) Marie's was just too white, conservative and boring...her black shoes looked clunky...

The ring - this is why men should never design jewellery (remember Sophie Wessex's black pearl cross necklace she wore on her weddingday designed by Prince Edward...awful!)...I like the idea of the red, white and blue for the French flag, but it should have been on a simpler band (not filigree)...it looks huge and gaudy...

Anyway enough, I can't wait until next year for the wedding to see what Marie (and Mary)will be wearing...and then there's the question of children(and their names) I love the idea of Joachim and Marie having more kids and them having French (ish) names...Princess Antoinette or Prince Sebastian...

In the IPA pictures posted by Her_Majesty, Marie is wearing her engagement ring on her right hand. Is this due to the European tradition of wearing the engagement ring on their right hand? Yesterday it was on her left hand

Last edited:
Could it be that the photographs were reversed?

Engagement and wedding rings are normally worn on the right hand in Europe, yes (England discluded).

HM The Queen and HRH The Prince Consort wear there's on their right hands and TRH The Crown Prince and Crown Princess wear theres on their left hand (notably keeping with a custom known to the culture Mary was raised in).

Could it be that the photographs were reversed?

I doubt it, everything else in the pictures looks the right way around. If Marie is going to wear the ring on her right hand, why did she wear it on the left yesterday?

Last edited:
I doubt it, everything else in the pictures looks the right way around. If Marie is going to wear the ring on her right hand, why did she wear it on the left yesterday?

I don't know, JessRulz. Ask her...;) j/k

In DRW's they had this picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/gigi_ho/drws/2f0af9c3.jpg

and I noticed Frederik was in there. Where was Mary? Sorry if OT, but why wouldn't she be in the picture?

As mentioned in the beginning of the thread - Mary does not attend the council of state and is therefore not included in the picture, which is of the members of the council.

As for the people who have mentioned that Mary and Frederik were not included in the official pictures of the family - Alexandra and Joachim were not included in Mary and Frederik's engagement pictures. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ince-frederik-mary-donaldson-2003-a-1007.html Nor was Frederik in the engagement pictures from Joachim's first engagement (that I could see). The engagement pictures seem to be about the couple, their parents and in Joachim's case, his sons.

It wasn't Mary's big day - it was Marie's. :flowers:

Congratulations to Joachim and Marie! It is indeed a very happy time for Denmark and the royal family.
I admit I used to doubt Marie as suitable "Princess" material since she was so chatty with the press but now that she seems to have gone through minor "Princess School" she has become much more polished since Easter. She seems bright, nice, and genuine during the press conference and she seems to make Joachim very happy. I'm glad that both Joachim and Alexandra have managed to happily go on with their lives and support each other.
I really hope that Mary and Marie don't end up being compared because they are two very different women with two very different roles for Denmark. I wish Marie all the best of luck with learning the Danish language and settling into life in Denmark. I think she'll be fine since she's made numerous trips to Denmark, has some Danish girlfriends, and seems to know quite a few languages to tide her over until she's fluent in Danish.
On a superficial note, I'm excited to see her in a tiara! I wonder if Margrethe and Henrik will purchase one for her like they did for Mary or allow Marie to use one from the collection. Also, I really don't like the ring. It's a nice homage to Marie and Joachim's French ancestry but I think the overall look would have been nicer if the band was platinum or white gold. However, it's not my ring so as long as Marie is happy with it!
Does anyone know how big this wedding will be? It is Joachim's second but Marie's first and I would like to see something a bit lavish (I love weddings). I'm hoping for some royal guests, at least from their Norwegian and Swedish neighbors!

It wasn't Mary's big day - it was Marie's. :flowers:

You echoed my sentiments exactly. I think that had Mary been there the photographers would undoubtedly focus on both ladies and that is not right in my opinion. It's Marie's day, lets not steal her thunder!:flowers:

When do you think will the wedding date be announced? Before or after the end of October?

In the beginning of the engagement interview a Danish reporter told Marie how her name is pronounced in Danish.
IMO it sounds very similar to the French pronunciation of Marie.

It's like the French Mari (e) with an added "ye". Germanic languages tend to add a "j" (German pronounciation) or "y" (English one) after "i" when followed by a vocal like "e" or "a". It's easier to speak that way.The "e" is "ye" is not a clear "e" but like in "yes", without the "s".

A friend of mine is called Viviana (after the Catholic saint) and the name is spoken "Vivi-yana". Same with Mari-ye.

Hope this helps.

When do you think will the wedding date be announced? Before or after the end of October?

I think they''ll fix the date once the most important guests they want to have there have confirmed the date. If they want to invite Haakon & Mette-Marit and/or Victoria as they are cousins of the groom, they have to check with the Norwegian and Swedish court first to find a suitable date. And then they'll go public with the date.

I havent watched the interview yet, but was their any hint on whether the wedding would take place begining, mid or late spring?

I saw a part of the interview on youtube. I am sorry if this was asked before but I haven't been reading all 18 pages, but did they only speak english at the press conference? The english of Prince Joachim is very good btw.

Marie seems a lovely and modest lady, with some sensible comments too.

Very orangy gold, loud design and loud colours, it says a lot about their taste.

Sorry, but in my little ole humble opinion, but that ring really overwhelms her hand. The gems look like they've been pasted on.

With the resources these folks have on hand, Joachim could have gotten her a much more lovely ring and still had all the wonderful symbolism. But it's what they (not all of us) think.

Yay! A royal wedding to look forward to! When I first saw a pic of her at hellomagazine.com, I thought she looked so young! She's really very pretty (of cours), how fun!

I saw a part of the interview on youtube. I am sorry if this was asked before but I haven't been reading all 18 pages, but did they only speak english at the press conference?

Yes. As Marie does not speak Danish yet, the language of the press conference was in English.

wow. I am so appalled at all the nasty comments being directed Marie's way in this thread. I am tempted to go on YouTube and put up my own "Chris Crocker style" video: "Leave Marie alone. She's a human!"

Back
Top Bottom